Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,101 members, 7,814,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal (11015 Views)

House Of Representatives To Legalise Indian Hemp Use For Economic Benefits / Reps To Legalise Use, Sale Of Cannabis In Nigeria / South-West Governors Move To Legalise Amotekun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Metrix147: 9:37pm On May 18, 2021
Spokesperson of House of Representatives, Hon. Benjamin Kalu has clarified that the move by the House to legalise the use of Indian hemp in the country is not to encourage smoking among the populace but for industrial and pharmaceutical reasons, as well as for the purpose of boosting production of over 50 products.

Describing Indian hemp as one of the products needed across the world, the Bende federal constituency representative said if legalised, the agricultural produce can help in production paper, textiles, biodegradable plastics, beverages, personal care products, fuel among others.

Speaking on Tuesday on a radio programme, Ben Kalu Mandate streamed live by ABN TV, he said legalising cannabis is not a leeway to encourage smoking, maintaining that as a born-again Christian, he has not engaged in smoking or any other form of intoxicant since birth and will not encourage it.

He revealed that according to verified market research, the global industrial hemp market in 2019 was valued at $5bn, saying it is projected to reach $36bn in 2026.

While adding that Nigeria could be a big exporter of cannabis if the right steps are taken, Hon. Kalu urged Nigerians to apply critical thinking to innovations instead of attack.

While adding that other countries are legalising the growing of industrial hemp, he advised that Nigeria must not be left behind.

In line with UN Single Treaty, he added that the product will be limited to few people, saying unauthorized access will attract sanctions.

Hon. Kalu insisted that at a time when the entire world is moving away from fossil fuel, transiting into alternative power sources to power vehicles and others, Nigeria must not be left behind.

On the medicinal benefit of cannabis, he stated that the World Health Organization, WHO December last year recommended that the United Nations, UN should remove cannabis from schedule 4 of 1961 single convention on narcotic drugs and be classified as a therapeutic and medicinal substance.

https://abntv.com.ng/2021/05/move-to-legalise-indian-hemp-not-for-smoking-but-medicinal-economic-reasons-reps-spokesperson/

3 Likes

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Jake420: 10:15pm On May 18, 2021
Far as I'm concerned it's a God given plant with which he said use in any way you endeavour

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Nbotee(m): 10:20pm On May 18, 2021
Ehn it will b smoked medicinally

127 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by ThinkSmarter: 10:40pm On May 18, 2021
Marijuana should not be discriminated, it's a powerful plant that I will literally call the forbidden fruit.

It will make your brain to open up and you will become as wise as the gods.

It has a right to exist and be used like other plants like scent leaf, curry plants, ginger, garlic, onion, pepper etc.

Everything that the lord made is clean.
The THC and CBD compounds contained in marijuana are well recepted by our brains.

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Authoreety: 4:36am On May 19, 2021
Anyone can serve...

1 Like

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Olamilekxy(m): 4:38am On May 19, 2021
Nah person wey never smoke weed before will say weed isn't good, I swear weed is sweeter than pucci.

Ain't talking about drugs like Colorado, I'm talking about real and natural weed.

52 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by solexjames(m): 4:39am On May 19, 2021
grin grin no problem
Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Vlibray: 4:40am On May 19, 2021
Some people won’t like this news
I remember the first and last time I ate weed with noodles grin grin
It ended in tears
I’m glad it did
Cos by now, I for don upgrade

6 Likes

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by dfrost: 4:40am On May 19, 2021
Hmmm...
Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Antoeni(m): 4:40am On May 19, 2021
Akala Boys of Mushin We not be Happy to Hear this
Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by tempusfugit: 4:41am On May 19, 2021
Let me prepare my 10 acres of land in Edo state, if you know you know!!!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by lexy2014: 4:41am On May 19, 2021
Metrix147:

https://abntv.com.ng/2021/05/move-to-legalise-indian-hemp-not-for-smoking-but-medicinal-economic-reasons-reps-spokesperson/

It's illegal & they are smoking it. When it's legalized, smokers will now repent because it's for medicinal use

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Yankee101: 4:43am On May 19, 2021
I can imagine how many reps smoke ish

1 Like

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by LightUpWithKemi: 4:43am On May 19, 2021
With due respect, I found it not a worthy course for our national assembly members to deliberate on legalizing cannabis at this crucial period. This shows Nigerian leaders are failures in all ramifications. May God borrow them sense.

