Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,354 members, 7,836,448 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 (6492 Views)

Materials On JW And The Watchtower Society / "Is The Watchtower Organisation A Trustworthy Interpreter Of Scripture?" / What You Need To Know About Confession Of Sins From 1 John 1:9 - Gabriel Okocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:26pm On May 21, 2022
cornelboy:

Mr trio, use your OLAADEGBU moniker to expose us cheesy cheesy

Àbí o!
After all he's been using it against JWs no be today! cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by Emusan(m): 7:33pm On May 21, 2022
MaxInDHouse:
Àbí o!
After all he's been using it against JWs no be today! cheesy

OLAADEGBU is actually a thorn in your throat grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by achorladey: 7:33pm On May 21, 2022
cornelboy:
Mr intelligence asking unreasonable questions cheesy cheesy

MaxInDHouse na you be this cornelboy dey talk about oooo. Abi you no be Mr intelligence again? grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 12:05am On May 22, 2022
cornelboy:

MaxinDhouse, when I first saw this, I had a feeling that Emusan is also johnw47.

so you false jw cornboy are as paranoid as mad max, incredible
but then you do all have the same line of thought, don't you, of course your thoughts and feelings are from the devil:

Joh 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, that is his natural way of speaking, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

3 Likes

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 12:07am On May 22, 2022
cornelboy:
Emusan is distinct from johnw47 and OLAADEGBU but yet one person.
Your a perfect trinity.

cheesy grin

Ecclesiastes 7:6
For as the crackling of thorns under a pot, so is the laughter of the fool

1 Like

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 12:16am On May 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

It's the same person!
He uses the OLAADEGBU account to preach Kumuyi but the other Emusan and johnw47 is to attack JWs.
I never thought of this until Emusan said i asked him a question that i never asked him rather it was meant for OLAADEGBU, and the funny thing is i've been avoiding Emusan and Johnw47 since i noticed both are only interested in blind arguments.
Then one thing i realized now is that the man behind the three accounts can't debate using scriptures skillfully, he only try to engage JWs then the other two accounts will show up as if they're from someone else only to support with blind arguments based on dogmatic ideas? wink

After i discovered the OLAADEGBU, Emusan account johnw47 came from nowhere trying to say it's not the same person but then foolishly justifying the use of multiple accounts! wink

job 15:12 Why doth thine heart carry thee away? and what do thy eyes wink at

lost and paranoid false jw mad max

like i keep saying and like you keep proving
you are as mad as they come, it's from believing jw org. and watchtower

forever paranoid and forever the liar, and loving it
just like your daddy the devil:

Joh 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, that is his natural way of speaking, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 12:27am On May 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

There's one thing that's like a miracle on this forum!
Only JWs don't disagree on scriptural topics {John 17:22; 1Corinthians 1:10} but as for all others on this forum they're always at loggerheads! Luke 11:23
This OLAADEGBU, Emusan, johnw47 accounts really did a smart job, in fact my intelligence was beaten. It's just now that i began studying his threads. Most pentecostals don't agree with Deeperlifers but Emusan and johnw47 never argued against OLAADEGBU for once.
In fact they're the ones that will show up anytime critics come to OLAADEGBU's thread! smiley

My brother nothing Musa no go see for gate o! smiley

your intelligence is still beaten, for you to believe you are intelligent is great delusion

u of course r forever the liar/deceiver, on the way to making your new recruit twice the child of hell as yourself:

Mat_23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 12:44am On May 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

No wahala Mr OLAADEGBU-johnw47, i've heard you! cheesy

For as the crackling of thorns under a pot, so is the laughter of the fool:

pity you cannot see too:

I Corinthians 4:4
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 12:46am On May 22, 2022
cornelboy:

cheesy cheesy

false jw cornboy

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 12:53am On May 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Though i've been ignoring both accounts (johnw47 and Emusan) and now i know where they belong, so anytime they show up against JW matter na Kumuyi dey talk! cheesy

^^ lost false jw mad max

of course you care nothing for God's word
you will go on lying til you are thrown into the Lake Of Fire
and cornboy alongside you
Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 12:56am On May 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

No wahala Mr OLAADEGBU-johnw47! grin

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 12:58am On May 22, 2022
cornelboy:
MaxinDhouse wait. Johnw47 and OLAADEGBU are still coming to defend themselves.

