Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:38 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra (28048 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by AtikuNetwork: 10:33pm On Jan 04, 2021
Chimamanda Adichie gave her opinion about Biafra during her interview with Ebuka Obi-Uchendu.

The renowned writer wondered how Igbos can achieve Biafra when they can't unite towards selecting a Nigerian president who is from the region.

The 43-year-old said Igbo people need to rethink how they strategise politically before talking about secession.

She said: "There is no Biafra. There are new movements but, for me, it’s a question of being practical. Where would the border be? What is propelling these movements is a sense of marginalisation, which I think is completely valid.

"But this idea that the answer is independence is what I’m not convinced of. Nobody has made a logical case for me. Quite frankly, I’ve observed the terrible leadership that we have in the southeast.

"Igbo people cannot unite if, for example, we say we want an Igbo president. And then we’re talking about Biafra. There is a lot of political work we need to do in the southeast.

"We need to do a lot of rethinking on how we strategise politically before we can talk about Biafra."

She also spoke about misogyny in the South East and its effect on politics.

She said: "There are things I quarrel with, in Igbo culture. It’s misogynistic, as are many cultures. That’s the problem. The world is misogynistic. At my father’s funeral, they showed where the widow, my mother, would sit.

"And they showed where the sons in the extended family (umunna) would sit. That’s where those coming would go to present whatever they bring. It’s the sons’. And that was the end. My father had three daughters. There was no place for them.

"I raised the question and a man in my umunna said we would have to loiter around. There’s a problem with that.

"There’s a woman who apparently is going to run for governor in Anambra state.

"I’m having a conversation with a group of people and what they’re saying is, ‘Can a woman rule Anambra?’ Do you need a dangling organ to rule a state? It’s hard enough for both male and female politicians.

"But women have this additional problem of perception, a reason for which many people won’t vote them.

"Igbo culture is just not very good when it comes to gender. Culture as we have it are rules men made to benefit men.

"In my hometown, I seem to have this status of an ‘honorary man’ and that’s because of my achievements. People adapt when they see some benefits to it which means that it’s changeable. It’s engraved on the stones."

https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2021/1/igbo-people-cant-unite-for-presidency-yet-talk-about-biafra-chimamanda-adichie.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGA6fTdInfo

63 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by NwaNimo1(m): 10:34pm On Jan 04, 2021
Hmmm.....

69 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Paperworka: 10:35pm On Jan 04, 2021
she is right because envy is too much in Igbo land, everyone is competing on who will make it bigger, some team up with their enemies not minding the consequences, some go as far as converting to Islam in order to get favor from Fulani, sabotage everywhere. An example are the Eastern governors who has gone as far as serving the caliphates in order to gain political presence, imaging going as far as sokoto to bow to the caliphate before you can be recognized as a governor in your own state ohh!

The Good news is that God has sent a savior called MNK even though almost all political elites in southeast are fighting him so as to impress the Caliphate because they are gunning for an Igbo presidency.

God will arrest all our Enemies, Isee

159 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Ojiofor: 10:36pm On Jan 04, 2021
Igbos miscreants are saboteurs of Igbo presidency project.

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by NwaNimo1(m): 10:38pm On Jan 04, 2021
Paperworka:
rigth

ok
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by feedthenation(m): 10:40pm On Jan 04, 2021
---It will be a tall-order for an Igbo presidency---i perceive someone from the south-south will be president again before the south-east---

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Okoroawusa: 10:43pm On Jan 04, 2021
She raised some valid points sha... especially on the way we treat umuada.

95 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by chatinent: 10:45pm On Jan 04, 2021
It is not about Biafra.

Man's government cannot solve man's greatest problems.

Only one government can: God's kingdom.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Dreambeat: 10:52pm On Jan 04, 2021
And who told her that most Igbos would choose presidency over Biafra? It is only the politicians that want presidency, the average Igbo man wants Biafra

163 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by vanunu: 10:53pm On Jan 04, 2021
The first female civilian governor is from Anambra.
Even Buhari contested against Umaru Yaradua a fellow Fulani man. It is not every northerner that supports one Nigeria, some are for a total Islamic state. so I don't know what this woman is talking about.