Meanwhile, check my signature for exciting video. Many educative contents on the way. Kindly subscribe, watch and share with your friends. Merci!

4 Likes

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by dfrost: 4:43am On May 19, 2021
ThinkSmarter:
Marijuana should not be discriminated, it's a powerful plant that I will literally call the forbidden truth.

It will make your brain to open up and you will become as wise as the gods.

It has a right to exist and be used like scent leaf, curry plants, ginger, garlic, onion, pepper etc.

Everything that the lord made is clean.

I agree with you on this albeit you will also agree that dosage should be adequately administered else it creates a monster out of us.

1. There should a medical reason for taking it.

2. It should be within a controlled environment.

6 Likes

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by dfrost: 4:44am On May 19, 2021
LightUpWithKemi:

With due respect, I found it not a worthy course for our national assembly members to deliberate on legalizing cannabis at this crucial period. This shows Nigerian leaders are failures in all ramifications. May God borrow them sense.

Meanwhile, check my signature for exciting video. Many educative contents on the way. Kindly subscribe, watch and share with your friends. Merci!

Why not legalize it? Any reason for not?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Amuochicha(f): 4:50am On May 19, 2021
Confused politicians....
I hate Nigerian politicians

1 Like

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by BruncleZuma: 4:50am On May 19, 2021
grin grin grin grin

Surviving Nigeria is a medical condition.

7 Likes

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Pavore9: 4:52am On May 19, 2021
Consume for medicinal use......for Nigeria? cheesy cheesy
Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Rickywardell332: 4:52am On May 19, 2021
Land for sale
Deed of conveyance
Price 1.5m Per plot Negotiable
Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Nobody: 5:03am On May 19, 2021
That one na una business grin grin grin grin grin I dey go slawormir side like this

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Nobody: 5:04am On May 19, 2021
Why all this fuss over a common plant that induces deep thought? ...

1 Like

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by iampeterben(m): 5:08am On May 19, 2021
You can't tell us what to use it for if fully legalized...
Legalising it is not the problem we face as a nation, they are numerous problem. Fix Nigeria first, leave Weed.
Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by LightUpWithKemi: 5:22am On May 19, 2021
dfrost:

Why not legalize it? Any reason for not?

Not now. What have they done to address insecurity issue in this country? Have they ever put the executive arm of government on their toes for their ineptitude? Unemployment - have they come up with any blueprint to resolve it? Have they drafted capital punishments for ills that plagues our society today? Have they asked Mele Kyari, NNPC GMD, why he refuses to complete recruitment process that started in June 2019 despite their knowledge about the development?

My bro/sis, the list is endless. That useless deliberation should be DOA (Dead On Arrival).

1 Like

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by TimmyTen(m): 5:22am On May 19, 2021
Tell them
Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by EzegeNdiigbo: 5:24am On May 19, 2021
Mehn na naija

Evry where Jaga jaga
Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by symbianDON(m): 5:27am On May 19, 2021
Nbotee:
Ehn it will b smoked medicinally

2 Likes

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by markidoo(m): 5:28am On May 19, 2021
Janja weed government A.k.A the Zoo republic
Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by Hotzone(m): 5:30am On May 19, 2021
I am cultivating already

1 Like

Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by fasho01(m): 5:30am On May 19, 2021
We know. However, there are many routes of administration and smoking falls under the oral route of medicinal administration
Re: Benjamin Kalu: Move To Legalise Indian Hemp Not For Smoking But Medicinal by ecomalchemist(m): 5:31am On May 19, 2021
igbolabi nation, strictly behind the fg

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gunmen Kill NDLEA Operative Close To Military Checkpoint In Ebonyi / Boko Haram Plans To Bomb Political Rallies, Worship Centres - NOA / Pastor Bakare: God Told Me To Run With Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.