Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,697 members, 7,831,172 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? (52832 Views)

COVID-19 In US: Thousands Lineup Orderly In Their Cars To Get Food, Items(Pics) / US President Vs UK Prime Minister’s Motorcade (photo) / Jerusalem: ''to Know Who The 45th US President Is, Read Isaiah 45'' - FFK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by tunize(m): 8:04am On Jan 28, 2022
Maybe because he is helping the country he visits (to avoid wahala). Imagine sey US president come Nigeria without proper security them come kill am, what do you think would happen?
Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by JeffreyJunior: 8:30am On Jan 28, 2022
neuf:

Oga US is not Nigeria, soldiers have no business with the President protection whether travelling or sleeping. That's the job description of the Secret Service.

wait do you think the Secret Service is made up of just 6 guys that walk with POTUS?

Airforce One is maintained by the US Airforce but even they don't have a say in the President protection while on it. Same with Marine One.
Let me shock you a little.

Even with all the Suits around Biden, there are at least four Marines in close proximity right now and there will always be four Marines close to him at all times.

I'm not arguing with anybody about the job of the Secret Sevice, all I'm saying is that soldiers play their part too in the same regard and they play it big especially when Potus is outside the country.

1 Like

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by neuf(m): 8:38am On Jan 28, 2022
JeffreyJunior:

Even with all the Suits around Biden, there are at least four Marines in close proximity right now and there will always be four Marines close to him at all times.

I'm not arguing with anybody about the job of the Secret Sevice, all I'm saying is that soldiers play their part too in the same regard and they play it big especially when Potus is outside the country.

orh naked wire...

what is the function of 4 marines that the Secret Service can't do. Sometimes asking yourself simple questions will save you a lot of combat.

A Secret Service agent will beat a Marine in close proximity combat, they carry more sophisticated weapons and intelligence gadgets than the Marines so what exactly do they need the Marines for??

3 Likes

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by Patode: 8:58am On Jan 28, 2022
Reno Omokri should be able to answer this question.
Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by JeffreyJunior: 8:58am On Jan 28, 2022
neuf:

orh naked wire...

what is the function of 4 marines that the Secret Service can't do. Sometimes asking yourself simple questions will save you a lot of combat.

A Secret Service agent will beat a Marine in close proximity combat, they carry more sophisticated weapons and intelligence gadgets than the Marines so what exactly do they need the Marines for??
One Secret Sevice agent can even beat one hundred Marines, no problem but that doesn't change the fact that four Marines are always in close proximity to the Potus. Go verify my claim and come back.

Who strong pass between Marines and men of the Secret Service is not the topic here today, maybe some other time but I will leave you with one thing.

Oftentimes, Secret Sevice job is only but a retirement job for tough young vets of USMC and Navy Seals.

1 Like

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by Owologbo(m): 9:03am On Jan 28, 2022
God1000:
because they've created enemies all over the world

Isn't this hubris?
Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by oyoofong(m): 9:23am On Jan 28, 2022
He''s the president of all president
Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by MufasaLion: 9:35am On Jan 28, 2022
Saao:
lol, you don't know. I was 62 regular course in NDA, was in timer 2 (equivalent to 200 l) most of my classmate then in NDA are captain, major and Lt. Colonel. Two of them are in bubu security details. The country he is visiting, provide security but he goes with personal securities. Bubu is even big, as small as wife of the president, she travel out with her ADC and two securities with weapons. If you don't believe me, kindly find out.

You still in the force?
Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by MufasaLion: 9:54am On Jan 28, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

It proves nothing except that SIX years ago, Barack Obama travelled on an INTERNATIONAL flight to Kenya aboard Airforce One and it was the biggest security operation in history. The article states that the airport’s DOMESTIC TERMINAL was shut down and patrolled by US marines, CIA and secret service agents and Kenyan soldiers.

A DOMESTIC AIRPORT TERMINAL is for flights WITHIN one country. Flights from the US fly into the INTERNATIONAL terminal.

The Guardian is a just a British newspaper while Justice.Gov is the official Website of the US Justice Department. NO website or newspaper provides information more accurate than the official government website.
The article says NOTHING to support your claims but instead speaks of both foreign and domestic agencies patrolling the opposite terminal of an airport.

Don't argue with that dude. Ignore him. He's not ready to learn.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by MufasaLion: 9:55am On Jan 28, 2022
juman:
I dont like american leaders.
Most of their politicians are very very stupid.

Point out any of your leaders that can beat them.
Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by BabaIbo: 10:01am On Jan 28, 2022
bjtinz:
I don't understand. Why does almost Al of OP's topics always make front page??

