Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm (14827 Views)

Is President Tinubu Taking The Boldest Political Decisions? / Definition Of APC By Dino Melaye / Buhari on hot seat, Atiku is winning. PDP is taking APC down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by okefranci: 2:46am On Jan 24, 2022
LAGOS – Since Asiwaju Bola Tinubu’s declaration of his intention to run for the presidency in 2023, there have been subdued disquiet between the camps of the All Progressives Congress (APC) national leader and the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, who many believe could end up as the anointed and preferred choice of President Muhammadu Buhari.

President Buhari was non-committal when asked if he had a ‘favourite’ candidate in his party to succeed him. The president said he would rather keep the matter close to his chest, knowing that if he revealed his favourite, he could be taken out.

Although Prof. Osinbajo is yet to declare his intention to take over from his boss, many observers believe that both the president and the supposed cabal are rooting for the vice president.

After Tinubu’s declaration, one of the groups supporting the calls for Osinbajo to contest the 2023 presidential election, said they remained unruffled by the decision of Tinubu to throw his hat in the ring for the 2023 presidency.

Looking Like Two-Horse Race

The chairman of the Public Opinion Leaders Group, a unit of The Progressive Project (TPP), one of the groups rooting for Osinbajo presidency in 2023, Shettima Umar Abba Gana said it is the beauty of democracy for many aspirants to show interest in a position. He, however, added that they won’t be shelving their calls for Osinbajo to succeed President Buhari in 2023 just because Tinubu has also declared his intention.

Speaking further, Gana disclosed that though Osinbajo had not commissioned them to campaign for him nor has he openly declared interest in the race, the Vice President is their choice to become the next leader of the country and every other person had the right to support his/her preferred candidate as well.

He said: “What is happening is democracy, he (Bola Tinubu) wants to run, we want our own man (Osinbajo) to run. That is the beauty of democracy; we want our man to come out because we believe he has some good qualities.
“In a democracy, everybody has his own opinion, his own wish and his own vote. Let them come out and let us go to the field. Ours is that this man is good, let him come out and we’ll support him. What we’re doing has nothing to do with Bola Tinubu coming out or not, let him come out and let everyone that wants come out. It’s a democracy that is not a problem.”

However, those who belong to Tinubu’s camp have been raising concerns and observations over what they term the high profile political movements for Vice President Osinbajo for the 2023 presidential race which they believe must have been sanctioned by President Buhari.

Sources in the Tinubu camp believe Osinbajo may be the secret weapon Buhari mentioned in his recent television interview.

The complaint by the Tinubu camp came against the background of high level endorsements and notable moves by canvassers of the Vice-President’s alleged 2023 presidential aspiration. The endorsements have been especially manifest in the North and recently the trend moved downwards to the South with Delta State as its launch pad.

The Tinubu camp, which has vowed not to raise the issue with the Presidency is, however, irked by the fact that Osinbajo’s name is being mentioned and projected everywhere for the 2023 presidential election with Buhari looking the other way.
A source within the Tinubu’s camp said, “You cannot tell me that the President does not know anything about this and that his deputy is being worked up to take his office and he is ignorant? No, no.

“How can your subordinate be moving about like that as if you have anointed him for your office? You send him here and there to expose him?
“If you have a wife and she is misbehaving, who am I to complain when you, the husband, are indifferent? So, we will keep on watching.”

Those Who Stand Against Tinubu

On Tuesday, Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Political Matters, Senator Babafemi Ojudu, in a Facebook post which he titled, “Principled Political Choices are not Betrayal”, explained his decision not to support the presidential bid of Tinubu, saying his stance should not be interpreted as a betrayal.

After he released the lengthy statement on his Facebook wall, Ojudu came under serious attacks from Tinubu’s followers and loyalists who accused him (Ojudu) of betrayal and double standard.

Ojudu, who claimed to have been receiving threat messages for his stance not to support Tinubu’s aspiration, said although he and Tinubu had been long-time associates, supporting the former governor’s presidential bid does not agree with his conscience and ideals.

The presidential aide, who seems to have taken sides with Osinbajo whose presidential bid he is now energetically promoting, in his Tuesday statement, said he was being threatened while his family members were being embarrassed because of his political opposition to Tinubu.

