Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,694 members, 7,831,165 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists (23818 Views)

Yinka Oyebode: EKSG Letter To Obas: Purely An Administrative Issue / Shocker APC Caught Sharing Money/envelop To Obas / Ekiti 2018: PDP Blasts Fayemi For Refusal To Pay Homage To Obas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by Doraty1(f): 1:08pm On Jul 14, 2021
The Ogun State House of Assembly has told traditional rulers in the state that it will not allow the use of human beings for rituals during the installation or burial of a monarch.

The Speaker of the Assembly, Olakunle Oluomo, said this on Wednesday while declaring open, a public hearing on the traditional council law of Ogun State 2021 at the Assembly Complex, Oke- Mosan, Abeokuta.

Oluomo stated that the lawmakers are not against traditional rites for installation and burial of Obas in the state, saying, however, that the use of humans for the purpose is barbaric and no longer allowed.

“Nobody is saying they should not do traditional rites for installation and burial of Obas, but we are not going to support the usage of human being for rituals, as the world has moved away from that barbaric practice, which is even against the right to life and human dignity as guaranteed by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria”, the speaker declared.

The speaker clarified that the bill does not set out to specifically tinker with the burial rites as being speculated.

Rather, Oluomo explained that the legislation was initiated to correct many existing anomalies in the traditional institution, especially the conduct of installation without following due process including absence of declaration for some traditional stools, which, he said, has been creating difficulty on how to determine those entitled to the throne.

The speaker submitted that such “unethical practice” had made it easy for unqualified persons and strangers to lay unmerited claims to the stool, thereby creating distortions in historical records in recent times.

Oluomo mentioned that the Assembly would pass a bill that would put a stop to the attendance of political rallies by monarchs, thereby returning the institution to its pride of place and honour.

“We have equally seen where a town or village is in existence (as orile) and the Baale is there, but in their developed area, where plots of land were sold to strangers to erect residential structure, such strangers were later allotted a traditional stool illegally, instead of promoting the existing Baale to the status of a coronet Oba. It has been the new norm of short-changing the original inhabitants of the area in the selection of monarchs to the advantage of strangers which must stop.

“These are part of the things we are trying to correct and if you look at the number of petitions before the House and litigations going on in the various courts of law in the State, over 70% of such court cases are based on Obaship issues because of the lacuna and errors of application of the existing traditional council laws”, the speaker stated.

In their contributions, other stakeholders including the representatives of Egba Traditional Council and Towulade of Akinale Kingdom, Oba Olufemi Ogunleye; National Secretary, Committee for the Defence of Human Rights, Comrade Yinka Folarin; Chief Imam of Gbagura, Prof. Kamaldeen Balogun; harped on the essence of peaceful co-existence among religious groups and commended the Assembly on the proposed bill with an assurance of conveying their positions through memoranda in due course.

Also, the representatives of the traditional worshipers’ group, Fagbemi Ifakorede from Ota and the State Secretary of Ifa worshippers, Faniyi Awoyemi, noted that the traditional belief remained essential in the running of traditional institution, stating that monarchs were to be buried in line with the traditions and customs of their people.

https://dailypost.ng/2021/07/14/we-wont-allow-usage-of-humans-for-rituals-ogun-assembly-tells-obas-traditionalists/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 14, 2021
Good!!

Let them fight for their right in a peaceful manner.

12 Likes

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by PlayMaker14: 1:11pm On Jul 14, 2021
Trying to infringe on their Ancestral veneration as traditional worshippers is a silly thing to do.

This social intercourse among the worshippers and diety which the Ogun State Government considers fetish is also practiced by Celestial Church of Christ Members were most of the government officials do go for spiritual fortification.

In Celestial Church of Christ for example, they have this Ancestral veneration regarded as “Esin Amissa” or “Amissa Service” where they invoke the soul of the dead.

If the Celestial Church of Christ can go with this their Ancestral veneration uninterrupted, then, they should also allow the traditional worshippers.

Modified; The original topic has nothing to do with human sacrifice. It has been changed. The initial caption was just traditional practice.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by theTranslator: 1:14pm On Jul 14, 2021
Our traditional practices must not be criminalized
As far as nobody's life is endangered
We should be able to worship our Òrìṣà

Until Africans go back to thier roots and stop trying to be Europeans
Africa will remain backward

We should modify our ansestors practices not completely eliminate them

Africa is bad because we are living a false identity

Killing of people should be removed
But our culture must continue and flourish

Yoruba flourished when we were worshippers of orishá
We achieved so many feats that the "almighty" Europeans couldn't in the same time

Since the sudden taking up of the European's system Africa has been stagnant and retrogressive
Look at Ethiopia the most aged surviving black civilisation
Now ravished with war and tribal sentiments
I am not against the introduction of foreign civilisation
I am against the "sudden" introduction
Since the sudden taking up of the European's system we have been retrogressive

Look at Korea,Japan and China
The European civilisation came little by little not "suddenly"

Conclusion: Look inward not outward

disclaimer: this is what I feel
I do not claim to be an authority
I am very prone to mistakes

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by duro4chang(m): 1:14pm On Jul 14, 2021
The issue is purely traditional thus should be left as it is.
Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by Nkitara: 1:15pm On Jul 14, 2021
Yorubas are funny grin, are this the traditional rulers who ran away the day during protest grin grin

15 Likes

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by DankemzI(m): 1:31pm On Jul 14, 2021
I'm proudly a traditionalist, I worship the gods of Mutanda
Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by omoharry(f): 4:29pm On Jul 14, 2021
PlayMaker14:
Trying to infringe on their Ancestral veneration as traditional worshippers is a silly thing to do.

