Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,118 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers (21942 Views)

Zenith Bank Adopts New Financial Reporting Style For Half-year / Banks Use Female Marketers To Woo Senators, Reps-elect (Punch) / I Want To Setup A Computer & Phone Retailer Shop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by denzel2009: 3:16pm On May 29, 2011
Eziachi:

grin grin grin grin grin
Believe it on not, Why buy a designer suit for £400  at Oxford Street when you can get it at East Street market for £50.99 or any other Sunday market? Southern visitors knew these places or taken there by relatives living in London, while our northern brothers are not privilege  to such. And Sunday markets don't do VAT either and you can haggle the price too Nigerian style grin grin grin

Yaaaay, I have been wondering who buys those suits with lapels like moinmoin leaves anytime I walk past East Street market. Here you are, nice to meet you finally. cheesy
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by KnowAll(m): 3:20pm On May 29, 2011
G
BAM!

I have been holding that fact as arsenal in reserve.

Wetin my arse they go look for for Debenhams in Oxford Street? 

Wetin my arse dey even look for even for Oxford Street itself when I fit hit several cheaper alternatives

I can see you are still tripped by the bright lights of London, you too would over-come your fear and phobia of Oxford Street and Jermyn Street with time. Take it at your pace ladtongue
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by namfav(m): 3:39pm On May 29, 2011
haters gonna hate, in the meantime these shops are appeasing for hausa dollars
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Sagamite(m): 5:34pm On May 29, 2011
KnowAll:

I can see you are still tripped by the bright lights of London, you too would over-come your fear and phobia of Oxford Street and Jermyn Street with time. Take it at your pace ladtongue

Don't go there, son.

You gonna lose. grin
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Katsumoto: 8:17pm On May 29, 2011
Somethings to ponder on

1. I might not dispute Hausa/northern shoppers being heavy spenders from Nigeria in the 80s and 90s but that has changed since 1999 when the spending power of most middle class Nigerians increased.
2. Taking a walk on Oxford street and Knightsbridge, you are just as likely to come into contact with Southern shoppers (Yoruba, Igbo, Benin, and the South South people) as you are to come into contact with hausa shoppers.
3. The British are well aware that most southern nigerians speak and understand English, so why waste funds trying to communicate with them
4. Most of the Northerners that you find shopping in England tend to be the ones that are sitting on their peoples development and also tend to have wives who don't speak a word of English (similar to Arabian women you find in those places who wear the Burkah). I have run into some groups of hausa shoppers who probably have only one or two people who understand English and translate for the rest.
5. Nigerians (Yoruba, Igbo, SS) living in London may not frequent the west end so much but a significant number of Southern Nigerians can be found in the West end

I would hazard a guess that Debenhams is trying to reach those Nigerian shoppers who don't speak English and are probably heavy spenders and not because they are the heaviest spenders from Nigeria. This is also in line with why foreign bodies have programmes in Hausa.

@ Sagamite
Take your time o; na prof Ola olabiy you dey jab? angry

Ma je ka ja o. grin
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Sagamite(m): 9:11pm On May 29, 2011
Katsumoto:

Somethings to ponder on

1. I might not dispute Hausa/northern shoppers being heavy spenders from Nigeria in the 80s and 90s but that has changed since 1999 when the spending power of most middle class Nigerians increased.
2. Taking a walk on Oxford street and Knightsbridge, you are just as likely to come into contact with Southern shoppers (Yoruba, Igbo, Benin, and the South South people) as you are to come into contact with hausa shoppers.
3. The British are well aware that most southern nigerians speak and understand English, so why waste funds trying to communicate with them
4. Most of the Northerners that you find shopping in England tend to be the ones that are sitting on their peoples development and also tend to have wives who don't speak a word of English (similar to Arabian women you find in those places who wear the Burkah). I have run into some groups of hausa shoppers who probably have only one or two people who understand English and translate for the rest.
5. Nigerians (Yoruba, Igbo, SS) living in London may not frequent the west end so much but a significant number of Southern Nigerians can be found in the West end

I would hazard a guess that Debenhams is trying to reach those Nigerian shoppers who don't speak English and are probably heavy spenders and not because they are the heaviest spenders from Nigeria. This is also in line with why foreign bodies have programmes in Hausa.