According to the statement, “I have seen a statement made by me, many years ago, to celebrate the 60th birthday anniversary of Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu making the rounds. Yes, I did make that statement. And more of such will come in my autobiography. We, together, have seen good days and bad days.

“I and Bola Tinubu have come a long way and we have been there for each other. So, let no one use my acknowledgment of his good deeds and my refusal not to support him in his bid for Nigeria presidency portray me as a betrayer.

“Tinubu remains my leader and I will forever cherish him and the contributions he made to my Organisation during our fight against the military.

“He, however, knows I don’t follow the herd. I make my choices based on very rigid parameters. He will tell you I am very Independent in my actions and ways.

“As a third year university student my dad chose to be in NPN. I never considered the fact that he fed me and paid my school fees to join him in a party I despised. I went to UPN and became a youth leader.

“Tinubu will tell you that whatever and whoever Ojudu is committed to is in for 100 percent commitment. Reasons I did rather faced torture and possible death in General Sani Abacha’s detention than reveal certain things they wanted me to reveal about him.

“The idea that everyone who has related with Tinubu and disagrees with him on this Presidential bid is a traitor and a betrayal is puerile. Many of us, his associates, were not made by him as you also want the world to believe.

“We were already made before meeting him and in the course of relating we gave one another a helping hand. As far back as 1992 when I came to know him, I was already one of the editors of a popular news magazine with a good standing too in the civil society. I walked out of my job when our billionaire publisher (Chief MKO Abiola) requested I and my colleagues apologize to General Ibrahim Babangida over a story critical of the regime. That was 1992.

“When I left that job, Chief Gani Fawehinmi, a man whom I was indebted to greatly (gave me a scholarship in my school days alongside King Sunny Ade) invested in my publishing platform (The News, publisher of PM news). The same one that was consequential in the battle to bring democracy back to Nigeria.

“At the conclusion of that struggle, Chief Fawehinmi insisted we sit out politics. Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu disagreed with this notion, and I did as well. Against an obvious choice to blind loyalty, I went along with Senator Tinubu, even serving severally in critical roles as he assumed the governorship position. My actions angered Chief Gani so much he asked that I repay his investments. Guess what? I gladly did.

“So, if my principled stance against NPN, against IBB, and against “siddon look” was not betrayal of my father, Chief MKO Abiola, and Chief Gani Fawehinmi respectively, why would my principled stance against our leader’s present ambition be?

“So, on this matter of 2023, I wish him well but I cannot in good conscience give him my support or cast my vote for him in the coming primary. It is my right. I am above 60 years of age for God sake. I almost died seeking this inalienable democratic right, held up in detention and severally tortured. Your god is not my god.

“Let no one think he can browbeat or blackmail me to do what does not go with my conscience or my ideals. Enough of your phone threats and embarrassment of my family members.

“I know Tinubu. I respect and adore him. Many of his latter day supporters do not even know him. If they do, they won’t resort to emotional and physical blackmail. When Tinubu decided to go against Afenifere and the Yoruba elders in 2003 by not supporting President Olusegun Obasanjo, he wasn’t betraying the Yoruba nation or a traitor to Afenifere. He made a choice and history has been his judge. Let history be my own judge too. When he supported Chief Olu Falae against Chief Bola Ige, our respected leader, who fought for him to emerge as the candidate of Alliance for Democracy in Lagos, no one shouted betrayal.

“For the irritants who have been sending threat messages to me and members of my family or calling to abuse me for not supporting Tinubu, do know that is not democracy. It is something else. I spent my youth years fighting autocracy and intolerance of the military and I am still willing and ready, even now, to stand up for what I believe , even if it will cost me my life. Enough said.”

Meanwhile, former Governor of Niger State, Babangida Aliyu, on Tuesday, said the APC will give its presidential ticket for the 2023 general elections to Vice President Osinbajo.

Speaking at the ongoing 2022 annual lecture of the Sir Ahmadu Bello Memorial Foundation in Kano State, the former governor, while referring to the National Leader of the APC, said the party would only be interested in his (Tinubu) money.

According to Aliyu, any “riff-raff or moneybag” will not get to the highest office in the country, even if they bring out money.

“No matter how much money he has, let him bring the money and we will collect it. Mr. Vice President, wherever you go, we will follow,”

He described Osinbajo as the best candidate for the ruling party. “Mr. Vice President, do you know you are the best candidate in your party?”

