Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (51382 Views)

Poll: This is a serious matter. Whose side are you on?

Nigeria: 80% (294 votes)
Oprah Winfrey: 19% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Apc Gov Are Corrupt: Says Who????? / Every Nigerian Billionaire Is Corrupt, Says Former Minister Akinyemi / All Nigerian Military Head Of State Are Corrupt Including General Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by WesleyanA(f): 9:55pm On Jul 26, 2007
Sweet T:

@Wesleyan
Sorry about that, i did not mean an average Nigerian. I mean most of our leaders and the 419ers !

oh ok. i edited my post. lol
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 10:00pm On Jul 26, 2007
@WesleyanA

look at the issues that were treated. How many of those people are located in Nigeria?

In fact, ask Sweet T.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by presido1: 10:06pm On Jul 26, 2007
denex:

@WesleyanA

look at the issues that were treated. How many of those people are located in Nigeria?

In fact, ask Sweet T.
sweet T over to you.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SweetT1: 10:06pm On Jul 26, 2007
@Weslayan
There was a case about 3-4 years ago. There were some ibo boys and a couple of Nigerian doctors were involved in medicare fraud. They were defrauding the US govt. Millions of dollars. FBI got a tip and began investigating those guys. Do you know that they followed them to V.island in Lagos ? They video taped their parties where these guys were spraying cash like water. FBI did a very thorough and intense investigation of these guys until they have enough evidence for trial. Guee what? When those guys were arrested, they thought they could buy their way out of trouble by hiring the best lawerys available. Some of them were even boasting that they would winning the case. The case got to court and the federal prosecutors began unloading their cases. When these ibo boys saw all the videos of the parties in V.I and all other evidence. They started pleading for a plea bargain ! Most of them got 10-15 years in prison. Ever since that case, the light of corruption has been shinning harder on Nigerians. Nigerians are tagged with financial crimes, the Asians are tagged with stealing expensive cars and the Latinos are tagged with illegal immigration !
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Mamajama(m): 10:07pm On Jul 26, 2007
Other Africans are doing the same thing, Nigerians just have 140 Million population, recently 16 Kenyans were arrested in Kansas city for $16.5 million credit card fraud.  Now are they Nigerians?  Drug lords are killed in Mexico daily.  so she should focus on other countries and leave us alone.  Why did cant she build a school in Nigeria to help educate the young ones.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SweetT1: 10:08pm On Jul 26, 2007
@Denex
Most of the 419ers back at home just send out scandalous E-mail scams !
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Mamajama(m): 10:09pm On Jul 26, 2007
Sweet T what are you tagged with in TX? im just curious, I've seen how big houses are in TX. LOL
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SweetT1: 10:12pm On Jul 26, 2007
@mamjama
I'm tagged with hardwork, joy and P-funk. If you know what i mean ! grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by presido1: 10:14pm On Jul 26, 2007
There were some ibo boys and a couple of Nigerian doctors were involved in medicare fraud
the couple of doctors don't have tribe abi they are not nigerians. You are slowly driving to your point, i can see that.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SweetT1: 10:17pm On Jul 26, 2007
@presido
How is abuja ?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by WesleyanA(f): 10:18pm On Jul 26, 2007
Mamajama:

Sweet T what are you tagged with in TX? im just curious, I've seen how big houses are in TX. LOL

the houses are HUGE in texas shocked shocked shocked
are they just wealthier over there or what?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SweetT1: 10:22pm On Jul 26, 2007
@Wesleyan
Haven't you heard that everything is big in TX. ?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SweetT1: 10:25pm On Jul 26, 2007
@Wesleyan
Are you on vacation in Naija ?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Mamajama(m): 10:26pm On Jul 26, 2007
they are cheap and bigger compare to other states
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by presido1: 10:27pm On Jul 26, 2007
Sweet T:

@presido
How is abuja ?
Not yet in ABJ but slowly slowly i am getting close, How is Tx now i know you are there now.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Akiika: 10:28pm On Jul 26, 2007
You guys should refrain from using Ibo boys, Hausa girl, yoruba man, diaspora e.t.c we are all Nigerians Plz. cotribute intelligently and stop attacking personalities. You guys even curse, swear, make una cool down small. Some of una even be the yahoo yahoo boys sef.
Sweet T, is it part of your job function to discuss criminals' cases.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 10:31pm On Jul 26, 2007
@Akiika

We are her people, she can discuss cases with us as it affects our general well being as long as it doesn't affect the outcome of the case.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by omoge(f): 10:33pm On Jul 26, 2007
na wah ooo all day long? okay make someone send in Okparah head  smiley she is done with today's show and relaxing with Mr. Stedman. so someone go get her head undecided

let's get our act together then everything will be all right  undecided
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Esss(m): 10:49pm On Jul 26, 2007
I was going to curse and swear at Oprah, but then I just realised that it is of no use.

I have always been of the opinion that oprah is full of shit, this only goes to prove it. Her money is obviously making her stupid. Next thing will be all sudanese people are poor, or all liberians are warlords, or all the children in africa are malnourished.

