Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida (7615 Views)

Ministerial Confirmation: No Court Injunction Stopping Amaechi’s Screening – APC / Tinubu Demands Apology From Saraki, Dogara On National Dailies - Vanguard / No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by TM2: 3:11pm On Jun 24, 2011
Under normal condition we shouldnt just leave those people there and allow them share all our money and we are just pointing at one man. One man cant save us! We need to fight for justice. i.e. everyone that is a part of this should be make an account.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 24, 2011
nonsense! nothing is interest! he is a criminal! he heads  them! what silly comment of 'its no government money' he deserve persecuting and this is not the only case and he is even talking! anyway i dont blame him,may be the efcc who couldnt even get a strong fact to and persecute him!
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by bay77: 3:34pm On Jun 24, 2011
may be the efcc who couldnt even get a strong fact to and persecute him

Exactly, we only feel or know as the case may be that he is wrong. But they havent come up with enough fact to convict him obviously.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by WisdomV: 3:37pm On Jun 24, 2011
hehehe,  this is both educative and entertaining.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by Bensonite: 4:14pm On Jun 24, 2011
X-factoria:

Bioye, I insist you need to be schooled. See the bolded phrase in excerpt from the article you refeered me to and tell me what it means:

Fresh facts which emerged at the weekend concerning the N10billion loan scandal in the House of Reresentatives that just ended its tenure suggest that the sourcing which resulted in the present situation was the product of an executive session where members insisted on enhancing their allowances.

And whereas former Speaker Dimeji Bankole is the one facing the fire, Sunday Vanguard is now in possession of documents which show that the genesis of the hoopla was an executive session of the House of Representatives on Thursday March 25, 2010, where Hon. Aminu Tambuwal briefed the House regarding the "restiveness of members and the possible crisis that may erupt in the House because of the issue of enhanced allowances that members have been clamoring for".

The two major resolutions of that executive session was the agreement to pass the 2010 budget and the briefing by Tambuwal who was said to have made a very passionate plea for the upward review "so that members would be happier". It was based on that briefing that the House set up a 37-member committee, with members drawn from each state of the federation and the FCT.

The following week, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, another executive session held and the committee reported back, whereupon it was agreed that each member should, from January 1, 2010, be paid N42 million quarterly as running cost as against the former running cost of N22 million.

Also, based on the plethora of correspondences between the Deputy Director of Finance and Administration, DDFA, National Assembly Management, Speaker Bankole and the Clerk of the House, Sani Omolori, Sunday Vanguard discovered that the funds in question were expended on the agreed enhanced allowances for members.

The new running cost that was approved by the executive session of March 30, 2010, is as follows:

Speaker, N100m

Deputy Speaker, N80m

House Leader, N60m

Dep. House Leader, N57.5m

Chief Whip, N55m

Dep. Chief Whip, N54.5m

Minority Leader, N54.5m

Minority Whip, N50m

Dep. Minority Leader, N50m

Dep. Minority Whip, N50m

In fact, members, at that session, also decided that money should be earmarked for the payment of outstanding allowances for members from 1999 - 2007, and that money should also be set aside for selected services as follows:

Committee Secretariat

House Admin

Insurance

Chamber Services

The executive session of that day was presided over by Deputy Speaker Nafada. It was, nonetheless, a decision of the whole House, which meant the speaker was also included.

Interestingly, however, to meet the payment for the new running cost for members, the leadership of the House resorted to borrowing money. N2.5billion was borrowed from the management of the National Assembly.

X-factoria,
I guess you did not only schooled Bioye but a good number of readers. My worry is we have a constitutional problem that allow this guys to make illegal resolutions to enrich their pocket.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jun 24, 2011
Nigeria don spoil beyond repair