I think the easier one makes money, the easier it is to spend it. Most middle class people work hard for their money, so I really cannot see them as the highest spenders even though I know they are on Oxford Street.

But when one is a Senator getting allowance he did not have to work for or received bribes to short-change the nation (e.g. Halliburton) or has stolen shyt loads from public treasury (maybe through contracts got as "business men"wink, then spending huge money at a go will not be a problem. Easy money, easy spending. These kind of people are all over Nigeria but the difference between the North and the South is what you said, i.e. the Northerners might have wives/family that can not speak English. Then I think the Southerners might have more family and friends that live in the UK and who will direct them to alternative spots. The combination of these 2 (plus the fact that Oxford street is next to Allahu-Akbar Marble Arch) might add to the big spenders spotted in Oxford Street being Northerners.

Katsumoto:

@ Sagamite
Take your time o; na prof Ola olabiy you dey jab?  angry

Ma je ka ja o.  grin

grin grin grin
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by cheikh: 9:23pm On May 29, 2011
Ileke-Idi
Abegii. Give this people as much opportunities as you give the Southerners, and they'll be just as competitive.
Bad leadership and religion is their problem.

@Ileke-Idi ^^

I am surprised at you wink. Were Southerners given much opportunities really? Are you not underestimating northern competitiveness? Is bad leadership and religion not Our collective problem? grin wink
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Katsumoto: 9:57pm On May 29, 2011
Sagamite:

I think the easier one makes money, the easier it is to spend it. Most middle class people work hard for their money, so I really cannot see them as the highest spenders even though I know they are on Oxford Street.

But when one is a Senator getting allowance he did not have to work for or received bribes to short-change the nation (e.g. Halliburton) or has stolen shyt loads from public treasury (maybe through contracts got as "business men"wink, then spending huge money at a go will not be a problem. Easy money, easy spending. These kind of people are all over Nigeria but the difference between the North and the South is what you said, i.e. the Northerners might have wives/family that can not speak English. Then I think the Southerners might have more family and friends that live in the UK and who will direct them to alternative spots. The combination of these 2 (plus the fact that Oxford street is next to Allahu-Akbar Marble Arch) might add to the big spenders spotted in Oxford Street being Northerners.

grin grin grin

Debenhams is more likely to make money from middle class shoppers than heavy spenders because of the numbers of middle class shoppers. If its only the Debenhams on Oxford street or if the retailer was a luxury brand, then I might have been convinced that they are appealing to their usual customers. In this case, I am just going with the retailer trying to reach some of its illiterate customers.

Sagamite, Nigerians on holiday shop on Oxford street and the West end in general. You are right in stating that many southerners stay with families and friends but that also means that they have more money to spend on shopping. Lets not also forget awon ike (credit card) boys that shop heavily in the west end. 10 Northerners spending £10,000 can not outspend 150 southerners spending £2000 and 15 (ike and yahoo boys) spending £5000. grin
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by ezeagu(m): 10:11pm On May 29, 2011
Katsumoto:

Debenhams is more likely to make money from middle class shoppers than heavy spenders because of the numbers of middle class shoppers. If its only the Debenhams on Oxford street or if the retailer was a luxury brand, then I might have been convinced that they are appealing to their usual customers. In this case, I am just going with the retailer trying to reach some of its [size=18pt]illiterate customers[/size].

People who can read a sign (or anything) are not illiterate.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by murtalaa(m): 10:25pm On May 29, 2011
I remember a chanced meeting with my former state governor, Bafarawa, at Debenhams. After we greeted, one of the shop assistants could not hide her curiosity and asked me why we greeted him with so much respect and all. I asked her to wait and see for herself. The shopping that guy did left even the store manager in awe. Can you imagine this guy bringing his house maids to london just to help carry the shopping baskets?

