Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,452 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families (6709 Views)

INVESTIGATION: How Children From Rich Nigerian Families Help Finance Boko Haram / INVESTIGATION: How Children From Rich Nigerian Families Help Finance Boko Haram / Breaking!!! 158 Kidnapped Victims Reunite With Families In Yobe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by smile4kenn(m): 8:10pm On May 24, 2011
A Nigerian family planning expert has told the BBC it would be difficult to implement the suggestion that Nigerians should only have three children.
Isaac Ogo pointed to the tradition of polygamy and the belief that the children were seen as a "gift from God" in a male-dominated society. Recent UN figures suggest Nigeria's population could jump to 730 million by 2100 - behind only India and China.

On the streets of the northern city of Kaduna, some people told the BBC that God decided how many children they had and so it would be wrong to try to limit the number of births. "[The UN] should try to advise the government how to make the lives of Nigerians better, not telling Nigerians not to have children - that is not their business," one angry woman said.

But one woman agreed  that in a poor country such as Nigeria, it was better to have fewer children and look after them properly. Nigeria's population is currently 160m - by far the most populous in Africa but a long way behind those of China and India.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13530649
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by jumobi1(m): 8:24pm On May 24, 2011
Free that daft tradition. We must learn. I say limit to 2/family
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by lannre(m): 8:29pm On May 24, 2011
why tell man- born twenty if you so wish- they will curse you later
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by violent(m): 8:34pm On May 24, 2011
I feel the government must wade into this issues. People should not keep having kids they aren't able to care for simply because they've got an uncontrollable testosterone/estrogen pump
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by Mynd44: 10:40pm On May 24, 2011
If they want this policy to work, they should make condoms free of charge

1 Like

Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by smile4kenn(m): 1:48am On May 25, 2011
if nigeria brings such law, Wa bout polygamous family, how many kids will they have?
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by yogos: 2:45am On May 25, 2011
I seriously doubt the number of over 700 million would actualise by 2100. The paper failed to take into account economic and educational development, which would reduce the propensity to have as many kids as possible. This realisation is already beginning to materialise today. The fertility rate has fallen from a high of 6.7 in 1980 to less than 4.73 today http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/fertility-rate-total-births-per-woman-wb-data.html and is excepted to drop to less than 3 before 2050.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by ektbear: 3:14am On May 25, 2011
Good idea, but seems difficult to enforce
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by smile4kenn(m): 4:31am On May 25, 2011
fed govt should focus on improving electricity, providing jobs, health care instead of this shi.tty talk of family planning,
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by oleam: 11:25am On May 25, 2011
Its is a vital topic for the future of Nigeria or rather any nation. Limit of 2 per family is ideal.
More children means more needs to be met. This are the things that encourage competitions and increase poverty in nations that dont have right strategies implemented.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by babyme1(f): 11:31am On May 25, 2011
I support the idea 100%. If it is implemented, i see Northerners rioting and killing lipsrsealed
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by chamber2(m): 11:35am On May 25, 2011
this is rubbish.I think those guys at the UN are becoming redundant.Same story every time.

UN, through its relevant agencies, should increase aid/grant to Nigeria to improve on education, health, infrastructure etc. When the people are well fed and educated , they will appreciate the importance of a lesser family.UN wants three children per family in a country where child mortality at birth is about 150/1000 birth.Family planning will not work inasmuch as Nigerians remain poor and uneducated.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by chines4(m): 11:42am On May 25, 2011
Personally the target is 3. School fees now is something else. not to talk of upkeep.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by alfablondy: 11:46am On May 25, 2011
I tink 2 is ok maximum 3. especially in country like ours. life is not just about living alone but the quality of life is also important. when things become better generally then we can afford to start increasing family size if we so dsire.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by ak47mann(m): 11:52am On May 25, 2011
Good idea but the problem is how to educate the illiterates men and women. Govt need to provide basic infrastructure then with steady light water hospitals  a poor man can think about family planing they can educate them by inviting them in a clinic through their doctor for advice cool cool
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by Blazing99: 12:03pm On May 25, 2011
The number of births in a family should be based on the wishes of the couple. Not something that should be imposed upon by the government.

FAMILY PLANNING CAN ONLY BE ENCOURAGED.

If I choose to have more than 5 children, it is nobody's freaking business as long as I can take care of them and they are not a liability to the society.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by nolongTing: 12:07pm On May 25, 2011
The so-called planning experts should focus on family values and creating an enabling environment. China has half a billion more people than AFRICA, India has nearly half a billion more people than AFRICA, Japan has no resources and suffers from Earthquakes yet they have a population the same size a s Nigeria! Who is fooling who? Africa is the second largest continent in the world and its underpopulated. Nigeria's population is an asset because the most valuable resource is human resources.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by T9ksy(m): 12:08pm On May 25, 2011
baby.me:

I support the idea 100%. If it is implemented, i see Northerners rioting and killing lipsrsealed

Yes o. . . . . . .and they will be killing southerners!
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by Nobody: 12:27pm On May 25, 2011
story story

A country incapable of providing electricity and water or conductinf free and fair elections, cannot possibly implement such a policy
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by marjo: 12:57pm On May 25, 2011
i recall when IBB raised this issue of limiting children to 4/family , people sniffed and asked if it is 4 children per man or 4 children per woman wink.
i do find that most of today's middle class couples limit their kids to between 2 -3. i think the economic realities and the desire for a good quality of life are and will continue to be major factors as well as the fact that more and more people are marrying later .

