Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,535 members, 7,819,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (51373 Views)

Poll: This is a serious matter. Whose side are you on?

Nigeria: 80% (294 votes)
Oprah Winfrey: 19% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Apc Gov Are Corrupt: Says Who????? / Every Nigerian Billionaire Is Corrupt, Says Former Minister Akinyemi / All Nigerian Military Head Of State Are Corrupt Including General Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by dblock(m): 10:13am On Jul 27, 2007
And to the 14 Morons that condoned the prejudice of Oprah.

You are nothing but traitors.

Get the F**K out of Nigeria, and go and live in Chicago in Oprah's ass
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Echidime(m): 10:14am On Jul 27, 2007
I think our 419 guys should find a way and dry her up,so sha will know. Or some one can pay Ben ladin to target her when next he is going to carry out his terrorist acts on the American soil.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by dblock(m): 10:17am On Jul 27, 2007
Well the good thing about being a corrupt Nigerian, is; at least we can reproduce. grin

The transgendered is more infertile than the Sahara
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by hinduism(f): 10:26am On Jul 27, 2007
How can Nigerians be worried about what a little girl like Oprah said about nigeria? Is she GOD the supreme Judge? I think her little money has gotten into her head.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by hinduism(f): 10:27am On Jul 27, 2007
@dblock:You called her,The transgendered is more infertile than the Sahara: Thats a good one. I never heard oprah had a child, is she really infertile?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by angel101(f): 10:37am On Jul 27, 2007
I cant believe 14 people on this forum actually support the idiocy oprah has shown! shocked
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by AdamuW: 10:48am On Jul 27, 2007
No one still has provided a link that either shows Oprah saying this or at least has a direct quote of her saying 'ALL nigerians are fraudsters'. So it seems like people are getting incredibly angry over hearsay and rumour. If all her program said was that there are some Nigerian fraudsters then what's new? It's nothing that hasn't been said by other Nigerians in this forum already.

On a general point what I think we can take issue with is lazy international jounalism and media practices. Basically what I mean is that when the Western media organisations want to talk about corruption they immediately point to Nigeria as a prime example. Of course corruption goes on in all countries but we are currently an easy media target.The same as when they talk about terrorism, they point to Al quaeda, when they want to talk about famine they use Ethiopia. It's media shorthand.

As far as I am concerned, to make the world see us in a different light we have to start here at home. When we as a country are a force to be reckoned with globally then the rest of the world will see us in that way and be more respectful. Japan did it decades ago, China and India are now taking the lead. Those countries are far from perfect but they are taking giant strides in progression. I hope we will do it eventually. It will be a hard long road. We have the talent in abundance to get there. The reasons stopping us have been talked about many times over in this forum so I won't go there.

As for Oprah, never really liked her programs etc. Have no time for them. It's nothing personal against her. Whatever anyone thinks about her you have to acknowledge the achievements made as a black woman in America and to sustain it over decades. That is not easy. But I don't depend on her to know what is going on in my country. Shouting all kinds of insults at her without proper evidence doesn't really solve anything.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by PawPaw3(m): 10:53am On Jul 27, 2007
We are very corrupt chikena. Oprah was right and if we don't want to be seen as corrupt, be prepared to protest against this Nigerian phenomenon. For years Nigeria was the most corrupt country on earth, last time I checked it was not Oprah that made the study.
The only country to rival us in corruption is Bangladesh and rumour has it that some Nigerians were bribed hence Bangladesh took the title that rightly belongs to us.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by angel101(f): 10:54am On Jul 27, 2007
Bulgarians are sellin 2yr olds for 50k Euros. they havent been called 'ALL CORRUPT'
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ebos(m): 10:55am On Jul 27, 2007
You guys should not worry about Oprah, we are putting things in order to reply her directly to her web sites. All these responses will get to her. Is no play. I personally have made her case known to some responsible Nigerians.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by maki(f): 11:01am On Jul 27, 2007
@ebos
please do reply her and tell her i said she should go and look for her father and tell him that
and wait for his reply
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by trendy(f): 11:04am On Jul 27, 2007
it still beats me though
the way she acts like some saint of a woman
and help poor people, u will think she have a heart of God
and is not All self righteous, too bad undecided
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 27, 2007
today, i saw at the back of a week old edition of tell magazine, an article on racisim against blacks.among other things, it cited the so called interview of oprah with tommy hilfiger, in which he was alleged to have said, 'my products are not for blacks'.we all know what that was , an urban legend.

i have googled 'oprah on nigeria' on the net, and have come up with nothing.

y'all should not be so quick to assume that its true because its in the punch. if tell, a magazine that has won the award of magazine of the year, can include discredited urban legends in its articles, i don't see why punch(incidentally, alos an award winning daily) cannot do the same thing.

let someone provide an alternative link to these so called comments pls.