He stressed that Osinbajo has the acceptance of most Nigerians regardless of tribe, religion, and political party.

On Saturday, January 15, thousands of Nigerians campaigning for Osinbajo’s presidential aspiration converged on Kano where they unveiled a new support group called ‘New Nigerian Tribe’.

https://independent.ng/osinbajo-tinubu-taking-apc-by-storm/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by Totilopussylick(m): 2:54am On Jan 24, 2022
angry Long journey
Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by Mastakija(m): 3:10am On Jan 24, 2022
Tinubu himself knows he can't b president

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by freeingzw: 3:16am On Jan 24, 2022
Mastakija:
but i thought igbos want biafra not Nigeria

We want both Biafra and Nigeria presidency.

Who tell us you we can’t have the two?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by Mastakija(m): 3:18am On Jan 24, 2022
freeingzw:

We want both Biafra and Nigeria presidency.

Who tell us you we can’t have the two?

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by todaynewsreview: 5:11am On Jan 24, 2022
Hmmmmmm
Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by WhoDeyThere(m): 5:11am On Jan 24, 2022
Ok
Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:12am On Jan 24, 2022
We have not offended anyone by Supporting Osinbajo, but anyone who takes our decision personal should kindly chill out!

The last thing we will do as Progressives is to engage is a smear campaign or promote any post that can lead to the Character Assassination of Tinubu or any other Contender of the APC Ticket.

We are MANNA, and WE STAND WITH PROFESSOR YEMI OSINBAJO until the party says otherwise.

Thanks.

God bless our Vice President.
Our incoming President in Jesus name,
Insha Allah.

Jinjinkoku:
I just want this man as our president in 2023. May we not miss it this time.

A better Nigeria all around is all we want.
A better Nigeria all around is what we shall encounter.
Nigeria will succeed.
God bless Nigeria.

Our own @MANNABBGRILLS come 2023 be say :

Starboy and Zulum for 2023.
Jibabs2:
Osinbajo or nothing

Our own @[/b] be say : STARBOY & Zulum for 2023.

Osinbajo, The great Man.

Our own @[b]
be say : STARBOY and ZULUM all da Way.

Come 2023 BGG,
STARBOY and ZULUM we dey for una.
Whether the evil ones like it or not,
Nigeria will succeed.

Topmaike007:
I like this your combo...

Pls when will APC membership card revalidation exercise end..

I need to collect mine
Our Combo is actually a well selected great Combo to move our nation forward.
That being said,,
Chief Topmaike,
We no too know about this APC revalidation tin o.
We are not actually a card carrying member of any political party in Nigeria.
The only 2 guys we love in Naija politics are our darling Daddy and his amiable Vice.
Now, Zulum has joined the rank.
We only go to the polls on election day to cast our votes for good, honest men that meant well for the nation, no matter the party they are.
And you don't have to be a party member to do that.

But in the past one month, we have noticed how all the top big wigs and non-politicians alike are all joining APC in their various Constituencies, from Governors, to Businesses owners and Entrepreneurs.
We are looking and researching about the good ones among them already.

Serveyouright:

The best for the job so far. If only greedy men in politics will allow this combo to fly.
We sane, good, honest and hardworking Nigerians will do all in our power to make this Combo work.
That is why we all must come together.

Nigeria will be great again in our lifetime

iHart:
I love this man
We Love him too.
Only fraudsters, criminals, thieves and losers in life don't like him obviously cool.
The same nuisances that do not like sane, good and honest members here.
Two time losers.

God bless our amiable Vice president Prof Yemi Osinbajo.
God bless Nigeria.

Our own @[/b] be say : [b]STARBOY and ZULUM all da Way.

Come 2023 BGG,
STARBOY and ZULUM we dey for una.
Whether the evil ones like it or not,
Nigeria will succeed.

Serveyouright:

The best for the job so far. If only greedy men in politics will allow this combo to fly.
We sane, good, honest and hardworking Nigerians will do all in our power to make this Combo work.
That is why we all must come together.

