Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,558 members, 7,820,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (51374 Views)

Poll: This is a serious matter. Whose side are you on?

Nigeria: 80% (294 votes)
Oprah Winfrey: 19% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Apc Gov Are Corrupt: Says Who????? / Every Nigerian Billionaire Is Corrupt, Says Former Minister Akinyemi / All Nigerian Military Head Of State Are Corrupt Including General Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by jmichael90: 1:29am On Jul 27, 2007
Oprah Winfrey must be craczy,yes nigeria corruption is growing at an alarming rate,in fact i can agree that we are the most corrupt country in the world but it is stupidity to say all nigerians are corrupt,we still have many honest,sincere,God fearing nigerians that live their lives without corruption.All nigerians are not corrupt stupid corrupt woman get that in your head embarassed.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by chiogo(f): 1:47am On Jul 27, 2007
phewwww, am so sick of all these comments they make everyday. she shld know better, for real. Maybe they don't know but everythin' (good or bad), naija learnt from them. civilization was there first. They know all about d hustlin' thin'. Infact, they invented "thiefery" or robbery. so, she needs to shut it down, she's black and shld know better. anywayz, i no blame her. Because she's rich, she wants to run her mouth just like her fellow, diddy. They really need to be quiet 'cause they sound so ignorant.That's not my biggest problem, anywayz, she's there sayin' her own, white people still look down on them (black folks) even in their so-called country.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by comechop(m): 1:58am On Jul 27, 2007
If you are angry at Oprah, express your views here to her. LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!
http://www.oprah.com/email/tows/email_tows_main.jhtml
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by easimoni(m): 3:14am On Jul 27, 2007
@ All,

You guys are wasting your breath. I watched the show and Oprah said nothing of the sort. She did admit that most of the scammers were Nigerian but she also featured scammers from the US. She also said "I know not all Nigerians are into this kind of fraud, I know there are some wonderful and hard-working Nigerians, so save your emails"

Whoever wrote that letter to the Punch did not see the show. I did and still have it recorded on my DVR.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 3:25am On Jul 27, 2007
hey guys chill o, but oprah once said she was a nigerian cheesy
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by 9ja4eva: 3:51am On Jul 27, 2007
Nice psyche

easimoni:

@ All,

You guys are wasting your breath. I watched the show and Oprah said nothing of the sort. She did admit that most of the scammers were Nigerian but she also featured scammers from the US. She also said "I know not all Nigerians are into this kind of fraud, I know there are some wonderful and hard-working Nigerians, so save your emails"

Whoever wrote that letter to the Punch did not see the show. I did and still have it recorded on my DVR.

Most people said she sd dt.U fit upload the thing for youtube?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Pain(m): 3:56am On Jul 27, 2007
I Await The Coming Of The Black Messiah. Spoken Of In The Book of Prophet Bob Marley.

Then The "Captives of Nubia" Shall Be Free. Marley: 7:17 cry cry cry

Jokes Apart. We Have Descended So Low, That The Demarcation Between Whats Proper & Improper Is So Thin That Its Hard To Differentiate.

I Know This Because Most Nijja Brethren Ive Interfaced With Are So Cunning And Not Straight Forward.

The Truth Be told.Thats The Bitter Pill. I Know Many Would Disagree.

As For Oprah Forget Her. She's Just One Of Those Empty Daughters Of Nubia. She Puts Up A Show To Hide Her Inner Pain, But The Pain Just Wont Go!

Even The Attempts At Covering It Up Via Make Up Isnt Working!! I See Clear "Shine Eyez" shocked embarassed

Sometimes I Find It Hard To Categorize Her Ideology. Today Shes For This. Tomorrow Another. I Guess She Has Her Roots in the Bight of Bonny.

Maybe the Discovery That She Isn't From Johannesburg but From Niger Area Pains Her. "Is It Pain You" tongue tongue embarassed

Its The Bight of Bonny Thing. The Curse of Calypso!!.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by grafikdon: 4:03am On Jul 27, 2007
@Tanasha, nobody here is telling you Nigeria is the spotless nation in the world. It is unfortunate that bad news travels faster than good news and sometimes our people can be obnoxious which mean 1 Nigerian scammer equals 100 American work-from-home-get-rich-quick scammer. Yes, Nigeria is as good as any nation.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by 9ja4eva: 4:08am On Jul 27, 2007
Yu dey mind dem.Everybad thing is NIGERIA bt dey tend to forget d ills of the American society where people kill and do stuff anyhow.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by grafikdon: 4:16am On Jul 27, 2007
Sweet T=topic=68514.msg1330893#msg1330893 date=1185503131:

There were some ibo boys and a couple of Nigerian doctors were involved in medicare fraud.

Well well well. . . aren't you the same guy that allegedly provided a 'decoy' voicemail to trap 419 ers and allegedly 'discovered' 100% of the scammers who left their voicemail had the 'Anambra' accent? Pardon me if you're not the guy but your post is exactly the type of putrid derogatory concepts spewing from that guy's mind/fingers.

