Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,659 members, 7,827,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Human Resource Professionals: - Career (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Human Resource Professionals: (332868 Views)

How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? / Human Resource Management In Canada / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (91) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by twaintoy(f): 6:22pm On Oct 19, 2015
Eddodoh:
@Londoncool, u r very correct! I currently work as a Call Center Agent and my previous jobs demonstrate Customer Service experience. I am currently a Student Member of CIPM.

Last week I attended an interview for d position of HR Assistant though everythin went fine but d interviewer keep reminding me dat i do not have relevant HR experience.

Presently, I got a HR Volunteer position with an NGO and another with a Human Resources firm on part-time basis, other companies I contacted earlier promised to reach me as soon as there's opportunity for Volunteering and I believe in few months time I will b a force to reckon wit in d HR field.

For anyone seeking career in HR, volunteering is your stepping stone.
How do you get these volunteering jobs?
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by LondonCool(m): 6:33pm On Oct 19, 2015
sisisioge:

Thanks for your response cool. CV appears alright though I wouldnt mind a review. I haven't really test driven it though I have been working for 3+ years. I want a job in administrative capacity having worked in supply chain, operations and now customer care. I presently work with one of the telecoms and really wish to move to the next height. Any ideas?

What kind of career path do you desire to pursue? Administrative roles are only stepping stones. The kind of Admin role you are looking for depends on the organisational hierarchy in place.

You may be looking for Admin Officer, Admin Executive, Senior Admin Officer, Admin Manager job titles, but their level of seniority or job description may differ from place to place deoending on the degree of complexity required to carry out the role.

Have you considered adding something extra to your Admin skills like Project Management, Systems Administration, Accounting, Customer Service skills, etc ?

Get your CV reviewed by a friend or peer, or blindly send them to companies and once you get a refusal response contact them to find out what aspects of your CV they had issues with.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by LondonCool(m): 6:40pm On Oct 19, 2015
twaintoy:

You need to apply to organisations that
1) have vacancies for voluntary roles
2) do not have such vacancies but indicate your willingness to add value to their HR processes by volunteering your skills on a pro bono basis. This could be your local church, library, private school, charity, private sector companies, etc. This way you are creating the vacancy for yourself through your resilience and persistence.

2 Likes

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by sonssyo: 6:53pm On Oct 19, 2015
hello peeps,please who can assist me with hr software's sample,kindly ,mail kritiqueo@gmail.com.thanks all
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by sisisioge: 6:56pm On Oct 19, 2015
LondonCool:

What kind of career path do you desire to pursue? Administrative roles are only stepping stones. The kind of Admin role you are looking for depends on the organisational hierarchy in place.

You may be looking for Admin Officer, Admin Executive, Senior Admin Officer, Admin Manager job titles, but their level of seniority or job description may differ from place to place deoending on the degree of complexity required to carry out the role.

Have you considered adding something extra to your Admin skills like Project Management, Systems Administration, Accounting, Customer Service skills, etc ?

Get your CV reviewed by a friend or peer, or blindly send them to companies and once you get a refusal response contact them to find out what aspects of your CV they had issues with.

Whew! Sounds indept...thanks. I was so interested in HR cos my first degree was related, I got CIPM and then majored in it with my MBA but haven't had the opportunity to work in HR capacity. The volunteer HR jobs aren't anywhere in the horizon for me now cos I need my time and money. I will take your advice and see what happens...thanks a ton.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by wolestix: 7:16pm On Oct 19, 2015
Hello House'
Pls I need a Job as an HR Officer in IBADAN, Am a graduate of Public Administration(Bsc), I have a little work experience on human relation(NYSC). Am presently a student member of CIPM(PE2). I would like to have a work experience in the field of human Resources. Am reachable on this mail for timanjorin@yahoo.com. Thank you and God Bless U.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by LondonCool(m): 9:23pm On Oct 19, 2015
sisisioge:

Whew! Sounds indept...thanks. I was so interested in HR cos my first degree was related, I got CIPM and then majored in it with my MBA but haven't had the opportunity to work in HR capacity. The volunteer HR jobs aren't anywhere in the horizon for me now cos I need my time and money. I will take your advice and see what happens...thanks a ton.

My friend, you can volunteer on a weekend or once a month, it doesn't have to be on a 9-to-5 full time basis.

