Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread (6329 Views)

Prof Osinbajo' At Sudan's Presidential Inauguration Ceremony (photos) / Unforgettable Sights At The 2015 Presidential Inauguration / Yusuf Buhari And Sisters At Presidential Inauguration Gala Night (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by 1025: 6:50pm On May 29, 2011
Get out,u get generator?bad belle.

@intelligen,
if u are not from the lineage of goats, u won't tell me get or even ask me if i have a generator when students of these days all over the country go back to school with generators.
if u tell ur parents get away, i know that won't be a bad idea to tell me get away. i wish my daughter will also tell u get away. untrained children of manner-less parents.  

@topic,
what is there to watch in a govt where an ordinary speaker of house of reps can keep $1b in just one account. if anyone is celebrating pdp at any level, that one is simply celebrating criminals.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by cvibe: 6:59pm On May 29, 2011
Transformation began today
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Konnekt(m): 7:49pm On May 29, 2011
Let me start by congratulating Nigerians as a whole for such a peaceful conduct of this inauguration. Atleast there has been no (and of course there will be no) report of bomb explosion and the likes. At this point in time, we need peace and people (The masses, not the 'looters' ) oriented government.

I therefore admonish our newly elected leaders to be different and NOT be like the rest. As for our state Imo, the rescue mission has taken charge, Ikiri will soon take to heels, If he has not already.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by ziccoit: 9:18pm On May 29, 2011
I don't even remember today is the inauguration day not to mention watching a charade of looters. As if I don't have better things to do with my time.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by sartorius(m): 10:02pm On May 29, 2011
haha murray bruce can whyne person sha, and patience why are you wearing ur wedding dress
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Nobody: 10:05pm On May 29, 2011
Did anyone watch them dance to Victor Uwaifo's "Joromi"? Lol.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by sartorius(m): 10:11pm On May 29, 2011
dey were just dancing like robots,
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by gacha: 10:15pm On May 29, 2011
Did anyone listen to d inaugural speech ? Wat was GEJ talking about wen he was say "We will fight for electricity; we will fight for quality education; we will fight for job creation, etc" who is fighting who ? And the speech was so uninspiring !
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 29, 2011
can someone post a link of the highlights? i just want to see the military parade. Don't we like have the largest army in Africa or something??
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Nobody: 10:34pm On May 29, 2011
sartorius:
dey were just dancing like robots,

Abi o lol.

gacha:
Did anyone listen to d inaugural speech ? Wat was GEJ talking about wen he was say "We will fight for electricity; we will fight for quality education; we will fight for job creation, etc" who is fighting who ? And the speech was so uninspiring !

I was trying to read the full context of his speech online since I couldn't watch it live. My head was hurting. I'll do it by the end of the day though. Hopefully at that time I have the power to do so.

As for fighting? I laugh in Idioma.

"Join me now as we begin the journey of transforming Nigeria. I will continue to fight, for your future, because I am one of you. I will continue to fight, for improved medical care for all our citizens. I will continue to fight for all citizens to have access to first class education. I will continue to fight for electricity to be available to all our citizens. I will continue to fight for an efficient and affordable public transport system for all our people. I will continue to fight for jobs to be created through productive partnerships."

I don't know who he's fighting either. All Nigerians want those things. It's only a matter of planning and implementing.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by goggs(m): 10:39pm On May 29, 2011
gacha:

My brother, na grammar we go need to tackle these problems, abi? Going by the decadence of the power, education and other sectors of the economy, if its not a BIG FIGHT to get them working again, I dont know what else we can do.

What is left to do to right Nigeria is to fight the vested interest that are militating against the adequate supply of all things good in this country. The speech is in order. This fight is not for GEJ along. We all must fight for the good things that ought to come to us. Buying credit, logging on to the net and blogging about it is one way to fight for those things - making our voices heard. Did you think that he meant motor park kind of fight? It figurative.

What I look forward to is GEJ translating his speech to action, shikenan
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by bash673(m): 10:51pm On May 29, 2011
gacha:

May be he thinks he is the NLC President, so he have to fight it out from the Government.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by goggs(m): 10:57pm On May 29, 2011
the speech

PROTOCOL

1. My Dear Compatriots, I stand in humble gratitude to you, this day, having just sworn to the oath of office as President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of our great nation.