Wonders shall never end! And we are all 'reasonable' 'intelligent' human beings!

Before you kill a dog,you give it a bad name. . .

Back to topic:

I assume Oprah lacks the level of stupidity to even associate herself with an ignorant comment like that. I am no fan of Oprah (And will never be) but I don't see her stooping to the level of the ultimate slowpoke.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by grafikdon: 4:22am On Jul 27, 2007
@9ija4eva. . .na so e be o. People (especially those who are not even living in Naija) think they are the custodian of the Nigerian way of life and can slap their buttocks on their chairs while narrating (with authority) the situation 'on the ground'. angry You can bash Naija all you want. . .wasn't that the case with Taiwan many years ago? Guess who's laughing now. I only hope the lutocrats and the violent ignoramus religious zealots we have in Naija will allow us get the the height that we deserve so that Oprah (not because her alleged statement o. . . methinks she doesn'tl ike Naija) and her people will eat eat our shorts, cheesy
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Pain(m): 4:25am On Jul 27, 2007
grafikdon:

Back to topic:

I assume Oprah lacks the level of stupidity to even associate herself with an ignorant comment like that. I am no fan of Oprah (And will never be) but I don't see her stooping to the level of the ultimate slowpoke.

Because Shes The Ultimate What?? Please Enuff of All This Celebration of "Celebritneys". Is She So Perfect?

Stooping down to------------I guess she so "High" Oprah "moost hi"
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by grafikdon: 4:56am On Jul 27, 2007
@Pain, dude read my post carefully. I did not in anyway elevate Oprah, I actually don't give a damn about Oprah, never cared about her shows and probably never will. I assumed she'd know better than to make such an appalling statement. Surely she's not that dumb. That was my opinion,dude. wasn't celebrating nobody. smiley
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by adconline(m): 5:32am On Jul 27, 2007
where is CNN's link on this story please? Back it up fellas
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by 9ja4eva: 6:36am On Jul 27, 2007
Na punch i read am oh

grafikdon:

@9ija4eva. . .na so e be o. People (especially those who are not even living in Naija) think they are the custodian of the Nigerian way of life and can slap their buttocks on their chairs while narrating (with authority) the situation 'on the ground'. angry You can bash Naija all you want. . .wasn't that the case with Taiwan many years ago? Guess who's laughing now. I only hope the lutocrats and the violent ignoramus religious zealots we have in Naija will allow us get the the height that we deserve so that Oprah (not because her alleged statement o. . . methinks she doesn'tl ike Naija) and her people will eat eat our shorts, cheesy

Yeah i feel u mehn.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Everbright(f): 7:19am On Jul 27, 2007
Oprah has really overstepped boundaries.
What right does she think she has tospeak negatively of a whole nation.
There are so many corrupt nations in the world of which America and Nigeria are involved.
No Nigerian has come out in the open to label America most corrupt even though we hear of husbands killing their wife and daughter so as to inherit the wealth tied to them and lots more.She for one did not have a good past,so why speaking of Nigeria of the being the most corrupt.
I hate her for that,I never knew that at the level of her education she can be this unreasonable.
HISSES[color=Black][/color]
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by MP007(m): 7:48am On Jul 27, 2007
i never for once liked ophra, this is what we call "overgeneralization" in english, its like me saying every black lady is a ho' or bitch , am just not surprised, she is an idot , i hate any lady that watch her show, she keeps spreading divorce all in the name of "feminism and women independent", just hate her with passion,
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by MP007(m): 7:48am On Jul 27, 2007
whoever voted in support of ophra is an idiot , just pray i dont lay my hands on u,
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by charlione(m): 8:06am On Jul 27, 2007
u guy should calm down pls;at least until we can verify this story.As 4 the link to reach Oprah, i suggest no one uses it till they're sure she said this things.Two wrongs can never make a right.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ToyinOj(m): 8:34am On Jul 27, 2007
All of u guys that are voicing opinions about who's corrupt and who's not should just chill.

Even in Nigeria we dey talk say our leaders corrupt, wetin the babble come dey about.Corruption only breeds corruption. Hence Nigerians are corrupt.Or at least have the capacity to want to swindle to enrich themselves. tongue

