Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,463 members, 7,812,413 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? (24639 Views)

The Newly-coined Full Meaning Of B-U-H-A-R-I / Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency / Who Coined The Word '9ja' and 'Naija'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by YoungBrain: 3:55pm On Jul 27, 2011
idumota and idumagbo do not sound yoruba at all !!
I have alaways wondered at their meaning/origin
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by 2mch(m): 3:56pm On Jul 27, 2011
YoungBrain:

This is assuming you know the whole Awori dialect. What does it mean in Benin? Please tell us. What about Ogudu and Ojodu? Maybe Ogu-Idu and Ojo-Idu.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Redman44(m): 3:57pm On Jul 27, 2011
@YoungBrain,

Tell them oooooo cool cool cool cool cool
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by denzel2009: 3:58pm On Jul 27, 2011
YoungBrain:

True! They sound like kensington and chelsea.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by tpia5: 4:01pm On Jul 27, 2011
YoungBrain:

when you land in kirikiri try to analyze the name and see if it sounds yoruba.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by 2mch(m): 4:05pm On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

when you land in kirikiri try to analyze the name and see if it sounds yoruba.

Noooooo, that is Ijaw. Agege is Delta/ Urhobo, Apapa is Igbo. They dont even know if the Agege guy sef na Yoruba transplant.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 27, 2011
Donlittle:

u grew up in ibadan??  shocked shocked
you made a point, counter it, assumed
pisaun this is a zero, u have being dismissed from here, anuofia
btw, your mama toto na die!
wow,yoruba people and their lack of respect.read very well,I did not grow up in ibadan,said my parents did.i grew up in lagos,went to my village just once ever.total lack of what the thread is about is what is wrong with these deluded yoruba agberos.last time i checked Lagos and ibadan with edo and delta all happen to be in a country called Nigeria so i am basically free to live and stay anywhere
btw go comot that teeth for your mama toto before u begin yan dust
empty head
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

i tire oh!!

why cant people try to claim ibadan or abeokuta is no man's land.

why must they always stretch their greedy fingers towards lagos?

op you dey craze sha.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
i was doing assignment and i needed help
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 27, 2011
when has trying to learn the history of ones place become a ploy to expand to that place
Nigerians and insecurity
if u come on here and talk about benin gals and prostitution, i go agree cos na history,why should we run away from what and whom we are all because it does not support our own deluded myopic view of what history should be
the edo and yorubas have come together a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng way and the relationship between them cant be washed under the bridge cos some few biggoted yoruba dunderheads dont like the way it sounds to them
get your facts right and stop living ina world created by your deluded politicians
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by ochiaha1(m): 4:17pm On Jul 27, 2011
All the arguements in this thread shows that Africans relied too much on oral tradition, in the past, to relate their history to their descendants.

An Author once said that, 'those who dont learn from the mistakes of the past are bound to repeat those same mistakes in the future'. The question is what steps are being taken now to properly document our current history so that five generations from now Nigerians can read accurate reports about our present generation.

I hope we have a National Archives, like they do  in Great Britain, which has records of our current history.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 27, 2011
ochi-aha:

All the arguements in this thread shows that Africans relied too much on oral tradition, in the past, to relate their history to their descendants.

An Author once said that, 'those who dont learn from the mistakes of the past are bound to repeat those same mistakes in the future'. The question is what steps are being taken now to properly document our current history so that five generations from now Nigerians can read accurate reports about our present generation.

I hope we have a National Archives, like they do  in Great Britain, which has records of our current history.
we dont, so we are bound to repeat the same mistake
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 27, 2011
Donlittle:

we dont, so we are bound to repeat the same mistake
agreed
from when i was young i was told by my older ones that the yorubas and edos have a very very strong bond stretching over the years and I was always surprised to see some people from the old bendel state with names like ojo and abayomi cos i believed they were strictly yoruba names.how right those stories were,I can not say cos like was said b4 you,we have no records whatso ever so who is to know what is true or not and the fact that some yoruba people would take it as an affront simply cos you want to learn more about where you are from,
if we do not knoiw how do we know where we are going to
Any Nigerian interested in expoansionist ideas should have his/her head checked cos with all the problems belittling Nigeria now,trying to get more land should not even be a thought on any ones mind
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by smile11s(m): 4:35pm On Jul 27, 2011
Alausa is Igbo

ask any Igbo man
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by tpia5: 4:51pm On Jul 27, 2011
milehigh06:

agreed
from when i was young i was told by my older ones that the yorubas and edos have a very very strong bond stretching over the years

your older ones must be edo or maybe ife i guess.

my own relatives told me no such thing.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 27, 2011
dtpia
i am edo,born in lagos while my parents are also edo but raised in ile-ife
now i get it
both edo and ife influences
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by tpia5: 5:27pm On Jul 27, 2011
^^are you sure or did you just make that up because of my post.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Sike(m): 5:52pm On Jul 27, 2011
Yeah! If Lagos means Lagoon as explained. Then what is the meaning of of EKO? Is it the meaning of Lagos in Yoruba? Because it is only Lagos i know that has both yoruba & English name. #JustWondering
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Ileya: 6:39pm On Jul 27, 2011
Colonialist tend to name the places they colonised after a place from their country of origin. There is a post town in Portugal named Lagos. Often when you try to book a flight to Lagos, there are 2 Lagoses that come up for selection.