While i agree that yorubas and igbos by far outnumber hausas in london, yorubas and igbos are rarely seen in high street stores like oxford street. yorubas and igbos in london are mostly hurslers and oxford street is definitely not for the minimum wage brackets. If a you take a casual stroll along the east london's liverpool street, whitechapel, stratford or deftford bridges's open markets you would see yorubas in abundance doing "their bend and choose" shopping.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by olaolabiy: 10:31pm On May 29, 2011
murtalaa:

I remember a chanced meeting with my former state governor, Bafarawa, at Debenhams. After we greeted, one of the shop assistants could not hide her curiosity and asked me why we greeted him with so much respect and all. I asked her to wait and see for herself. The shopping that guy did left even the store manager in awe. Can you imagine this guy bringing his house maids to london just to help carry the shopping baskets?

While i agree that yorubas and igbos by far outnumber hausas in london, [b]yorubas and igbos are rarely seen in high street stores like oxford street. yorubas and igbos in london are mostly hurslers [/b]and oxford street is definitely not for the minimum wage brackets. If a you take a casual stroll along the east london's liverpool street, whitechapel, stratford or deftford bridges's open markets you would see yorubas in abundance doing "their bend and choose" shopping.
I wan yab your dirty mouth but . . .

Tell me, what is so special about this Oxford street?

There, you have Gap, Next, Primark, and many other high street stores they have in Peckham.

Just shut up!

In fact, you need help - fast!
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Katsumoto: 10:33pm On May 29, 2011
ezeagu:

People who can read a sign (or anything) are not illiterate.

Stop being a pedant;most would understand my point.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by murtalaa(m): 10:57pm On May 29, 2011
ola olabiy:

I wan yab your dirty mouth but . . .

Tell me, what is so special about this Oxford street?

There, you have Gap, Next, Primark, and many other high street stores they have in Peckham.

Just shut up!

In fact, you need help - fast!
yes i need help, my 3 months old LV shirt is obsolete, i better hit oxford street fast! grin
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Tsiya(m): 11:21pm On May 29, 2011
This is amusing. I haven't thought this will linger longer than 2 pages and then suddenly we have 9 pages of trivial forth and back, assumptions and counter assumptions. Couldn't a person contact Debenhams and find out why they have Hausa instead of Yoruba or Igbo if he isn't happy with Hausa?
Katsumoto:

Debenhams is more likely to make money from middle class shoppers than heavy spenders because of the numbers of middle class shoppers. If its only the Debenhams on Oxford street or if the retailer was a luxury brand, then I might have been convinced that they are appealing to their usual customers. In this case, I am just going with the retailer trying to reach some of its illiterate customers.

Sagamite, Nigerians on holiday shop on Oxford street and the West end in general. You are right in stating that many southerners stay with families and friends but that also means that they have more money to spend on shopping. Lets not also forget awon ike (credit card) boys that shop heavily in the west end. 10 Northerners spending £10,000 can not outspend 150 southerners spending £2000 and 15 (ike and yahoo boys) spending £5000. grin

Being able to read in Hausa qualifiers them as literate. Nigerians should be proud of their language.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Katsumoto: 11:35pm On May 29, 2011
Tsiya:

Being able to read in Hausa qualifiers them as literate. Nigerians should be proud of their language.

Keep denying the problems that exist in the North of Nigeria. English is the lingua franca in Nigeria and not hausa. Nigerian citizens who are unable to read and write in English are illiterate (it means they are unable to communicate with other citizens who don't understand Hausa); especially as these citizens have the means to pay for expensive plane tickets and articles but can't find their way to classrooms.

Besides, southerners are able to read and write in their mother tongues as well as in english.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Sagamite(m): 12:01am On May 30, 2011
Katsumoto:

It is only the Debenhams on Oxford Street.

Katsumoto:

Awon Alaye "Ike" no go ask for VAT receipt to claim now!

If "to ba ti wole", "won ti Deliver e" then that is the end of the buyer-seller relationship for that particular line of transaction. grin grin grin
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by logica(m): 12:54am On May 30, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Why so much hate for Hausas?
Abegii. Give this people as much opportunities as you give the Southerners, and they'll be just as competitive.