Three but one cheesy cheesy cheesy

false jw cornboy

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 1:03am On May 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

He always reserve the OLAADEGBU account as if that one only preaches for Kumuyi but you know he can only fool some people sometimes he can't fool all the people all the time!

His attitude towards negative comments is the same, OLAADEGBU, Emusan, johnw47 won't hesitate to exchange hurtful words with you anytime you say something that's against what Kumuyi infused in his head! wink

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 1:05am On May 22, 2022
cornelboy:

Mr trio, use your OLAADEGBU moniker to expose us cheesy cheesy

false jw cornboy

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 1:11am On May 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

There's one thing that's like a miracle on this forum!

so your paranoia is like a miracle
u so deluded, aren't you

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 1:22am On May 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Do you know how God's Holy Spirit do expose liars?
Walahi talahi there's miracles on Nairaland! cheesy

you actually give God's Holy Spirit credit for your paranoia and lies that olladegbu and emusan and i are the same person, amazing
but then how many times can you be lost:

Mat 12:32  And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it will be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.
Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by cornelboy(f): 5:40am On May 22, 2022
johnw47:

false jw cornboy
Not using emoji with this moniker can't hide you Mr trio grin cheesy
Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by cornelboy(f): 5:42am On May 22, 2022
johnw47:

so you false jw cornboy are as paranoid as mad max, incredable
but then you do all have the same line of thought, don't you, of course your thoughts and feelings are from the devil:
My thoughts are my thoughts Mr trio. Not of anybody cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 5:48am On May 22, 2022
cornelboy:

My thoughts are my thoughts Mr trio. Not of anybody cheesy cheesy

false jw cornboy

your thoughts are of paranoia and lies:

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 5:53am On May 22, 2022
cornelboy:

Not using emoji with this moniker can't hide you Mr trio grin cheesy

false jw cornboy

you can lie to and even fool some people
but you cannot lie to God and fool Him

of course you satan's mob don't care about God seeing your much repeated lies over and over again:

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 10:35am On May 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

OLAADEGBU, Emusan, johnw47 doesn't know the scriptures apart from the little Kumuyi infused in his head about HellFire so don't expect much from him! wink

your constant lying is one of the thing that marks you as belonging to satan the devil:

mad max, you know you are lost, you wouldn't give the credit of your lies to the Holy Spirit otherwise:

u false jw mad max referring to olaadegbu, emusan and i johnw47
being the same person said:

MaxInDHouse:

Do you know how God's Holy Spirit do expose liars?
Walahi talahi there's miracles on Nairaland! cheesy

you made out your accusations/lies are from the Holy Spirit:

Mat 12:32 And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it will be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.

2 Likes

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by achorladey: 11:17am On May 22, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

OLAADEGBU, Emusan, johnw47 doesn't know the scriptures apart from the little Kumuyi infused in his head about HellFire so don't expect much from him! wink

MaxInDHouse doesn't know the scriptures apart from the little which is not even scriptural the 8 men called governing body infused in his head about God having one religious organization doing his will on earth today grin grin grin grin. Does this applies?

In reality we shouldn't expect much from you apart from your usual show me the better performing performance religious group grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by Emusan(m): 12:17pm On May 22, 2022
achorladey:

MaxInDHouse doesn't know the scriptures apart from the little which is not even scriptural the 8 men called governing body infused in his head about God having one religious organization doing his will on earth today grin grin grin grin. Does this applies?

In reality we shouldn't expect much from you apart from your usual show me the better performing performance religious group grin grin grin grin

When he started with his rant of OLAADEGBU is Emusan later Johnw47, I thought he was just joking but looking at his posts after that, show that he really pride in his ignorance to the extend of claiming God's holy spirit is the one that exposed me! grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by achorladey: 12:38pm On May 22, 2022
Emusan:

When he started with his rant of OLAADEGBU is Emusan later Johnw47, I thought he was just joking but looking at his posts after that, show that he really pride in his ignorance to the extend of claiming God's holy spirit is the one that exposed me! grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

He will soon come back and hide behind the saying that he is catching fun here grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:18pm On May 22, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

A Sound Exegesis of the Text

It would be best to look at John 1:1 in parts and taking into account each clause one at a time. Once we understand what the text says and what John meant for it to mean, we can better compare that with what Jehovah’s Witnesses claim about the Person of Christ. What does the Greek say, then?

Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν, καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος.

Now for many, Greek is still Greek. An arrangement of unknown symbols means nothing to the average Christian; but what we would like to do is take you, the reader, through this simple, yet profound verse–one word at a time–and all the while equipping you with the information needed in order to translate properly.

Continue reading here

Clause #1 of John 1:1

First, let’s look at the first clause of the verse:

Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος

If we were to transliterate this Greek clause into English letters, the following would be the outcome:

En archē ēn ho logos

First, it should be noted that this clause is extremely significant and important. Before we begin our in-depth look into the whole of this clause, though, what do these words mean?

First, we will notice the words "En archē" (Ἐν ἀρχῇ). "En" is a preposition, which is translated as "in." Archē, it should be noted, turns out to be an interesting word in light of the overall context of this passage. Archē can mean "a beginning," "first place," and/or "headship."3 It would not be wrong to render this word as "chief."

To better illustrate this word, it might be good to recall the word "archbishop." We’ve often heard this word in church circles and particularly in reference to Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox ecclesiastical hierarchy. The word “archbishop” comes from two corresponding Greek words, namely, archē and episkopos (meaning "bishop" or “overseer”). Therefore, "archbishop" means "chief overseer" or "chief bishop."

So we can see from this example that "archē" is a word that brings the idea of "foundation" or "headship." Within the context of John 1:1, we can better see from these definitions how this might make sense. "In the beginning was the Word . . . " We see that this part of the text refers to the foundation of the universe–that is, to its origin.4 As we can see, the word "archē" actually gives this idea of beginnings a "thicker" meaning than what we English speakers are used to, for it speaks of the "origin" and of the "foundation" of the universe. That is why, given the context of John 1:1, Bible scholars translate "En archē" as "In the beginning."

The next part of the first clause is "ēn ho logos" (Gk: ἦν ὁ λόγος).

The word "ēn" is, no doubt, loaded with significance. It is a verb that conveys a ton of information and insight into the deity of Christ. As noted above, we have, so far, translated "En archē" as “In the beginning." So, we see that, at the start of time, something was going on; or, more specifically, Someone existed. That is where "ēn ho logos" comes in. So what was going on "In the beginning?" We find that Christ was.

But first, what does "ho logos" mean? Logos simply, but very profoundly, means "word." We also know that "the Word" is speaking about Jesus Christ. (It should be noted that all biblical scholars hold to the idea that “the Word” is Christ.)

The verb "ēn" (Gk: ἦν) is in the past tense. It is a third-person singular verb, which means "was." Without going into too much detail, it should be noted that, contrary to the English language, there are a couple of ways of rendering Greek verbs in the past tense.5 The first way is to render a verb in the imperfect tense, and the second way is the aorist tense. William Mounce defines the two tenses:

"The imperfect tense describes a continuous action usually occurring in the past, while the aorist . . . describes an undefined action usually occurring in the past."6

The word “ēn” in John 1:1, by way of Divine inspiration, happens to be in the imperfect tense. This means that “the Word” (i.e., Jesus Christ) was “continuously in existence before the beginning.”7 Furthermore, the imperfect tense of "was" has inherent within it the idea of eternal past existence. That is, there is no beginning to the Word, Jesus Christ.

So far, we have the first clause translated: "In the beginning was the Word . . . " We have seen that, at the beginning or creation of the universe, the Word was already in existence. He was existing at the creation of the universe and was existing continuously into eternity past. How much significance one little Greek verb makes!

1 Like

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 12:54am On May 23, 2022
achorladey:

we have just witnessed the better performing religious group
performing their paranoia and lies over and over again

they so dum those gods people, smile

and mad max even giving The Holy Spirit credit for his paranoia and lies,
so evil:

Mat 12:32 And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it will be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.

