Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,456 members, 7,812,396 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? (24638 Views)

The Newly-coined Full Meaning Of B-U-H-A-R-I / Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency / Who Coined The Word '9ja' and 'Naija'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by BabaO2: 2:39pm On Jul 27, 2011
@2mch, do you have a sense of History? There is a subject in History which is called 'Inter-Group Relations'. Do you know that one of the Princes in the ancient Benin Kingdom was called Prince Ogun? The Benin People and the Yoruba people are Kith and Kin Cool Cool. Benin influenced Lagos a lot. Are you blind, mate Sad Sad Sad Sad?  Can't you see the way the Oba of Lagos and his chiefs are dressed during ceremonies? Are they not dressed the same way Benin Chiefs are dressed? Are they not wearing the same white robes and tops with red beads? You're saying Ogba is a Yoruba name Shocked Shocked Shocked  Are you aware that some people in Delta State ( A Benin Kingdom vassal state in the past ) have their surname as 'Ogba'? e.g Solomon Ogba ( Former Delta State Sports Commissioner ). Have you heard of the Omo-Agege's of Delta State? Wake up, my friend. 'Eko' is a Benin word which means 'War Camp'.

No Yoruba Kingdom could face Benin at the heights of its Power Cool Cool Cool Cool. Go and study History more. Cheers.
I was thinking you are a good student of history, and if i may ask,  the first son of Oduduwa is who? and he migrated to where?
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by xpizzy(m): 2:39pm On Jul 27, 2011
Dont be indolent intellectually go to google
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by 677ano(m): 2:41pm On Jul 27, 2011
Lagos was a name given to the settlement by the Portuguese meaning[b] "lakes". [/b]
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by dempeople(m): 2:42pm On Jul 27, 2011
Shouldn't Lagos be renamed with a Nigerian name such as "Eko" or even "Las Gidis" rather than the continuous usage of the the word "Lagos"?

What of Victoria Island? Shouldn't the island be renamed as well?
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by whiteroses(f): 2:50pm On Jul 27, 2011
aww cheesy i miss my gidi ;p xx
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by NegroNtns(m): 2:53pm On Jul 27, 2011
Dem-people,

Is a lot of things that need to be renamed in Lagos.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Redman44(m): 2:54pm On Jul 27, 2011
@Baba O, Prince Oranmiyan was sent to Benin during a Period when Benin had a Political Interregnum. The kingmakers of Benin were trying to avoid a massive civil war among the clans contesting to have one of their sons become the King of Benin. So they had to approach Ife for a Prince who will become the King. Oranmiyan went to Benin and became King. Mind you, before he went to Benin, there had been other kings who were fully of Benin Stock. Oranmiyan married a Benin Woman and they had a son who became a great king called Eweka 1. Like I said earlier on, Nigerian tribes had been influencing one another for long and they also intermarried. After Oranmiyan, no full Yoruba person was King of Benin Again. When the Benin Kingdom conquered Lagos, they made the people they conquered adopt Bini Culture and practices. Even Prince Sango who later became Alaafin of Oyo was a Nupe Prince cool cool cool. He spent his youth in Nupe Land until he was begged to come and become Alaafin by the Oyomesi ( The Kingmakers of Oyo State ). Sango's mother was a Nupe Woman. Cheers.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by 2mch(m): 3:08pm On Jul 27, 2011
Redman44:

@2mch, do you have a sense of History? There is a subject in History which is called 'Inter-Group Relations'. Do you know that one of the Princes in the ancient Benin Kingdom was called Prince Ogun? The Benin People and the Yoruba people are Kith and Kin cool cool. Benin influenced Lagos a lot. Are you blind, mate sad sad sad sad?  Can't you see the way the Oba of Lagos and his chiefs are dressed during ceremonies? Are they not dressed the same way Benin Chiefs are dressed? Are they not wearing the same white robes and tops with red beads? You're saying Ogba is a Yoruba name shocked shocked shocked  Are you aware that some people in Delta State ( A Benin Kingdom vassal state in the past ) have their surname as 'Ogba'? e.g Solomon Ogba ( Former Delta State Sports Commissioner ). Have you heard of the Omo-Agege's of Delta State? Wake up, my friend. 'Eko' is a Benin word which means 'War Camp'.