I have 3 and meeennnn it is tough - food, education, clothes, medicals not to talk of the effizy side - CD's, DVDs, Mr Biggs, Waterparks etc undecided.

some argue that they can have as many as they want as long as they are not asking govt for money to train them and then they will have 10 and when they will all grow and you will expect them to have jobs, use the infrastructure that was earmarked for x nos of people - then you will complain that govt cannot provide basic needs. this is why the whites dont always like we african, arabs, asians etc. we come to their countries, breed like rabbits shocked- my britico cousins term and then complain that infrastructure is breaking down undecided
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by otitokoro1: 1:01pm On May 25, 2011
I don't think Government has any business in the numbers of children in family, because they have no programme that caters for family, This agenda should be pending we have a government support social system.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by basadenet: 1:18pm On May 25, 2011
In china, it is 1 child per family. Nigeria should not be an exception. so i support d idea of 3 per family. this will even help the economy to grow well.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by thundaBOLT: 1:26pm On May 25, 2011
Am the not against the issue of 3/family but what is the motive behind it? Is it the motive behind the introduction of HIV/AIDS as means of population control in Africa which was No. 1 objective of UN or ,

If people disagree why not m
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by omo9ja1(m): 1:31pm On May 25, 2011
I think 3 is ok but honestly 2 would be better smiley
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by thundaBOLT: 1:32pm On May 25, 2011
Am the not against the issue of 3/family but what is the motive behind it? Is it the same motive behind the introduction of  HIV/AIDS as means of population control in Africa which is No. 1 objective of UN or ,

Why not make a LAW that will punish having baby outside wedlock and abolish Divorce in order to reduce the number of Almajiris so that our country can be save.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by pelezico: 1:46pm On May 25, 2011
nolongTing:

The so-called planning experts should focus on family values and creating an enabling environment.  China has half a billion more people than AFRICA, India has nearly half a billion more people than AFRICA, Japan has no resources and suffers from Earthquakes yet they have a population the same size a s Nigeria! Who is fooling who? Africa is the second largest continent in the world and its underpopulated.  Nigeria's population is an asset because the most valuable resource is human resources.

Very wisely said nolonTing - some Nigerians are so brainwashed by Western propaganda to see the agenda behind population control.  Nigeria was featured in MoneyWeek (20 May 2011 Issue 538 - Nigeria is featured on the front cover) and they were saying that Nigerias large population is an asset to Nigerias future prosperity.  Infact they said that Nigeria can easily support twice the current population size.

I get really upset at how DUMPED down and how easily seduced Nigerians are becoming.  For those who advocate African population control (like Ted Turner etc) why dont these people start by culling members from their own family first.

Since this was reported on the BBC maybe the government should ask the Indian and Muslim population to stop having to many children and if like China (with its policy of female infanticide) they do not agree or have children without State permission kill em. Imagine!!

Children are a blessing from God- Nigerias problems are GROSS mismanagement of Gods resources not population control
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by tunnytox(m): 1:56pm On May 25, 2011
So they want to reduce one very good source of export for Nigeria, lol grin grin
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by cvibe: 2:01pm On May 25, 2011
This proposal can't work here in Nigeria
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by okwanuzo3(f): 2:12pm On May 25, 2011
Mynd_44:

If they want this policy to work, they should make condoms free of charge
Men should be given free vastecomy after 3 children instead.
Over population is a bigger issue than people realise.
When families have more children than they can take care of, you find older siblings saddled with huge responsibilties at very young ages which is very unfair.
That's breeding ground for crime and immorality. No one will seat back and watch their family suffer if they think they can do something about it.
Check backgrounds of most thieves, armed robbers and prost-itutes.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by Aboluwarin: 2:17pm On May 25, 2011
That is why poverty increases everyday, people gave birth anyhow without having plan for them,God himselves is the master planner he never created than two Adam and Eve. If we dont find things to do to this Nigerian will never free from poverty.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by THEAMAKA(f): 2:19pm On May 25, 2011
Nigeria should raise it's living standards and then this won't be an issue. backward politicians.
Re: UN's "3 Baby Plan" For Nigerian Families by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 25, 2011
Aboluwarin:

That is why poverty increases everyday, people gave birth anyhow without having plan for them,God himselves is the master planner he never created than two Adam and Eve. If we dont find things to do to this Nigerian will never free from poverty.

Gbam. This is an international problem!!! I'm sure it will be hard for some people to accept but it's hard to provide for one's children when they are not prepared for them in the first place but yet having them in large numbers!! The responsibility in the end would fall on the gov.t's shoulders and esp. tax payers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Scarcity Of Forex May Drive Kerosene Price Higher / Bayelsa Billionaire Keniebi Okoko, Dies Of Cosmetic Surgery In Lagos / It May Be Ribadu And Oshiomhole For AC as Tinubu Drops Out .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.