Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail (27353 Views)

Radio Biafra’s Nnamdi Kanu Granted Bail - Vanguard / Breaking News! James Ibori Extradited To The Uk / Breaking News: James Ibori’s Sister, Mistress, Get Five Years In Uk Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by aletheia(m): 8:35pm On Apr 02, 2011
Pharoh:

^^People do not think anymore because it is now fashionable to blame goodluck and pdp for every bad thing in Nigeria.

High-wire politicking. Nigerians should look beyond the surface. It is so easy to manipulate the perception of Nigerians because we do not take time to ponder the signficance of events and why they happen, because we do not connect the dots and recall past history, and because we often fail to digest what we read.

Nigeria is undergoing a change. The old order is passing away, a new order is being born

“Let me tell you the truth by the spirit of God, neither (President Olusegun Obasanjo), OBJ, Atiku (Abubakar), IBB and this tall one, (Muhammadu) Buhari are part of the new. They are part of the old that is decaying. That old one is passing away. The new is emerging and these ones are not part of that new.” - Pastor Tunde Bakare (Buhari's running mate)

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20061002624695

Certainly the old order will not go without a fight.

1) Who stands to gain from Ibori's "release"? Certainly not the president who is Ibori's political rival and whose ascension to the post of president saw Ibori fleeing the country.

2) Any "release" of Ibori at this time is potentially politically damaging to the President and his strategist know this so they most certainly will not encourage it. The only people who gain from Ibori's "release" at this time are the president's political foes.

3) Anyone with a modicum of sense will realize that the timing of this purported "release" on a day when Nigeria is supposed to have had parliamentary elections is obviously designed to influence voters mood and manipulate us into a state of anger against the president.

4) Who are those with influence with the Dubai government to influence such "release". Those whose wives are in Dubai and who have investments in Dubai.  Guesses anyone?
One source told us that former Vice President Atiku Abubakar helped introduce Mr. Ibori to some top members of the ruling family in the UAE. “Chief Ibori’s lawyers and his political contacts in Dubai suggested that the only option open to him was to do something that would subject him to a trial in Dubai,” said a Nigerian source who is close to some of Ibori’s closest associates.

Source: http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/ibori-commits-crime-dubai%E2%80%94-desperate-bid-stall-extradition

5) Is Atiku a political ally of Jonathan? We certainly all know what Atiku thinks about Jonathan running for election.

6) Are Atiku, Buhari and Babangida part of the old order? Pastor Tunde Bakare says yes.

Nigerians should not be deceived. The purported "release" of James Ibori is being blown out of proportion by those who are afraid of true change - a free, democratic Nigeria where our votes count. Not one in which some people are "born to rule".
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by Blazay(m): 8:54pm On Apr 02, 2011
So much for being an Igbo man.
I once stated that if Jonathan "Ebele Azikiwe" was a true Igbo man. . . Ibori would rot in jail.
Oh well, the saga continues and I am loving it!
Make we dey look ooooh!
Nigeria na wah! cheesy

Time for deeeeeeeep-fried catfish/tartar sauce, baked potato(with butter, bacony bits, sour cream and chives of course!)and sweeeeet corn for lunch. . . .and some gooood love-making this hot afternoon as I celebrate this! kiss
No weight management today. . . . except for this my king-sized water bed! cool
Nothing less than 5 rounds! angry
Sam-sam!
Wey ma drum of 'Gatorade' for stand-by? Somebarry go wound bad-bad for today-today, for today-today!

Doh Oghene doh!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee? Iyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Aboh!
Aboh!
Aboh!

Mu he he he he he he
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by cold(m): 9:05pm On Apr 02, 2011
I'm still in denial & don't want to believe this is true by any stretch cuz if it is,it doesn't bode well for camp GEJ at all.

February 19-2011
[b]SaharaReporters has learnt from several authoritative sources that Nigeria's ruler, Goodluck Jonathan, is seeking a deal with the UK and United Arab Emirates (UAE) to allow former Governor James Ibori of Delta State to return to Nigeria.