actual sources, not word of mouth(i know people who 'saw' the oprah /tommy hilfiger interview)
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by sprezatura(m): 11:31am On Jul 27, 2007
Hey Militia, just saw the youtube rubbish, i don't deny shit don't happen in Nigeria, matter of fact i paid for my yellow fever vaccine card at the airport before leaving and i am too damn sure that at sometime in your life you have come into Nigeria with some contraband n bribed your way through it, my point is don't sound like the Oprah statement don't affect you, no body is actually sure she said this recent statement but she said somthing similar on the show that was aired on 27th april. Nigeria is no less corrupt,You find ballot boxes in the river in Nigeria, you have the same in america. Stand up for your country if it really is. But guess your green card matters to you most. Its just a matter of time for Alqaeda to level you guys.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by angel101(f): 11:32am On Jul 27, 2007
oyb:

today, i saw at the back of a week old edition of tell magazine, an article on racisim against blacks.among other things, it cited the so called interview of oprah with tommy hilfiger, in which he was alleged to have said, 'my products are not for blacks'.we all know what that was , an urban legend.

i have googled 'oprah on nigeria' on the net, and have come up with nothing.

y'all should not be so quick to assume that its true because its in the punch. if tell, a magazine that has won the award of magazine of the year, can include discredited urban legends in its articles, i don't see why punch(incidentally, alos an award winning daily) cannot do the same thing.

let someone provide an alternative link to these so called comments please.

actual sources, not word of mouth(i know people who 'saw' the oprah /tommy hilfiger interview)

I dont understand this post but i did see the oprah interview with tommy hilfiger and he didnt deny the alleged statement. oprah then walked him out of the show!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by JustGood(m): 11:34am On Jul 27, 2007
"all Nigerians- regardless of their level of education- are corrupt"

Oprah wey talk this no get pikin for this world. make she take her fat a*se go find better life for herself.

I am not corrupt and I am a Nigerian!!!

If she has a right to make such stupid sweeping statements because Americans worship her, I also have a right to say that OPRAH WINFREY IS AN IDIOT.

OPRAH WINFREY IS A DISGUSTING BARREN IDIOT
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by forestxxx(m): 11:42am On Jul 27, 2007
i have carefully digested all what everyone on this forum as posted on the OPRAH WINFREY  thing and i  have every reason to believe that its a campaign against oprah winfrey credibilty and status for one i would never in my mind doubt that Oprah would say such a thing thats is why i decided to get to the root of the matter i visited her website and discovered that she only did a show on scams and you know definately nigerians would be involved and there is PROOF that  she didnt  make that statemnet that was earlier instigated my PUNCH AND TELL tabloids  here is a link to the page on her website you would find these statement at the last part of the page

STATEMENT[b]-"I know we're going to get a letter from somebody saying that Nigeria has a lot of wonderful people. You don't have to send the letter," Oprah says. "We already know that. We're just talking about this particular scam that's going on. We're not talking about the entire country and everybody in the country."

HERE IS THE LINK-http://www2.oprah.com/money/credit/200704/money_20070413_284_117.jhtml
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 11:54am On Jul 27, 2007
I cant believe people have gone this far becuz of a Nigerian newspaper. You guys should be more than ashamed or yourself.

Next time verify your sources before you start a campaign to tarnish the image of a black icon.

There exist no proof whatsoeva that Oprah said jack! angry

Except Nigerian ( or any tabloids for that matter ) papers are solid evidences for you to base your ridiculous claims on.

Meanwhile, if anyone says - All Nigerians are corrupt - it is merely a generalization / exaggeration and we all do it for example - ALL men are liars, ALL women are cheats, Calabar girls are sex bombs etc. We certainly in no way mean that the statement hold true for everyone in the set of people mentioned.

So drop this trash and close the thread.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by dejavu009: 12:06pm On Jul 27, 2007
well am sure oprah is angry because a nigerian"Dangote" said he's richer than her, she is kind of responding to dangote statement in "grande style"
can't u see she mention the 'no matter the level of thier ed ucation"
i pity her, she thought she's is the most richest blackperson in the universe, am sure she is surprise to hear that another black man,a nigerian is richer than her that's is why she make that response to defend herself
Am a Nigerian, And am Proud to be one, Despite the nonsense ve encounter in heartrow,Am still pround of my Nigerian Passport.
make them talk"Nigerian re corrupt: anyhow na we still get Money pass,make person tell oprah make she no vex more the NEXT RICHEST PERSON IN THE WORLD IS GOING TO BE A NIGERIAN
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by simplyme3(f): 12:08pm On Jul 27, 2007
Daughter of a slave.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by smile4kenn(m): 12:17pm On Jul 27, 2007

Brian says very intelligent and well-educated American people have fallen for these scams. Some are motivated by greed, while others are truly trying to help those in need.