2. I thank you all, fellow citizens, for the trust and confidence, which you have demonstrated through the power of your vote. I want to assure you, that I will do my utmost at all times, to continue to deserve your trust.

3. I would like to specially acknowledge the presence in our midst today, of Brother Heads of State and Government, who have come to share this joyous moment with us. Your Excellencies, I thank you for your solidarity. I also wish to express my gratitude, to the Representatives of Heads of State and Government who are here with us. My appreciation also goes to the chairperson of the African Union and other world leaders, our development partners, and all our distinguished guests.

4. I want to specially thank all Nigerians for staying the course in our collective commitment to build a democratic nation. To members of the PDP family and members of other political parties, who have demonstrated faith in our democratic enterprise, I salute you.

5. At this juncture, let me acknowledge and salute my friend and brother, Vice-President Namadi Sambo; and my dear wife, Patience, who has been a strong pillar of support.

6. I thank her for galvanizing and mobilizing Nigerian women for the cause of democracy. In the same vein, I owe a debt of gratitude to my mother and late father. I cannot thank them enough.

7. I cannot but paytribute to our late President, Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, with whom we won the Presidential election four years ago, when I contested as his running mate. May God bless his soul.

8. I also wish to pay tribute to our founding fathers, whose enduring sacrifices and abiding faith in the unity and greatness of our country, laid the foundation for the nation. We take enormous pride in their contributions. The pivotal task of this generation is to lift our fatherland to the summit of greatness.

9. Your Excellencies, Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, earlier this year, over seventy-three million eligible Nigerians endured all manner of inconvenience just to secure their voters cards,in order to exercise the right to choose those that will govern them.

10. At the polls, we saw the most dramatic expressions of the hunger for democracy. Stories of courage and patriotism were repeated in many ways, including how fellow citizens helped physically challenged voters into polling stations to enable them exercise their franchise. The inspiring story of the one hundred and three year-old man, and many like him across the country, who struggled against the physical limitations of age to cast their vote, is noteworthy.

11. Such determination derives from the typical Nigerian spirit of resilience in the face of the greatest of odds. That spirit has, over the years, stirred our hopes, doused our fears, and encouraged us to gather ourselves to build a strong nation even when others doubted our capacity.

12. Today, our unity is firm, and our purpose is strong. Our determination unshakable. Together, we will unite our nation and improve the living standards of all our peoples whether in the North or in the South; in the East or in the West. Our decade of development has begun. The march is on. The day of transformation begins today.We will not allow anyone exploit differences in creed or tongue, to set us one against another. Let me at this point congratulate the elected Governors, Senators, members of the House of Representatives and those of the States Houses of Assembly for their victories at the polls.

13. I am mindful that I represent the shared aspiration of all our people to forge a united Nigeria: a land of justice, opportunity and plenty. Confident that a people that are truly committed to a noble ideal, cannot be denied the realization of their vision, I assure you that this dream of Nigeria, that is so deeply felt by millions, will indeed come to reality.

14. A decade ago, it would have been a mere daydream to think that a citizen from a minority ethnic group could galvanize national support, on an unprecedented scale, to discard ancient prejudices, and win the people’s mandate as President of our beloved country. That result emanated from the toil and sacrifice of innumerable individuals and institutions, many of whom may never get to receive public appreciation for their effort.

15. Only a couple of days ago, I received an entry on my Facebook page. It was sent by Mr. Babajide Orevba. He wrote to inform me that I had lost a great fan. That fan was his father, Mr. Emmanuel Bamidele Orevba. The deceased, the son told me, was no politician, but had campaigned enthusiastically for my ticket. Tragically, overwhelmed by the joy of our victory, he collapsed, and passed on three days later. I pray God Almighty to grant his soul eternal rest.

