Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,713 members, 7,827,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra (28111 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:26am On Jan 05, 2021
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 05, 2021
Paperworka:
she is right because envy is too much in Igbo land, everyone is competing on who will make it bigger, some team up with their enemies not minding the consequences, some go as far as converting to Islam in order to get favor from Fulani, sabotage everywhere. An example are the Eastern governors who has gone as far as serving the caliphates in order to gain political presence, imaging going as far as sokoto to bow to the caliphate before you can be recognized as a governor in your own state ohh!

The Good news is that God has sent a savior called MNK even though almost all political elites in southeast are fighting him so as to impress the Caliphate because they are gunning for an Igbo presidency.

God will arrest all our Enemies, Isee

Shut up, Efulefu
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 05, 2021
Okoroawusa:
She raised some valid points sha... especially on the way we treat umuada.

Anu mpama which way do u pple treat umuada?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by ChiefJusticeFuc: 11:28am On Jan 05, 2021
This thing is an ultra neoliberal bordering on full blown Communist.

She is anti Nationalist and believes in multiculturaliam.

They don't get more woke than this Judas goat.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by manunitedbabes: 11:28am On Jan 05, 2021
shocked shocked shocked

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Sleekfingers: 11:28am On Jan 05, 2021
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by AuwalYusuf812(m): 11:29am On Jan 05, 2021
grin

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nightalan: 11:29am On Jan 05, 2021
grin Madam, we don't care about the ills in the Igbo society, misogyny or not, they should treat their women however they want, but please they should unite and get this Biafra and go back home. A lot of their hosts are tired particularly in the South West, and it's only a matter of time, these drug pushing, toxic and ungrateful lots should migrate back to their unproductive landlocked zones.

9 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:30am On Jan 05, 2021
OneTemplate:

Did you go to school? If yes did you sleep through all lessons? If not, what is confusing in Adichie's opinion which is that Igbos are confused and not united over what they want and thus likely to fail? What she writes below is clear enough for even a child of 6 to understand.

You guys are just too egotistical, belligerent and vainglorious to ever accept correction over your redundant ways and mindset.

This kind of response is unnecessary.
The honest truth is what she recommends is for the good of the region in terms of it's quest for a biafra state. Just imagine a disoriented country if they gain independence this way.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Manab: 11:31am On Jan 05, 2021
PicLtd:
Are Nigerians united for Nigeria?

Questions for ewedu muslim monkeys who I am sure now believe that Chimamanda is now greater than Awolowo and Oduduwa for making for making this statements. grin
u guyz are very funny

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by KingLion007(m): 11:31am On Jan 05, 2021
Paperworka:
she is right because envy is too much in Igbo land, everyone is competing on who will make it bigger, some team up with their enemies not minding the consequences, some go as far as converting to Islam in order to get favor from Fulani, sabotage everywhere. An example are the Eastern governors who has gone as far as serving the caliphates in order to gain political presence, imaging going as far as sokoto to bow to the caliphate before you can be recognized as a governor in your own state ohh!

The Good news is that God has sent a savior called MNK even though almost all political elites in southeast are fighting him so as to impress the Caliphate because they are gunning for an Igbo presidency.

Valid Point dude
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Gabbriell: 11:31am On Jan 05, 2021
gidgiddy:
Igbo presidency and Biafra are two seperate things, they have no connection whatsoever

grin grin grin grin grin

Are you joking ?

grin grin grin grin grin

This must be a sarcasm grin grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Giantfarmer(m): 11:32am On Jan 05, 2021
gidgiddy:
Igbo presidency and Biafra are two seperate things, they have no connection whatsoever
they have my brother.. politics is the common denominator.......see how Southwest United and formed amotekun, southeast can unit and form Biafra but, they is too much divides.....unity should be the first the Igbo man should fight to get other things Biafra, Igbo president etc will naturally fall into place ....
I have lived in the southeast and I agree with her totally

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Omoslim26: 11:32am On Jan 05, 2021
OneTemplate:
Lol Adichie trying to be diplomatic and let Igbos and their fragile egos down lightly. She should just come out and say she regrets being Igbo and an Igbo woman specifically because we know how scathing and mercilessly critical she would be, placard and all, if a Yoruba woman , in Yorubaland, went through what her and her mother went through at her father's funeral.

This is another Igbo who will certainly never ever live in SE Nigeria but does not want to risk upsetting Igbo coming out to say their ways is repressive, unfair, shameful and disgustly misogynistic.