I am happy that they agree to that fact. Its only greed that can make them fall for scam.

http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200704/tows_past_20070413.jhtml
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by charlione(m): 12:19pm On Jul 27, 2007
JustGood:

OPRAH WINFREY IS A DISGUSTING BARREN IDIOT
 wow.good one there
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 12:20pm On Jul 27, 2007
dejavu

Do you really think Dangote with his ill gotten wealth is anything close to being in Oprah shoes - financially, image, popularity and otherwise?

Wake up from your delusion.

simply_me:

Daughter of a slave.

But now the 2nd most wealthiest woman in hollywood and on the top ten or thereabouts in the world. Your ancestors were slaves too, need i remind you but the world will not remember them or you. The world knows and respects Oprah Winfrey for her many humanitarian deeds.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by smile4kenn(m): 12:23pm On Jul 27, 2007
somze:

dejavu

But now the 2nd most wealthiest woman in hollywood and on the top ten or thereabouts in the world. Your ancestors were slaves too, need i remind you but the world will not remember them or you. The world knows and respects Oprah Winfrey for her many humanitarian deeds.

I think you are saying rubbish, Does that give her the guts to say all nigerians are corrupt?

I cant use my fame and fortune to insult 150 million people
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 12:29pm On Jul 27, 2007
smile4kenn:

I think you are saying rubbish, Does that give her the guts to say all nigerians are corrupt?

I can't use my fame and fortune to insult 150 million people

I've dealt with this earlier, There exist no proof whatsoeva that she said this things except in our Nigerian papers AKA punch - now do you consider this as a good evidence?

Even better papers like Thisday / Guardian spew lies sometimes ( i have proof) how much more punch.

Again if anyone says All . . . it is simple a generalisation and does not mean the exact thing. Have you never used such words like Lawyers are Liars or Politicians are demons before? Did you mean that ALL of them were actually what you claim? Please be reasonable.

Thank you.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by fesse(f): 12:37pm On Jul 27, 2007
PLS WHICH COLOM OF THE PUNCH, AM WITH THE PUNCH ONLINE HERE IN MY OFFICE.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by smile4kenn(m): 12:41pm On Jul 27, 2007
fesse:

PLS WHICH COLOM OF THE PUNCH, AM WITH THE PUNCH ONLINE HERE IN MY OFFICE.

you mean u work with punch online?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by BABEELOVE(f): 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2007
I am not surprised about some of the things being wriitten here!  You guys are truly Nigerians!!!!! embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Even if Oprah said this or that---resorting to insults is never the best way to settle any grievance.  The laughable part is that most of you call yourselves part-time[b]"christians"[/b] and my God just read what some of you are writing here.  I wonder sometimes if there is any hope for us? embarassed  What Oprah said or did not say pales in comparism to what some of you are writing here.  It is truly disgraceful!!!! Getting verbally abusive and emotionally worked up for nothing will not solve the problem.

@Militia
You are too funny!!!! grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by kilasos(f): 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2007
i am not sure of the article in punch,but i watched the oprah winfrey show where she exposed scammers,Nigerian scammers were really highlighted becasuse alot of americans,old and young fell for it.
i was truly ashamed of this as a nigerian and had to call all my nigerian friends to watch it.oprah also highlighted at the end of the show that she knows a lot of nigerians and they are not all corrupt.a few eggs they say spoil the bunch.
She also highlighted that she did nt want to receive any letters from nigerians trying to defend their integrity,she know it is just a few.
But come to think of it as a nigerian,the average nigerian is greedy and wants to get the goods things in life and dont want to work for it.
in london,the amount of yahoo boys are increasing and it is fast becoming a norm.
someone was trying to entice my lil bro of 16,i was lucky enough to notice because he asked me about it.
i really feel embarrassed sometimes to use my nigerian passport for identification because of the stereotype associated with them.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Tayotere(m): 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2007
I still dont want to beleive Oprah actually made that statement, because if she did the Nigerian government wouldn't have taken it lightly with her. The statement is nothing but a national insult and believe me our govenment is not that "gentle".

Remember the CNN documentary staged by Jeff Koinange the former africa correspondent with CNN about some kidnapped phillipines. Obasanjo, Iweke and Co didnt find it funny and they ensured that Koinange was removed and CNN apologised.

I am very sure Oprah wuld not dare make such a careless statement.

We understand that some of us are fraudulent and not all of us. and this is everywhere not only Naija even the US is not left out.

The fact that there are 10 bad eggs in a basket of 500 eggs doesnt make all the eggs bad.

wink
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 1:00pm On Jul 27, 2007
Finally we have brilliant peeps on the thread grin

BABEELOVE, kilasos, Tayotere, forest_xxx well said.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by sniperwolf(m): 1:05pm On Jul 27, 2007
Bleep Oprah is it because of the Forbes and Dangote, that's why she has to make such a statement about Nigeria. tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply)

Governor Danbaba Suntai Of Taraba State Crashes Private Jet / Obidients Hold Wheelbarrow Rally In The North / Osogbo To Determine Osun Governor As PDP Leads After 29 Local Govts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.