Second,you may need to reinvent yourself, register a business name with the CAC and package yourself as an HR Consultant in the area of your expertise. That's how you break through in this rat race. With all your qualifications and experience what HR problems are you capable of solving? Use your business and let potential clients know what HR problems you can solve for them. For instance, can you provide vetted cleaning staff for organisations? Can you supply temporary Teachers to schools?

Use your company/business to provide your HR experience for your next HR role. Read up and make sure you have the substance to back up your claimed HR experience.

1 Like

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Eddodoh(m): 9:24pm On Oct 19, 2015
LondonCool:

That's quite impressive. Once you've been able to acquire a certain depth of proven experience from your volunteering/part time roles you should be ready to climb up the HR ladder with confidence by applying for permanent HR roles .
I believe God will crown my effort wit success. I am very optimistic. Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by sisisioge: 9:31pm On Oct 19, 2015
LondonCool:

My friend, you can volunteer on a weekend or once a month, it doesn't have to be on a 9-to-5 full time basis.

Second,you may need to reinvent yourself, register a business name with the CAC and package yourself as an HR Consultant in the area of your expertise. That's how you break through in this rat race. With all your qualifications and experience what HR problems are you capable of solving? Use your business and let potential clients know what HR problems you can solve for them. For instance, can you provide vetted cleaning staff for organisations? Can you supply temporary Teachers to schools?

Use your company/business to provide your HR experience for your next HR role. Read up and make sure you have the substance to back up your claimed HR experience.

Hmmmm...thanks for the thought.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by LondonCool(m): 9:42pm On Oct 19, 2015
wolestix:
Hello House'
Pls I need a Job as an HR Officer in IBADAN, Am a graduate of Public Administration(Bsc), I have a little work experience on human relation(NYSC). Am presently a student member of CIPM(PE2). I would like to have a work experience in the field of human Resources. Am reachable on this mail for timanjorin@yahoo.com. Thank you and God Bless U.

If I were you I'd write down a shortlist of all the public and private sector organisations in Ibadan and target them by sending them my CV. To be employed as an HR Officer you would be expected to have a couple of years of demonstrable HR working experience.

I studied Public Admin for my first degree just like you and I registered with the CIPM as a Youth Corper just like you too ( in 1992), so you are on the right path. You just need to be focused and persevere with your HR goal.

1 Like

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Eddodoh(m): 9:43pm On Oct 19, 2015
twaintoy:
Most of the volunteering position I got was through cold calling. I Google names of companies and HR firms within my locality. I get their email ID and contact number. I called them to inform them of my desire to volunteer in their HR department. Fortunately, I do get positive response from them.

A C.E.O & Founder of a HR firm had to call me for a meeting & he said dat anytime his company has project, I will b contacted to work wit his team.

If you see d way i package & restructure my CV & LinkedIn profile. You will think I have bin into HR for 20 yrs. I usually get profile views by top HR professionals & some of them do counsel me or recommend some training opportunity to me.

2 Likes

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by twaintoy(f): 9:50pm On Oct 19, 2015
Eddodoh:

Most of the volunteering position I got was through cold calling. I Google names of companies and HR firms within my locality. I get their email ID and contact number. I called them to inform them of my desire to volunteer in their HR department. Fortunately, I do get positive response from them.

A C.E.O & Founder of a HR firm had to call me for a meeting & he said dat anytime his company has project, I will b contacted to work wit his team.

If you see d way i package & restructure my CV & LinkedIn profile. You will think I have bin into HR for 20 yrs. I usually get profile views by top HR professionals & some of them do counsel me or recommend some training opportunity to me.
That's good. Will try it out. Thanks..
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Nobody: 5:50am On Oct 20, 2015
Hi...am happy to be part of this wonderful cream of intelectuals. I just enroled in an Msc in Strategic HRM at the Pan African Institute For Development West Africa. I would be happy if you people assist me with any infos relevant to my field. My first semester courses are;

1. Advanced Human Resource Management Policies and Strategies.

2. Industrial psychology and Labour relations.

3. Labour Law and regulations in the Anglophone and Francophone Zones.

4. Leadership ad Organizational Behaviour.

5. Trainning and Development

The rest of the courses are the schools compulsory course.