"All those etitled to 38Billion naira got it?"
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by werter1: 4:28pm On Jun 24, 2011
imagine
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by jjc213(m): 4:30pm On Jun 24, 2011
how can kerosine be scarce
in an oil producing nation
with abundance of
petroleum and too much
crude oil. If u go down
south, their rivers are made
of crude oil. Their wells, no
water but crude oil. The
backyard of your house, no
grass but black oil every
where u go. What then is
responisble for the rise in
the price of fuel. If it is not
that Nigeria has tied it's
resources to this sector.
Our revenue now depends
on petroleum products.
That is not enough to be
fed-up, SUICIDE
BOMBINGS. The security in
Nigeria is so low that it was
to easy to bomb a Police-
Headquaters with out
being caught. A Police-
Headquater should be one
of the safest place. But is
clear now that they can
bomb anywhere they feel.
Pls what is our country
turning to? Is there any
difference between Nigeria
and the Middle-east
(Iraq,Afghanistan)? How
could Nigerians now be
terrorists, to themselves!
the state of the nation is
getting out of hand. I
heard President Jonathan is
"negotiating" with Boko
Haram, WHERE IN THE
WORLD HAVE YOU SEEN
THE GOVERNMENT
NEGOTIATING WITH
TERRORISTS?? it is outright
wrong! it is not done. They
said our president is scared
and wants the bombings to
stop. The terrorist will now
have a say. And after using
the billion given to them to
fund more explosives,
ammunition and some
more suphisticated artillery,
all they have to do is just
threaten that they'll bomb
again, simple. It's that easy.
If i join them i'll be rich,
because Nigeria has money
but are spending in the
wrong way. Note that the
Boko Haram -bombing was
not the first, there have
been other bombings
followed by a series of
threats, even MEND
owned-up that they were
responsible for these
terrorist attacks and at the
end of the day, an amnesty
programme, they're
pockets filled, they went
home happy. And when
they succeed squandering
those billions wont they
come back asking for
more?
The power supply,
electricity, it is bad that our
President Jonathan would
go out and purchase two
different million-dollar($)
private jets for his own
interest. Do you have any
idea how much one of
those jets would cost in
Naira? Billions! All he had
to do was apologise to us
after the deed had been
done, -'medicine after
death'. He should attend to
us, his nation. If he directed
that sum of money into
the power sector alone
there must have been a
change. Information i
gathered explains that as
long as Nigeria has tied her
resources to the petroleum
products produced they
must be a short suppy of
electricity. Have ever
counted the number of
generators burning fuel, if
u hear the amount most
factories and industries
spend on diesel in a week,
the amount is very
shocking, but where those
this money go, the money
spent on these petroleum
products, if Nigeria were to
'mistakenly' supply
electricity for 24hrs the
nation will go broke.
A change is what we need.
It doesn't have to be
voilent. Two wrongs cant
make a right. We should
not fight fire with fire but
with water, Love with hate.
There will be a protest,
next month, a PEACEFUL-
protest. We would be
marching with card-boards
in our hands demanding
for a change. You will see
us on tv but i expect that u
join us. And if you have any
other way which our voices
may be heard kindly drop a
suggestion here. A solution.
An idea. Thank you. One
nation under God, -GOD
BLESS NIGERIA, Amen.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 24, 2011
@bensonite
The new running cost that was approved by the executive session of March 30, 2010, is as follows:

Speaker, N100m

Deputy Speaker, N80m

House Leader, N60m

Dep. House Leader, N57.5m

Chief Whip, N55m

Dep. Chief Whip, N54.5m

Minority Leader, N54.5m

Minority Whip, N50m

Dep. Minority Leader, N50m

Dep. Minority Whip, N50m
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked :ois that monthly or yearly?
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by WisdomV: 4:48pm On Jun 24, 2011
Where is the rest of the money that is not 38B naira. What of others? Is Bankole being tried for bad judgement or corruption?
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by WisdomV: 4:50pm On Jun 24, 2011
Do people earn that much in Nigeria? How much does the president earn? Maybe this figure is even small.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by bay77: 4:51pm On Jun 24, 2011
They said the president knew about it before it was signed, so his salary or allowance must be more than that. In fact, far more.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by WisdomV: 4:52pm On Jun 24, 2011
bay77:

They said the president knew about it before it was signed, so his salary or allowance must be more than that. In fact, far more.

Yes o! That is the only reason he can sign such. Logically.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by TM2: 4:56pm On Jun 24, 2011
WisdomV:

Yes o! That is the only reason he can sign such. Logically.