1 Share

Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by tpia5: 6:55pm On Jul 27, 2011
Colonialist tend to name the places they colonised after a place from their country of origin

very true.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nymphnode(m): 6:57pm On Jul 27, 2011
Those 50 naira pamphlet they use to sell way back in the molue would have done the trick. Too bad the rats had piss-coloured mine
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:26pm On Jul 27, 2011
@ Katsumoto

The claim that Ogedengbe was "appeased" by the Oba of Benin is only one account, and it's from a site specifically designed to promote the greatness of Ogedengbe.

There are other accounts:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NaijaExcel/message/11325

http://reocities.com/CapitolHill/lobby/5144/edos.htm

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003554

Those three accounts all have a few glaring inaccuracies in their claims about other things (such as Esan not being a separate ethnic nationality, or Igbos having no kings (which probably comes from that proverb that Igbos themselves promote)), but with regard to Ogedengbe, they could be less inaccurate.

I think the idea that he was appeased is something of a folktale (an interesting one, though) used to explain why he "backed down" when actually confronted by Benin, following his initial (unexpected) invasions.

There is another story that says he actually got to Benin city itself, and that one is rather implausible for a whole slew of reasons which would become obvious from even a cursory reading of H. Ling Roth's Great Benin and how the different contemporary sources in that book describe Benin's defenses and patrols.

Here's the story:

http://ogedengbe.com/17503.html

The one possible element of truth in it is how it conveys the same general idea that Ogedengbe turned away of his own will when he realized that he couldn't really defeat Benin.

From what I've pieced together from the different stories about him, it would probably be more accurate to say that he invaded the Ora (Owan) area (which was not anticipated), where there were just Benin officials overseeing a province of the kingdom, but when he got nearer to the actual Benin area itself and he was confronted by General Ebohon at Iruekpen, he decided to turn back.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:44pm On Jul 27, 2011
Redman44: @Katsumoto, there is no evidence historically that the Oba of Benin paid Ogedengbe not to make war on Benin Kingdom. Ancient Benin was very strong and had a very disciplined Army. I'm just laughing at those who said I'm lying. They don't have a sense of history and they are not good debaters. Benin was sorrounded by a Moat which was dug by the people to prevent enemy states from attacking the Kingdom. The Moat still sorrounds Benin City till today. The Moat served the same purpose as the Great Wall of China helped the HAN Dynasty against invaders. Both the French and British Explorers acknowledged the might of the Benin Kingdom. Benin conquered the areas that are known as Delta State today. The Urhobos and Itsekiris were conquered by the Bini People ( Check out the similarities in how their Chiefs dress ). And people are shouting about the might of the Ekiti Warriors Sad Sad Sad Where were they when Alimi and the Jihadists were tormenting some parts of Yorubaland until the Ibadan and Ijaye Warriors stopped the Fulani Advance?

2mch, you're very abusive and uncouth. Cheers.

Redman, the Itsekiris were not conquered.

A Benin prince left Benin to found Warri because there cannot be two kings in Benin. If he had tried to claim the Benin throne, there would have been a civil war.

As for the Urhobo, I think most were "co-opted" into the Benin empire by virtue of their common Edoid culture. I don't think they were invaded or attacked.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by aymaja(m): 8:09pm On Jul 27, 2011
eko means camp.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by romeo(m): 8:55pm On Jul 27, 2011
I hope you will not fail because the first 3 posts were wrong. Lagos means Lakes in Portuguese and Spanish.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 27, 2011
H
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 27, 2011
9jaganja:

This Lagos issue again?

Hahahahahaha,

Funny how same people that want to claim Lagos is their land are saying Lagos is a no man's land hahahahahahh,

Hahahahah,

Yorubas are so awesome, everybody wants a bite of their history  From claiming they found the first Yoruba kingdom and what not?

Why haven't bini change back from Oba? Why not change it back to Ogiso dynasty? The prince that went back to rule Bini was a Bini man not a yoruba just that he was raised Yoruba simple,

Everyone wants a bite of our beautiful history lol,  even our forest has art roaming around it! Ahhhh Yoruba heritage is too awesome!!

By the way, why didn't the so call benin people worship Iyemoja if they ruled the sea dwellers ? the Aworis have the oldest sea cult in Lagos and in the world! At least one will expect Benin to bring their culture/Religion to the people they conquered? How come our names are still, Omidami, Tinubu, Omisola, Odewunmi, Odelola, Aromire  all Yoruba names? Why not Efosa, Osagie etc,

How come we still worship the sea mother of creation and not some Ogiso god? hahahahahhahaha

Yorubas are so awesome, everyone wants a bite of their history! hahahahah, 

Even our forests are laced with art hahahahaha

Why does everyone want to relate earlier contact with the Yorubas with a story of them being conquerors of a tribe of people that fought till the last fight to protect their culture and territory?