Feel free to help me with any stuff on my email...Mbonibryan@gmail.com
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by LondonCool(m): 10:48am On Oct 20, 2015
Donbryan:
Hi...am happy to be part of this wonderful cream of intelectuals. I just enroled in an Msc in Strategic HRM at the Pan African Institute For Development West Africa. I would be happy if you people assist me with any infos relevant to my field. My first semester courses are;

1. Advanced Human Resource Management Policies and Strategies.

2. Industrial psychology and Labour relations.

3. Labour Law and regulations in the Anglophone and Francophone Zones.

4. Leadership ad Organizational Behaviour.

5. Trainning and Development

The rest of the courses are the schools compulsory course.

Feel free to help me with any stuff on my email...Mbonibryan@gmail.com

Donbryan,

It's good to know that you are about to embark on your Msc degree in Strategic HRM. My concern is about the pedigree of the school where you are getting your qualifications from. Which University is accreditating your degree? What is the quality of the academic staff in the HR department? How many Professors, Readers, Senior Lecturers, Lecturers, Research Associates/Fellows are there?

Your course modules need to reflect the body of knowledge required to constitute a Strategic HRM masters degree. I would have added more global content or curricula, although it does reflect the areas of study for PAID-WA.

If you are given lots of reputable African companies as case-studies to diagnose in the area of change management, organisation design/culture, global leadership, strategic corporate planning, etc, as part of your learning you would be able to sharpen your strategic acumen.

As a starting point, if I wake you up from sleep and ask you 'What is Strategy?', you should be able to tell me the answer. ( If you are in doubt Google the article 'What is Strategy' by Prof Michael Porter)

Your access to recent HR journals, research work and text books is very crucial. HR is a fast changing subject and any secondary research material more than 5 years can be deemed as obsolete in many traditional University settings.

I work as an HR Consultant for a UK University so I deal with a lot of degree validation issues when it comes to recruitment. Where and what you study is very important. Normally, I should be able to go to Google and access the details of your school, department, research activity before offering you a job.

2 Likes

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 20, 2015
I saw this vacancy Ad on cipm facebook page. Just thought I should share. Good luck.

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by LondonCool(m): 4:31pm On Oct 20, 2015
That is a very poorly written Job Description and Person Specification by the apex HR body. Practice what you preach.

3 Likes

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by spankyflex(m): 11:51am On Oct 21, 2015
Eddodoh:
@Londoncool, u r very correct! I currently work as a Call Center Agent and my previous jobs demonstrate Customer Service experience. I am currently a Student Member of CIPM.

Last week I attended an interview for d position of HR Assistant though everythin went fine but d interviewer keep reminding me dat i do not have relevant HR experience.

Presently, I got a HR Volunteer position with an NGO and another with a Human Resources firm on part-time basis, other companies I contacted earlier promised to reach me as soon as there's opportunity for Volunteering and I believe in few months time I will b a force to reckon wit in d HR field.

For anyone seeking career in HR, volunteering is your stepping stone.
pls i would like info on current openings for volunteering,really need to acquire experience.Thanks
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Eddodoh(m): 8:52pm On Oct 21, 2015
spankyflex:
pls i would like info on current openings for volunteering,really need to acquire experience.Thanks
Refer to my previous recommendation on ways to get volunteering position because ur location might be different from mine. U nid to source for d position within ur location to make it easier for u as VOLUNTEERING means NO PAY.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by bory: 9:35am On Oct 22, 2015
House, I am a graduate. I want to write cipm. How do I register. Am I to pay any fee.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by ITAB: 4:32pm On Oct 22, 2015
Go to www.cipmnigeria.org
bory:
House, I am a graduate. I want to write cipm. How do I register. Am I to pay any fee.

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by blanquecheque: 12:25am On Oct 23, 2015
belzieee:
good day please who knows how a fresh graduate of hrm can get experience? i stay in ph

1) Keep your eyes and ears wide open for HR or management trainee or even HR Officer roles.
2) Cold call companies for volunteering
3) Cold call for internship
4) Join your local PPCA and network there, esp with senior members. You could be active and impress there
5) Well, the brick and mortar approach: apply, apply, apply
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by blanquecheque: 12:45am On Oct 23, 2015
teetee2:
@yemmight, pls after qualified as ACIPM, what next. Though im not fully in HR department but I need more knowledge on HR for changing of job. thanks

Shuo! What next? I guess you went for the programme for a purpose. And would that not be to simply go for opportunities in HR?