People arent looking at the bigger picture, anyway, this money is big enough to blind us. And someone asked if it is monthly or annually. I still need answer to that. And I need figures about spending at the senate and presidency. Plus the governors, too.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 24, 2011
is that monthly or yearly? i cant get it?
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by bay77: 5:06pm On Jun 24, 2011
Even me I cant understand. And I need a solid proof that this is not how the money go round all the tiers of government.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by bioye(m): 5:17pm On Jun 24, 2011
X-factoria:

Bioye, I insist you need to be schooled. See the bolded phrase in excerpt from the article you refeered me to and tell me what it means:

Fresh facts which emerged at the weekend concerning the N10billion loan scandal in the House of Reresentatives that just ended its tenure suggest that the sourcing which resulted in the present situation was the product of an executive session where members insisted on enhancing their allowances.

-------

Speaker, N100m

Deputy Speaker, N80m

-------

The executive session of that day was presided over by Deputy Speaker Nafada. It was, nonetheless, a decision of the whole House, which meant the speaker was also included.

X-Factoria!  Stop imisinforming people!

The bone of contention here is Executive Session abi?  What does it mean?!  Executive Session is a House session where all proceedings are closed door, secret, and unrecorded.  No minutes are taken. There is NOTHING that says only principal officers attend.  All members attend and decisions are made based on simple majority.  The only difference between Executive Session and  Plenary is the secrecy.  Source: Executive session.

Meanwhile, from the article, you confirm that the House was presided over by Nafada not even Bankole and yet you insist Bankole is responsible for the actions of the House.

Meanwhile, though Bankole's quarterly allowance is N100m and Nafada's is N80m, this was the allowance before they became the presiding officers and it remained unchanged after the increase in allowances.  Hence, their allowances were 100% legal and was not determined by them.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by bioye(m): 5:26pm On Jun 24, 2011
Toaskarity:

is that monthly or yearly? i cant get it?

The money is quarterly. The allowances are used to run their[b] constituency offices and covers accommodation, vehicle loan, furniture, wardrobe, vehicle maintenance, entertainment, recess, constituency, personal assistants, domestic staff, utility, severance, newspaper, and house maintenance.
[/b]
At present, each member of the House of Representatives is entitled to[b] quarterly allowances of about N42 million[/b], while that of the senators is reportedly about N60 million.

On the other hand, a member of the House is on annual basic salary of N1,985,212.50; while each senator [/b]takes an annual basic salary of [b]N2,026,400.00.

Source:Banks ply incoming lawmakers with loan offers
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by WisdomV: 5:42pm On Jun 24, 2011
@Bioye, Thanks for clarifying this and it is good to know that your arguments were researched. I just believe that people should know the facts of this matter and not be fed with one side of the story. If the allowance has always been that way, why is is being published and circulated, are they just getting to know that it is much?
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by WisdomV: 5:45pm On Jun 24, 2011
And we need an "executive session" to discuss this further. And proceed to Abuja with one voice! Whose definition do we go with? Bioye's or X-factoria's? Nairalanders please decide.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by bay77: 5:48pm On Jun 24, 2011
WisdomV:

And we need an "executive session" to discuss this further. And proceed to Abuja with one voice! Whose definition do we go with? Bioye's or X-factoria's? Nairalanders please decide.

LOL going by the definition from Wikipedea, we go with Bioye. But some people argue that Wikipedea is not the best source of information. But it is sure better than Sahara Reporters. LOL
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by Xfactoria: 5:55pm On Jun 24, 2011
bioye:

X-Factoria!  Stop imisinforming people!

The bone of contention here is Executive Session abi?  What does it mean?!  Executive Session is a House session where all proceedings are closed door, secret, and unrecorded.  No minutes are taken. There is NOTHING that says only principal officers attend.  All members attend and decisions are made based on simple majority.  The only difference between Executive Session and  Plenary is the secrecy.  Source: Executive session.

Meanwhile, from the article, you confirm that the House was presided over by Nafada not even Bankole and yet you insist Bankole is responsible for the actions of the House.

Meanwhile, though Bankole's quarterly allowance is N100m and Nafada's is N80m, this was the allowance before they became the presiding officers and it remained unchanged after the increase in allowances.  Hence, their allowances were 100% legal and was not determined by them.

You better swallow your pride and accept that you goofed. See the part in bold from excerpt from your Wikipedia source:

" The term "executive session" is still employed to refer to closed-door committee meetings, whether or not they are considering executive business."

"More generally, an executive session is a term for any block within an otherwise public meeting (often of a board of directors) in which minutes are not taken, outsiders are not present, and the contents of the discussion are treated as confidential. (See In camera.)"