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by 360degreess(m): 10:54pm On Jan 04, 2021
I think she is right..

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by HeadShot: 10:55pm On Jan 04, 2021
vanunu:
The first female civilian governor is from Anambra.
Even Buhari contested against Umaru Yaradua a fellow Fulani man, so I don't know what this woman is talking about.

undecided

Just a case of sensational headline....

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by amuwo1980: 10:59pm On Jan 04, 2021
Did she really say that? Am shocked she is this political naive.

29 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by gidgiddy: 11:02pm On Jan 04, 2021
Igbo presidency and Biafra are two seperate things, they have no connection whatsoever

84 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jan 04, 2021
Lol Adichie trying to be diplomatic and let Igbos and their fragile egos down lightly. She should just come out and say she regrets being Igbo and an Igbo woman specifically because we know how scathing and mercilessly critical she would be, placard and all, if a Yoruba woman , in Yorubaland, went through what her and her mother went through at her father's funeral.

This is another Igbo who will certainly never ever live in SE Nigeria but does not want to risk upsetting Igbo coming out to say their ways is repressive, unfair, shameful and disgustly misogynistic.

IPOBian, one of your most distinguished female has spoken. Hope you can all see you have work to do and are far behind the civilised , sophisticated and effortlessly suave Yorubas you're always trying to square up to.

Go and fix your broken homes, States and region instead of obsessing over others. I am sure that is the message Adichie would love to pass but can never knowing you intolerant babies would likely banish her family from ala Igbo. Lol.

91 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Okwyjesus(m): 11:05pm On Jan 04, 2021
AtikuNetwork:
https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2021/1/igbo-people-cant-unite-for-presidency-yet-talk-about-biafra-chimamanda-adichie.html

Mynd44
Lalasticlala

Average lgbo indigene believes the tribe is marginalized and a nation is sitting comfortable with citizens on that perception.
That's doom.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jan 04, 2021
Finally some one with sense but Ñnamdi kàlu uneducated illiterate would not listen

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jan 04, 2021
amuwo1980:
Did she really say that? Am shocked she is this political naive.

Lol. Predictable. One of the 'throwback' chauvinist Adichie was less than impressed with .

9 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by OsuAmaka: 11:10pm On Jan 04, 2021
I'm ibo, i regret being ibo. Our daughters are treated like a pariah and our mothers a leper. Our women are a target for money rituals by get-rich-quick, title-hungry wolves but in Yoruba land, a woman can become a regent to adore.

-Osu amaka

42 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nigeriabiafra80: 11:11pm On Jan 04, 2021
Ok
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by yanabasee(m): 11:12pm On Jan 04, 2021
So, Tinubu should come forth and claim the presidency then.....

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jan 04, 2021
gidgiddy:
Igbo presidency and Biafra are two seperate things, they have no connection whatsoever

Did you go to school? If yes did you sleep through all lessons? If not, what is confusing in Adichie's opinion which is that Igbos are confused and not united over what they want and thus likely to fail? What she writes below is clear enough for even a child of 6 to understand.

You guys are just too egotistical, belligerent and vainglorious to ever accept correction over your redundant ways and mindset.

"Igbo people cannot unite if, for example, we say we want an Igbo president. And then we’re talking about Biafra. There is a lot of political work we need to do in the southeast.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jan 04, 2021
yanabasee:
So, Tinubu should come forth and claim the presidency then.....

Where is Tinubu mentioned here and what concerns him with words meant to make Igbos do some introspection and soul-searching?

Go and deal with the issues one of your foremost and most revered Igbos has raised and leave Tinubu off your tongue for once.

Abi Adichie is no longer in the category of Igbos who can say and do no wrong?

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by gidgiddy: 11:27pm On Jan 04, 2021
OneTemplate:

Did you go to school? If yes did you sleep through all lessons? If not, what is confusing in Adichie's opinion which is that Igbos are confused and not united over what they want and thus likely to fail? What she writes below is clear enough for even a child of 6 to understand.