16. The success of the 2011 elections and the widespread acclaim which the exercise received was due to the uncommon patriotism and diligence exhibited by many Nigerians, including members of the Armed Forces, National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) and others. Unfortunately, despite the free, fair and transparent manner the elections were conducted, a senseless wave of violence in some parts of the country led to the death of ten members of the NYSC and others. These brave men and women paid the supreme sacrifice in the service of our fatherland. They are heroes of our democracy. We offer our heartfelt prayers and condolences in respect of all those who lost their lives.

17. In the days ahead, those of us that you have elected to serve must show that we are men and women with the patriotism and passion, to match the hopes and aspirations of you, the great people of this country. We must demonstrate the leadership, statesmanship, vision, capacity, and sacrifice, to transform our nation. We must strengthen common grounds, develop new areas of understanding and collaboration, and seek fresh ideas that will enrich our national consensus.

18. It is the supreme task of this generation to give hope to the hopeless, strength to the weak and protection to the defenceless.

19. Fellow citizens, the leadership we have pledged is decidedly transformative. The transformation will be achieved in all the critical sectors, by harnessing the creative energies of our people.

20. We must grow the economy, create jobs, and generate enduring happiness for our people. I have great confidence in the ability of Nigerians to transform this country. The urgent task of my administration is to provide a suitable environment, for productive activities to flourish. I therefore call on the good people of Nigeria, to enlist as agents of this great transformation.

21. My dear countrymen and women, being a Nigerian is a blessing. It is also a great responsibility. We must make a vow that, together, we will make the Nigerian Enterprise thrive.

22. The leadership and the followership must strive to convert our vast human and natural resources into the force that leads to a greater Nigeria. The Nigeria of our dreams must be built on hard work and not on short cuts. Let me salute the Nigerian workers who build our communities, cities and country. They deserve fair rewards, and so do the women that raise our children, and the rural dwellers that grow our food.

23. The moment is right. The signs are heart-warming. We are ready to take off on the path of sustained growth and economic development. In our economic strategy, there will be appropriate policy support to the real sector of the economy, so that Small and Medium Enterprises may thrive. Nigeria is blessed with enormous natural wealth, and my Administration will continue to encourage locally owned enterprises to take advantage of our resources in growing the domestic economy. A robust private sector is vital to providing jobs for our rapidly expanding population. But this must be a collaborative effort.

24. We must form technical and financial partnerships with global businesses and organizations. We live in an age where no country can survive on its own; countries depend on each other for economic well-being. Nigeria is no different. Returns on investment in Nigeria remain among the highest in the world. We will continue to welcome sustainable investment in our economy.

25. We will push programs and policies that will benefit both local and foreign businesses, but we must emphasize mutual benefits and win-win relationships. The overall ongoing reforms in the banking and financial sectors are therefore designed to support the real sector of the economy.

26. To drive our overall economic vision, the power sector reform is at the heart of our industrialization strategy. I call on all stakeholders, to cooperate with my administration, to ensure the success of the reforms.

27. Over the next four years, attention will be focused on rebuilding our infrastructure. We will create greater access to quality education and improved health care delivery. We will pay special attention to the agricultural sector, to enable it play its role of ensuring food security and massive job creation for our people.

28. The creation of the Nigerian Sovereign Investment Authority will immensely contribute to strengthening our fiscal framework, by institutionalizing savings of our commodity-related revenues. With this mechanism in place, we will avoid the boom and bust cycles,and mitigate our exposure to oil price volatility.

29. The lesson we have learnt is that the resolution of
the Niger Delta issue is crucial for the health of the nation’s economy. In the interest of justice, equity and national unity, we shall actively promote the development of the region. I believe that peace is a necessary condition for development.

30. Fellow citizens, in every decision, I shall always place the common good before all else. The bane of corruption shall be met by the overwhelming force of our collective determination, to rid our nation of this scourge. The fight against corruption is a war in which we must all enlist, so that the limited resources of this nation will be used for the growth of our commonwealth.

31. I am confident that we have every reason to lookto the future with hope. We owe ourselves and posterity the duty of making this country respectable in the comity of nations. Nigeria, as a responsible member of the international community, will remain committed to the maintenance of global peace and security. We will continue to play an active role in the United Nations. Our role in the African Union, ECOWAS, and the Gulf of Guinea will be enhanced to ensure greater human and energy security.

