Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,598 members, 7,827,255 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra (28108 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by austinkenneth: 3:26am On Jan 05, 2021
AtikuNetwork:
https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2021/1/igbo-people-cant-unite-for-presidency-yet-talk-about-biafra-chimamanda-adichie.html

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
The Igbo culture like other cultures is misogynistic but she has done some embellishment of the level of misogyny.

For those who do not understand, while the sons sit with all the sons of the extended family (called the Umunna), the daughters also sit with all the daughters of the extended family (called the Umuada).

The difference is that the Umunna table is the main table while the Umuada table is not the main table. That is the extent of the misogyny there is and not to say there is no place at all for them to sit. That's a no no.

That she had to ask where to sit even shows she doesn't even understand the culture in depth because if she did, she would known she had a good place to sit as one of the persons in charge of tending to the umu ada on that day.

Then, a better complaint would have been, why are the kids not all on the main table together.

10 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by WoundedLamb: 4:40am On Jan 05, 2021
austinkenneth:

The Igbo culture like other cultures is misogynistic but she has done some embellishment of the level of misogyny.

For those who do not understand, while the sons sit with all the sons of the extended family (called the Umunna), the daughters also sit with all the daughters of the extended family (called the Umuada).

The difference is that the Umunna table is the main table while the Umuada table is not the main table. That is the extent of the misogyny there is and not to say there is no place at all for them to sit. That's a no no.

That she had to ask where to sit even shows she doesn't even understand the culture in depth because if she did, she would known she had a good place to sit as one of the persons in charge of tending to the umu ada on that day.

Then, a better complaint would have been, why are the kids not all on the main table together.

Thanks for this insight.

However, I think you've just watered down her complaints and placed yours as "a better complaint". Bro, there is no such as "a better complaint" cause you don't get to tell people what they should complain about; you aren't in their shoe. You used the vague expressions "main table" and "not main table" to downplay the whole thing but if you throw more light, you'd realize it's not really far from what she said. The only difference is that she gave the details of what makes the umunna table the "main table" while you didn't. And like they say, the devil is in those details. In other words, what you referred to as the main-table/not-main-table concept was exactly what she elaborated about and that's her complaint. She said the fact that the men's table was were all visitors go to on arrival and drop their items which technically then belong to the men (a concept you conveniently summarized as "main table" ) is problematic.

As for the sitting issue, you're probably right she missed the sitting arrangement but it wouldn't be fair to just conclude based of our general understanding of the Igbo culture. I don't know the culture like you cause I've not really lived in Nigeria but I go home often enough and I've been to two burial ceremonies before, and the sitting arrangements were not exactly the same. At the first one, I saw the widow's section, the men's section and the section for the daughters. Each of these sections had tables in front of it. The dead man's brothers and his sons sat at their own table while other males sat behind. The widow sat at her own table surrounded by co-wives. One would think the man's daughters would also sit at their own table but instead, the eldest daughters in the extended family took that position. At the second ceremony, each of the daughters came with her own husband and they got a section each.

I don't know what the arrangement was at her father's burial ceremony but it would be unfair to just waive her complaints aside on the grounds of what we believe ab ideal sitting arrangement to be. She's not exactly stupid so if she asked why there wasn't any seat for them, it's probably cause she didn't see that arrangement and the response she got goes to show your assumption might be miles away from reality. Otherwise, the man would have just pointed her to the location where she was supposed to sit.

My summary is, except we were there, we're in no position to counter her narration of her own personal experience. Happy new year!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by abc115: 5:11am On Jan 05, 2021
Misogynistic culture. Feminist Angle

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 5:16am On Jan 05, 2021
I ask, why did she marry dat same "DANGLING ORGAN.? IF she truly addressed MEN as DANGLING ORGANS, then I will I be right if I address Ladies as VACUUMS/ HOLES...since they carry vacuums/HOLES between their thighs, still looking for dangling organs to fill up their vacuums/Holes.
Nonsense.

Issues of Cultural heritage are better discussed with utmost care and regard. IF you choose to insult the MEN, how do you then get to assemble the same MEN ( dangling organs) to look into all these..?

IF you truly uttered this, you have lost all the regard and respect I have for you. U think u can stay in the US and change culture without going back home.
I wonder how you were able to secure the same DANGLING ORGAN for a husband..?

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by BlessedNuel: 7:17am On Jan 05, 2021
Bitter truth

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Sammy07: 8:24am On Jan 05, 2021
gidgiddy:

Stop talking nonsense. She said that Igbos are not united enough about the Presidency of Nigeria to be talking about Biafra. The question then is, must you be united about about the Presidency of the country you belong to before you agitate for your independence?

Should Scotland have been united about producing the Prime minister of the United kingdom before seeking and getting their 2014 independence referendum?