No Yoruba Kingdom could face Benin at the heights of its Power cool cool cool cool. Go and study History more. Cheers.

hahahahaha, this guy is crazy. The only reason why Benin was not run over by Yoruba's is the relationship between both ruling houses otherwise una for don hear am. Now, Ogba means surrounding area in Yorubaland, i dont give a toss what it means in Delta state. Besides if all these names are Benin names how come you are referring to Delta to prove your point? Shouldnt you be referring to Edo state? Look guy, your Benin empire would have been overrun by Ijebu. Ijebu and Egba are warring clans of Yoruba. Awori are mostly fishermen and farmers, they are not warriors. Also the Omo-Agege guy is Urhobo. Are you telling me Urhobo people also have influence in Lagos? Look here, stop spreading lies. Wikipedia is not a reliable source because it can be edited. If you dont know this go back to school. Also, you pointed out the there was a prince Ogun in Benin. Are you not shooting yourself in the foot here? So that means Yoruba have more influence in Benin. Ogun is a Yoruba name, Olokun is a Yoruba name and Iya oba is a Yoruba name. What do these things mean in Benin? Look swallow your propaganda.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by ochiaha1(m): 3:09pm On Jul 27, 2011
The Name 'Lagos' is derived from the term, 'Logos' which can be interpreted to mean, 'everything'.

God is sometimes refered to as 'Logos' because  everything is believed to be derived from God who created the Universe.

Lagos was coined from the term, 'Logos' by the portugese explorers because when they landed there there was an abundance of almost all the raw materials and items they were searching for.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by caspapa(m): 3:12pm On Jul 27, 2011
@Excellent7 explanation is the answer to your question.

Nigeria Lagos look exactly like Algarve region Lagos (Portugal), both in shapes, atmospheric conditions and location, thus bring about them naming it Lagos. That was when they docked.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by mckane1: 3:17pm On Jul 27, 2011
Oduduwa was a Bini prince who ran away from Bini kingdom because of the crisis in the palace of his father the last of the ogisos, he later found himself in Ife where the Oracle has predicted that a prince from a foreign land will come and become their king. He was subsequently made king. His original name was Ekaladeran  He changed his name to Izoduwa (meaning I have chosen the path of wealth) . He named the land Ile fe meaning I have escaped.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 27, 2011
2mch
how old are youwow.your total lack of knowledge really baffles me
have you forgotten that delta and edo used to be 1?(bendel state)
go back and read the history of Nigeria maybe you will learn a lot.maybe you will learn about the relationship btw the yorubas and the edo people
i would expect an american to say some of the things you said out of ignorance,not a nigerian
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by 2mch(m): 3:22pm On Jul 27, 2011
milehigh06:

2mch
how old are youwow.your total lack of knowledge really baffles me
have you forgotten that delta and edo used to be 1?(bendel state)
go back and read the history of Nigeria maybe you will learn a lot.maybe you will learn about the relationship btw the yorubas and the edo people
i would expect an american to say some of the things you said out of ignorance,not a nigerian

How old are you? Omo Agege is Urhobo, end of story. I have shattered all your lies. Go and sleep. Stop spreading propaganda and expansionist agenda. No i will expect a non Yoruba to say silly propaganda like that. Stop picking clouds in the sky to make points. Yes, delta and edo were Bendel state, but he is spitting out Delta names for me that are not Benin, And there is a lot of Yoruba influence in Benin. So you guys should not be flexing. If you even look at the map of Nigeria, it is funny how Benin people avoided Ogun state to form "War Camp" in Lagos. Rotflmao.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Katsumoto: 3:22pm On Jul 27, 2011
Redman44:

@Baba O, Prince Oranmiyan was sent to Benin during a Period when Benin had a Political Interregnum. The kingmakers of Benin were trying to avoid a massive civil war among the clans contesting to have one of their sons become the King of Benin. So they had to approach Ife for a Prince who will become the King. Oranmiyan went to Benin and became King. Mind you, before he went to Benin, there had been other kings who were fully of Benin Stock. Oranmiyan married a Benin Woman and they had a son who became a great king called Eweka 1. Like I said earlier on, Nigerian tribes had been influencing one another for long and they also intermarried. After Oranmiyan, no full Yoruba person was King of Benin Again. When the Benin Kingdom conquered Lagos, they made the people they conquered adopt Bini Culture and practices. Even Prince Sango who later became Alaafin of Oyo was a Nupe Prince cool cool cool. He spent his youth in Nupe Land until he was begged to come and become Alaafin by the Oyomesi ( The Kingmakers of Oyo State ). Sango's mother was a Nupe Woman. Cheers.

Alaafin Sango was the son of Oranmiyan, the king at Oyo. That his mother was nupe does not mean he was Nupe. Most Nigerian societies are patriachal, so Nigerians claim their father's origins.

Redman44:

@2mch, do you have a sense of History? There is a subject in History which is called 'Inter-Group Relations'. Do you know that one of the Princes in the ancient Benin Kingdom was called Prince Ogun? The Benin People and the Yoruba people are Kith and Kin cool cool. Benin influenced Lagos a lot. Are you blind, mate sad sad sad sad?  Can't you see the way the Oba of Lagos and his chiefs are dressed during ceremonies? Are they not dressed the same way Benin Chiefs are dressed? Are they not wearing the same white robes and tops with red beads? You're saying Ogba is a Yoruba name shocked shocked shocked  Are you aware that some people in Delta State ( A Benin Kingdom vassal state in the past ) have their surname as 'Ogba'? e.g Solomon Ogba ( Former Delta State Sports Commissioner ). Have you heard of the Omo-Agege's of Delta State? Wake up, my friend. 'Eko' is a Benin word which means 'War Camp'.

No Yoruba Kingdom could face Benin at the heights of its Power cool cool cool cool. Go and study History more. Cheers.

You are a funny chap. Why do you think Benin avoided the Yoruba states who were all involved in internecine wars and headed to the only state without an army? Secondly, have you heard of an Ijesha man called Ogedengbe Agbogungboro? He was the General of the Ijesha and Ekiti Army. Do you know that Oba Ovonramwen paid Ogedengbe not to wage war on Benin?

1luvkipsus:

Lagoon,in Portugues means 'logos'.Lagos is coined from 'logos'.

Lagoon in Portuguese means Lagoa and not Logos.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by sunboy(m): 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2011
According to my school's history -LaSu

The portuguese named lagos 'Logos' when they came in the 15th century. Corruption of Logos result Lagos.

Eko means camp to Benin Kingdom, settling near the Dahomey kingdom for conquering them.

Awori didn't names lagos not peper first. It was named Idan Garan by Akran Gbafoe from Badagry.

Someone asked about Ikorodu, it was founded by an Ijebu hunter, I forgot his name. He names Ikorodu as Oko Odu which means a farm of Odu vegetable. Which corruption results Ikorodu.
Anymore questions
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by 2mch(m): 3:26pm On Jul 27, 2011
Katsumoto:

Alaafin Sango was the son of Oranmiyan, the king at Oyo. That his mother was nupe does not mean he was Nupe. Most Nigerian societies are patriachal, so Nigerians claim their father's origins.

You are a funny chap. Why do you think Benin avoided the Yoruba states who were all involved in internecine wars and headed to the only state that wasn't warring? Secondly, have you heard of an Ijesha man called Ogedengbe Agbogungboro? He was the General of the Ijesha and Ekiti Army. Do you know that Oba Ovonramwen paid Ogedengbe not to wage war on Benin?

Lagoon in Portuguese means Lagoa and not Logos.

