Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,110 members, 7,825,504 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? (3832 Views)

I Lied To My Igbo Guy That I Am Pregnant..will He Forgive Me?? / Ever Lied To Your Romantic Partner? / Ever Lied To Your Partner And Get Caught?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by aminalib(f): 1:40am On Apr 02, 2011
Have you ever lied about your background to get a man/woman? My friend met this nigerian guy at a club, and he lied and said he was bajan, they went out and something happen where he was talking to this brother on the phone and he started talking in pidgin, so she was like "ong you are nigerian.and u lied and said your bajan" so he was like " yea my parents are nigerian", that is so sad when you have to lie about your background.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 2:21am On Apr 02, 2011
With the bad rep that a Nigerians have around the world, I will fully understand such guy AS LONG AS HE CAME CLEAN TO THE DAMSEL WITHIN A SET PERIOD and explain why he did it.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Pweety4me(f): 2:23am On Apr 02, 2011
NO, but i ave fibbed about what i understood all in my favour ofcourse(the guy was a jerk) angry smiley
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by ektbear: 2:24am On Apr 02, 2011
Hell no. Wtf would I do that?

Man which country are ya'll in that nigerians have such a bad reputation?  undecided
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 2:30am On Apr 02, 2011
@ekt bear
All around the world unfortunately.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by ektbear: 2:36am On Apr 02, 2011
Man if anything I'm the one who brings it first.

Me: My name is ekt_bear.
. . .
Her: Where are you from? (she's thinking I'll say Baltimore, Houston or something)
Me: I'm from Nigeria.

Never has caused me any problems. . . never gotten the cold shoulder from a chick as a result of that, personally.

It actually is usually a great conversation starter for me.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by ektbear: 2:42am On Apr 02, 2011
Plus the way I figure is, if you have to lie about your background to someone, they ain't worth it. Not to mention that lies always come back to bite you in the a$$. . .

If somebody doesn't like that you are african, they can go to hell.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Pweety4me(f): 2:48am On Apr 02, 2011
^Abi, tell em bruh!
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 2:53am On Apr 02, 2011
Roppongi in Tokyo is the 9ja neighborhood and most asian women avoids them like the plague. Don't ask me why?
Beijing China. Most street drug dealers in Sanlitun (the club district) are nigerians and most Chinese tend to stay well away from them unless on the lookout to score something.
Don't even get me started with the 419ers that seems to show that its the only thing Nigerians do. . . . . Then the action of the very few will have a heavy impact on the whole Nigerians out there.

1 Like

Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 2:56am On Apr 02, 2011
everywhere we go oh, we are kno-o-own tigers

undecided undecided lipsrsealed
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 3:01am On Apr 02, 2011
This reminds me of a black guy I once met in Buenos Aires. He had a strong "Nigerian/south African" accent but told me he was South African so I believed him. After a few drinks, the South African accent disappeared completely and when I told him that my parents were Nigerians he confessed saying that claiming South African is "better viewed".
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by ektbear: 3:05am On Apr 02, 2011
I can only speak from the north american perspective. But here, it isn't a problem.

I dunno. I guess it depends on what Nigerians have a reputation for doing in the country you are in? If into honest activities, then won't be an issue. But if they are all drug dealers and such, then. . .
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 3:12am On Apr 02, 2011
@ekt bear
Not really. You see, if every news about "drug dealer caught" is about Nigerians then, even the hard working ones will be frown upon because Chinese will automatically assume that this is what most (if not all)Nigerians do.
Nobody gives a damn or hear about the Nigerians who is flipping burger at Mc Donalds.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by BABE3: 3:23am On Apr 02, 2011
@OP. Hell to the No! Why would I lie? Nigeria is the best country! F mutallab! F yahoo yahoo boys! I'm never gonna disown my country!
Pledge of Allegiance baby! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Imari(f): 3:46am On Apr 02, 2011
Just from the media here in the U.S. hearing someone is "Nigerian", scammer immediately comes to mind. I never knew of such until a few years back NBC Dateline did a program about the scammers and their main feature was on Nigerians focusing on Houston and San Antonio Texas.

Then there was recently the case of the daycare where children lost their lives, upon finding that the owner was Nigerian the comments section in the articles online was geared toward disparaging Nigerians as scam artists and little else.