Should Eriterians have been united about seeking the Presidency of Ethiopia before they agitated about having their independence from Ethiopia?

If Adichie is saying that Igbos are not united enough amongsts themselves to talk or go for Biafra, then there is no point to Nigeria because Nigerians are not united about anything, but still have Nigeria

You're going nowhere till we're done using your gas tongue

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Yujin(m): 8:55am On Jan 05, 2021
marsman:

But one must go for one
None is going for any. Those of us who don't believe in this Nigeria will continue to seek for Biafra where we think we will far much better. Those Igbos who believe in Nigeria should carry on with chasing the presidency of a failed contraption. We will however continue to extend our hand to them because we know that the presidency they're chasing will not address the failure of Nigeria. Nigeria cannot be fixed as it is. There will never be a concensus for any uniform development to happen in Nigeria. It is not possible.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 05, 2021
Yujin:

None is going for any. Those of us who don't believe in this Nigeria will continue to seek for Biafra where we think we will far much better. Those Igbos who believe in Nigeria should carry on with chasing the presidency of a failed contraption. We will however continue to extend our hand to them because we know that the presidency they're chasing will not address the failure of Nigeria. Nigeria cannot be fixed as it is. There will never be a concensus for any uniform development to happen in Nigeria. It is not possible.

And you don't see the futility in a people being so divided along the most fundamental of lines?

I am sure the Igbos angling for the Presidency will equally see you Biafra disciples as deluded folks who need to see the 'bigger picture'.

The way you judge them is how they judge you. Bottom line is that this most fundamental of schism must not exist , to this huge extent, amongst a people who are searching for a definitive socio-economic and ethnic direction . This is what Chinamanda is saying even if you want to play Ostrich.

You guys will make excuses for blatant shortcomings you should be trying to address because you simply dont want to admit you are wrong and that you can learn from others.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Yujin(m): 9:40am On Jan 05, 2021
OneTemplate:

And you don't see the futility in a people being so divided along the most fundamental of lines? You guys will make excuses for blatant shortcomings you should be trying to address because you simply dont want to admit you are wrong and that you can learn from.others.
In as much as it may sound so to you, we don't want to start preparing for Biafra late. When those blind elites open their eyes and see, then we can then team together and get what we want. Nigeria as you see her is dead already. It is foolishness continuing with a dead venture. Currently the government is selling you all to the Chinese. Oil revenue can't fund recurrent expenditure and there's no way the politics in Nigeria can allow a healthy competition which can bring about growth. This is why some people want to Lord over others so can they can be feeding on your sweat. Fulanis are building refinery in a boundary town called Daura and laying pipeline all the way from southern Nigeria. They are preparing their places and are still plundering your place in the south through the various kidnappings and destruction of farmlands. You hear of all these things but can't make out anything from it whereas we can clearly see the trajectory. At least our stance helps us to defend our homeland while our confused politicians can continue to waste away their time. When it finally dawns on them, they will join hands with us. As for other tribes who are also trapped inside Nigeria, all they can do is continue to suffer in poverty and being prey to the fulanis until all their lands are taken from them. I have a detailed map of original fulani enclaves pre- year 2000. Today the map has slightly changed. They have taken lands from the smaller tribes. Worst affected areas are Yobe, Bauchi and Nasarawa. Others are Plateau, Kaduna and Kwara.
I pity those who think they still have a country.

9 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by austinkenneth: 9:48am On Jan 05, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Thanks for this insight.

However, I think you've just watered down her complaints and placed yours as "a better complaint". Bro, there is no such as "a better complaint" cause you don't get to tell people what they should complain about; you aren't in their shoe. You used the vague expressions "main table" and "not main table" to downplay the whole thing but if you throw more light, you'd realize it's not really far from what she said. The only difference is that she gave the details of what makes the umunna table the "main table" while you didn't. And like they say, the devil is in those details. In other words, what you referred to as the main-table/not-main-table concept was exactly what she elaborated about and that's her complaint. She said the fact that the men's table was were all visitors go to on arrival and drop their items which technically then belong to the men (a concept you conveniently summarized as "main table" ) is problematic.

As for the sitting issue, you're probably right she missed the sitting arrangement but it wouldn't be fair to just conclude based of our general understanding of the Igbo culture. I don't know the culture like you cause I've not really lived in Nigeria but I go home often enough and I've been to two burial ceremonies before, and the sitting arrangements were not exactly the same. At the first one, I saw the widow's section, the men's section and the section for the daughters. Each of these sections had tables in front of it. The dead man's brothers and his sons sat at their own table while other males sat behind. The widow sat at her own table surrounded by co-wives. One would think the man's daughters would also sit at their own table but instead, the eldest daughters in the extended family took that position. At the second ceremony, each of the daughters came with her own husband and they got a section each.