Rotflmao, dont mind the revisionists. If you see the path they took to lagos, it was obvious they were running from some people
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Redman44(m): 3:27pm On Jul 27, 2011
@2mch, you're the one that is crazy. Like I said, Nigerian Tribes have been having inter group relations for a long time. Try and be objective. Yorubaland never conquered Benin not because of the common ground they had but because Benin Kingdom was very strong and had a highly disciplined Army. Benin Kingdom was ahead of the Yoruba States with Iron Ore and Bronze craft which the Binis used to make weapons. Benin Kingdom also got rifles from the Portuguese whom they had come in contact with earlier on. Both Yoruba People and the Bini People borrowed from each other when it comes to language and customs. Not all Yoruba words are originally Yoruba. Do you get it sad sad?  It was the British that conquered Benin Kingdom in the late 1800's. The King of Lagos ( Kosoko, A Yorubaman ) did not even put up a fight before ceding Lagos to the British. You're not talking like someone who is educated. Did the Greeks not influence the Romans? Did the Romans not influence the Normans ( France ) and The Anglo Saxons ( The English People)? Stop trying to argue blindly. I've made my point. Cheers.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 27, 2011
2mch
you are a proper dummy
I am edo but born and bred in yoruba land and i tend to speak more of my yoruba than my language(hgell i cant even speak 50% of my language)
you think everyone is inbterested in expansionist theories?you remind me so much of the dumb republicans always want to change history to suit them
by the way,my parents grew up in Ibadan so i have more of  a claim to the yoruba race than a lot but why would i be interested in such a claim when the bigger picture is claiming you are a nigerian and be proud of it
no one is tryinmg to steal your yoruba people with your smelly girls from you,you can keep them but wont it be nice for us all to know our history?
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 27, 2011
waste of time trying to educate 2mch
am sure you are one of those who believe bush blew up his own ppl in 911
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by 2mch(m): 3:29pm On Jul 27, 2011
sunboy:

According to my school's history -LaSu

The portuguese named lagos 'Logos' when they came in the 15th century. Corruption of Logos result Lagos.

Eko means camp to Benin Kingdom, settling near the Dahomey kingdom for conquering them.

Awori didn't names lagos not peper first. It was named Idan Garan by Akran Gbafoe from Badagry.

Someone asked about Ikorodu, it was founded by an Ijebu hunter, I forgot his name. He names Ikorodu as Oko Odu which means a farm of Odu vegetable. Which corruption results Ikorodu.
Anymore questions

If what you say is true and let us assume it is true about Eko, would the Benin not have settled in Badagry if they wanted to make a War Camp? Or Benin people were just avoiding all the troublesome people to come and flex on an island? Oh please, our Benin cousins need to give this up. Eko simply means Ile Oko. Just like someone said Ile Ife means where is escaped from, rotflmao and dying.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 27, 2011
na wa o
i asked for a simple question, and u guys are already talking bout the old days!
chai NLAND, u guys dont miss any opportunity to have an argument, OSALOBUA
cool
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by 2mch(m): 3:30pm On Jul 27, 2011
milehigh06:

2mch
you are a proper dummy
I am edo but born and bred in yoruba land and i tend to speak more of my yoruba than my language(hgell i cant even speak 50% of my language)
you think everyone is inbterested in expansionist theories?you remind me so much of the dumb republicans always want to change history to suit them
by the way,my parents grew up in Ibadan so i have more of  a claim to the yoruba race than a lot but why would i be interested in such a claim when the bigger picture is claiming you are a nigerian and be proud of it
no one is tryinmg to steal your yoruba people with your smelly girls from you,you can keep them but wont it be nice for us all to know our history?

Look you are a fool, i shattered all of Redman's claims. I didnt even read the trash you wrote there. Who cares if you can speak Yoruba? Na your mama dey smell idio*t. If Yoruba's are so smelly, why dont you stick your ass* in Benin? But the idi*ot is proud to open his mouth and say he grew up in Lagos. hahahahahhahahahaha. What a foo*l.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Katsumoto: 3:32pm On Jul 27, 2011
Redman44:

@2mch, you're the one that is crazy. Like I said, Nigerian Tribes have been having inter group relations for a long time. Try and be objective. Yorubaland never conquered Benin not because of the common ground they had but because Benin Kingdom was very strong and had a highly disciplined Army. Benin Kingdom was ahead of the Yoruba States with Iron Ore and Bronze craft which the Binis used to make weapons. Benin Kingdom also got rifles from the Portuguese whom they had come in contact with earlier on. Both Yoruba People and the Bini People borrowed from each other when it comes to language and customs. Not all Yoruba words are originally Yoruba. Do you get it sad sad?  It was the British that conquered Benin Kingdom in the late 1800's. The King of Lagos ( Kosoko, A Yorubaman ) did not even put up a fight before ceding Lagos to the British. You're not talking like someone who is educated. Did the Greeks not influence the Romans? Did the Romans not influence the Normans ( France ) and The Anglo Saxons ( The English People)? Stop trying to argue blindly. I've made my point. Cheers.

Stop conjecturing; the Yoruba States did not war with Benin because they were warring with each other and the Fulani. It is impossible to say which states would have won any wars for a number of reasons. Was it only Benin that received guns from the Portuguese?
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by dayokanu(m): 3:34pm On Jul 27, 2011
Hmmm
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 27, 2011
milehigh06:

2mch
you are a proper dummy
u grew up in ibadan??  shocked shocked
you made a point, counter it, assumed
pisaun this is a zero, u have being dismissed from here, anuofia
btw, your mama toto na die!
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by ikooko(m): 3:40pm On Jul 27, 2011
Lagos again? it seems Edo people are indirectly canvassing for a Bendel-state inside Lagos like the Igbos in festac.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by sunboy(m): 3:41pm On Jul 27, 2011
Yes I know a lil about Ogedengbe agbogungboro smiley

@2mch: I never read anytin about Ile Oko relating to Lagos or Benin. Badagary was a settlement of Gunus and some other tribes from Ghana, Togo and Dahomey. Later, some exiled Prince from Lagos moved there. Just as Lagos Island was a settlement of Brazilians, Serria Loanians. Who r the Saros and the Agudas.

Funny thing is that, lagos is no man's land. Different settlers settled at different areas.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Jboogie912: 3:42pm On Jul 27, 2011
Lagos was a war camp for the Benin Empire who called it Eko.[6][7] The Yoruba still use the name Eko to refer to Lagos. Lagos was a name given to the settlement by the Portuguese meaning "lakes". The present day Lagos state has a higher percent of Awori, who migrated to the area from Isheri along the Ogun river. Throughout history, it was home to a number of warring ethnic groups who had settled in the area. During its early settlement, it also saw periods of rule by the Benin Kingdom.[10]

Portuguese explorer Rui de Sequeira visited the area in 1472, naming the area around the city Lago de Curamo; indeed the present name is Portuguese for "lakes". Another explanation is that Lagos was named for Lagos, Portugal - a maritime town which at the time was the main centre of the Portuguese expeditions down the African coast and whose own name is derived from the Latin word Lacobriga.

Lagos was formally annexed as the British Lagos Colony in 1861. This had the dual effect of crushing the slave trade and establishing British control over palm and other trades.[11] The remainder of modern-day Nigeria was seized in 1887, and when the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria was established in 1914, Lagos was declared its capital. It continued to be the capital when Nigeria gained its independence from Britain in 1960. Along with migrants from all over Nigeria and other West African nations were the returnee ex-slaves known as Creoles that came from Freetown, Sierra Leone, Brazil and the West Indies to Lagos. The Creole workers had the advantage of Western Education and exposure to the wider world which was why they remained as the core of the African colonial staff of British administration. The Creoles contributed to Lagos' modernisation and their knowledge of Portuguese architecture can still be seen from the architecture on Lagos Island.[7]