Rev_20:15  And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

2 Likes

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 1:40am On May 30, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

No more story!
Cornelboy, can you hear him?
OLAADEGBU, Emusan and johnw47 is the same person o! embarassed

lost false jw mad max

see how you false jw's spread your paranoia and lies all over the place
and then run away, you and cornboy:

rev 21:8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone; which is the second death.

but you are god's people, right! < so pathetic, so evil

false jw, your above post and your one before it were deleted
probably for breaking rule number 8

8. Don't post false information on Nairaland.

those your two posts really do show you up to be as dum as they come,
don't they oh most unintelligent one

2 Likes

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by Janosky: 9:21pm On May 30, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Clause #1 of John 1:1

First, let’s look at the first clause of the verse:

Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος

If we were to transliterate this Greek clause into English letters, the following would be the outcome:

En archē ēn ho logos

First, it should be noted that this clause is extremely significant and important. Before we begin our in-depth look into the whole of this clause, though, what do these words mean?

First, we will notice the words "En archē" (Ἐν ἀρχῇ). "En" is a preposition, which is translated as "in." Archē, it should be noted, turns out to be an interesting word in light of the overall context of this passage. Archē can mean "a beginning," "first place," and/or "headship."3 It would not be wrong to render this word as "chief."

To better illustrate this word, it might be good to recall the word "archbishop." We’ve often heard this word in church circles and particularly in reference to Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox ecclesiastical hierarchy. The word “archbishop” comes from two corresponding Greek words, namely, archē and episkopos (meaning "bishop" or “overseer”). Therefore, "archbishop" means "chief overseer" or "chief bishop."
Rooster and bull GIBBERISH of OLAADEGBU.
OLAADEGBU, Is Archbishop (or head of Bishop) still a Bishop?

John 1:1 simply re-echo Hebrews 1:2,God made the Universe through his Son"
1 Corinthians 8:4 , John 10:34-36, Jesus his son & every Son is a god.
Paul and John NEVER made any claim that Trinitarians attached to John 1:1.

OLAADEGBU:

So we can see from this example that "archē" is a word that brings the idea of "foundation" or "headship." Within the context of John 1:1, we can better see from these definitions how this might make sense. "In the beginning was the Word . . . " We see that this part of the text refers to the foundation of the universe–that is, to its origin.4 As we can see, the word "archē" actually gives this idea of beginnings a "thicker" meaning than what we English speakers are used to, for it speaks of the "origin" and of the "foundation" of the universe. That is why, given the context of John 1:1, Bible scholars translate "En archē" as "In the beginning."

The next part of the first clause is "ēn ho logos" (Gk: ἦν ὁ λόγος).

The word "ēn" is, no doubt, loaded with significance. It is a verb that conveys a ton of information and insight into the deity of Christ. As noted above, we have, so far, translated "En archē" as “In the beginning." So, we see that, at the start of time, something was going on; or, more specifically, Someone existed. That is where "ēn ho logos" comes in. So what was going on "In the beginning?" We find that Christ was.

But first, what does "ho logos" mean? Logos simply, but very profoundly, means "word." We also know that "the Word" is speaking about Jesus Christ. (It should be noted that all biblical scholars hold to the idea that “the Word” is Christ.)

The verb "ēn" (Gk: ἦν) is in the past tense. It is a third-person singular verb, which means "was." Without going into too much detail, it should be noted that, contrary to the English language, there are a couple of ways of rendering Greek verbs in the past tense.5 The first way is to render a verb in the imperfect tense, and the second way is the aorist tense. William Mounce defines the two tenses:

"The imperfect tense describes a continuous action usually occurring in the past, while the aorist . . . describes an undefined action usually occurring in the past."6

The word “ēn” in John 1:1, by way of Divine inspiration, happens to be in the imperfect tense. This means that “the Word” (i.e., Jesus Christ) was “continuously in existence before the beginning.”7 Furthermore, the imperfect tense of "was" has inherent within it the idea of eternal past existence. That is, there is no beginning to the Word, Jesus Christ.

So far, we have the first clause translated: "In the beginning was the Word . . . " We have seen that, at the beginning or creation of the universe, the Word was already in existence. He was existing at the creation of the universe and was existing continuously into eternity past. How much significance one little Greek verb makes!
GIBBERISH of OLAADEGBU.
angry
Revelation 3:14 & Genesis 49:3, Jesus Christ proven your claim is GIBBERISH.

OLAADEGBU, when God his Father did not speak, "Let there be light".
Did light exist?
NEVER !