Bad leadership and religion is their problem.
. . . and isn't that the slant of this thread? You might be the one to personally give them opportunities o, since their chosen leaders will rather spend allocations - you see, they don't even produce anything! They are being given free money to @ least use to jump-start something! - that could provide the opportunities in shops in the UK and elsewhere, while the rest of the dunces cheer and claim they are "hated on".
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Sagamite(m): 1:02am On May 30, 2011
logica:

. . . and isn't that the slant of this thread? You might be the one to personally give them opportunities o, since their chosen leaders will rather spend allocations - [b]you see, they don't even produce anything! [/b]They are being giving free money to @ least use to jump-start something! - that could provide the opportunities in shops in the UK and elsewhere, while the rest of the dunces cheer and claim they are "hated on".

Apart from Lagos and maybe some Ibo states, please tell me what any other state produces.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by logica(m): 1:08am On May 30, 2011
Sagamite:

Apart from Lagos and maybe some Ibo states, please tell me what any other state produces.
None, you are free to open a thread on other states. Here, we are talking about a particular region, and the fact that others are guilty doesn't negate the point I made. Kapish?
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Katsumoto: 1:09am On May 30, 2011
Sagamite:

Ondo and Ekiti produce Cocoa for export. Or are you referring only to manufacturing?

Nigeria has realized N133.4billion ($882.9million) from the export of cocoa and cocoa products in 2010 alone.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/nigeria-makes-n133bn-from-cocoa/
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by logica(m): 1:13am On May 30, 2011
Katsumoto:

Ondo and Ekiti produce Cocoa for export. Or are you referring only to manufacturing?

Nigeria has realized N133.4billion ($882.9million) from the export of cocoa and cocoa products in 2010 alone.

Guy, I stick to KISS (Keep it simple stupid). I know enough states producing something, but it was unnecessary educating anybody here. You didn't have to.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Katsumoto: 1:16am On May 30, 2011
logica:

Guy, I stick to KISS (Keep it simple silly). I know enough states producing something, but it was unnecessary educating anybody here. You didn't have to.

Why not? Sagamite asked a question and I felt compelled to answer. Or are you insinuating that I shouldn't have answered cos the question was directed at you? Why was it unnecessary?
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by lepasharon(f): 1:23am On May 30, 2011
r u ppl still arguing?mscheewww! *walks out*
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by logica(m): 1:26am On May 30, 2011
Katsumoto:

Why not? Sagamite asked a question and I felt compelled to answer. Or are you insinuating that I shouldn't have answered cos the question was directed at you? Why was it unnecessary?
For Sagamite to have tried diverting from my point by making an ignorant comment, all I had to do was proving my point still stood without volunteering any education. Sagamite could get educated but I won't provide it. smiley
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by aaidel(m): 3:09am On May 30, 2011
nigerians and their pettiness instead of facing more serious issues we are here debating who spends more at debenhams while the ruthless elite are busy cleaning out our treasuries we are here debating useless issues i wonder sometimes if those in the south are not suffering like those in the north or the problems of nigeria apply to only one tribe or group proud yoruba people will always view others as inferior to them while the minority literate hausa's are busy along with their friends from other tribes sucking us dry
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Sagamite(m): 9:36am On May 30, 2011
Katsumoto:

Good point.

logica:

None, you are free to open a thread on other states. Here, we are talking about a particular region, and the fact that others are guilty doesn't negate the point I made. Kapish?

logica:

For Sagamite to have tried diverting from my point by making an ignorant comment, all I had to do was proving my point still stood without volunteering any education. Sagamite could get educated but I won't provide it. smiley

Shut up!

Your point was ignorant and you had no answer to my question because you did not know.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by aaidel(m): 9:54am On May 30, 2011
@ logica they produce majority of the food you and your family eat. See like I said yoruba people always feeling superior what nigeria needs isn't taking of sides but first of all admitting that we all are responsible for the way nigeria is then solutions can be proffered but as long as. We keep pointing fingers we can never face any problems squarely enough to face them
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by Sagamite(m): 10:10am On May 30, 2011
aaidel:

@ logica they produce majority of the food you and your family eat. See like I said yoruba people always feeling superior what nigeria needs isn't taking of sides but first of all admitting that we all are responsible for the way nigeria is then solutions can be proffered but as long as. We keep pointing fingers we can never face any problems squarely enough to face them

He wouldn't know that, he is ignorant and dumb!

