Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M (52026 Views)

Can You Go Back To JSS1 For 300million naira? / JSS1 Student Caught While Trying To Use 'Juju' On A Female Student In Lagos / Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Seeksnigeria: 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2021
JSS1 student suspended for alleged indiscipline sues Ekiti govt, seeks N15m damages

After being suspended from school for alleged indiscipline and her parents’ assault on teachers, a JSS1 student of Mary Immaculate Secondary School , Ado Ekiti, Gift Agenoisa, has sued the Ekiti State Government, seeking N15 million damages for breach of fundamental rights.

In suit number HAD/01/CR/2021 sworn to at the Ado Ekiti High Court, on her behalf by Mrs Odunayo Agenoisa, she claimed that her suspension from school by government after her parents allegedly beat up some teachers for punishing her for indecent dressing and gross indiscipline, infringed on her rights.

The plaintiff described as cruel and inhuman, the alleged treatment meted to her for coming to school with the indecent hairstyle.

Joined in the suit are: The School Principal, Mrs Oluwasanmi F.M (first respondent); the Commissioner for Education, Dr Olabimpe Aderiye(second respondent); the Ekiti State Teaching Service Commission(third respondent); and the Ekiti State Government (fourth respondent).

In the affidavit attached to the originating summons, the plaintiff claimed that she was singled out of assembly on May 22, 2021, and given 20 lashes of the cane on the order of the school principal for alleged indecent hairstyle.

In her originating summons deposed to by her counsel, Mr Timmy Omotoso, and brought pursuant to Order 2 rules 1,3,4,5 and 6 of the fundamental rights enforcement procedure rules 2009 as preserved by Section 315 of the 1999 constitution, the applicant demanded N15 million damages for her suspension.

She also demanded her immediate reinstatement back to school with unfettered access to all services being rendered therein.

The plaintiff claimed that the beating she got that day resulted in bruises, life-threatening scars and bloodstains on her uniform, adding that she fainted and was rushed to the police clinic in Ado Ekiti, where she was resuscitated.

She claimed further that her letters of protest to the wife of the Ekiti State Governor and some relevant government agencies were not responded to, hence, her resorting to legal action to seek redress.

The plaintiff added that she was being denied access to the school premises and her class on the order of the principal since then.

Meanwhile, the case which came up before Justice Lekan Ogunmoye of the Ekiti State High Court, on Thursday, was adjourned to September 22 for hearing.

On May 22, the plaintiff’s father, also a Police Sergeant, Elijah Agenoisa, allegedly mobilized four armed policemen to the school to manhandle some teachers for scolding his daughter for coming to school with an indecent hairdo against the school rules and regulation.

Consequently, the school suspended his daughter and the Ekiti State Police Command had allegedly queried the policeman, the result of which is unknown.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dailypost.ng/2021/08/13/jss1-student-suspended-for-alleged-indiscipline-sues-ekiti-govt-seeks-n15m-damages/%3famp=1

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by TarOrfeeek: 3:56pm On Aug 13, 2021
I am going to sue Olobopkiri Comprehensive Highschool, Opobo for N100,000,000.

They switched my destiny with farm labour in our JSS 3.

Look at me, I'm not settled in life.

352 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Siggynigeria: 4:01pm On Aug 13, 2021

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Ibaaboy(m): 4:04pm On Aug 13, 2021
OK

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Authority1o1(m): 4:07pm On Aug 13, 2021
Okay...

The girl in question is rather unwise to take such a case to court.

Sueing for suspension is dumb. The suspension was clearly incurred by her appearance in the school environment which the school's attorney-at-law wouldn't take much pain in tagging a moral threat and ethically unacceptable.

Caning—which the school can deny it ever happened—hasn't even become outlawed in Nigeria, which makes her a appear like a desperado who wants to put a round peg in a square hole.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by ERockson: 4:07pm On Aug 13, 2021
Foolishh father. The father should have handled it in a better way without blacklisting the innocent child.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by ivolt: 4:08pm On Aug 13, 2021
Can we see the "Indecent hairstyle" please?
They would likely lose this case as it would be hard to show why school admins
standard should not overrule personal lifestyle choice.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by SILVERLINES: 4:15pm On Aug 13, 2021
Me sef gonna sue my secondary School mathematics teacher
That big belly man maltreated me so much then in his class cos I wasn't good in mathematics.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Moferere: 4:18pm On Aug 13, 2021
Orisirisi

You carry indecent hairstyle go school and you still get mind to sue

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by NwaNimo1(m): 4:20pm On Aug 13, 2021

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by seunmsg(m): 4:23pm On Aug 13, 2021
The parent of the innocent girl just want to ruin her future with this greed reeking lawsuit. They should withdraw the suit immediately and allow the girl continue her education without this greedy induced distraction.

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by RZArecta(m): 4:32pm On Aug 13, 2021
Many parents keep overindulging their children till they become spoilt brats.