When God his Father did not speak the Word (Jesus his son) into Existence, did the Word exist?

NEVER !

Revelation 3:14, Jesus "is the beginning of creation by God"
Mark 13:19 "the beginning of creation which God created"

Genesis 49:3,"Reuben is the beginning of Jacob's offspring.
OLAADEGBU, is Reuben an offspring?
OLAADEGBU,is Reuben the Originator/Source of Jacob's offspring?

Emphasis on "Beginning" @ Revelation 3:14 & Genesis 49:3, you will know that Trinity is a man made delusion deceiving Christendom.

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by johnw47: 11:51pm On May 30, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Wait o, are you trying to say you're the same person known as Emusan and OLAADEGBU? cheesy

lost false jw mad max
^^ above, this is another of your deleted posts

apparently any nut case can be in military intelligence

1 Like

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:07pm On Jun 09, 2022
johnw47:

so you false jw cornboy are as paranoid as mad max, incredible

Spot on! cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:27pm On Jun 09, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Spot on! cheesy

OLAADEGBU Mr Emusan and johnw47 deceiving himself!

Better you go and attend to the thread that says:

as shared by olu-adegoke on facebook

A TRUE LIFE STORY OF AN EX-DEEPER LIFE MEMBER
====

My mum used to work a 9-5 in a very reputable company on Lagos Island in the 80s, and a "hyper-dedicated" member of Deeper Life Bible Church. My dad was a traveler and a man of very few words. Mum was a hardworking woman and passionate about things of her interest. Her church teaches that anything that would hinder you from making heaven should be cut off, be it father, mother, husband, wife, children, family, whatever; so 90% of mum's time was spent and dedicated to Deeper Life, so she could make heaven and sit at the right-hand side of Jesus in white apparel, on the streets of gold. She must have been made to believe that the more dedicated you are to God and his church, the bigger your mansion in heaven.

She was an early member of this church when it started in UNILAG in the 70s as a campus fellowship, she used to be a top leader of a section of the church, but today she's only a little above an ordinary member after investing all her life into the church.
She goes to church almost every day of the week after work, which left us the children to the hands of house girls. Monday is always bible study, Tuesday leaders meeting, Wednesday counseling, Thursday revival hour, Friday prayer meeting(or something or the other), Saturday workers meeting, and Sunday we were in church all day, we attended the 3 services cause mum had to officiate in the entire service.

At the age of 4-5 as a child, my memory started to take notice and store significant incidents at home. when i was between the age of 5-6 i was constantly being sexually molested by one of our house girls. She takes me to the room after she showers, pulls my head towards her crouch and makes me suck her vagina. This happened regularly but mum was too busy with church activities and trying to make heaven, she didn't notice or suspect anything and for over 2 decades i kept it only to myself (I just told my mum about it recently)

The church decentralized in 1991, that same period we moved to a bigger apartment from the room and parlour we used to live in, we had a big compound, enough to play around so we were not allowed beyond it. The church branch needed a temporary space for worship, mum was approached, she enthusiastically offered our compound and we were restricted to indoors with nothing to play with, no toys, no friends allowed, no board games, no TV (board games and TV were considered sin). I was beaten mercilessly by my parents for going to neighbour's house with my siblings to watch TV, guess what...my mum has TV in her sitting room now and so is almost every Deeper Life member nowadays.

So, what happened to the doctrine they preach about "Jesus the same yesterday, today and forever"? Suddenly the Jesus of yesterday that didn't like TV does now. In a conversation i had with my mum recently; i reminded her how she used to beat the hell out of me for watching TV that she now have, she was mute about it.

Our sitting room became counseling room and office, our walkway was divided and part used as church store. Mum had some sets of Fine-China we never really use and only on new years day, but she'll make a banquet with them every week on our dining table for the church officiating ministers.

Church kept expanding and was able to acquire a land, then moved, but our house remained a hub where members go to, when they had nowhere to stay. At those rare times she's home, especially during her leave, we had church members come to her for either financial aid, counseling, parents bringing their children for counseling but didn't realise her own children needed the counseling more.