Oprah is obviously ignorant, so this should be an eye-opener to all you oprah fans/addicts.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by mantutuman(m): 10:55pm On Jul 26, 2007
I have not verified the Oprah statement but if she did say so I would say Shame on her for such a callous and ignorant comment. Any Nigerian who supports Oprah's statement shoud be ashamed of himself / herself as well. It is equal to condemning all those our fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, children and friends of Nigerian extraction who make an honest living in all parts of the world laboring and working and making decent and sometimes not so decent wages for their efforts.
If she did make the statement, we should boycott her shows, her products, her persona and all things related to her until she publicly apologises. If she does not do so then so be it but we need to make our feelings clear. I regret even attending one of her live tapings at Harpo Studios.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by spikedcylinder: 11:20pm On Jul 26, 2007
MILITIA, If you are so anti Nigerian, I wonder what you are doing on [b]Naira[/b]land
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Tornadoz(m): 11:26pm On Jul 26, 2007
Oprah may have been wrong to brand all Nigerians as fraudsters, but we should all do a bit of soul searching. We are very corrupt. Its in our blood.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by pedron(m): 11:41pm On Jul 26, 2007
Tornadoz:

Oprah may have been wrong to brand all Nigerians as fraudsters, but we should all do a bit of soul searching. We are very corrupt. Its in our blood.
@Tornadoz :
SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ghettochyk(f): 11:51pm On Jul 26, 2007
[b]I'd actually like to see a clip of where Oprah actually made this statement. Although it may be possible that she said it, I don't believe that she actually did. WHY? Because I and most people, including Oprah, know that it is wrong to make such a statement publicly for two facts: 1) Oprah doesn't know ALL Nigerians and 2) OVER-generalization is always bad. Besides, corruption is not dependent on one's level of education, so there was not use saying "Nigerian, no matter which level of education are all currupt". So, if Oprah DID say that, then that would be very stupid on her part since of course Oprah does not know and haven't met EVERY Nigeria. And I suppose Oprah is a smart woman, so it aint really going to look good on her resume for making such a stupid statement. It's not like whoever she sent that message to would say "yeah, it's true. all Nigerians are currupt because Oprah said so." I know a majority of the people have some capablity of reasoning. In the end, Oprah's opinion on Najia don't matter. She aint really paying nobody's bills. She should keep her opinions in South Africa.[/b]

Tornadoz:

Oprah may have been wrong to brand all Nigerians as fraudsters, [b]but we should all do a bit of soul searching. We are very corrupt. Its in our blood.[/b]

I don't really see the point you're trying to make here. 
If you consider yourself to be corrupt or feel that corruption is in YOUR blood, then you go ahead and speak for YOURSELF! I'm sure most Naija folks don't consider themselves corrupt so really, do speak for yourself. And if ALL Nigerians ARE corrupt, then the whole world is corrupt. It's fair to say so because really, I never did see what that statement (of all Nigerians being corrupt) was based on. 
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ghettochyk(f): 11:54pm On Jul 26, 2007
@tornadoz

you even contradicted yourself in dat post of yours. How can you say dat Oprah's statement is wrong and then turn around and say you agree? does dat even make sense to you?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by emmami(m): 12:24am On Jul 27, 2007
Education has nothing to do with curruption nor gegraphycal location NIGERIANS are unique people bleesed and not cursed favoured beyond any comment i guess she must have been miss qouated she is too knowledgeble not to know the down side of over generalisation
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 12:43am On Jul 27, 2007
abeg you've said enof jo! but sha oprah no try o! i swear embarassed. lets go on strike and not watch her shows for a month then she will feel us, big mouth angry
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by emmami(m): 12:50am On Jul 27, 2007
and what if she dint say that never go on strike yrt ma broda some things are just not worth ur emotion wink
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 12:59am On Jul 27, 2007
imagine, she says we are all corrupt, fr Yar adua to yourself, from cardinal Arinze to bro chinedu, hmnn she no really try sha
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by tanasha(f): 1:11am On Jul 27, 2007
I totally agree with Oprah,it is a well known fact around the world that Nigerians are indeed corrupt!Some are corrupt subconciously maybe because of the society they grew up in ,something like that.All the nigerians i`ve associated with find no fault in giving a bribe for a visa,passport,document or stuff like that.They may be good people but they contribute largely to the corruption in their country by trying to cover it up and trying to compare themselves with other nations.IF YOU CAN NOT FACE YOUR PROBLEMS AND TRY TO LIVE IN DENIAL who the hell will save Nigeria?By blaming Judge Judy and Oprah you are all being corrupt because you do not want to face the reality of the situation,instead you want to live a lie and pretend Nigeria is as good as any other nation.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by bluesky4(f): 1:13am On Jul 27, 2007
Oprah is not stupid to make such statement, the fact that most of u guys actually believe she says it makes u look quite silly.

To all u people cursing her, why are u so quick to judge. Just coz she made a show about 419 and nigerians, does it mean that she thinks every nigerian is curropt? abeg u havent even seen the source of this claim and yall quick to judge.

And its true, MOST naijas are curropt, every1 knows it, the fact that some e-bay stuff cant be sold to ne1 in nigeria is a living proof of it.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ayojango(m): 1:26am On Jul 27, 2007
shes foolish y do blacks like behavin like oyinbos,all her audience r white it is in d black blood 2 steal,mk she no come naija her shows r boring she say she gt money tell hr dangote will pay her salary bit, h

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Toyin Saraki Arrived At EFCC Unprepared, Left Shocked At How Much They Know- SAR / Nnamdi Kanu's Lawyer Chased Out Of Court - The Cable / Photos Of A DPO Who Was Injured In Rivers During Today's Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.