I dey suspect am oo

The rate of his posts making FP is average na. No big deal.

3 out of 6 posts made FP. Almost, of not same as mine, so free the guy.

Just make a good and interesting posts and mods will move it to FP.

1 Like

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by MufasaLion: 10:14am On Jan 28, 2022
After reading all the posts by people, I realized that we still have a long way to go as Nigerians. So many ignorant folks in this country. Worst of it all is that they might be graduates.

Imagine the OP creating a thread on a topic you have no knowledge on, but instead, he's wallowing in ignorance even with evidence and facts. A grown up man believing more in a write-up of a publishing company over the website of the U.S. government.

Indeed, we deserve the leaders we have in Africa!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by Poleski: 10:20am On Jan 28, 2022
God1000:
We all know that US president is one of the most protected world leaders on earth, he travels to wherever he wants with armed security guards from US marines, FBI agents among other special forces.

US air force uses C-17 transport plane to carry the presidential limousine called the beast with several other vehicles to where he's going ahead of his arrival.

The Beast has 8-inch armor plating and five-inch thick bulletproof windows, and Kevlar reinforcement for the giant Goodyear tires that are also run-flat. The cabin is sealed for the outside world for protection against a chemical attack and special foam surrounds the fuel tank in case of an impact.

Do you know any other world leader that travels with such large number of security men?

Can our own president travel to US with armed Nigerian soldiers? Will they be allowed?

The U.S. president is the most important person in the world and the most powerful. So kidnapping or killing him/her is a big deal Thus the security.

1 Like

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by BabaIbo: 10:33am On Jan 28, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

It proves nothing except that SIX years ago, Barack Obama travelled on an INTERNATIONAL flight to Kenya aboard Airforce One and it was the biggest security operation in history. The article states that the airport’s DOMESTIC TERMINAL was shut down and patrolled by US marines, CIA and secret service agents and Kenyan soldiers.

A DOMESTIC AIRPORT TERMINAL is for flights WITHIN one country. Flights from the US fly into the INTERNATIONAL terminal.

The Guardian is a just a British newspaper while Justice.Gov is the official Website of the US Justice Department. NO website or newspaper provides information more accurate than the official government website.
The article says NOTHING to support your claims but instead speaks of both foreign and domestic agencies patrolling the opposite terminal of an airport.

First of all, the name Air Force One does not belong to any specific aircraft, but instead is the radio call sign used when the President is aboard any United States Air Force plane. Currently, the Air Force provides two Boeing 747-200Bs for the presidential use.

Stop this argument please. Most of the times they work in unison, more like saying there are always members of each agencies/bodies/organization in the total entourage of the president on his foreign trip.

Secret Service maybe the sole agency incharge of the president's security, but other agencies are used or involved in one way or the other.

I hope you will learn from this us army website article and stop this argument.
https://www.army.mil/article/41275/white_house_transportation_agency_the_most_visible_unit_no_ones_ever_heard_of

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by Elkash01(m): 10:35am On Jan 28, 2022
Nothing concern Fbi with the security details of the president. The secret service are the ones in charge. Fbi are in charge of domestic affairs, which also includes the homeland security. The ones with in charge of foreign affairs are the central intelligence agency (CIA). So they are in the charge of the president security details.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by Invitationn: 11:18am On Jan 28, 2022
ahmEenu:
U just Dey cap. Why u no finish nda??
But think about ham. Why would any president travel to a foreign country without his own security detail when the US takes a battalion.

Although this is just logic not facts. However, I believe no host nation would prevent a visiting president from bringing the people he trusts to protect him with their own weapons.
It shouldn't be that hard, this is diplomacy.

1 Like

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by tammie24: 2:23pm On Jan 28, 2022
abbey621:

That's not the power he was referring to, the power we are talking about is the might of the military and the country as a whole. Presidents come and go, some are eccentric like trump, some are inept like Biden but one thing remains true for all of them, they hold the fate of not only Americans but the world at large. Case in point, W. Bush and his lies about Iraq, not only did he get the power to destroy his father's enemies but he affected the entire world and the way things are done. Xi might have dictator like powers but even Xi no fit grab lion by the balls, U.S president will do so and still blame lion for having balls grin grin grin
cheesy

Thanks for making it clear for people who think power is being a dictator in your little country

1 Like

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by jeffoe(m): 2:44pm On Jan 28, 2022
lexy2014:

Marines are soldiers. Every other thing u said is spot on
Marines are members of the marine corp and are not soldiers. Soldiers are member of army just like sailor are members of the navy
Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by lexy2014: 2:53pm On Jan 28, 2022
jeffoe:
Marines are members of the marine corp and are not soldiers. Soldiers are member of army just like sailor are members of the navy

There are 3 dictionary meanings of the word soldier:
1. A member of the army
2. An enlisted member of any branch of the military
3. A person who takes up arms to defend his or her country in a time of war.