A source within the Jonathan administration familiar with the details of the deal said that Mr. Jonathan is “trying to persuade Britain and Dubai that to let Chief Ibori come back to Nigeria for a trial that would be a soft landing.”

Mr. Ibori, who is currently being held in Dubai, has lost his legal battles to avoid extradition to the UK where prosecutors have prepared a case file detailing his extensive money laundering activities during the eight years he ran Delta State. Several of Mr. Ibori’s associates, including his wife, Theresa Nkoyo Ibori, mistress Udoamaka Okoronkwo (nee Onuigbo), sister, Christine Ibori-Ebie, and his London-based lawyer, Bhadresh Gohil, have been convicted by a Southwark Crown Court on money laundering charges. Most of them are serving five-year jail terms.

A high level diplomatic source told Saharareporters that the delay in repatriating Mr. Ibori to London was as a result of the highly secretive negotiations that Mr. Jonathan initiated with the government of Britain to facilitate the embattled former governor’s return to Nigeria.

“President Jonathan is assuring Britain that James Ibori will be tried by a Nigerian court, but the deal is to offer Chief Ibori the same kind of trial given to Mrs. Cecilia Ibru,” said a source, a member of Mr. Jonathan’s inner circles.

SaharaReporters sources said Jonathan not only bought the plan to have Ibori face trial in Nigeria but is also using all kinds of inducements to secure British cooperation. “He’s offering more concessions to UK oil interests in Nigeria to ensure that his proposal on Ibori is endorsed,” said a source.

Once the UK gives its assent, the proposal would then be sent to the monarchy in the UAE who will send Ibori back to Nigeria – to face another kangaroo trial.

A source in the UK told Saharareporters earlier today: “We are appalled that the Nigerian government is pursuing a course of action calculated to enable Mr. Ibori to evade proper prosecution,” adding that “the current move calls into grave question the Nigerian government’s commitment to fighting financial crimes.”

A legal expert in the UK said the chances were “extremely good that Ibori would be found guilty in the UK, but I can’t say the same would be true if he’s tried in Nigeria.”

Several sources familiar with Jonathan’s effort to broker a highly secretive deal in Ibori’s favor disclosed that the current governor of Delta state, Emmanuel Uduaghan, was responsible for forcing Jonathan to embrace the proposal. Mr. Uduaghan, who is Ibori’s maternal first cousin, was handpicked by Ibori to succeed him.

One source said that Governor Uduaghan insisted that his total support for Jonathan's presidential campaign would be predicated on Mr. Jonathan using his executive muscle to ensure Ibori’s return to Nigeria instead of his extradition to the UK.[/b]

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/jonathan-secret-talks-bring-ibori-back-nigeria
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by Sunofgod(m): 9:10pm On Apr 02, 2011
He May Be Rehabilitated

Ibori/Buhari 2015 grin
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by Eziachi: 9:12pm On Apr 02, 2011
/
edicolove:

it would have really been a nice election run if buhari supporters can really discuss issues, but every post they post is one insult after another. they like to engage in name calling and blackmail and bullying. if this is the Nigeria we are going to experience if buhari wins then it is sad. i wont discuss with them again because they dont sound like really intelligent articulate people. most of them do not live in Nigeria though so they have no clue of the people's sentiments and inclination.
You mean issues like 53 suitcases?
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by EzeUche(m): 9:13pm On Apr 02, 2011
GEJ had no hand in Ibori's release. Some of you all are acting quite foolish.
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by Sunofgod(m): 9:24pm On Apr 02, 2011
cold:

I'm still in denial & don't want to believe this is true by any stretch cuz if it is,it doesn't bode well for camp GEJ at all.

February 19-2011
SaharaReporters has learnt from several authoritative sources that Nigeria's ruler, Goodluck Jonathan, is seeking a deal with the UK and United Arab Emirates (UAE) to allow former Governor James Ibori of Delta State to return to Nigeria.