Also, I have plenty of pics of my Nigerian Sweetie and when those outside of my family ask about him and I say he's Nigerian some have said "scammer".
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by ragdollz: 3:56am On Apr 02, 2011
Naaah, would never dream of lying/denying!!! Lol, and when folks actually DOUBT me when I say I'm Nigerian ie bc of the way I look/sound, I proudly confirm that yes ooh, I be naija, forget the phone or the oyibo dressings cheesy. We gat swag, those who want to be trash can go 'head. Do your thing and let your honour speak for itself!
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by obowunmi(m): 3:59am On Apr 02, 2011
Ragdollz baby, how are you ?
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by ragdollz: 4:13am On Apr 02, 2011
obowunmi:

Ragdollz baby, how are you ?

I dey kampe, LOL grin. Gosh do you know I used to think you were a girl (the name) till I figured out what it meant angry grin grin
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by obowunmi(m): 4:15am On Apr 02, 2011
Cute! Haha ---
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 4:18am On Apr 02, 2011
I obviously am not African but I hang around a lot and have dated a few.
A lot of them claim to be Jamo to 'get ignorant American chicks' who sadly but true
for the most part think, once you are black with an accent you are Jamaican.

I find it comical and sad at the same time. One time I went to this BP gas station
and this guy who i knew was African saw my flag and when I went in to pay for my
gas he asked where I was from, I explained and he was like 'I am Jamaican mon'.
I laugh but he kept a serious face  grin  grin I leave and that was that.

About 5 days later (lol gas aint cheap o!!!) I go back and I hear him talking to this African lady
in a language that I couldn't understand but it sounded familiar. I guess he must have forgotten
I was the same chick initially cause when I asked what language it was he said 'Swahili'
I nearly laughed him to shame, instead I reminded him who I was and he laughed.  grin
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by pleep(m): 4:23am On Apr 02, 2011
people always assume I'm 'jamaican or somethin' whenever I tell them I'm not, they just forget a few days Later and call me 'jamaican dude again' undecided
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 4:25am On Apr 02, 2011
I understand the guy. But instead of lying, he should have politicianed the question away until a time when she's already comfortable with him.  cheesy

I have seen first-hand the shear terror in a girl's face when I told her I was Nigerian  tongue
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by ektbear: 4:30am On Apr 02, 2011
may i never live in a place where i'm afraid of saying my country of birth  lipsrsealed

I guess it'd be helpful if all these naija guys would cut down on the crime a bit tho
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Araboy(m): 4:32am On Apr 02, 2011
I remember  once I   met this beautiful girl in one of Dubai Mall and she was having some communication problems with one of the store vendor who doesn't speak English I offered to help   And asked her were she from she said Mali I started speaking French to her but at my surprise she couldn't understand a word later she confessed she was Nigerian from Kaduna state
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 5:33am On Apr 02, 2011
Imari:

Just from the media here in the U.S. hearing someone is "Nigerian",  scammer immediately comes to mind.  I never knew of such until a few years back NBC Dateline did a program about the scammers and their main feature was on Nigerians focusing on Houston and San Antonio Texas.

Then there was recently the case of the daycare where children lost their lives, upon finding that the owner was Nigerian the comments section in the articles online was geared toward disparaging Nigerians as scam artists and little else.

Also, I have plenty of pics of my Nigerian Sweetie and when those outside of my family ask about him and I say he's Nigerian some have said "scammer".

Sad, but true. But I think any informed person would know that just because they've heard stories about Nigerians and scamming, doesn't mean every other Nigerian out there does it too. I wouldn't want to be involved with anyone who's prejudiced and narrow-minded like that anyway, so if I meet someone and upon hearing I'm Nigerian he decides to walk, he can do just that. No wahala.  =p
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 5:36am On Apr 02, 2011
pleep:

people always assume I'm 'jamaican or somethin' whenever I tell them I'm not, they just forget a few days Later and call me 'jamaican dude again' undecided

lol. yeah just ignorant folks. undecided
they dont know better that's all.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Imari(f): 5:46am On Apr 02, 2011
Yield:

Sad, but true. But I think any informed person would know that just because they've heard stories about Nigerians and scamming, doesn't mean every other Nigerian out there does it too. I wouldn't want to be involved with anyone who's prejudiced and narrow-minded like that anyway, so if I meet someone and upon hearing I'm Nigerian he decides to walk, he can do just that. No wahala.  =p

That's just it, there are far too many that are not and will not "inform" themselves and would rather rely on the stereotypes that feeds their agenda that they harbor anyway.

