Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,671 members, 7,837,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! (8617 Views)

Ministerial Nominee, Kayode Fayemi John’s CV / Behold PMB 21 Ministerial Nominee / Ministerial List: See List Of Speculated Nominees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by cvibe: 12:17pm On Jul 04, 2011
Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. With too much English, she mite end up like the former house of reps speaker.
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by otokx(m): 12:42pm On Jul 04, 2011
Zainab Maina
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by Rhea(f): 12:49pm On Jul 04, 2011
[size=14pt]This thread should give us no excuse to abuse each other's ethnicity as we often do. Nigeria is a multi-ethnic country. It will be a daunting task if all the ministers were to address the public in their respective mother tongues. That is why we have an official language (English). 'Official' does not make it superior. It just makes it official. A minister is a government official. She should know how to communicate with Nigerians (and foreigners too!)

We should not be making any excuses for her, more so since she is about to serve an administration that has made English literature mandatory for all secondary school students.[/size]
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by koyaabj: 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2011
People of nija dont worry very soon they will soon put forward the name of one of their cow for ministerial appointment,

afterall some were said to have registered their cow during voters regisration.

political patronage in the work. allah kia aa grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by osikhueme(f): 3:54pm On Jul 04, 2011
I watched that interview and was really shocked when they asked her to take a bow without any questions!!
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by kay9(m): 4:11pm On Jul 04, 2011
@osikhueme,

No need to be shocked mate; crazier things have been known to happen in this beloved nation. Didn't they almost make the baboon that said we should all ride bicycles the SSG? Haven't we had an ex-con parading himself in the streets as a hero? And haven't we had the country ruled by a dying president's "kitchen cabinet"? I mean, with wonderful fantastic stories like these, a minister that couldn't string together an English sentence if her life depended on it is just a moonlight tale. . .

So frankly mate, lose the shocked look - we've seen it all before.
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by 1025: 5:53pm On Jul 04, 2011
if our first lady is a disaster in that field, what is wrong in having a minister that takes after her? the head is in trouble so also will the tail.
we are in for fresh air 2011 with jonathan/sambo as driver and conductor respectively so anything that we see in the process is fresh.
pdp is built on thuggery so qualifications are mostly based on how radically u won over ur community for pdp and not the other way round.
chris uba of anambra state, late adedibu of oyo state are all great examples of pdp henchmen so let that woman be pls.
all the arms that are in work under the leadership of all these militant groups were genuinely imported by the pdp mafian groups to muscle out oppositions and the consequences are what we have in mend, kidnappers and boko haram.
we are in for another four wasteful years of our lives.
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by juman(m): 7:27pm On Jul 04, 2011
She is the choice of her people. She is good enough to be a minister.

The woman was "former President of the National Council for Women Societies (NCWS), and a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Board of Trustees (BoT). She is the only female member of the PDP BoT."
http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=518:more-ministerial-nominees-scale-senate-hurdle&Itemid=

"Hajiya Zainab Maina was a commissioner in the defunct Gongola State under the military regime of late Colonel A.G Hussein"
http://indepthafrica.com/nigeria/featured/jonathan%E2%80%99s-cabinet-the-nominees/

The woman will go to ministry that she can handle.
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by deadie(m): 7:31pm On Jul 04, 2011
I do not understand HOW people could defend a minister who cannot speak English with the flimsy argument that English is an adopted language. Here are a few points:

1. English is the ONLY national language in Nigeria, so EVERY person who is to serve at the national level should be able to communicate very well in English.
2. English is the language of instruction in schools, thus it is right to assume that one who cannot speak English well is not well educated, or was A BAD student.
In a country of over 150 million, it will thus be a shame that we cannot find persons who are educated enough to occupy the less than 50 ministerial posts. It is even more shameful reading people defending semi-iliterates occupying such positions. I don't know about you, but I want my leaders to be smarter than me.
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by fegflu: 11:59pm On Jul 04, 2011
Y must a foriegn language b a standard language for communicatn in dis country. They west look at ur traditional languages as inferior- and u r here supportin their english as superior. U r all slaves. And u wil remain slaves. Idiot
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by swiftycool(m): 9:02am On Jul 05, 2011
fegflu:

Y must a foriegn language b a standard language for communicatn in dis country. They west look at your traditional languages as inferior- and u r here supportin their english as superior. U r all slaves. And u wil remain slaves.
Y did d Naija govt make English major perequsite 4 university education. Is she even a graduate? in what language was she taught, did she submit a project? pls stop supporting mediocrity!
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by sirjec(m): 12:04pm On Jul 05, 2011
swiftycool:

Y did d Naija govt make English major perequsite 4 university education. Is she even a graduate? in what language was she taught, did she submit a project? pls stop supporting mediocrity!

We have a lot of dialects in Nigeria so we chose a common language called lingual franca. If it were a country of only one tribe, English would not have been made compulsory. Since it is a means to communicate with every tribe, it is imperative everybody who should have a national position be rated on English first. To me she is not qualified
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by passionate88: 12:13pm On Jul 05, 2011
Imagine, She is from the north, "Northin" Good can come out from the NORTH. tongue
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by nagoma(m): 12:20pm On Jul 05, 2011
She may not speak Queens english but Zainab Maina was the best leader the Natinal Coucil of women Societies had. During her tenure the women (south, West, East ,North ) worked very well with her and somehow communicated with her. Other times even when a lady professor was the leader of that organizations it was always squables , quarrels and upheavals.
But the most important point here is that Mrs. Maina, clearly an intuitive woman ,never waivered about Jonathan (although she is from the same state with Atiku and with Buhari's wife).
A gret mobilizer of women(especially)  must have brought more votes to Jonathan than any other male or females in the North including Dr. Tafida. She probably gave more votes to Jonathan than all those additional ballots he got from the returning officers in the SE. That I think is why she is a Minister.
I believe GEJ himself or his better half selected Mrs Maina.
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by nagoma(m): 12:22pm On Jul 05, 2011
She may not speak Queens english but Zainab Maina was the best leader the National Coucil of women Societies had. During her tenure the women (south, West, East ,North ) worked very well with her and somehow communicated with her. Other times even when a lady professor was the leader of that organizations it was always squables , quarrels and upheavals.
But the most important point here is that Mrs. Maina, clearly an intuitive woman ,never waivered about Jonathan's presdency bid (although she is from the same state with Atiku and with Buhari's wife).
A great mobilizer of women(especially) she must have brought more votes to Jonathan than any other male or females in the North including Dr. Tafida. She probably gave more votes to Jonathan than all those additional ballots he got from the returning officers in the SE. That ,I think is why she is a Minister.
I believe GEJ himself or his better half selected Mrs Maina.
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by deadie(m): 6:15pm On Jul 05, 2011
fegflu:

Y must a foriegn language b a standard language for communicatn in dis country. They west look at your traditional languages as inferior- and u r here supportin their english as superior. U r all slaves. And u wil remain slaves.

You are definitely a mo.ron. I wonder why your post on was not in your local language. I also wonder if you can write and read the over 250 languages that are said to be spoken in Nigeria.
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by emmydee(m): 11:40am On Jul 06, 2011
sometimes i wonder if the people in leadership position in nigeria are truly Nigerians.how can d govt close its eyes on huge cases of corruption as public funds are being wasted? may b we should split d country into 12 for a start.
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by nagoma(m): 11:54am On Jul 06, 2011
@ emmydee; Good observation. How does your solution help?
Re: Ministerial Nominee Cant Speak English! by Mwankpy: 7:09am On Jul 08, 2011
I guess Rhino knows the taste of "fresh fart poo. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Insists On Ban Of NURTW. "We Will Comply"-NURTW / Alao Akala, Former Oyo State Gov Defects To APC? / Rotimi Amaechi : You See Your Life? Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.