A source within the Jonathan administration familiar with the details of the deal said that Mr. Jonathan is “trying to persuade Britain and Dubai that to let Chief Ibori come back to Nigeria for a trial that would be a soft landing.”

Mr. Ibori, who is currently being held in Dubai, has lost his legal battles to avoid extradition to the UK where prosecutors have prepared a case file detailing his extensive money laundering activities during the eight years he ran Delta State. Several of Mr. Ibori’s associates, including his wife, Theresa Nkoyo Ibori, mistress Udoamaka Okoronkwo (nee Onuigbo), sister, Christine Ibori-Ebie, and his London-based lawyer, Bhadresh Gohil, have been convicted by a Southwark Crown Court on money laundering charges. Most of them are serving five-year jail terms.

A high level diplomatic source told Saharareporters that the delay in repatriating Mr. Ibori to London was as a result of the highly secretive negotiations that Mr. Jonathan initiated with the government of Britain to facilitate the embattled former governor’s return to Nigeria.

“President Jonathan is assuring Britain that James Ibori will be tried by a Nigerian court, but the deal is to offer Chief Ibori the same kind of trial given to Mrs. Cecilia Ibru,” said a source, a member of Mr. Jonathan’s inner circles.

SaharaReporters sources said Jonathan not only bought the plan to have Ibori face trial in Nigeria but is also using all kinds of inducements to secure British cooperation. “He’s offering more concessions to UK oil interests in Nigeria to ensure that his proposal on Ibori is endorsed,” said a source.

Once the UK gives its assent, the proposal would then be sent to the monarchy in the UAE who will send Ibori back to Nigeria – to face another kangaroo trial.

A source in the UK told Saharareporters earlier today: “We are appalled that the Nigerian government is pursuing a course of action calculated to enable Mr. Ibori to evade proper prosecution,” adding that “the current move calls into grave question the Nigerian government’s commitment to fighting financial crimes.”

A legal expert in the UK said the chances were “extremely good that Ibori would be found guilty in the UK, but I can’t say the same would be true if he’s tried in Nigeria.”

Several sources familiar with Jonathan’s effort to broker a highly secretive deal in Ibori’s favor disclosed that the current governor of Delta state, Emmanuel Uduaghan, was responsible for forcing Jonathan to embrace the proposal. Mr. Uduaghan, who is Ibori’s maternal first cousin, was handpicked by Ibori to succeed him.

One source said that Governor Uduaghan insisted that his total support for Jonathan's presidential campaign would be predicated on Mr. Jonathan using his executive muscle to ensure Ibori’s return to Nigeria instead of his extradition to the UK.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/jonathan-secret-talks-bring-ibori-back-nigeria

Possibly a strategic move by GEJ and other Nigerian Politicians.

Ibori would have turned into a 'Supergrass' in the UK to recieve less harsh treatment.

He always had that card to play

That may have resulted in a lot of secrets being revealed about Nigerian Politicians and their dealings and further possible prosecutions.

We live in a very sinister world - Afterall wasn't the 'Lockerbie Bomber released on health grounds? (Oil deals)

James 'Bond' Ibori lives to fight another day.(and drink more champagne)

Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by EzeUche(m): 9:25pm On Apr 02, 2011
I am not going to lie, the man is like a Godfather with plenty of "swagga."

Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by cold(m): 9:28pm On Apr 02, 2011
The 'Supergrass' thing crossed my mind but i simply dismissed as a figment of my imagination
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by Sunofgod(m): 9:32pm On Apr 02, 2011
The 'Supergrass' thing crossed my mind but i simply dismissed as a figment of my imagination

The guy has previous convictions in the UK.
So no matter what he would be looking at a long time in jail.

The only way to avoid that would be to become an 'informer'
And that could mean alot of people being exposed.

