Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,752 members, 7,840,936 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? (3838 Views)

I Lied To My Igbo Guy That I Am Pregnant..will He Forgive Me?? / Ever Lied To Your Romantic Partner? / Ever Lied To Your Partner And Get Caught?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by Nayah(f): 5:08pm On Aug 16, 2011
Cheaters and liars are everywhere, Nigerians didn't invent it sister
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by werepeLeri: 8:59am On Aug 17, 2011
9jafetish:

but again yeah it is hard to be nigerian ,and i'd hate to be a full one. thank the lord i am only half.

so goodluck to rest of u guys.
btw x-factor is right.

lol

You must think we care?

So many of us are proud to have a full identity, unlike you "half" Nigerian. Thank God you are not counted as one of us and I hate the fact that you are even half of us, because, not Naija person talks s hit like this.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by keysthepro: 5:52pm On Nov 04, 2011
angry shocked embarassed cry

HOLD THE ONIONS AND THE LIES

I'm from Baltimore. I recently spent some time in Texas on business. While there I met the sweetest, cutest, most down to earth guy I had met in a very long time. Upon hearing a slight accent I asked him where he was from he said Jamaica. Now my grandfather and a host of other relatives are from Trinidad, I also had dates, co-workers, and classmates from Jamaica. My family and I listen to a lot of reggae, calypso, etc,  so I consider myself to be fairly familiar with the Caribbean accent and culture. But his accent was very Americanized so I couldn't identify it's origin immediately. When he said it was Jamaican I had no reason to contest it.

We ended up hitting it off tremendously. By the time I went back to Baltimore we were so enthralled in each other it only took him a week to fly me back to Texas to stay with him for awhile and explore the possibilities of living with him. I was with it,  I was sprung. I flew back and everything was great. He was going to work everyday, and I stayed at the house playing Suzie Homemaker. Cleaning, cooking, the whole 9 yizards.

It didn't take long for my vacation with my Caribbean lover to turn into a horror movie. In a world where people lie about there entire lives,  this is THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

So one day he's at work. I'm home on his computer doing my usual Twitter, Facebook regimen. When I'm done I close all his windows. His wallpaper comes up, which is a slew of pictures of naked, extremely large women. Now I'm 5'7 170. Very busty very hippy, not a "big woman" per say. But these women were huge. This is side bar but it's just the first on my list of findings. This guy is into really big women,  ok so what. Moving on.

This is where the Twilight Zone music really started. I remind you I was cleaning up around the house. So I'm finding a lot of mail listing his first, middle, and last name. None of them reading the name "Eric" the name he originally gave me. So at this point I'm mentally logged onto Creepy.net. Like who wants to be dating someone with aliases?

So ok,  "I'll ask him about that later," I think. So I'm continuing to clean and I find his passport. This'll clear things up right? Wrong! Not only is it the same name,  none of them "Eric" but in bold letters next to his pic it reads, NIGERIAN. Huuuuuuhh?

I had mixed emotions. The most prominent one was confusion. Why the hell are you lying about where you come from? We had told each other so much stuff why lie about this? Is he embarrassed? Is he going through some type of identity crisis

Then came anger. Which confused me. What am I mad about?? Does it change the way I feel about him because he's Nigerian? Not Jamaican?? Yes. I told myself it does. Why? I asked myself. Because he lied? No I respond. Because he's Nigerian.

I mentally gasps. I realize in that moment that I'm kind of prejudice and shallow. It was true. I liked him more and found him more attractive when I thought he was Jamaican. Don't know why just did.

I don't have any conscience negative emotions against Africans. I am, after all, African-American. I think it lies somewhere in my sub-conscience. Somewhere back there Jamaican guys are sexy,  Nigerian guys,  ugghhhh. I was ashamed of the way I felt. And for that reason I chose to stick it out. Not say anything about it. I thought girls like me with our prejudices are the reason he's uncomfortable with telling people where he's truly from. I did still like him as a person. I decided I would stay his girl and he would tell me when he felt comfortable.

But I grew more uncomfortable.

Not cuz he was Nigerian. I got over that quickly. But it was how bad he wanted to be Jamaican. Not just to me to everyone he knew. He wore a wristband flossing the colors of the Jamaican flag. A Jamaican flag waved valiantly on the wallpaper of his blackberry. He listened to reggae religiously. From time to time he did a bad rendition of Patois. On his Facebook page his first name was "Rastaman".

By the end of the following weeks I found myself wanting to scream "DUDE, YOU ARE NOT FUCKING JAMAICAN!!! GET OVER IT!"

I knew that I wouldn't be able to live in that lie with him. Even though I wanted to believe I could. Our demise however didn't come in the form of his Nigerian identity crisis. I came to find that he an overall compulsion to lie. He lied about his finances, he lied about girls he still dated, he lied about life itself,  to himself,  I could only imagine what he was capable of lying to me about.

So there you have it,  I'm not really sure what conclusion one could draw from this story.

I just know that after writing it,  I'm in the mood for some curry goat and coconut rice,  hold the onions, and the lies.  undecided
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by tpia5: 5:57pm On Nov 04, 2011
Totally damaged psyche.

Lord have mercy.

Smh.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by sima(f): 8:03pm On Nov 04, 2011
I will never forget where i come from regardless of what part of the country i live, I think it's just sad that most people deny where they are from cry
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by simplymary: 8:30pm On Nov 04, 2011
Well, I would not expect nationality to be the very first thing to discuss with an interest. But I know that if I were tell someone I was Nigerian and they decide to stereotype me based on the negative things they have heard about Nigerians, it's a red flag for me. This person is obviously quick to judge and is not giving me the opportunity to prove his perceived stereotype as wrong. The ideal interest will see me as a human first before they see me as a Nigerian.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by SAFO(m): 11:53pm On Nov 04, 2011
Actually it's quite the opposite for me, people don't believe me when i tell them until i show them my driver's license. Even other Nigerians don't believe me, it's pretty comical actually.
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by MrsChima1(f): 11:58pm On Nov 04, 2011
SAFO:

Actually it's quite the opposite for me, people don't believe me when i tell them until i show them my driver's license. Even other Nigerians don't believe me, it's pretty comical actually.

That's because you are Americanized and you prolly sound country too. tongue
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by SAFO(m): 12:10am On Nov 05, 2011
Hell no i don't sound country. LOL

Once I break out the pidgin English though, they be like "ahh brada long time now " LOL
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by claremont(m): 9:08am On Nov 05, 2011
On at least 2 occasions every month, I always get told by some white person that I have got a "European accent", and they can't seem to place where I am from. Yes, I have spent a few weeks in Germany and some parts of Europe, but I don't believe I acquired any accent while I was there visiting. My reply to those guys is always that I am a full-blooded, and thoroughbred, Nigerian alpha-male. I am NOT so callous as to lie about my unique African heritage to anybody; if they don't like me simply because I am Nigerian, they might as well F-UCK OFF please!
Re: You Lied To Your Interest About Being African/nigerian? by prettyboi1(m): 2:00pm On Nov 05, 2011
First & foremost several foreigners including whites who have stayed in Nigeria can speak pidgin & some other Nigerian languages so why the heck does that surprise some people?
SECONDLY,WHAT KIND OF INFERIORITY COMPLEX SHOULD MAKE YOU DENY WHERE YOU'RE FROM? Alotta Nigerians need to talk to themselves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Love Letter That Can Make A Girl Trip For U / What Is Wrong With This Picture / Should I Still Continue With Her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.