And if you mean continuing professional development, CIPM got you covered. Continue attending as many MCPE's as you can as well as other L&grin courses around you.

Good luck!
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by blanquecheque: 12:57am On Oct 23, 2015
teetee2:
@yemmight, pls after qualified as ACIPM, what next. Though im not fully in HR department but I need more knowledge on HR for changing of job. thanks

More knowledge? Attend CIPM's MCPE's. You can also look around you for L&grin courses now; many consulting firms around.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by blanquecheque: 1:08am On Oct 23, 2015
@ teetee2
L and D there, not a "grinny" smiley. Think I'll need a course first to master this nairaland
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by blanquecheque: 1:19am On Oct 23, 2015
Eddodoh:
Does age really matter in the category of exams to write? I learnt persons above 30yrs will start from Foundation 1.

Do they really enforce dis rule even when u meet other requirements?

Where did you hear this? It's not true. Some of my students are well over forty. And of course, I have a personal experience too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by blanquecheque: 1:24am On Oct 23, 2015
adebusola09:
Good evening. Pls where can I do human resource management training in Lagos

There are many. What area of HR are you looking at?
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by blanquecheque: 1:38am On Oct 23, 2015
sisisioge:
Hello everyone, pls could you kindly recommend good recruitment agencies here on the mainland? I want to start hawking my CV again cos I need to change jobs. Thanks.
grin
sisisioge:
Hello everyone, pls could you kindly recommend good recruitment agencies here on the mainland? I want to start hawking my CV again cos I need to change jobs. Thanks.

Lol. "Hawking" your CV. I like that.

2 Likes

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by blanquecheque: 1:50am On Oct 23, 2015
sonssyo:
hello peeps,please who can assist me with hr software's sample,kindly ,mail kritiqueo@gmail.com.thanks all
Can an HR software be sent via email? Why don't you call up some of the vendors. Talent base can do a demo with you. 08183377264, info@talentbase.ng. SystemSpecs too
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by faceles: 9:30pm On Nov 01, 2015
Good evening everyone, so happy to stumble on dis thread. I have a legal background but won't mind starting a career in HR. Any advice on how to go about it esp as I'm considering a masters programme. Thanks in advance
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by LondonCool(m): 4:15pm On Nov 03, 2015
faceless
Good evening everyone, so happy to stumble on dis thread. I have a legal background but won't mind starting a career in HR. Any advice on how to go about it esp as I'm considering a masters programme. Thanks in advance

faceless,

Check the advice below

shegz4law

Hello everybody.. I'm a recently qualified Lawyer who is passionate about starting a carrier in Human Resource Management... I'm thinking of volunteerimg to gain experience in the field.. I need advice on how to accomplish this... Thanks

LondonCool:

shegz4law,

Volunteering is the pragmatic option for you to take in order to cross over to the HR sector for practical experience. However, there is still a body of theoretical HR knowledge that you need to acquire in order to demonstrate proficiency as an HR practitioner. This means you either need to enroll with the CIPMN as a student or go for a Masters degree in HRM (and apply for some exemptions from the CIPMN).

Your knowledge of Employment Law/Labour Law ( if at all you did the elective module) can come in very handy in the area of Employee Relations at the workplace. The problem is that you need to work your way up the HR career ladder from a foundation entry point or brag your way through at a higher level.

Local churches or charities are good places to volunteer. You can offer to update their HR policies or Staff Handbooks for starters, or offer to overhaul their HR staff record filing system. We all started our HR careers from filing HR records.

1 Like

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by 2plus2: 6:07pm On Nov 03, 2015
LondonCool:

faceless,

Check the advice below

shegz4law

Hello everybody.. I'm a recently qualified Lawyer who is passionate about starting a carrier in Human Resource Management... I'm thinking of volunteerimg to gain experience in the field.. I need advice on how to accomplish this... Thanks

This tread is awesome. HR is my dream career but I lack the requisite knowledge or qualification. I studied History and International studies. Nevertheless I'm determined to break through. Having read some of the advices and suggestions provided here I've gained more insight. However, any more useful information as regards my degree in relation to HR is warmly welcomed.
Thanks for the tips.

1 Like

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Consultville(m): 7:05pm On Nov 03, 2015

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (91) (Reply)

Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! / Salary In The Nigerian Army? / Any HSE Professionals In The House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.