Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,480 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? (24641 Views)

The Newly-coined Full Meaning Of B-U-H-A-R-I / Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency / Who Coined The Word '9ja' and 'Naija'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by ektbear: 7:01am On Jul 29, 2011
What happened to Fundah? Who are their descendants today? I'd never heard of them before you mentioned them.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:17am On Jul 29, 2011
@ ekt_bear

"Fundah" is actually "Pandah." They are located near the Niger-Benue confluence, in the Middle Belt. I think they are from a group called "Kwotto":

http://books.google.com/books?id=tJJT8r0QZ9wC&pg=PA146

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=gcM&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&ei=t08yTpazOY6-tgf-qoyODQ&ved=0CBQQvgUoAA&q=kwotto+nigeria&nfpr=1&biw=1158&bih=564

I refrained from doing any translations of the terms used there because I thought most of them would be obvious, but yeah actually this group (Kwotto) and their small kingdom are actually very obscure (unlike Sokoto, Borno, Nupe (Nyffe), etc.), so I should have said who they were.

I think the "fundah"/"pandah" thing comes about because of the pronunciation of "p" as "f" in certain parts of the North by Hausa speakers. Lander probably heard it as "f" because that was how it actually sounded.

They too, eventually lost to the Fulani, but the massive thrashing that their very small kingdom handed to the forces of the Caliphate in their first encounter, with the Sultan even at risk of being killed, shows that the Caliphate's military strength was not all that it was made out to be.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:37am On Jul 29, 2011
@ Olumide

So you don't even know the Edo word for mother and you're here constructing all sorts of theories about Iyoba being a Yoruba word? 

Why didn't you bother to find out about the word before you made that claim? Come on, man. That doesn't require too much effort.

When my father (or basically any older Benin man) gets really angry and frustrated then I hear him say "iye mwen!!!"  (my mother!!!) in exasperation.

That iya is mother in Yoruba is news to me, but iye being mother in Edo is just how things are. I'm not making any claims about "Oba" penetrating all Yorubas' vocabulary because of Benin, by the way. That's not at all what I'm saying.

You seem to think Yorubas have a monopoly on every word though, and I suspect that next you'll be explaining to us how ancient Benin people were unable to say "mother" without Yoruba influence or you'll tell us that when developing something as personal and extremely basic as what to call their mothers, Yorubas had to travel from Ife to tutor them. grin grin grin

And I don't buy the story about him contravening what all basically all princes who were Yoruba and were raised as Yoruba did, by just calling himself "Oba."

Also, there isn't necessarily some correspondence between the Yoruba title and the name of the place by the way. That's a very very weak argument.

Olurin refers to iron, not to the name of the Ijebu group of Yorubas or the place where they live.
Awujale, according to some accounts (http://www.ijebuassociation.org/history2.htm), refers to an ability to settle disputes about land, not to the place where Ijebus live.
Alaafin refers to a specific palace, not to the name of anything about the Oyo group of Yorubas or any city or kingdom that they inhabit.

I think you know that there are a lot of other Yoruba examples which show the same trend.

He had no obligation to take any strange title like "Oluigodomigodo" when even his father Oranmiyan did not take any title referring to the Oyo kingdom or its capital. So your argument there doesn't really work.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by pcicero(m): 10:06pm On May 16, 2012
@tpia
Kosoko ran to Epe and not Whyday (sudan). When he was confronted by Dosumu aided by the british forces, he fled through the Five Cowries creek (between Marina and VI) to Epe.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 16, 2012
pcicero: @tpia
Kosoko ran to Epe and not Whyday (sudan). When he was confronted by Dosumu aided by the british forces, he fled through the Five Cowries creek (between Marina and VI) to Epe.
whydah is not in sudan as u claim it is in republique du benin
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by pcicero(m): 12:41am On May 17, 2012
lakhadimar: whydah is not in sudan as u claim it is in republique du benin
You are very right bro!
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by blaqoracle: 5:54pm On Sep 16, 2012
2mch:

How old are you? Omo Agege is Urhobo, end of story. I have shattered all your lies. Go and sleep. Stop spreading propaganda and expansionist agenda. No i will expect a non Yoruba to say silly propaganda like that. Stop picking clouds in the sky to make points. Yes, delta and edo were Bendel state, but he is spitting out Delta names for me that are not Benin, And there is a lot of Yoruba influence in Benin. So you guys should not be flexing. If you even look at the map of Nigeria, it is funny how Benin people avoided Ogun state to form "War Camp" in Lagos. Rotflmao.
if you know the meaning of yoruba, you will reject the naming outrightlyly.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by tpiadotcom: 11:03pm On Apr 09, 2015
pcicero:
@tpia

k
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by winningwinner(m): 12:57pm On Apr 04, 2016
2mch:
This benin people sha! Abeg make una leave the Eko issue alone. The whole of Lagos was a farm for Ijebu and Awori's. It means Ile Oko. You can't tell me the Benin influence extended to Ikorodu, to name the whole state a war camp. They would not have survived a war with the Ijebu. And Ogba means surrounding area. What does it mean in Benin? Please stop spreading false stories. Walking fronbLagos to Benin is far enough for you to assume it would have been a war camp in those days.    

The only boy who fathered a son before his father ever did!
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by lindapace28: 11:26am On Jul 19, 2017
If you are looking for Nigerian names and meaning, This is is the best resource
http://www.babynamescube.com/nigerian-baby-names

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wikileaks: Lagos Governor Tinubu On Funsho Williams' Murder / Buhari's Govt Incurs N57b Petrol Subsidy Debt -PUNCH / Live Pictures of Olawepo Hashim's Presidential Campaign In Ondo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.