Nigerians are uneducated or under-educated so all they can do is throw conjectures. The more annoying thing is the noise and chest-beating that come with the shouting of their conjectures.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by logica(m): 10:39am On May 30, 2011
@aaidel,

Firstly "most of the food" u talk about come from the "middle-belt" (Idomas and other ethnicities who are not Hausa speaking btw) & not the north (but ignorant people generally don't know the difference), but then let's even allow that. So in your opinion, non-export food production (which is more or less subsistence farming) is the only claim u can pull up? How much of this food production come from or is supported by the state governments?

As for Sagamite, he remains a dunce & I'll do well 2 ignore.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by blacklion(m): 10:51am On May 30, 2011
murtalaa:

Yes, there we have it. Here is an example of Hausa-Fulani 'businessman' and 'professional' squandering money at Debenhams.

Where are the m o r o n s who were denying yesterday that the Hausa people shopping at Debenhams are the thieves and rogues?

Thank God this Mutallabist has confessed that his governor Bafarawa is among the Hausa thieves that shop at Debenhams.

What exactly does Sokoto produce for Bafarawa to be spending at Debenhams?

What does Sokoto contribute to Nigeria's GDP?

So whose money is Bafarawa squandering at Debenhams?

Federation Allocation derived from the blood money of Niger Deltans + VAT + tax revenues generated in the South.

Useless & hopeless parasites and leeches. That region will remain the poorest and most backwards with all these Mutallbists we have here on nairaland.
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by aaidel(m): 10:58am On May 30, 2011
I'm sorry but your middle belt conjecture is wrong yhe north produces most food apart froom rrots and tubers irrespective of how you demarcate it geographically that's apart from animal husbandry and sadly yes it is subsistence farming which isn't supported much by any form of government. Cast your mind back to a few months back when hausas decided cost of transporting food was too high and went on strike and what happened to food prices in the south frankly speaking no region of nigeria is self sufficient enough to stand on its own our leaders realise this that's why they haven't hearkened to calls to separate the country oh and by the way the north is not made up of only hausa speaking tribes
Re: London Retailer Shop Adopts Hausa Language To Woo Customers by blacklion(m): 11:03am On May 30, 2011
The most annoying aspect is that it is this very same far northern states where the Hausa-Fulani are to be found that are dragging Nigeria down since 1960.  These are the areas with the highest indices of maternal and infant mortality rates, poverty, illiteracy and disease. It is on record that northern Nigeria is the last remaining place on earth where polio and meningitis reign rampant. In fact, northern Nigeria has turned into the primary incubator of these dreadful diseases in the whole world since the emirs and imams have refused to allow these diseases to be eradicated. No wonder Lagos is full of hideous beggars from the North; the emirs and imams breed the beggars and ship them to Lagos to milk the generosity of southerners.

If you subtract the far northern states from Nigeria's Human Development Index as assessed by the UN and international institutions, you will discover that Nigeria will suddenly leap into the middle ranking categories. Southern Nigeria is very well advanced in the key indicators such as literacy, access to safe water, infant/maternal mortality etc.  Southern Nigeria on its own would be a mid-income country, not almost bordering on least developed category thanks to the stupidity and wickedness even unto their own people of the Hausa-Fulani elites.

This is why the Northern elite witch-hunted Soludo for telling them the bitter truth that their region is the poorest and the most backward and is dragging Nigeria behind. They got rid of him and replaced him with a Sharia law expert who wants to conduct Islamic finance experiments with Nigeria's economy.

Yet, we are seeing all sorts of m o r o n s coming here to nairaland to brag how they and their fellow elites are squandering southern Nigeria's wealth in London - even while their own people are wallowing in illiteracy and disease back home.  Its clear now that Maj. Orkar and his fellow coupists were prophets. They saw that Nigeria can never move forward as long as the shadow of the Caliphate hangs over the country.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

LG Chairman Locks Akerodo Market For Being Dirty / A Sample Of Sanusi New 200 Naira Note / Lg, Hisense & Nexus Showroom {A Great pl to get your home & business appliances}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.