IPOBian, one of your most distinguished female has spoken. Hope you can all see you have work to do and are far behind the civilised , sophisticated and effortlessly suave Yorubas you're always trying to square up to.

Go and fix your broken homes, States and region instead of obsessing over others. I am sure that is the message Adichie would love to pass but can never knowing you intolerant babies would likely banish her family from ala Igbo. Lol.

Most of you will just talk and talk and talk and in the end make zero sense

she doesn't like igbo and yet she adopted chimanda

her opinion is heard loud and clear even if everyt sane mind knows all she outlined happens in every tribe in the Country

shun bigotry it's killing every ounce of intelligence your brain should be producing

dis is the main reason I don't engage in cheap bigotry it makes one sounds off and nefarious

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:32am On Jan 05, 2021
Adichie did not say anything new, but some Igbos here are already misyarning, as usual.

I have been saying this on Nairaland for ages.

Those clamoring for Biafra don't even have a blueprint for achieving it.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by SachaBastien(m): 11:33am On Jan 05, 2021
Realisation of nationhood is not an all comers affair. Ms Adichie obviously lacks profound knowledge as to how nations are birthed. There are always numerous disunited groups in every quest for a separate homeland in the history of mankind. Disunity among these groups has never been an impediment to achieving the objective.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 05, 2021
Where is the lie?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Warmaterial(m): 11:35am On Jan 05, 2021
Charmingrascal:
No tribe or region in Nigeria is completely in unison, as long as there are different intellectuals and individuals there will always be diverse of thoughts.

"Igbo can't do this, Igbos can't do that" is just another way of causing unnecessary digression
Everybody must not support a cause, sometimes it is not the quantity of those who are for a cause that matters it is the quality, the weight, the strength, the zeal and passion.

I am Yoruba but I can tell you that Biafra can be achieved if the zeal and passion to achieve it is strong.
Even though on several occasions I have disagreed and openly condemned Kanu's way of agitating I think Kanu has the interest of Igbos at heart more than some of these so called Igbo elites, intellectuals and politicians.
In what way has Chimanda supported the Biafra or Igbo Presidency agenda?

Ka ye pa iro fun ara wa.
Ko si nkan nkan to wu ni lori lati je omo orile ede yi.

How many Yorubas supported Obasanjo's Presidency?
He still won because sometimes it is not about the quantity but the quality.

Nigeria is too big to have a central government, we need to restructure or break up.

The discourse now should not be whether Igbos are United or not, it should rather be how can she contribute her own quota in helping the Igbos achieve what they want.
ur head dey there man...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Ipobkiller001: 11:35am On Jan 05, 2021
Paperworka:

I thought you had sense before.. You started well and later displayed your foolishness... Big fool

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by AuwalYusuf812(m): 11:35am On Jan 05, 2021
Nightalan:
grin Madam, we don't care about the ills in the Igbo culture, misogyny or not, they should treat their women however they want, but please they should unite and get this Biafra and go back home. A lot of their hosts are tired and it's only a matter of time, these drug pushing, toxic and ungrateful lots should migrate back to their unproductive landlocked zones.
E pain am
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by onyeomacynkembu: 11:35am On Jan 05, 2021

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Giantfarmer(m): 11:35am On Jan 05, 2021
SachaBastien:
Realisation of nationhood is not an all comers affair. Ms Adichie obviously lacks profound knowledge as to how nations are birthed. There are always numerous disunited groups in every quest for a separate homeland in the history of mankind. Disunity among these groups has never been an impediment to achieving the objective.
I don't agree with you,even if disunity abound,they should be unity in achieving a common goal which the igbos lack
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by OROSUNBOLB(m): 11:36am On Jan 05, 2021
Dreambeat:
And who told her that most Igbos would choose presidency over Biafra? It is only the politicians that want presidency, the average Igbo man wants Biafra

And you honestly believe you can achieve Biafra without your politicians ? You are one of the reasons why people like me are of the opinion that Igbo people are not smart. With a mentality like yours,Biafra will forever remain a mirage !