Lagos experienced rapid growth throughout the 1960s and 1970s as a result of Nigeria's economic boom prior to the Nigerian Civil War otherwise called the Biafran War. Lagos was the capital of Nigeria from 1914 up to 1991. The city was stripped of its status when the Federal Capital Territory was established at the purpose-built city of Abuja. On November 14, 1991, the Presidency and other federal government functions were finally relocated to the new Capital city of Abuja. However, most government functions stayed in Lagos for a time since Abuja was then under construction.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Redman44(m): 3:45pm On Jul 27, 2011
@Katsumoto, there is no evidence historically that the Oba of Benin paid Ogedengbe not to make war on Benin Kingdom. Ancient Benin was very strong and had a very disciplined Army. I'm just laughing at those who said I'm lying. They don't have a sense of history and they are not good debaters. Benin was sorrounded by a Moat which was dug by the people to prevent enemy states from attacking the Kingdom. The Moat still sorrounds Benin City till today. The Moat served the same purpose as the Great Wall of China helped the HAN Dynasty against invaders. Both the French and British Explorers acknowledged the might of the Benin Kingdom. Benin conquered the areas that are known as Delta State today. The Urhobos and Itsekiris were conquered by the Bini People ( Check out the similarities in how their Chiefs dress ). And people are shouting about the might of the Ekiti Warriors sad sad sad Where were they when Alimi and the Jihadists were tormenting some parts of Yorubaland until the Ibadan and Ijaye Warriors stopped the Fulani Advance?

2mch, you're very abusive and uncouth. Cheers.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by 2mch(m): 3:46pm On Jul 27, 2011
sunboy:

Yes I know a lil about Ogedengbe agbogungboro smiley

@2mch: I never read anytin about Ile Oko relating to Lagos or Benin. Badagary was a settlement of Gunus and some other tribes from Ghana, Togo and Dahomey. Later, some exiled Prince from Lagos moved there. Just as Lagos Island was a settlement of Brazilians, Serria Loanians. Who r the Saros and the Agudas.

Funny thing is that, lagos is no man's land. Different settlers settled at different areas.

Lagos is someone's land. Please if this is your conclusion to where you have been running about you should have said it a long time ago. Lagos belongs to the Awori, Ijebu and Oyo. You see for yourself that it is surrounded by Yoruba states even in Benin Republic side of Yoruba,  Look at a map to help you. Now, the people in badagry that you say settled there spilled over from the Yoruba side of Benin republic, and the ga lived on the coast or on the lagoon not on the land. The saro  and others are Yoruba returnees, you see them in even cameroon still bearing Yoruba names. Also the fact that brazilians let slaves keep their culture and kept similar ethnic groups together on the same plantations, makes it easy for them to maintain an identity and go back to their villages on return to Africa.If the Benin wanted a war camp they would have settled in Badagry. Badagry is very big and would have been closer to Dahomey. Rather than setting up a "war camp" on lagos island alone. rotflmao. Lagos is Ile Oko, end of story. It was a farm for people of Ogun state, both for fishing and other foods. Especially fishing.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by tpia5: 3:52pm On Jul 27, 2011
@2mch, you're the one that is crazy. Like I said, Nigerian Tribes have been having inter group relations for a long time. Try and be objective. Yorubaland never conquered Benin not because of the common ground they had but because Benin Kingdom was very strong and had a highly disciplined Army. Benin Kingdom was ahead of the Yoruba States with Iron Ore and Bronze craft which the Binis used to make weapons. Benin Kingdom also got rifles from the Portuguese whom they had come in contact with earlier on. Both Yoruba People and the Bini People borrowed from each other when it comes to language and customs. Not all Yoruba words are originally Yoruba. Do you get it ? It was the British that conquered Benin Kingdom in the late 1800's. The King of Lagos ( Kosoko, A Yorubaman ) did not even put up a fight before ceding Lagos to the British. You're not talking like someone who is educated. Did the Greeks not influence the Romans?

wow, i've rarely seen a more error filled post on this forum.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by tpia5: 3:54pm On Jul 27, 2011
Lagos again?

i tire oh!!

why cant people try to claim ibadan or abeokuta is no man's land.

why must they always stretch their greedy fingers towards lagos?

op you dey craze sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We Have Spent N50bn Taking Care Of Benue Flood Victims – Gov Ortom / Makinde Hands Over 3 New Buses To Football Clubs In Oyo (photos) / Fani-kayode: EFCC Wants Me To Refund N840m Without Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.