Abeg free dis woman, if na FG declare say Nigerians dey corrupt una go still dey talk all of this? Oprah thank u very much for being another voice in cry of the MANY corrupt Nigerians home nad abroad. grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 27, 2007
I am disapointted in Oprah, I expected more from her. Some Nigerians are good, some are bad , same goes for African Americans and people world wide. It is therefore a shame that she could generalize such a bad image for Nigeria knowing that she has a powerful outreach.
Will it be fair if someone said all Black Americans are robbers and prostitutes.
It is really annoying because a lot of Nigerians are honest and hardworking. She should be sued for making such a libelous statement
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ebos(m): 9:15am On Jul 27, 2007
From Iraq, Pakistan, Iran, Syria, Palestine and to the rest of Arab countries who are known for terrorisms, yet nobody have said all these countries are terrorists. I tell you, if Oprah had directed the corruption remark to one of these countries, Alqada, Hamas, Fatah Group, Sunis, Shitte, Hezbollah and the rest would have te te handed US their Attack Notifications. I know by now, Oprah would have denied more than 10 times that she did not make such statement and even render apology for those that think she might have made the statement. But here in Nigeria, as usual, we hala, shake body, jump up, jump down, smile and life goes on. Let me hear word. In as much as the statement is a bad remark for Nigeria, yet, a Nigerian who knows that she made such statement can be paid by Oprah, and the person will swear that Oprah never even mention Nigeria in her statement, let alone the word ‘corruption.’ When this happen, Oprah might feel justified.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Echidime(m): 9:21am On Jul 27, 2007
No sensible NIGERIAN will take seriously the WORD of a PROSTITUTE like OPRAH Winfrey. She was refuse entry into OIL Rich Nigeria,because the Nigerian Government did not allow her to come in and distribute AIDS, so she has to go to South Africa where distribution of AIDS is FREE.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by trendy(f): 9:23am On Jul 27, 2007
Too Bad this is coming from oprah
but for her to pass general judgement is so unfair
she should have known better
is she perfect? have she lived in Nigeria?
didn't she think that out of a twelve there always a Judas?
What if she has been dealing with the Judas?

it's so wrong for her to condemn all Nigerians like that
wish i can see her and spit on her face undecided

But since she has a lot of influence
i tell you this publicity is not good for naija at all embarassed
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Echidime(m): 9:31am On Jul 27, 2007
No matter what Prostitute Opray says about nigeria, it can't change anything, it will have no effect on us.the only effect it can have on us is in a positive way, that is discouraging fellow prostitutes like her from coming to Nigeria
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Echidime(m): 9:36am On Jul 27, 2007
what do you expect from prostitutes. If not to talk nonsense when they don't have any man to dig their HOLES for them, thats juwt what Oprah Winfrey is doing. Can someone please tell her to go South Africa and Quench her sexual desires as Nigeria men don't have her time,She thinks by saying that our Glorious Nigerian men will go to her,she is dreaming because Nigerian men don't have time for cheap holes like her
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by maki(f): 9:40am On Jul 27, 2007
too bad  angry  angry  angry
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by trendy(f): 9:42am On Jul 27, 2007
Oprah has been unfair right we all know that
and am so mad at her angry

But our Government needs a change of attitude really,
See how our governors are being exposed like armed robbers
it's a shame

But i love my country and am standing by it
come rain come sun
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by akanze: 9:49am On Jul 27, 2007
Dont' you think Winfrey is entitled to her opinion?

She has the right to say whatever pleases her?

But if I may ask? what brought the issue of corruption?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by narcissus(m): 10:03am On Jul 27, 2007
yawn!!! grin It said that he said that she said that who said what? All this protestations and vexation of mind and spirit, na wa oh! When did she say it? where did she say it? on her show? In an interview? I smell a rumour or quoting out of context. ABEGI!!!!!! I have nothing to say to oprah until I verify when and where she said this. When i verify, hell hath no fury like a Proud Nigerian scorned!!! grin

@ Militia
Wey you go now? This thread has become too needlessly nationalistic and boring. please now, oprah pickin, make me laugh jo.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by dblock(m): 10:07am On Jul 27, 2007
Every one is entitled to their opinion, but to say that all Nigerians are is corrupt, is Prejudice.

Such a statement cannot be condoned or tolerated.

Nigerians should abstain from viewing her show, and the Nigerian Government Should ban the viewing of the show in Nigeria.

This is not a blatant idea, because I firmly believe that labeling a whole population negatively is as bad as Adolf Hitler executing Jews.

You wouldn't call all Chinese people thieves, because you knew a Chinese man that stole something of yours.

This is a serious issue, and Oprah should be made to apologize.

If someone like Obafemi Martins was to call all Britons rouges, He would probably be fired.

No true Nigerian would condone what Oprah has said.

If you are going to condone what Oprah as said, then you must not be African.

She probably made the statement because she is still suffering from the aftermath of her childhood rape.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Echidime(m): 10:11am On Jul 27, 2007
@Akanze: Oprah wanted to invest in Nigeria thinking that Nigeria is still the same Nigeria she used to know in the olden days, and when the Government outlines the rules and procedures to her she call it Corruption. Isn't that stupidity on her part?

@rendy: Yes oooo we must stand firm to our bless country come rain come sun

@dblock: I have always told you people that western be it black or white are all Terrorist,now can you see what a useless,shameless,Animal fucker call oprah has said? She deserve to be teach a lesson of herr life.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply)

Hijab Crisis: Kwara Is Muslim State, Take Your Mission Schools To Rivers - MURIC / Obidients Hold Wheelbarrow Rally In The North / Osogbo To Determine Osun Governor As PDP Leads After 29 Local Govts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.