So can you see that it is not used to refer to an all-comers affair

You seem to be a hasty reader. Next time, when you are reading stuffs, try to study the tone to get a better understanding. Cheers.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by Xfactoria: 5:58pm On Jun 24, 2011
WisdomV:

@Bioye, Thanks for clarifying this and it is good to know that your arguments were researched. I just believe that people should know the facts of this matter and not be fed with one side of the story. If the allowance has always been that way, why is is being published and circulated, are they just getting to know that it is much?

Are you this gullible? That source started with the original use and went further to tell you what is the generally accepted use now. Did you read it at all or you are also a hasty reader like Bioye
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by WisdomV: 6:11pm On Jun 24, 2011
X-factoria:

Are you this gullible? That source started with the original use and went further to tell you what is the generally accepted use now. Did you read it at all or you are also a hasty reader like Bioye

Hi X-Fatoria, you have seemed to speak intelligently since, though filled with erroneous information and now you are about to start irritating me. You are taking this too personal, fine, you are a good Nigerian and I am not, if you should think so. But let me tell you, if you were sure about the meaning of Executive Session, you wouldnt need to click on Bioye's link. I admire the fact that Bioye substantiated his claims, he took time out to research and then feed us with something that is closer to the truth.

Now let me tell you, I also checked the link, and I can tell you the in that passage the term was used in two scenarios. The first paragraph referred to house of assembly, as if they knew that is our subject,  and if you need to check again, they meant the house members special session, and not a part of it. The second paragraph talked more generally about corporate organization, those, probably with executive directors, and their meetings are referred to as executive session.

I wont want to go further to teach about comprehension. But next time you feel defeated, just accept it. and this revelation at least doesnt flaw your arguments in entirety.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by bioye(m): 6:38pm On Jun 24, 2011
WisdomV:

Where is the rest of the money that is not 38B naira. What of others? Is Bankole being tried for bad judgement or corruption?

Actually the 358  members (Speaker and Deputy not included) each collected N14m additional allowance per quarter for the last 2 quarters of 2010 totalling N28m per member. N28m multiplied by 358 is N10,024,000,000.00 (N10bn and N24m).

The alleged loans are:

1. N5,485,050,000.00 - August 2010* (Recurrent Expenditure) - UBA overdraft that was repaid when CBN released allocations for that month.
2. N6,000,000,000.00 - October 2010 - borrowed from UBA as part of N10bn allowance increase.
3. N4,054,000,000.00 - November 2010 -  borrowed from UBA as part of N10bn allowance increase

4. N10,380,000,000.00 - January 2011* - double reporting by EFCC.  The clerk included the N10.3bn in the budget at this time.
5. N12,000,000,000.00 - May 2011 - borrowed from First Bank with interest after UBA refused to release the House's allocation for May to cover the loan.

all amounting to: 37,919,252,000 (N37.9bn).

Right now, it's safe to say the House of Reps owes only N12bn (First Bank) while the other loans have been repaid.  This N12bn loan is factored into the 2011 budget and has been signed by the President.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by 1025: 6:45pm On Jun 24, 2011
yes ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, nobody fit do am anything. after all, everybody is a thief here in nigeria. why are they behaving as if they are better than him. jonathan wife no thief? obasanjo and his daughter no thief? tony annenih no thief? ribadu and el rufai no thief? who among them no thief? who is in pdp wey never thief before?
i was listening to Pastor Tunde Bakare the other day and he made it clear that nothing will happen to bank-ole because if he feels bad, he will mention names. they are petting him and he will soon organize a five star thanksgiving where you will see who is who in the nigeria thiefing industry.
shame to joe, shame to pdp and shame to nigerian democracy since 1999. fresh air my foot.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by damipaul(m): 6:50pm On Jun 24, 2011
Nairaland!
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by Xfactoria: 6:56pm On Jun 24, 2011
WisdomV:

Hi X-Fatoria, you have seemed to speak intelligently since, though filled with erroneous information and now you are about to start irritating me. You are taking this too personal, fine, you are a good Nigerian and I am not, if you should think so. But let me tell you, if you were sure about the meaning of Executive Session, you wouldnt need to click on Bioye's link. I admire the fact that Bioye substantiated his claims, he took time out to research and then feed us with something that is closer to the truth.