I don't know what the arrangement was at her father's burial ceremony but it would be unfair to just waive her complaints aside on the grounds of what we believe ab ideal sitting arrangement to be. She's not exactly stupid so if she asked why there wasn't any seat for them, it's probably cause she didn't see that arrangement and the response she got goes to show your assumption might be miles away from reality. Otherwise, the man would have just pointed her to the location where she was supposed to sit.

My summary is, except we were there, we're in no position to counter her narration of her own personal experience. Happy new year!

I clearly see your point.

I have learnt from experience that if you're on the discriminated side, you need to speak up and get justice but that the road to justice is faster when you go attack the discrimination as it is not in an embellished form.

It means taking more time to check and observe to you can come up with an insurmountable argument.

For example, we know how property is allocated to a man's male heirs by default, but it was through a pain staking search that some folks in my village found a way to give a particular man's daughters equal property rights with his sons.
The argument was so powerful that the men couldn't even debate the arbitration.

Based on how very highly I place her, and what I perceive to be her level of knowledge of the Igbo culture and its merits and demerits, I expected a close to impeccable argument from her as regards this topic instead of talking about things like a dangling organ.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 05, 2021
Yujin:

In as much as it may sound so to you, we don't want to start preparing for Biafra late. When those blind elites open their eyes and see, then we can then team together and get what we want. Nigeria as you see her is dead already. It is foolishness continuing with a dead venture. Currently the government is selling you all to the Chinese. Oil revenue can't fund recurrent expenditure and there's no way the politics in Nigeria can allow a healthy competition which can bring about growth. This is why some people want to Lord over others so can they can be feeding on your sweat. Fulanis are building refinery in a boundary town called Daura and laying pipeline all the way from southern Nigeria. They are preparing their places and are still plundering your place in the south through the various kidnappings and destruction of farmlands. You hear of all these things but can't make out anything from it whereas we can clearly see the trajectory. At least our stance helps us to defend our homeland while our confused politicians can continue to waste away their time. When it finally dawns on them, they will join hands with us. As for other tribes who are also trapped inside Nigeria, all they can do is continue to suffer in poverty and being prey to the fulanis until all their lands are taken from them. I have a detailed map of original fulani enclaves pre- year 2000. Today the map has slightly changed. They have taken lands from the smaller tribes. Worst affected areas are Yobe, Bauchi and Nasarawa. Others are Plateau, Kaduna and Kwara.
I pity those who think they still have a country.

Lol. You Igbos and your egotistical outlook. You think you guys are the only ones who note that Nigeria needs fundamental reforms?

Of course not. The difference is that others know to try and work pragmatically through legally enforceable and constitutional-endorsed avenues of change.

Best example is control of ultimate executive power through the office of the Presidency many believe the South should work for and can use to shape Nigeria in a more equitable image whereas you Igbos are always anarchic, ehtnocentric, hateful, bigoted and extremist in approach.

You guys have not changed from the same lawless people who illegally and impatiently declared Biafra , against the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria, to gain what you wanted, regardless of it's illegality in law, only to then cry 'genocide' when you became the main victim of a war you could never win yet went ahead to prosecute mindlessly and egotistically anyway.

Today, it is history repeating itself. Political solutions are required yet you Igbos, with the antics of Kanu and your incendiary approach, want to force an ethnic/internecine strife alone as your preferred solution. let's see how things play out.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Thinkherbell(f): 10:36am On Jan 05, 2021
She's is right. Igbos are not united. They're selfish and greedy.

Before you come here to spill trash, I'm igbo too.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by PicLtd: 11:06am On Jan 05, 2021
Are Nigerians united for Nigeria?

Questions for ewedu muslim monkeys who are throwing owambe parties in celebration and now believe that Chimamanda is now greater than Awolowo and Oduduwa for making these statements. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by michlins(m): 11:17am On Jan 05, 2021
NwaNimo1:
Hmmm.....

this short man devil

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by darlenese(f): 11:18am On Jan 05, 2021
truth has never been this bitter .
she is right jor
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Ever8090: 11:18am On Jan 05, 2021
Paperworka:
she is right because envy is too much in Igbo land, everyone is competing on who will make it bigger, some team up with their enemies not minding the consequences, some go as far as converting to Islam in order to get favor from Fulani, sabotage everywhere. An example are the Eastern governors who has gone as far as serving the caliphates in order to gain political presence, imaging going as far as sokoto to bow to the caliphate before you can be recognized as a governor in your own state ohh!

The Good news is that God has sent a savior called MNK even though almost all political elites in southeast are fighting him so as to impress the Caliphate because they are gunning for an Igbo presidency.