It would be in the Federal Governments interest that this did not happen.
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by sirp2007: 9:34pm On Apr 02, 2011
there is no way anybody would say GEJ does nt have hand in this, if its the so called opponent that is securing ibori`s bail,wht did GEJ do to stop it, wht l see here is PDP trying 2 oil their rigging machine properly, folarin,bode now ibori, GPHU
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by aletheia(m): 9:37pm On Apr 02, 2011
Sun of god:

Ibori would have turned into a 'Supergrass' in the UK to recieve less harsh treatment.
Maybe but IMO, not likely. My reason is that the timing is inauspicious for the present administration. It's not as if Ibori was going to be extradited to UK today or in the next 1 week.
I think the "release" is blown out of proportion to achieve political aims and make political capital out of it in the week running up to the presidential election. He was "released on bail" not that extradition proceedings against him was dropped.
The question that should be asked why was this done exactly one week before the presidential election. A move that obviously does not favor the incumbent and is calculated to damage his credibility? In any case we continue to observe.
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by cold(m): 9:41pm On Apr 02, 2011
^^I think you are in denial here.You know as well as i do that this 'bail' has PDP written all over it & no it is not been blown out of proportion.The response is proportionate to the deed
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by aletheia(m): 9:43pm On Apr 02, 2011
^Like I said: we continue to observe. . .events as they unfold. grin
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by cold(m): 9:45pm On Apr 02, 2011
^^Lol ok,i see you edited your post grin
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by Sunofgod(m): 9:46pm On Apr 02, 2011
Maybe but IMO, not likely. My reason is that the timing is inauspicious for the present administration. It's not as if Ibori was going to be extradited to UK today or in the next 1 week.
I think the "release" is blown out of proportion to achieve political aims. He was "released on bail" not that extradition proceedings against him was dropped. In any case we continue to observe.

In all likelyhood GEJ will be President for at least the next 4 years.

Therefore even if Ibori was brought to trial in 1 year it would still be during GEJ's tenure.

If Ibori does have 'SShit' on GEJ or any other prominent politician which may result in scandal then he may attempt to use it against them.

Not just to cause embarassment, but especially if it may reduce his sentence from 20 years to say 10 years.

I dont think there is any loyalty between politicians - they are all crooks and animals.
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by aletheia(m): 9:54pm On Apr 02, 2011
Sun of god:

In all likelyhood GEJ will be President for at least the next 4 years.
Perhaps, but it is by no means certain that GEJ will win the elections come Saturday.
Moreover, there is no immediate pressure to extradite Ibori today. Knowing the potential fallout from an Ibori release, if GEJ was directly responsible as some people here are insinuating; he could easily wait until the day after the election results are declared and he's won.
In any case, these are just my speculations. I may be wrong or I may be right.
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by Eziachi: 9:58pm On Apr 02, 2011
EzeUche:
/
GEJ had no hand in Ibori's release. Some of you all are acting quite foolish.
Ezeuche my brother I can't believe how you were caught out on this biggest scam ever, which is, some how JONATHAN is an Igbo man, hence our people must vote for him? You are one of the few I respect his opinion and your good articulation over issues. What happened?

Are you now one of those Igbos who myopically still believed in one Nigeria but sold themselves when they were bamboozed into the jingle that zoning is dead and few days later Nwodo was disgraced beyond repair and more is to come?

There are too many coincidences with Jonathan. A day before he slugged it out with Atiku, Senator Teslim accused of murder was released and all charges dropped. Few days before his arrival in Lagos to dislodge his coined rascals, Bode George was whisked out of prison a free man. Few days to Jonathan's first ever election as a man in front, Ibori is being rumourd to be heading home?
If Ibori is to go to the U.K and decided not to sink alone and decide to sing like a bird, who do you think is at a disavantage, you, me or Jonathan? The same Ibori who boasted of single handedly financing the candidature of Yar Adua/Jonathan?

My brother, its only a person that I  cannot describe will buy ticket for the titanic after hearing the updated news. This is the same PDP that set Anambra on fire, silly me, now they are saying that party doesn't matter, its individual and many like you are buying it.
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by Sunofgod(m): 9:59pm On Apr 02, 2011
Perhaps, but it is by no means certain that GEJ will win the elections come Saturday.

