Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,019 members, 7,814,482 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job (44617 Views)

Okonjo Iweala: I keep receiving toxic calls and messages / European Union Backs Okonjo-Iweala For WTO Job – Bloomberg / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by JosEast(m): 6:09am On Feb 16, 2021
Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria’s former Finance Minister, says she was surprised that the administration of President Donald Trump could stand in her way of leading the World Trade Organisation (WTO).

At a press briefing monitored by Daily Trust, the new Director-General of WTO said she did not see it coming.

She said she felt she had a good understanding with the US government which interviewed her about the job twice.

“I think I was quite surprised when that came (opposition from Trump) because there was no indication that there was any problem with the US.

“I had two good interviews with the authorities and with the administration so it was a surprise. But that’s the way life works. When things happen, you take them in your stride and you move on.

“It was absolutely wonderful when the Biden/Harris administration broke that logjam. They joined the consensus and gave such a strong endorsement to my candidacy. They joined the other 163 members to endorse my candidacy,” she said.

The United States government had last week announced its endorsement of Mrs Okonjo-Iweala for the top job.

It became clear earlier on Friday that Okonjo-Iweala, a former World Bank executive, would clinch the coveted post after her final challenger, South Korean Trade Minister and candidate, Yoo Myung-hee, announced her withdrawal.

Although 163 member countries had elected Okonjo-Iweala in October, the US under Trump was critical of WTO’s handling of global trade, saying South Korea’s Yoo Myung-hee could reform the body.

The four-month selection process for the next WTO director-general hit a road block when Washington said it would continue to back South Korea’s trade minister.

The US had said WTO “must be led by someone with real, hands-on experience in the field”.

“Ms Yoo has distinguished herself as a trade expert and has all the skills necessary to be an effective leader of the organisation.

“This is a very difficult time for the WTO and international trade. There have been no multilateral tariff negotiations in 25 years, the dispute settlement system has gotten out of control, and too few members fulfill basic transparency obligations. The WTO is badly in need of major reform,” said the office of US Trade Representative, which advises Trump.

https://dailytrust.com/okonjo-iweala-i-was-surprised-trump-blocked-my-wto-job

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Monogamy: 6:13am On Feb 16, 2021
I really don't think this is necessary...

You have now been appointed so Move on Ma

172 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by LawLab247: 6:13am On Feb 16, 2021
Ok
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Freestainworld(m): 6:19am On Feb 16, 2021
Trump just created enemies everywhere, no body will vote the man again

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Mokason288(m): 6:20am On Feb 16, 2021
Freestainworld:
Trump just created enemies everywhere, no body will vote the man again
No body will vote any of Trumps relatives

As long as Trump is attached to the name

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

141 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by johnmartus(m): 6:23am On Feb 16, 2021
Stop bragging madam you look for work and you got it already then get to work and stop ranting after you grabbed power.I know she can't go far.

32 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Fahdiga(m): 6:29am On Feb 16, 2021
Between the two of you who had the last laugh

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Legalcriminal: 6:35am On Feb 16, 2021
Trump na one bad fellow worshiped my flat head terrorist

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by PataAlhajaKeji(m): 6:35am On Feb 16, 2021
Flat-heads confused about who to support on this issue.

"Should we back our recently crest-fallen American hero, Donald Donatus Okechukwu Trump?"

"Should we blast Dona and back our Ogwashi-ukwu sister even though she's not completely Igbo, as she's not from any of our 5 SE states?"

Wahala be like Dangote towel ...

164 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Cantonese: 6:36am On Feb 16, 2021
No mind am.

“America first” as his foreign policy made him shortsighted in some instances.

Let’s thank God and hope that her position will be very beneficial to our country.

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by TheMan3: 6:36am On Feb 16, 2021
Why won't be block it when your president supporing you is behaving like a Fulani herds man. Just thank God that Joe is trying my mend fences with a lot of people right now. Under the same circumstances, he would have made the same dession

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Nobody: 6:36am On Feb 16, 2021
Trump was a very big fool, a racist and a white supremacists!!!!!!

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by bigeliot(m): 6:37am On Feb 16, 2021
No b ur fault my dear, e get y... Ask buhari
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Tajbol4splend(m): 6:38am On Feb 16, 2021
Trump is a racist but our mumu brothers have slavery mentality, so it's Trump or no one

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:38am On Feb 16, 2021
Maybe it was her relationship with the Gates with the whole GAVI thing going on.

It can be as simple as that, and I believe a smart girl like her might have thought of that

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by DesChyko: 6:38am On Feb 16, 2021
Exclusive to Daily Trust grin
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Enudapan: 6:38am On Feb 16, 2021
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

Trump has being a major racist since 1960

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by SmartPolician: 6:38am On Feb 16, 2021
Monogamy:

Oga, I think she was answering questions from journalists.

She is free to speak.

Trump is sadistic

112 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by atokefum: 6:38am On Feb 16, 2021

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by kambili999(f): 6:38am On Feb 16, 2021
Trumpie. Congratulations great woman.

smiley
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by thoollz: 6:38am On Feb 16, 2021
I still see no reason people wanted Trump to continue, especially when he's known not to like coloured people. Trump made so many enemies infact it was as if it was a woman that was the United States president.

Everything worked for NOI as even her opponent had to step down and Trump was booted out of office. If something is yours, it will be yours.

It's left for NOI to prove her doubters wrong and do the needful in her duties.

12 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by onoms4luv(m): 6:38am On Feb 16, 2021
Over excitement dey make person dey over talk... Madam NOI is okay now, just go and work. and make us proud.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Monogamy: 6:38am On Feb 16, 2021
SmartPolician:

Oga, she was answering questions from journalists.

Did you even read the news story before commenting?

??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Nobody: 6:39am On Feb 16, 2021
my WTO?

Nigeria is the largest black gathering, heart of Africa. The trigger according to Mandela NB and the Africa's big brother. If Africa will get it right, does it mean Nigeria must get it right to influence other Africa countries positively?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by sheddyboy01(m): 6:39am On Feb 16, 2021
Forget the past and focus on what you would do to justify people's confidence in you

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by Nobody: 6:39am On Feb 16, 2021
Madam that pic there is sub par. See where she placed her lappy.

The table is of low quality.

Again please, you are no longer the finance minister of Naija, kindly start wearing suits.

Thanks and congrats.

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by SoulMus: 6:39am On Feb 16, 2021
cool

Trump eleribu

Just as Adesina of AfDB survived his assualt am glad Mama Okonjo Iweala survived

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job by janetakan(f): 6:39am On Feb 16, 2021
Move on already!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Corpses Of 8 Boko Haram Terrorists & Weapons Recovered By Troop Today / Army Rigged For Ruling Party (PDP) – Oshiomhole / Army Seizes Fake Policemen Vehicle In Rivers - See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.