From the above definitions, US marines are soldiers. I stand to be corrected

1 Like

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by jeffoe(m): 3:10pm On Jan 28, 2022
Can the military provides additional layer of security for the US president? Yes but only on request by the secrete service who are constitutionally mandated to provide security for the president and his family. It has to be approved and permit issued by the host country which I doubt would happen because I doubt if the host country will grant diplomatic immunity to his security details. What would be the use for a marine with no weapon? The amount of and the grade of weapons that the visiting president security teams can bring has to be explicitly authorised by the host nation. Typically this additional layer of security is the responsibility of the host country local police. It all boils down to principle reciprocity if the United state would also allow military personel with military grade weapons from the host country when they visit the United state . Protection of the visiting president is the responsibility of the host country. Although some host country could wave some of this requirement especially when it receives huge foreign aid from the United state or if the host president want to legitimise or increase acceptance of his government

1 Like

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by lexy2014: 3:15pm On Jan 28, 2022
BabaIbo:

First of all, the name Air Force One does not belong to any specific aircraft, but instead is the radio call sign used when the President is aboard any United States Air Force plane. Currently, the Air Force provides two Boeing 747-200Bs for the presidential use.

Stop this argument please. Most of the times they work in unison, more like saying there are always members of each agencies/bodies/organization in the total entourage of the president on his foreign trip.

Secret Service maybe the sole agency incharge of the president's security, but other agencies are used or involved in one way or the other.

I hope you will learn from this us army website article and stop this argument.
https://www.army.mil/article/41275/white_house_transportation_agency_the_most_visible_unit_no_ones_ever_heard_of

I don't think the gentleman said that agencies don't work together. The US presidents planes are air force planes and they are housed in an air force base. It's only natural for d secret service to work with d air force. So I think the point u are trying to make is at variance with what d gentleman is saying. The information which the OP provided suggests that d US president travels with armed US soldiers who provide him security which is false and that is what 1stgenamerican is arguing against. Even the link u provided corroborates his point of view because it doesn't say anything about soldiers providing security for the US president. Their job in the link u provided is transportation and handling of cargo

2 Likes

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by lexy2014: 3:16pm On Jan 28, 2022
Elkash01:
Nothing concern Fbi with the security details of the president. The secret service are the ones in charge. Fbi are in charge of domestic affairs, which also includes the homeland security. The ones with in charge of foreign affairs are the central intelligence agency (CIA). So they are in the charge of the president security details.

Sorry. Did u just say the CIA is in charge of the US presidents security?
Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by BabaIbo: 3:23pm On Jan 28, 2022
lexy2014:

I don't think the gentleman said that agencies don't work together. The US presidents planes are air force planes and they are housed in an air force base. It's only natural for d secret service to work with d air force. So I think the point u are trying to make is at variance with what d gentleman is saying. The information which the OP provided suggests that d US president travels with armed US soldiers who provide him security which is false and that is what 1stgenamerican is arguing against. Even the link u provided corroborates his point of view because it doesn't say anything about soldiers providing security for the US president. Their job in the link u provided is transportation and handling of cargo

Read his replies from the first one.

If I am not wrong, he said the military has no business whatsoever with the president's entourage traveling to other countries, that's solely the duty of Secret Service.

Someone pointed it out to him that marine people are the ones operating the vessel that carried some needed/necessary tools for the trip, he opposed it by saying people underrate Secret Service and think they are just the 6 people putting on glasses around the president, that they have unit that handles that and so on.

He didn't agree they work together Oga. If he did, there won't be any need for my mention.
Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by lexy2014: 3:29pm On Jan 28, 2022
BabaIbo:

Read his replies from the first one.

If I am not wrong, he said the military has no business whatsoever with the president's entourage traveling to other countries, that's solely the duty of Secret Service.

Someone pointed it out to him that marine people are the ones operating the vessel that carried some needed/necessary tools for the trip, he opposed it by saying people underrate Secret Service and think they are just the 6 people putting on glasses around the president, that they have unit that handles that and so on.