32. Your Excellencies, Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a new dawn for Africa. We fought for decolonization.We will now fight for democratization. Nigeria, in partnership with the African Union, will lead the process for democracy and development in Africa. In particular, we will support the consolidation of democracy, good governance and human rights in the continent. Africa must develop its vast resources to tackle poverty and under-development.

33. Conscious of the negative effect of insecurity on growth and development, my Administration will seek collaboration at bilateral and multilateral levels, to improve our capability in combating trans-border crimes. In this regard, we will intensify our advocacy against the illicit trades in small arms and light weapons, which have become the catalyst for conflicts on the African continent. All Nigerian diplomatic missions abroad are to accord this vision of defending the dignity of humanity the highest priority.

34. My fellow countrymen and women, Nigeria is not just a land of promise; it shall be a nation where positive change will continue to take place, for the good of our people. The time for lamentation is over. This is the era of transformation. This is the time for action. But Nigeria can only be transformed if we all play our parts with commitment and sincerity. Cynicism and skepticism will not help our journey to greatness. Let us all believe in a new Nigeria. Let us work together to build a great country that we will all be proud of. This is our hour.

35. Fellow Compatriots, lift your gaze towards the horizon. Look ahead and you will see a great future that we can secure with unity, hard work and collective sacrifice.

36. Join me now as we begin the journey of transforming Nigeria.

· I will continue to fight, for your future, because I am one of you.

· I will continue to fight, for improved medical care for all our citizens.

· I will continue to fight for all citizens to have access to first class education.

· I will continue to fight for electricity to be available to all our citizens.

· I will continue to fight for an efficient and affordable public transport system for all our people.

· I will continue to fight for jobs to be created through productive partnerships.

37. You have trusted me with your mandate,and I will never, never let you down.

38. I know your pain, because I have been there. Look beyond the hardship you have endured. See a new beginning;a new direction;a new spirit.

39. Nigerians, I want you to start to dream again. What you see in your dreams, we can achieve together. I call upon all the Presidential candidates who contested with me to join hands with us as we begin the transformation of our country.

40. Let us work together; let us build together; let us bequeath a greater Nigeria to the generations to come.

41. I thank you! God bless you all! And God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Nija4Life(m): 11:38pm On May 29, 2011
goggs:

the speech

What a missed opportunity. I was hoping to see a speech that sets out an economic blueprint and strategies to implement them in the next four years. Unfortunately it was full of rhetorics about what needs doing but was lacking in details and specifics of how it could be accomplished. I have grown up to hear wonderful and well written speeches by past Nigerian leaders but in a all honesty they end up saying nothing - this one certainly falls in that category. I am trying to be hopeful for the next four years but this isn't a good start. I still have my doubts but only time will tell.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Delta007(m): 11:55pm On May 29, 2011
Nija4Life:

What a missed opportunity. I was hoping to see a speech that sets out an economic blueprint and strategies to implement them in the next four years. Unfortunately it was full of rhetorics about what needs doing but was lacking in details and specifics of how it could be accomplished. I have grown up to hear wonderful and well written speeches by past Nigerian leaders but in a all honesty they end up saying nothing - this one certainly falls in that category. I am trying to be hopeful for the next four years but this isn't a good start. I still have my doubts but only time will tell.

Economic blueprint during a swearing-in? Na wa o undecided

Nigerians are the only ones what can rescue Nigeria; no one man can do it alone. You can have your doubts, seat and do nothing, hoping that an economic blueprint speech from a messiah with transform the country or you can get your butt up and contribute your quota. It's a free world!
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Emmysteve(m): 12:05am On May 30, 2011
Guys whats the meaning of smh? Pls.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Emmysteve(m): 12:06am On May 30, 2011
Guys whats the meaning of smh? Pls.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Nobody: 12:12am On May 30, 2011
shake my head- smh
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Muktar05(m): 1:24am On May 30, 2011
Let unite WAZOBIA! Abegi
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Konnekt(m): 1:38am On May 30, 2011

Fight indeed!
Well if it will take fighting and punching to revive electricity, quality education, good and affordable medical care, security (against bloody kidnappers), etc then GEJ should fight on. Thats why we voted him. And Goodluck to Nigeria.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Nija4Life(m): 1:19pm On May 30, 2011
Delta007:

Economic blueprint during a swearing-in? Na wa o undecided

Nigerians are the only ones what can rescue Nigeria; no one man can do it alone. You can have your doubts, seat and do nothing, hoping that an economic bluepr into detailsint speech from a messiah with transform the country or you can get your butt up and contribute your quota. It's a free world!