Of course.

The flip side to the coin is if Buhari wins.

If Ibori were to levy allegations of corruption against GEJ with Buhari in power, how many hours before Mr and Mrs GEJ end up in prison?

Either way it seems 'dark forces' felt its best he beats this.
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by Eziachi: 10:08pm On Apr 02, 2011
Sun of god:

Of course.

If Ibori were to levy allegations of corruption against GEJ with Buhari in power, how many hours before Mr and Mrs GEJ end up in prison?

Since when do PDP ever believe they will lose the centre? Come On!
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by aletheia(m): 10:10pm On Apr 02, 2011
Sun of god:

Of course.
Dark arts! smiley
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by sxknx: 10:42pm On Apr 02, 2011
Pure lie. The writer lifted article from 2007 and try to recycle it. Please be careful with what you read online. And please always try to do a little research. Ibori is still in prison. Period!
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by otokx(m): 10:46pm On Apr 02, 2011
PDP is not loosing the presidential election
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by cold(m): 10:48pm On Apr 02, 2011
sx_knx:

Pure lie. The writer lifted article from 2007 and try to recycle it. Please be careful with what you read online. And please always try to do a little research. Ibori is still in prison. Period!
Are you having a brain fart or what?Was Ibori in a Dubai jail in 2007
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by RIPOooo(m): 10:53pm On Apr 02, 2011
The money laundering state releases the money launderer grin
$1 billion was paid for this thief/thug to mingle among humans again.
God go punish all dem 77 million times
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by jaymdee(m): 10:56pm On Apr 02, 2011
Ewwww, who let that boy out of the cage now? Guys, watch your back o, James "ANINI" Ibori is on the prowl.
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by eme37: 11:03pm On Apr 02, 2011
oh dear! let see how it goes
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by fxtopedia(m): 11:42pm On Apr 02, 2011
I smell corruption all over PDP ha sorry FEEDEEFEE
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by kliffo(m): 11:54pm On Apr 02, 2011
Most of these CPC supporters are so dishonest and disingenuous in their posts. The game plan
seems to be to blame GEJ for everything wrong in the country and outside our shores.
Ibori is supposedly bailed and GEJ is responsible
Jega makes a mess of the National Assembly Elections and GEJ is responsible.
Tell enough lies repeatedly and some people will believe them.
You people really make the BB ticket unattractive with your level of intolerance.
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by wesley80(m): 12:16am On Apr 03, 2011
@Kliffo,
Are you surprised? Thats just the way it is with BB and his entire team. I watched their spokesman ( The duck mouthed Odumakin) on Channels Tv earlier today and judging by his own comments there's no way I'm surprised to read this kind of comments online. His every sentence was an abuse to the ruling party and shamelessly accused them of sabotaging the process to gain some sort of advantage. As he yapped and yapped, i just wondered what kind of candidates would choose to have such an uncouth and foul mouthed fellow as their spokesman, well one doesnt have to look too far to get answers do we?
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by bingils(m): 12:53am On Apr 03, 2011
@ ol GEJ supporters its a pity dat, yhu ol are so blind from d simple fact dat ur principal GEJ is clueless n PDP is our common enemy, our future is bleak, dis is that change we've been clamouring for, shun does stupid religous bigotism n sentiments of urs, join the change train lets take our country to greater heights,
Re: Breaking News! James Ibori Granted Bail by bingils(m): 12:54am On Apr 03, 2011
@ ol GEJ supporters its a pity dat, yhu ol are so blind from d simple fact dat ur principal GEJ is clueless n PDP is our common enemy, our future is bleak, dis is that change we've been clamouring for, shun does stupid religous bigotism n sentiments of urs, join the change train lets take our country to greater heights,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Receives Ministerial Screening Report From Saraki (Photos) / I Have Fears Covid-19 Funds Will Be Looted - Olaniyan / Biafra: Abaribe Slams FG For Declaring IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.