Nigeria will be great again in our lifetime

PYO : Man of the people.... Sane people we mean.
Sane, honest and hardworking Nigerians. kiss

Mexzy4sho:

one can't deny that this combo would be the best to beat currently in Nigeria.
Manna, you make sense for here.
Now, clap for yasef undecided

Crucialgem:

We share the same view man, God bless you, I just hate the way people go about with always saying negative things when good news comes up about our country Nigeria. Most of you guys are the real problem we have in Nigeria
God bless you too crucial gem
You are truly a rare gem on this forum.

seeker121:
Prof Yemi Osinbajo my preferred candidate.
If you are a progressive and the person that pray for the good of Nigeria,
We will say, you are a great man!

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by blasted12: 5:13am On Jan 24, 2022
Osibanjo all the way. Say no to Bola Tinubu

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by Jahzrockballer(m): 5:13am On Jan 24, 2022
Okay
Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by JooEeL(m): 5:18am On Jan 24, 2022
THEY ARE TAKING THE STUPIDITY OF ZOOGERIANS BY STORM!

Awon oponu radarada! undecided

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by Passionate888: 5:21am On Jan 24, 2022
Osinbajo go clinch the party ticket

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by budusky05(m): 5:26am On Jan 24, 2022
How I wish they all run mad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by ensamy(m): 5:26am On Jan 24, 2022
My PVC is for Osibanjo so is every other South South and South Eastners if he comes out. He has been tested and trusted at the federal level and as a unifying force and economic guru that will put Nigeria back into the world stage.
Tinubu is a No No. shocked sad he was to satisfy his selfish ambition and the wife that wants to answer First lady of the federal republic of Nigeria, they have nothing to offer.
WHO THE CAP FITS LET HIM WEAR IT.
In Osibanjo the entire South South and South East stands.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by cktheluckyman: 5:47am On Jan 24, 2022
Yorubas and propaganda lol!! Believe me we are yet to see all the presidential aspirants in the APC!! More people including northerners will still declare in the coming days

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by Kachi4christ(m): 5:52am On Jan 24, 2022
Till they become worse than buhari, na when all of us go rest
Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by hollywater: 5:57am On Jan 24, 2022
On a second thought, no be only Tinubu and Osinbajo dey Nigeria o wetin self? We have other competent people that can drive the affairs of this country better than these 2 Man.

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by Sannisege: 6:06am On Jan 24, 2022
Hmm I wonder why the most vociferous supporters of Osinbajo are PDP members. When your enemy starts making recommendations to you, be careful

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by tamdun: 6:07am On Jan 24, 2022
cktheluckyman:
Yorubas and propaganda lol!! Believe me we are yet to see all the presidential aspirants in the APC!! More people including northerners will still declare in the coming days
Wake up and smell the coffee,apc convention is February any serious candidate would be making moves by now, even atiku/wike are already making moves

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by ceaser: 6:09am On Jan 24, 2022
Tinubu should just go and relax. He doesn't appear to be a fovourite of majority of Nigerians or across the nation.

The baggage that trail him is too much such that Nigerians are being careful not to repeat the same mistake they made with Buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by Sannisege: 6:12am On Jan 24, 2022
ceaser:
Tinubu should just go and relax. He doesn't appear to be a fovourite of majority of Nigerians or across the nation.

The baggage that trail him is too much such that Nigerians are being careful not to repeat the same mistake they made with Buhari.
tell us the baggage that trail him

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by tamdun: 6:16am On Jan 24, 2022
Sannisege:
tell us the baggage that trail him
Propaganda that's all

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by gadgethead: 6:22am On Jan 24, 2022
So unless PDP and APC both field Ibo presidential candidates, the southeast can not smell Aso rock?

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by azikiweironsi(m): 6:27am On Jan 24, 2022
For me, I don't know of anybody, my vote goes to the STAR BOY. Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.
Well articulated, intelligent, Cool, calm and collected.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by CocoaOla: 6:31am On Jan 24, 2022
Tinubu will destroy Nigerians and Nigeria
Re: Osinbajo, Tinubu Taking APC By Storm by Nobody: 6:33am On Jan 24, 2022
Yoruba candidates getting ridiculed by Yoruba people, very soon haters from biafra land will join them in saying trash about them

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Was Misunderstood - Akpabio: Was He? / Ifeanyi Ubah Arrested For Fuel Subsidy Scam / Forgotten European Atrocities In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.