Ofcourse he needs to set out his agenda for development, it shouldn't come as a to shock you that is what you should expect from your leaders. I am not expecting him to go into full details but at least provide a flavour of what his key policy direction will be. Well I am within my rights to have doubts based on information available to me, nothing wrong with that. I am sorry but if a man puts himself forward for leadership and gets himself the top job of the land then he should be prepared to answer some awkward questions about policies. I am actually making a contribution already by contributing to the debate on this thread which is a public forum - I expect his media/ICT aides to visit public forums like this to gauge the views of ordinary Nigerians and feedback to Mr President.  You may also want to know that I am a regular contributor to BEN TV here in the UK to discussions and debates about the future of our great nation. Maybe if you could spare some time to read my blog, you will appreciate where I am coming from:

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com/

You cannot expect good leadership if we continue to remain passive followers just hoping and wishing your leaders will get things right if you are not prepared to engage in debate and offer constructive criticisms. I will give Mr President the benefit of the doubt but the clock is already ticking and he really needs to hit the ground running. I have nothing against President Jonathan as he comes across as a good man but the future of Nigeria is far too important to be left alone to politicians.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Maitsageta(m): 11:32pm On May 30, 2011
I was really bored with the WE WILLS & I WILL. There wasn't any policy statement to sooth the minds of the suffering Nigerians.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Maitsageta(m): 11:55pm On May 30, 2011
[b]Economic blueprint during a swearing-in? Na wa o Undecided

Nigerians are the only ones what can rescue Nigeria; no one man can do it alone. You can have your doubts, seat and do nothing, hoping that an economic bluepr into detailsint speech from a messiah with transform the country or you can get your butt up and contribute your quota. It's a free world! So said DELTA007.

Why couldn't expect a blueprint, after all, two days before the Inaugural Speech, Mr. President signed a budget he had been enjoying a certain percentage of it, even before it was approved. He is enjoying a continuity,  well a continued tenure of the late Yar'aduaHe has before him, a chain of permanent secretaries, directors and the remaining officers and staff in all the ministries and parastatals.

Why then the delay? Was he waiting for the lobbing ministers?

We have been listening and analysing speeches, from fellow compatriots to fellow Nigerians. I could remember when speeches used to come, some 16 hours, from Dodan Barracks, in those rosy days, not the days of the not serious characters.

These speeches come RICH & CONCLUSIVE with set down time frames, equipped with all the logistics of implementing it. Why not now, when it is expected that something could be done to alleviate the suffering and the pathetic situation in which Nigerians have found themselves?
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by Nobody: 2:10am On May 31, 2011
Delta007:
Economic blueprint during a swearing-in? Na wa o  undecided

Nigerians are the only ones what can rescue Nigeria; no one man can do it alone. You can have your doubts, seat and do nothing, hoping that an economic blueprint speech from a messiah with transform the country or you can get your butt up and contribute your quota. It's a free world!

Why not? There has been no kind of blueprint from the man since he took office. The "I wills" and the "we wills" are beyond old. He sounds like most American republicans lol.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by mykali(m): 5:34pm On May 31, 2011
Let him get his acts straight ASAP. We need them reforms.
Re: 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread by seagreen: 4:32pm On Jun 01, 2011
i missed d inauguration, but i heard it was d bom, i pray nigerians keep d sucurity tight. and let innocent lifes feel safe in this lovely country of ours, congrats GEJ jo!! smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Want Power, Good Roads, Good Schools And Good Homes - GEJ / University Of Ibadan Students Preparing For Fuel Subsidy Protest ? / Terrorism: IG Puts Two Senators, Ex-gov Under Watch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.