Which may be the reasons why so many (of any culture/race/background) hedge/fudge/lie about it in the first place.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by MrsChima(f): 5:58am On Apr 02, 2011
You have folks lying about being African or Nigerian AND say that others trying to be African or Nigerian. Interesting huh.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Thirst4Lif: 9:13am On Apr 02, 2011
Man which country are ya'll in that nigerians have such a bad reputation?

You're kidding, right?
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Thirst4Lif: 9:21am On Apr 02, 2011
A lot of them claim to be Jamo to 'get ignorant American chicks' who sadly but true

This is not true! American women DO NOT think when a Black man has an accent he's

automatically Jamaican.
A Jamaican accent sounds totally different from that of an African!

SO PLEASE JUST SPEAK FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR IGNORANT FRIENDS!

1 Like

Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by InkedNerd(f): 9:32am On Apr 02, 2011
@OP: I've heard of jackasses like the one you mentioned. A family member told me about a girl she grew up with in Nigeria. That girl is now in the UK--when she meets people and they ask her where she's from, the dumb ȧss says she's Brazilian meanwhile, people who know her know that the yeye girl is lying. Honestly, are people so ashamed of their nationality that they would lie like that?!?! When people ask me where I'm from, I say it with pride. There's nothing to hide or lie about. The greatest thing that has happened in my life in me being a Nigerian African!! Goodness, when will people learn to love themselves?!?! I know that there are stereotypes but seriously, must you go so far as lying about where you're from?

MzDarkSkin:

I obviously am not African but I hang around a lot and have dated a few.

I find it comical and sad at the same time. One time I went to this BP gas station
and this guy who i knew was African saw my flag and when I went in to pay for my
gas he asked where I was from, I explained and he was like 'I am Jamaican mon'.
I laugh but he kept a serious face grin grin I leave and that was that.

About 5 days later (lol gas aint cheap o!!!) I go back and I hear him talking to this African lady
in a language that I couldn't understand but it sounded familiar. I guess he must have forgotten
I was the same chick initially cause when I asked what language it was he said 'Swahili'
I nearly laughed him to shame, instead I reminded him who I was and he laughed. grin

lol how pathetic grin

Araboy:

I remember  once I   met this beautiful girl in one of Dubai Mall and she was having some communication problems with one of the store vendor who doesn't speak English I offered to help   And asked her were she from she said Mali I started speaking French to her but at my surprise she couldn't understand a word later she confessed she was Nigerian from Kaduna state

lol grin

Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Apr 02, 2011
Thirst4Lif:

This is not true! American women DO NOT think when a Black man has an accent he's

automatically Jamaican.
  A Jamaican accent sounds totally different from that of an African!

SO PLEASE JUST SPEAK FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR IGNORANT FRIENDS!

Lmao. ok. If you say so. But do know I am NOT asking you. I am TELLING you. I will provide proof to calm you down if necessary. Not a lot of Americans have had the ability or interest to travel abroad or are interested in learning to differentiate the different groups. Some think Africa is a country and that Jamaica is in Africa. I am half American and been here all my life I don't think I need to lie on my own people.I NEVER said all of them anyway I said 'for the most part' and just like Pleep said, a lot of ppl even after having been explained the difference to, will STILL see someone again and make the same mistake of calling them Jamo. It's not Just Africans who go through this but also other islanders who actually have so many groups preaching 'The Caribbean is bigger than just Jamaica' and this my friend is for a reason. Some Africans are too proud to be called Jamaican so they represent their countries to the FULLEST and others go to Jamaican parties actually TRYING to speak patois and dress like the Jamos with NO intention of explaining where they are really from (If you live on the Est Coast of the US especially in the Virginia, Carolinas, ATL and Miami you see this VERY often!) So speak of your OWN experience and fly off.

@Inked pathetic indeed!  grin  grin

@Chima good point.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Would You Do?? / What Is Wrong With This Picture / **** She Is Hungry Yet She Wouldn't Stop Forming*****

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.