I was a curious child, I began to wonder if there are other things to life besides "read your book" "go to church". Depression started creeping in at about when i was 11-12, music came to my rescue, I picked a passionate interest in music and i held on to it strongly because nothing was of interest to me in the church besides the music. I was a semi-misfit, I had peer issues, bully issues like every other kid, but mum was too busy listening to other people's children in the church but not me; one time, another kid tried to bully me in school, i fought back but had mixed feeling of guilt and victory, cause mum always say Jesus said "when they hit you on your right cheek, you turn the left".

I started to ask so many questions when i was about 14, i realised the double standards and hypocrisies in the church. The first thing i noticed was a no-one-dares-talk-about segregation, kids of the rich and top leaders, were always given special preferences and i remember one of those sermons we were told, that God is no respecter of any man and how we are same in the eyes of God. This was too huge for me to process at the time, so it expanded my curiosity.

Mum got a huge loan from a finance company to start a business with dad, which eventually wasn't successful. Now we were in serious debt, we suffered severely during this period. Mum was paying through her nose from her monthly salary, the debt had accumulated so much interest. Church members who used to flock around our house started disappearing one by one. It was hard to even eat, then i asked myself again: why can't the church help mum pay at least some of this debt? Afterall she doesn't get paid for everything she's doing for the church, but things remained this way until we were able to crawl out of it.

The church started gaining so much popularity at a time, mum was also getting deeper in her dedication. Mum's over zealousness and less attention for her family started to take a toll on my dad and the marriage between them, this boomeranged into their separation, and the church management said mum cannot hold the significant position she was in anymore, since she's separated from her husband and demoted to a lower position. Her dedication to church, caused her a broken home and she got punished for it by the same church.

This began to affect her psychologically.
She has been so emotionally detached from her children, she was only dedicated to these brainwashers. I thought maybe she'll realise herself by now, but it got worse. Now she became dedicated to fighting to get her spot back, by trying to impress the church leadership, even by desperate measures which gradually turned her to a full blown hypocrite. Churches create standards humanly unachievable and has turned members into hypocrites.

I watched as they announce and placed members under disciplinary measure, in front of the entire congregation in humiliation and excommunication. Why would anyone subject themselves to such dehumanisation? I literally saw people become mentally deranged from overzealousness, i saw people disown their families, i saw people leave their spouses cause they were told they were in an ungodly relationship. Then i watched as hypocrisy massively became the means of survival. Workers, members, leaders, secretly taking their daughters for abortion. Those who were caught became scape goats.

In Deeper Life, as a leader, no matter how dedicated you are, the standards set for your children is the litmus test for your credibility and your fate to remain a leader, especially the female children. No trousers, no lipstick, no earrings, no make-up, no relaxing of the hair, must be born again etc. my sisters were not having none of that bullshit, they pierced their ears, wore trousers, got their hair did, nails done. This affected mum's position the more, but she bothered more about her relegation in the church rather than pay attention to her children.

I was at this point, already socialising myself and beginning to absorb information about life in general, outside the church. I left home to face the world alone without any orientation of how to survive out there. "Go and read your book" and "Go to church" was the only thing i know.

I built up a conviction to find the truth about life by myself and the pursuit of a personal identity outside the indoctrination and dogma.
I found my path in life quickly enough, but this made me to be seen as a rebel back home. I hoped mum would talk to me and ask about what was happening in my life, but that never happened; I wasn't going to the church anymore, so me being around her would further reduce the possibilities of her achieving that leadership level she so craves. My personal life and success as her son wasn't her goal, Deeper Life was.

Religious fanatism is damaging people's families in this clime, but I have decided to save myself from the chains of these brainwashers.

END
= Narrated to me on September 30, 2017 by an ex-member of the Deeper Life Bible Church who was inspired to share the personal story after reading my post on the Deeper Life Church. I sought and got permission to share the story.

source-https://naijastoryz..com.ng/2017/09/a-true-life-story-of-ex-deeper-life.html#more

Each church has their own understanding of the scriptures and it's the fine WORKS Jesus said we should look out for {Matthew 7:16-18} not arguments on scriptures! wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

A Discussion On God And Consciousness Between An Atheist And A Pantheist. / Women Subconsciously Look For God In Their Husbands Because Lord Made Them So / If I Will Live Forever Either In Hell Or Heaven, Where Am I Before I Was Born

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.