You guys are just too egotistical, belligerent and vainglorious to ever accept correction over your redundant ways and mindset.

Stop talking nonsense. She said that Igbos are not united enough about the Presidency of Nigeria to be talking about Biafra. The question then is, must you be united about about the Presidency of the country you belong to before you agitate for your independence?

Should Scotland have been united about producing the Prime minister of the United kingdom before seeking and getting their 2014 independence referendum?

Should Eriterians have been united about seeking the Presidency of Ethiopia before they agitated about having their independence from Ethiopia?

If Adichie is saying that Igbos are not united enough amongsts themselves to talk or go for Biafra, then there is no point to Nigeria because Nigerians are not united about anything, but still have Nigeria

80 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Marine54(m): 11:27pm On Jan 04, 2021
OneTemplate:

Where is Tinubu mentioned here and what concerns him with words that is meant to make Igbos do some introspection and soul-searching?

Go and deal with the issues one of your foremost and most revered Igbos has raised and leave Tinubu off your tongue for once.

Abi Adichie is no longer in the category of Igbos who can say and do no wrong?
If referendum is conducted today in Igbo land to choose between Igbo presidency and succession.
Majority will choose succession over presidency!

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Ikinternational: 11:41pm On Jan 04, 2021
Biafra is a nice dream. Restructuring is a better reality

No sane igbo is hung up on Biafra.

Kanu would've been better running for office and working for Restructuring from the inside.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by googlepikins: 11:44pm On Jan 04, 2021
Ok

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Ikinternational: 11:51pm On Jan 04, 2021
OneTemplate:
Lol Adichie trying to be diplomatic and let Igbos and their fragile egos down lightly. She should just come out and say she regrets being Igbo and an Igbo woman specifically because we know how scathing and mercilessly critical she would be, placard and all, if a Yoruba woman , in Yorubaland, went through what her and her mother went through at her father's funeral.

This is another Igbo who will certainly never ever live in SE Nigeria but does not want to risk upsetting Igbo coming out to say their ways is repressive, unfair, shameful and disgustly misogynistic.

IPOBian, one of your most distinguished female has spoken. Hope you can all see you have work to do and are far behind the civilised , sophisticated and effortlessly suave Yorubas you're always trying to square up to.

Go and fix your broken homes, States and region instead of obsessing over others. I am sure that is the message Adichie would love to pass but can never knowing you intolerant babies would likely banish her family from ala Igbo. Lol.

Great novel you wrote there. Hope it makes the soup taste better getting all that off your chest.
Even the Europeans are marveled at the level of sophistication from your land.

Fantastic lecturing. You did well

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by marsman: 12:12am On Jan 05, 2021
gidgiddy:
But one must go for one

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Charmingrascal(m): 12:25am On Jan 05, 2021
No tribe or region in Nigeria is completely in unison, as long as there are different intellectuals and individuals there will always be diverse of thoughts.

"Igbo can't do this, Igbos can't do that" is just another way of causing unnecessary digression
Everybody must not support a cause, sometimes it is not the quantity of those who are for a cause that matters it is the quality, the weight, the strength, the zeal and passion.

I am Yoruba but I can tell you that Biafra can be achieved if the zeal and passion to achieve it is strong.
Even though on several occasions I have disagreed and openly condemned Kanu's way of agitating I think Kanu has the interest of Igbos at heart more than some of these so called Igbo elites, intellectuals and politicians.
In what way has Chimanda supported the Biafra or Igbo Presidency agenda?

Ka ye pa iro fun ara wa.
Ko si nkan nkan to wu ni lori lati je omo orile ede yi.

How many Yorubas supported Obasanjo's Presidency?
He still won because sometimes it is not about the quantity but the quality.

Nigeria is too big to have a central government, we need to restructure or break up.

The discourse now should not be whether Igbos are United or not, it should rather be how can she contribute her own quota in helping the Igbos achieve what they want.

60 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Nigerian Authors Whose Books You Must Read This Year / My Marriage (short Story ) / Okwui Enwezor Dies Of Cancer At 55

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.