Why not simple contact like it is now? All over Yoruba land, there are people from all over Nigeria there and they feel even more comfy than they do in their native land,  Why can't you look at it that way? Why must it be conquer conquer conquer?  So the strangers in Yoruba land will tell a tale of their conquest of Yoruba land? hahahahahah We still have Arogundade, Balogun, Gbogunro folks ready to die at front line to protect the people again

So phuck y'all!!

Yorubas are so awesome, everyone wants a bite of their history

Even our forests are laced with art work!!!
you where proving a point until you cursed, now i will have to assume, your sick in the head
angry angry angry angry angry
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 27, 2011
Donlittle:

you where proving a point until you cursed, now i will have to assume, your sick in the head
angry angry angry angry angry

Lol, I wasn't looking for approval sir!!

I stand by phuck em all, All the revisionists!! It may make me seem radical but that's my nigger nature!!!
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by jason123: 9:55pm On Jul 27, 2011
milehigh06:

when has trying to learn the history of ones place become a ploy to expand to that place
Nigerians and insecurity
if u come on here and talk about benin gals and prostitution, i go agree cos na history,why should we run away from what and whom we are all because it does not support our own deluded myopic view of what history should be
the edo and yorubas have come together a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng way and the relationship between them cant be washed under the bridge cos some few biggoted yoruba dunderheads dont like the way it sounds to them
get your facts right and stop living ina world created by your deluded politicians
milehigh06:

agreed
from when i was young i was told by my older ones that the yorubas and edos have a very very strong bond stretching over the years and I was always surprised to see some people from the old bendel state with names like ojo and abayomi cos i believed they were strictly yoruba names.how right those stories were,I can not say cos like was said b4 you,we have no records whatso ever so who is to know what is true or not and the fact that some yoruba people would take it as an affront simply cos you want to learn more about where you are from,
if we do not knoiw how do we know where we are going to
Any Nigerian interested in expoansionist ideas should have his/her head checked cos with all the problems belittling Nigeria now,trying to get more land should not even be a thought on any ones mind

cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by EFCCTM: 10:18pm On Jul 27, 2011
lagos , lagos , lagos , lagos , make person hear word nauu
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 27, 2011
PLEASE DONT STOP.

the truth is that both side are true to me

but am confused because i know there is a mixup somewhere

By the way, why didn't the so call benin people worship Iyemoja if they ruled the sea dwellers ? the Aworis have the oldest sea cult in Lagos and in the world! At least one will expect Benin to bring their culture/Religion to the people they conquered?

this question need to be answered?

2. WHY DO THE OBA DRESS THE SAME WAY?

3.Is there no KING in Benin before Oranmiyan became the king. and why was he choosen ( because for my house self, you no fit come from outside come make decision no matter who you are.)

3.Has any benin became a king in Lagos before

4. WAITING IJEBU OWN WITH IKORODU NA EPE i kwn ijebu dominate

i need this question to be answered
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by executinal(m): 12:19am On Jul 28, 2011
teeo:

Lagos logoon. Nigeria niger what about boko haramcheesy
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Katsumoto: 12:46am On Jul 28, 2011
PhysicsQED:

@ Katsumoto

The claim that Ogedengbe was "appeased" by the Oba of Benin is only one account, and it's from a site specifically designed to promote the greatness of Ogedengbe.

There are other accounts:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NaijaExcel/message/11325

http://reocities.com/CapitolHill/lobby/5144/edos.htm

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003554

Those three accounts all have a few glaring inaccuracies in their claims about other things (such as Esan not being a separate ethnic nationality, or Igbos having no kings (which probably comes from that proverb that Igbos themselves promote)), but with regard to Ogedengbe, they could be less inaccurate.

I think the idea that he was appeased is something of a folktale (an interesting one, though) used to explain why he "backed down" when actually confronted by Benin, following his initial (unexpected) invasions.

There is another story that says he actually got to Benin city itself, and that one is rather implausible for a whole slew of reasons which would become obvious from even a cursory reading of H. Ling Roth's Great Benin and how the different contemporary sources in that book describe Benin's defenses and patrols.

Here's the story:

http://ogedengbe.com/17503.html

The one possible element of truth in it is how it conveys the same general idea that Ogedengbe turned away of his own will when he realized that he couldn't really defeat Benin.

From what I've pieced together from the different stories about him, it would probably be more accurate to say that he invaded the Ora (Owan) area (which was not anticipated), where there were just Benin officials overseeing a province of the kingdom, but when he got nearer to the actual Benin area itself and he was confronted by General Ebohon at Iruekpen, he decided to turn back.

You this Bini boy, you no dey gree. grin

What I find really curious is that the Bini do not have any records of this event, even though it is very recent while the Bini have records of other events from several centuries ago. Bini have records of settling in Lagos from the 16th Century but no records of an encounter with Ogedengbe Agbogungboro in the late 19th century? Could it be that they didn't really want to record that event?

Anyway, I agree that there isn't conclusive evidence to support either position.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fani-kayode: EFCC Wants Me To Refund N840m Without Trial / Buhari Often Skipped School And Was Always Flogged By Schoolmaster - John Paden / APDA Party To Be Unveiled On Monday, June 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.