Now let me tell you, I also checked the link, and I can tell you the in that passage the term was used in two scenarios. The first paragraph referred to house of assembly, as if they knew that is our subject,  and if you need to check again, they meant the house members special session, and not a part of it. The second paragraph talked more generally about corporate organization, those, probably with executive directors, and their meetings are referred to as executive session.

I wont want to go further to teach about comprehension. But next time you feel defeated, just accept it. and this revelation at least doesnt flaw your arguments in entirety.

I am not in a contest, so victory or defeat does not arise. However, I disagree with Bioye's interpretation or definition of executive session. As rightly put by Wikipedia and also succinthly put by (http://legacy.c-span.org/guide/congress/glossary/execsesh.htm), It is a closed or secret floor or committee session. I highlighted the latter part of that definition because that is what is applicable in the case at hand.

Bankole for whatever reason and many members of the house were not at the meeting. It was not an all-comers meeting. It was a meeting of a block of house members which I presumed to be Principal Officers. As some papers reported it correctly:

"The executive session of that day was presided over by Deputy Speaker Nafada. It was, nonetheless, a decision of the whole House, which meant the speaker was also included".

The part in bold suggested clearly that it was not the whole house meeting but the decision was binding on the whole house. Note the word nonetheless.

bioye's assertion that the fact that it was a closed door meeting is what makes it executive session is not correct. An executive session cannot have all members in attendance but only those that matters. Period!
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by bioye(m): 7:12pm On Jun 24, 2011
X-factoria:

I am not in a contest, so victory or defeat does not arise. However, I disagree with Bioye's interpretation or definition of executive session. As rightly put by Wikipedia and also succinthly put by (http://legacy.c-span.org/guide/congress/glossary/execsesh.htm), It is a closed or secret floor or committee session. I highlighted the latter part of that definition because that is what is applicable in the case at hand.

Bankole for whatever reason and many members of the house were not at the meeting. It was not an all-comers meeting. It was a meeting of a block of house members which I presumed to be Principal Officers. As some papers reported it correctly:

"The executive session of that day was presided over by Deputy Speaker Nafada. It was, nonetheless, a decision of the whole House, which meant the speaker was also included".

The part in bold suggested clearly that it was not the whole house meeting but the decision was binding on the whole house. Note the word nonetheless.

bioye's assertion that the fact that it was a closed door meeting is what makes it executive session is not correct. An executive session cannot have all members in attendance but only those that matters. Period!

Bankole was away for an engagement in University of Ibadan at the time thence the Deputy Speaker presided over all sessions for that day including Plenary and Executive.  Also, it is[b] impossible for all members to be present at any sitting[/b] be it plenary or executive session.  Are you saying when the President presents the budget to the House in an Executive Session, only principal officers are present? Of course NOT!

However, the jury is still out on whether an executive session is only for principal officers or all members present.  Meanwhile, note that a committee meeting is not an executive session as products of committee meetings are at best recommendations and not resolutions.  Well,I guess only a Nigerian Legislator can define an executive session beyond reasonable doubt from experience.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by Xfactoria: 7:13pm On Jun 24, 2011
bioye:

4. N10,380,000,000.00 - January 2011* - double reporting by EFCC.  The clerk included the N10.3bn in the budget at this time.

This N12bn loan is factored into the 2011 budget and has been signed by the President.

Factored into the budget under which expense head Or was it stated as "borrowings - to pay increased allowance"??

You see, that is where the criminality lies. They must have concealed it under one frivolous expense. That in itself is criminal and Bankole is busy making mouth that he can't be convicted!!
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by Ad4(m): 7:17pm On Jun 24, 2011
This is a democracy,Bankole could do little to save the situation.If the house wanted more money,they could get it.Bankole was elected to lead the house not to rule over them!There's truely something wrong with the system and we need to address it.
Re: N38b: No Court Can Try Me - Bankole; Demands Apology From Farida by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 24, 2011
Bankole is right, like someone said.

The reason why EFCC arent on the billions found in Bankole's acct is because that money was shared amongst out politicians. To arrest Bankole for that crime, many of them will also be charged.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

LATEST NEWS ON EBOLA OUTBREAK!!! / Police Prevents IPOB From Beating John Nnia Nwodo In A Hotel In Spain (Pics) / Sanwo-Olu: Funds Spent By Governors On Security I Enough To Finance State Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.