This social intercourse among the worshippers and diety which the Ogun State Government considers fetish is also practiced by Celestial Church of Christ Members were most of the government officials do go for spiritual fortification.

In Celestial Church of Christ for example, they have this Ancestral veneration regarded as “Esin Amissa” or “Amissa Service” where they invoke the soul of the dead.

If the Celestial Church of Christ can go with this their Ancestral veneration uninterrupted, then, they should also allow the traditional worshippers.
Make sure you volunteer your head and blood for their next ritual .ok? Yeye man .

90 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by nazicartel(m): 4:34pm On Jul 14, 2021
Wait.... So they do human sacrifice over there too...... Nawaooo

6 Likes

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by omoharry(f): 4:36pm On Jul 14, 2021
theTranslator:
Our traditional practices must not be criminalized
with blood of the innocent ? You went to school avd still reasoning like a barbarian . Next time volunteer you blood and your head for thier sacrifice . My God the wickedness of a black man . Thank God for civilization- even though some people refuse to leave behind this barbaric lifestyle of killing innocent people just to install an oba.
You are not different from the Fulanis who roam around with their cows & start killing people and taking possession of their land just becos it their way of life and must not be criminalize .

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by PlayMaker14: 4:37pm On Jul 14, 2021
omoharry:
Make sure you volunteer your head and blood for their next ritual .ok? Yeye man .
Yeye man? Nah, I think you're mistaking me for your father. smiley

The original topic has nothing to do with human sacrifice. It has been changed. The initial caption was just traditional practice.

9 Likes

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by theTranslator: 4:38pm On Jul 14, 2021
omoharry:
with blood of the innocent ? You went to school avd still reasoning like a barbarian . Next time volunteer you blood and your head for thier sacrifice . My God the wickedness of a black man . Thank God for civilization- even though some people refuse to leave behind this barbaric lifestyle of killing innocent people just to install an oba.
You are not different from the Fulanis who roam around with their cows & start killing people and taking possession of their land just becos it their way of life and must not be criminalize .
anty calm down
I support traditional practices as far as they don't kill or destroy others lives

3 Likes

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by omoharry(f): 4:39pm On Jul 14, 2021
PlayMaker14:
Yeye man? Nah, I think you're mistaking me for your father. smiley
Yeye! So you like your life but you wish the blood and head of another to be use for your traditional ritual just to install an oba . You are evil and a cold hearted sociopath

25 Likes

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by PlayMaker14: 4:41pm On Jul 14, 2021
omoharry:
Yeye! So you like your life but you wish the blood and head of another to be use for your traditional ritual just to install an oba . You are evil and a cold hearted sociopath
Like I said, please don't mistake me for your dad.

The original topic has nothing to do with human sacrifice. It has been changed. The initial caption was just traditional practice.

5 Likes

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by YungMillionaire: 4:48pm On Jul 14, 2021
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by illicit(m): 4:48pm On Jul 14, 2021
shocked
Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 14, 2021
So finally they've agreed that they mine skulls grin

I sell unisex turtleneck for adult and kids

Payment On Delivery Within Lagos

Pls click on my moniker/name for samples and contact wink

6 Likes

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by dmbb: 4:48pm On Jul 14, 2021
This is indeed a nice development

1 Like

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by Parisian: 4:49pm On Jul 14, 2021
Those of you that always rubbish Christianity and claim we should go back to our various traditional religions, you see yourself now.

13 Likes

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by GboyegaD(m): 4:49pm On Jul 14, 2021
Better ooo
Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by Tyranny: 4:49pm On Jul 14, 2021
Is that sh!t still happenin'?
Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by FarahAideed: 4:49pm On Jul 14, 2021
Stories joor
Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by olufolarin2222: 4:49pm On Jul 14, 2021
This news is not clear enough, have they being using human before?

1 Like

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by ijayopi(m): 4:50pm On Jul 14, 2021
If dem no gree, make them bring out their own children and use for the ritual. Simple!

10 Likes

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by RichDad1(m): 4:50pm On Jul 14, 2021
I hope other house of assemblies emulate this and ban these archaic and barbaric process.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 14, 2021
Ok
Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 14, 2021
Culture is culture. Isn't that what Igbos say when supreme court tell them to allow women inherit properties? Or when folks are told to scrap bride price?

We should respect culture!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by sirusX(m): 4:50pm On Jul 14, 2021
They would complain that it’s their ancestral right and they need to appease the gods of the land
Re: Don't Use Humans For Rituals - Ogun Assembly To Obas, Traditionalists by Kayberg: 4:50pm On Jul 14, 2021
Make I talk?
No.
E no concern me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jos Jailbreak: Names, Photos Of Escaped Prisoners declared wanted / Igbo Traditional Leaders, Town Groups, Age Grades Show Support For Nnamdi Kanu / Atiku In A Closed-Door Meeting With Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.