God will arrest all our Enemies, Isee
is it the same Nnamdi Kanu that has ran away or their is another one we are yet to know

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by drey076(m): 11:19am On Jan 05, 2021
very on point
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by michoim(m): 11:19am On Jan 05, 2021
They will become the real zoo ...

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by afroxyz: 11:19am On Jan 05, 2021
For once she says something that makes sense

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by lkillbrokehoes: 11:20am On Jan 05, 2021
She said the obvious truth

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by samwheel(m): 11:20am On Jan 05, 2021
Dreambeat:
And who told her that most Igbos would choose presidency over Biafra? It is only the politicians that want presidency, the average Igbo man wants Biafra
Only poor igbos are clamouring for biafra.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Karleb(m): 11:20am On Jan 05, 2021
At least, you have sense.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Sunisonflex39(m): 11:21am On Jan 05, 2021
Correct.. I am schooling in the east I can tell the envy among anambra Igbo and ebony igbuo.. ETC some feels they are more Igbo than the other..

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by EjaikreTheViper(f): 11:21am On Jan 05, 2021
OneTemplate:
Lol Adichie trying to be diplomatic and let Igbos and their fragile egos down lightly. She should just come out and say she regrets being Igbo and an Igbo woman specifically because we know how scathing and mercilessly critical she would be, placard and all, if a Yoruba woman , in Yorubaland, went through what her and her mother went through at her father's funeral.

This is another Igbo who will certainly never ever live in SE Nigeria but does not want to risk upsetting Igbo coming out to say their ways is repressive, unfair, shameful and disgustly misogynistic.

IPOBian, one of your most distinguished female has spoken. Hope you can all see you have work to do and are far behind the civilised , sophisticated and effortlessly suave Yorubas you're always trying to square up to.

Go and fix your broken homes, States and region instead of obsessing over others. I am sure that is the message Adichie would love to pass but can never knowing you intolerant babies would likely banish her family from ala Igbo. Lol.

IT IS VERY EASY TO SPOT THE RANTING OF A FOOL ON PUBLIC FORUMS!

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by JoeEeL(m): 11:22am On Jan 05, 2021
I urge this woman to shut up if she has nothing reasonable to say.

Women, when fame begins to get into their head, they begin to yan dust.

We are talking about the end of Neo-Colonialism as we know it in not just Nigeria, but Africa.

We are talking of a big big war of COMPLETE emancipation and freedom for the black race, this myopic overhyped woman is talking about Presidency and marginalisation.

Are you damn 'One-Nigeria' apologists not fed up with the incessant blabber of zonal rotation presidency? Today its South West, tomorrow is South East. Are u people so demented to realise that this country is completely fragmented cos it was never one?

I keep saying it : the greatest enclave of idiots are those who go to a Nigerian school and then begin carrying on their head.

YORUBA nation is going; I don't care about the rest. If una like, never get sense!

We have had our history, our culture, our language and even our flag before the Brits came here to do their nonsense.

ALL WE ASK IS TO REVERT TO WHAT WE ONCE WERE.

Many Yorubas today don't even realise how great we once were as a civilisation.

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorubaland]
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by tunjiajayi: 11:23am On Jan 05, 2021
grin grin grin
She be afonja

Watch mofos call her out grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by tnerro1(m): 11:25am On Jan 05, 2021
Abeg, sister help me tell them. When they gave them senate president, see how they messed it up. An Hausa or Yoruba man can back his brother 100% so they can both benefit. An Igbo man would never agree that they should share the yam unless he alone is the one sharing it

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 11:25am On Jan 05, 2021
NwaNimo1:
Hmmm.....

Prince Arthur go be like....

I talk am....tell dem
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:26am On Jan 05, 2021
Igbo people are the dumbest blockheads in Nigerias politics.

Their mumu too much...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Manab: 11:26am On Jan 05, 2021
Paperworka:
she is right because envy is too much in Igbo land, everyone is competing on who will make it bigger, some team up with their enemies not minding the consequences, some go as far as converting to Islam in order to get favor from Fulani, sabotage everywhere. An example are the Eastern governors who has gone as far as serving the caliphates in order to gain political presence, imaging going as far as sokoto to bow to the caliphate before you can be recognized as a governor in your own state ohh!

The Good news is that God has sent a savior called MNK even though almost all political elites in southeast are fighting him so as to impress the Caliphate because they are gunning for an Igbo presidency.

God will arrest all our Enemies, Isee
I don't understand wat u mean by caliphate?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Beverlyjean(f): 11:26am On Jan 05, 2021
This woman should please shut up already

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Nigerian Authors Whose Books You Must Read This Year / My Marriage (short Story ) / Okwui Enwezor Dies Of Cancer At 55

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.