19 Likes

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by aribisala0(m): 4:37pm On Aug 13, 2021
Authority1o1:
Okay...

Sueing for suspension is dumb. The suspension was clearly incurred by her appearance in the school environment which the school's attorney-at-law wouldn't take much pain in tagging a moral threat and ethically unacceptable.

Caning—which the school can deny it ever happened—hasn't even become outlawed in Nigeria, which makes her a appear like a desperado who wants to put a round peg in a square hole.
But it is Okay to sue for not being allowed to wear hijab?
Caning was "INLAWED" when exactly?

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by earthsync(f): 4:42pm On Aug 13, 2021
Authority1o1:
Okay...

Because of indecent hair do they should kill someone's child? Didn't you read the part that she was rushed to a clinic because of the kind of beating they gave her?
Even if the school denies this I'm sure there are witnesses who could testify against it

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Imustnottalk: 5:17pm On Aug 13, 2021
Children of nowadays
Jss1 no be breast I dey see for front like dis

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Akporo1234: 5:31pm On Aug 13, 2021
Know your right!

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Holaomoakin(m): 5:41pm On Aug 13, 2021

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by IVORY2009(m): 5:46pm On Aug 13, 2021
Authority1o1:
Okay...

She is not wise, am telling you, first the school has rules and regulations regarding dress code, code of conduct, how her hair should look, perhaps low cut, but I guess she did otherwise, and she must have been told from day one of her admission into the secondary school, which she accepted, in other words, she has no case.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by uchrikk(m): 5:58pm On Aug 13, 2021
She's just doing JSS1. I wonder what she would do by the time she gets to SS3.
Result of bad parenting.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by 1shortblackboy: 6:03pm On Aug 13, 2021
Authority1o1:
Okay...

20 strokes of the cane and suspensions is that not excessive for a hairstyle ? She no thief or kill person o

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by BornorBang: 6:10pm On Aug 13, 2021
Funny.
Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Seeksnigeria: 6:17pm On Aug 13, 2021
Woooawu
Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by earthsync(f): 6:26pm On Aug 13, 2021
Holaomoakin:
Dis
So this is the indecent hairstyle? wth

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 13, 2021
blessedemeritus:
Hello Nairalanders,
Having read many comments, and response to persons who share their story here on Nairaland and received several advice and positive opinions, I now have the courage and confidence to divulge on you for your guidance and recommendations.

Am a Law student in one of the state University, currently in my sophomore year, I'm in state dilemma as to what step to take next in life, because of my present situation in life, I'm the first child in the family of 4 and taking responsibility of my younger ones'. Because of the burden and responsibilities on me, my school fees, my needs and that of my kid ones' considering how things are tough for me, i think it will be difficult for me to continue my studies at this time.
I'm considering dropping out of school to huzzle or learn handwork to meet my kid ones' need and make life easy for us, because things are really difficult for us now. But will appreciate your candid advice on what to do, drop out to learn handwork? Which handwork will you suggest for me?
YOUR OPINIONS,
ADVISE,
RECOMMENDATION
SUGGESTIONS, will be appreciated.
NO INSULT PLEASE.

Current CGPA 4.70

Where are your parents?

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Oloniyan(m): 6:32pm On Aug 13, 2021
The truth is both of them are wrong!
The School on their part should have dealt with her diplomatically either by sending her back home to redress the hairdo or by just giving her punishment measures with stern warning to cut it before coming the next day which could have averted all these unnecessary tainting of their image.

The student on her part was wrong as it is normal for EKiti state owned schools to have rules and regulations governing them on their behaviours and other aspects of their academic which she obviously flaunted.

Let see how this will pan out.
I'm from Ekiti though and i had my primary and secondary educations from there.
You can't take this hairdo to OHS and Fatoye or Olajiga will not finish your career with cane

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Depressed101: 6:32pm On Aug 13, 2021
Ohhhh. What a time to be alive... So wowww

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by aribisala0(m): 6:45pm On Aug 13, 2021
She is practising her religion
Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by phineas: 6:54pm On Aug 13, 2021
She has every right to sue them,we will not progress as a nation if we don't challenge these kinds of wrong appropriately to prevent them from happening again

The narcissists that were the teachers abused their powers,why cane a child 20 times for her hairstyle? Btw what's wrong with that hairstyle set,it's quite nice,but then it's ekiti

Sue them under child abuse laws,open a go fund me page for the girl and let Nigerians get her a better school

Ekiti people we see you,backward set of aggressive people ,nonsense

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 13, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

I am going to sue Olobopkiri Comprehensive Highschool, Opobo for N100,000,000.

They switched my destiny with farm labour in our JSS 3.

Look at me, I'm not settled in life.
Hahaha. You're not serious ahswear

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Police Seal Off Dowen College (Pictures) / Photo: See A Teacher's Resignation Letter / "I Paid N4.8M For My Master's Program, I Starved And Borrowed" - Young Man