Yoruba will tell you that " Towo eni o ba i ba eku'da, a i bere iku to pa baba eni". If you understand the silent message therein ( in the adage),you'll definitely understand what that smart lady is saying.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nightalan: 11:37am On Jan 05, 2021
AuwalYusuf812:
E pain am
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Princedapace(m): 11:37am On Jan 05, 2021
vanunu:
The first female civilian governor is from Anambra.
Even Buhari contested against Umaru Yaradua a fellow Fulani man. It is not every northerner that supports one Nigeria, some are for a total Islamic state. so I don't know what this woman is talking about.

Exactly what pains me. They always know how to drag igbos. Even in south west, not all of them supported OBJ. In the north, some have their own agenda. No region is completely united in politics. Most is simply due to their personal interests.

I wonder how she feels that we treat women.. How will North now talk of their own? I mean, Islam simply believe in the superiority of the male gender! They arent complaining. It is always the over sabi igbo women who keep dragging us up and down. Yet, the igbo ladies have occupied great positions around the world. If the culture is that bad, the ladies wont shine.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Farki: 11:38am On Jan 05, 2021
The bitter truth.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by BreconHills(m): 11:38am On Jan 05, 2021
gidgiddy:

Stop talking nonsense. She said that Igbos are not united enough about the Presidency of Nigeria to be talking about Biafra. The question then is, must you be united about about the Presidency of the country you belong to before you agitate for your independence?

Should Scotland have been united about producing the Prime minister of the United kingdom before seeking and getting their 2014 independence referendum?

Should Eriterians have been united about seeking the Presidency of Ethiopia before they agitated about having their independence from Ethiopia?

If Adichie is saying that Igbos are not united enough amongsts themselves to talk or go for Biafra, then there is no point to Nigeria because Nigerians are not united about anything, but still have Nigeria

You don't have to be united to run a country ( See the USA and UK) but you do need to be united to get statehood. She is not comparing igbo to any tribe, simply analysing the state of igbo nation - which you can agree or disagree with. She also stated quite clearly that she cannot see how it work - she spoke about the borders.

What she did not speak about is that there is a class cleavage amongst ndigbo when it comes to Biafra. The wealthy are not ready to have their property held under say the Alien land acquisition Act section 2(1) of that Act makes it illegal for a foreigner to aquire property except by express permission. Again why should ndigbo businesses need to apply for expatriate quota to hire igbo men and women? It all does not make economic sense for the wealthy.

For the poor or less wealth of ndigbo, there is nothing to lose and everything to gain from a restratification of igbo society.

Anyone who does not see these challenges probably belongs to the less wealthy segment of ndigbo. Biafra has serious challenges in implementation and may require a Jewish like "Aliyah" or wholesale sell out of assets by ndigbo and their subsequent return to historic igbo borders as a necessary pre condition.

Can you see that..even remotely?

6 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by natanyin: 11:39am On Jan 05, 2021
Dreambeat:
And who told her that most Igbos would choose presidency over Biafra? It is only the politicians that want presidency, the average Igbo man wants Biafra
who is an average Igbo man sir

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Nobody: 11:39am On Jan 05, 2021
Dreambeat:

You are not most Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by colestephan86: 11:41am On Jan 05, 2021
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Fulmigati: 11:45am On Jan 05, 2021
Look at how this Low IQ OP twist her words. Shameless mods also quick to move it to FP.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Igbo People Can’t Unite For Presidency Yet Talk About Biafra by Smashspesh(m): 11:46am On Jan 05, 2021
OneTemplate:
Lol Adichie trying to be diplomatic and let Igbos and their fragile egos down lightly. She should just come out and say she regrets being Igbo and an Igbo woman specifically because we know how scathing and mercilessly critical she would be, placard and all, if a Yoruba woman , in Yorubaland, went through what her and her mother went through at her father's funeral.

This is another Igbo who will certainly never ever live in SE Nigeria but does not want to risk upsetting Igbo coming out to say their ways is repressive, unfair, shameful and disgustly misogynistic.

IPOBian, one of your most distinguished female has spoken. Hope you can all see you have work to do and are far behind the civilised , sophisticated and effortlessly suave Yorubas you're always trying to square up to.

Go and fix your broken homes, States and region instead of obsessing over others. I am sure that is the message Adichie would love to pass but can never knowing you intolerant babies would likely banish her family from ala Igbo. Lol.

After all this your grammar, you go still go sell pepper at road side in Mile 12, while same Igbo people own your main markets.

Cry more

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Nigerian Authors Whose Books You Must Read This Year / My Marriage (short Story ) / Okwui Enwezor Dies Of Cancer At 55

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.