He didn't agree they work together Oga. If he did, there won't be any need for my mention.
I have been on this conversation and I was copied by the OP. the only trail I no is that which we were on, which was between him and the OP. I didn't see anywhere he mentioned what u are suggesting he mentioned and his last response didn't suggest that either. Maybe it's another conversation he had with someone else

1 Like

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by lexy2014: 3:34pm On Jan 28, 2022
JeffreyJunior:

What u are suggesting rarely happens. If it does happen, it is because the US has a military base in the country being visited or one close by and that the country being visited is considered a high risk so more hands will be needed. But for marines to always be on the protection detail, that I don't agree with

2 Likes

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by lexy2014: 3:49pm On Jan 28, 2022
Meninmen:

Marines are not soldiers because they are not under the Army!.

Marines are Marines. Same way a soldier is a soldier and an Air Force personnel is an airforce personnel.

I was waiting for your response as regards your source. Let me clear the air.

There are 3 dictionary meanings of the word soldier:
1. A member of the army
2. An enlisted member of any branch of the military
3. A person who takes up arms to defend his or her country in a time of war.

From the above definitions, US marines are soldiers. I stand to be corrected

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by BabaIbo: 3:57pm On Jan 28, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Best answer yet. And you’re right.

Everything regarding US Presidential procedures has a specific protocol, rhyme, and as does foreign policy.

The President is employed by the American citizens and as a whole, we have no issues with our taxes dollars being used to protect the person responsible for protecting our interests.

Lexy2014 read this response and read what he responded to.

When he said they don't have any business with White House, what is he trying to say?

If someone says something and you affirmed it, what does that mean? It means that is also your opinion if you're allowed to speak or write on it.
Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by BabaIbo: 4:08pm On Jan 28, 2022
Praxis758:
The US president does not travell with those security agents you mentioned.

It's only the Secret Service that is constitutionally mandated to secure and protect the US presidency.

No military, police or FBI has business with White House affairs.

Bro, you're wrong especially with that last part!

Search for us army website and read more on their relationship or duties with the president's foreign trips.

It will be better to get enlightened than having this kind of argument.

When they say Security Service are the ones responsible for the president's security, it is because it is their main duty i.e they are created for that, unlike the military and others that have other major duties but that doesn't mean they are not involved in the president's foreign trip one way or the other.
They work together to achieve the president's protection or security especially outside the country.

Some are visible i.e you see them close to OR around the president, while some are invisible i.e they work from distant/afar places, you will only see them when the need arise but they are always on alert immediately the president's trip begins.

My point here is on US President's foreign trips.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by lexy2014: 4:09pm On Jan 28, 2022
BabaIbo:

Lexy2014 read this response and read what he responded to.

When he said they don't have any business with White House, what is he trying to say?

If someone says something and you affirmed it, what does that mean? It means that is also your opinion if you're allowed to speak or write on it.

I don't see where 1stgenamerican said what u said he said. It was the guy he responded to that said it. So maybe your link about WHTA should have been for the guy he responded to. What the istgen guy agreed to was highlighted and that's what he emphasised

1 Like

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by BabaIbo: 4:13pm On Jan 28, 2022
lexy2014:

I don't see where 1stgenamerican said what u said he said. It was the guy he responded to that said it. So maybe your link about WHTA should have been for the guy he responded to. What the istgen guy agreed to was highlighted and that's what he emphasised

Using the highlighted part and focusing on the word "Only," my question is are they the only one involved in it like he is painting it to be?

Remember OP didn't say they are not the ones with the sole responsibility for that but his argument is that others are involved one way or the other which is true.

1 Like

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by lexy2014: 4:22pm On Jan 28, 2022
BabaIbo:

Using the highlighted part and focusing on the word "Only," my question is are they the only one involved in it like he is painting it to be?

Remember OP didn't say they are not the ones with the sole responsibility for that but his argument is that others are involved one way or the other which is true.

Bros, like I told u earlier, I am yet to see the things u are accusing 1stgenamerican of doing. U are trying to make a case where there is none and so far, u haven't been able to prove that case. Maybe u guys have a history, I don't no but I haven't seen anything he said that is wrong. For your WHTA link, I have directed u to whom you should share the link with

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does US President Travel With So Many Soldiers and cars To other Countries? by God1000(m): 4:36pm On Jan 28, 2022
BabaIbo:

don't mind those pig headed folks here, they are talking about things they don't know.

When it comes to protecting the president whether at home or abroad, it involves inter agency security operation.

Some information are classified, you don't expect them to tell you everything.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Thomas Massie Posts Christmas Family Photo With Members Holding Assault Weapons / Gulafroz Ebtekar: Taliban Fighters Beat Courageous Female Officer In Afghanistan / Hamas Announces It Will Begin Executing Hostages On Live Broadcasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.