Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,810 members, 7,810,113 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? (7943 Views)

She Came To Do Her Assignment And You Met Her Like This / Do NOT Marry Someone Until You Can Honestly Answer These 20 Questions: / Can You Marry Someone From Another Cultural Back Ground?and Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by ikoha: 11:21am On Jul 28, 2011
my friend met this chic on facebook, they became friends, and started talking like five times daily untill they finally met face-to-face.
the chemistry was right, she confessed that my friend scored way beyond what she had anticipated physically. she likes tall, dark and athletic physique, which she has found in him. my friend liked her alot because she was his kind of woman, intellectually, physically and, character-wise he could say she was okidoki having been with her for not too long as to ascertain that. both are working, she is 26 and he is 31.
right now, my friend is considering marriage and she happens to be top on his list.
my question is have you seen couples that met online and ended up in a family way? what are the consequences? how will people feel during the introduction that they met on facebook, a social network?

serious answers only!!!!
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 28, 2011
It doesn't matter how or where they met as long they love and understands each other
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Goldieluks: 11:31am On Jul 28, 2011
I don't see anything wrong with marrying someone you met online,
so far you have spent some quality time with them in reality and getting to know what they are like,
i think they are good to go.You can meet your life partner anywhere,on the internet,road side,train,plane,work place, it
doesn't really matter,so far there's a good chemistry and you both share a mutual understanding,that's part of all there is.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by ikoha: 11:33am On Jul 28, 2011
Goldieluks:

so far ypu have spent some quality time with them in reality and getting to know what they are like,
i think they are good to go.You can meet your life partner anywhere,on the internet,road side,train,plane,work place, it
doesn't really matter,so far there's a good chemistry and you both share a mutual understanding,that's part of all there is.

nice one.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by claremont(m): 11:35am On Jul 28, 2011
No! Go and find "love" in the real world.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 28, 2011
Did he say they met in hell?
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Goldieluks: 11:39am On Jul 28, 2011
REALITY101:

Did he say they met in hell?

Lmao,you can say that again bruv.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Cuddlemii: 11:42am On Jul 28, 2011
@op
I don't see anything in it. The most important thing is  that they are attracted to each other physically and they posses the qualities they both want in a life partner. Love has no rules, limits or guidelines. Its just meant to find you and make you happy. So many people have met online and are happily married now. Happiness and peace of mind is the most important thing and not where or how you find it.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Phate07(m): 12:03pm On Jul 28, 2011

The internet just served as a meeting point for them to get to know each other. There are several other meeting points such as school, place of work, place of worship, street, market, etc.

Let's just hope they have been able to resolve their differences and do understand each other.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 28, 2011
Cuddlemii:

@op
I don't see anything in it. The most important thing is  that they are attracted to each other physically and they posses the qualities they both want in a life partner. Love has no rules, limits or guidelines. Its just meant to find you and make you happy. So many people have met online and are happily married now. Happiness and peace of mind is the most important thing and not where or how you find it.
Goldieluks:

so far you have spent some quality time with them in reality and getting to know what they are like,
Combine those two comments, and you have your answer!!! Couldn't have said it better!

claremont:

Unless you are an ATHEIST and dont believe in LOVE, Treat this answer as Poo! And OH! The real world he is talking about is MARS! undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by claremont(m): 12:07pm On Jul 28, 2011
sexkillz:

Unless you are an ATHEIST and dont believe in LOVE, Treat this answer as Poo! And OH! The real world he is talking about is MARS! undecided
grin grin grin
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by ikoha: 12:31pm On Jul 28, 2011
claremont:

which real world are u talking about? they have already met and the man is considering marriage. he told me about his plans and the circumstances surrounding their meeting, which i was not cool with, therefore, i decided to post this and see the comments and opinions of some well-thinking nairalanders, which you are very far from being.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 28, 2011
ikoha:

which real world are u talking about? they have already met and the man is considering marriage. he told me about his plans and the circumstances surrounding their meeting, which i was not cool with, therefore, i decided to post this and see the comments and opinions of some [size=15pt]well-thinking nairalanders, which you are very far from being[/size].
TOLD YOU!
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by lucious(f): 12:47pm On Jul 28, 2011
It doesn't matter where or how they met, as long as the chemistry is right and they both have what each other wants in a partner, they can go ahead and marry. The most important thing is LOVE and TRUST. If these is found in the relationship, they re good to go.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by claremont(m): 1:12pm On Jul 28, 2011
When I make vituperations on any issue, I do so with the relevant scientific facts at my disposal at the time, I don't make opinions based on personal bias or "blending in with the herd mentality". I speak my mind irrespective of whose ox I gore in the process, so here goes;

[b]Psychology professor Jeffrey Lohr and two psychology graduates, Aimee King and Deena Austin-Oden, analyzed several leading dating Web sites and found that promotional claims were more self-serving opinion than legitimate psychological science.

The Internet has minimized the importance of proximity, making it possible for distant strangers to get to know each other through computer interactions. Also, many of the Web sites do not allow users to see a picture of the match in the initial stages of the face-to-face communication, taking the second variable of interpersonal relationships - physical attractiveness - out of the picture.

Relations initiated online may not be as enduring as traditional face-to-face relationships because there are few barriers to breaking up when the cost exceeds the rewards of the relationship, the team said. And another mate is only one click away and easy to find. Self-disclosure, the final variable that determines the likelihood of a relationship forming, can be deceiving, although advocates of Internet dating claim that the anonymity of computer-mediated communication accelerates intimacy through increased openness about aspects of the self. Critics of cyber-dating say that self-disclosure online is often less honest because of the increased opportunities for identity manipulation. (Culled from Uni'Arkansas)[/b]

Anyone who ignores scientific research, and still goes ahead to marry someone he/she met online does so at his/her own peril. Take it or leave it, the facts don't lie no matter how much people choose to ignore them. The bottom line is that only losers, failures, douche bags go online to look for a relationship.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Mallow: 1:19pm On Jul 28, 2011
claremont:

When I make vituperations on any issue, I do so with the relevant scientific facts at my disposal at the time, I don't make opinions based on personal bias or "blending in with the herd mentality". I speak my mind irrespective of whose ox I gore in the process, so here goes;

[b]Psychology professor Jeffrey Lohr and two psychology graduates, Aimee King and Deena Austin-Oden, analyzed several leading dating Web sites and found that promotional claims were more self-serving opinion than legitimate psychological science.

The Internet has minimized the importance of proximity, making it possible for distant strangers to get to know each other through computer interactions. Also, many of the Web sites do not allow users to see a picture of the match in the initial stages of the face-to-face communication, taking the second variable of interpersonal relationships - physical attractiveness - out of the picture.

Relations initiated online may not be as enduring as traditional face-to-face relationships because there are few barriers to breaking up when the cost exceeds the rewards of the relationship, the team said. And another mate is only one click away and easy to find. Self-disclosure, the final variable that determines the likelihood of a relationship forming, can be deceiving, although advocates of Internet dating claim that the anonymity of computer-mediated communication accelerates intimacy through increased openness about aspects of the self. Critics of cyber-dating say that self-disclosure online is often less honest because of the increased opportunities for identity manipulation. (Culled from Uni'Arkansas)[/b]

Anyone who ignores scientific research, and still goes ahead to marry someone he/she met online does so at his/her own peril. Take it or leave it, the facts don't lie no matter how much people choose to ignore them. [b]The bottom line is that only losers, failures, douche bags go online to look for a relationship.[/b]

Let everybody have their say,please,and you don't insult people just because they
do what they like.(freedom of choice and Living)

You can meet people anywhere,it is the love and understanding that counts.some people you meet offline are not even that reliable.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by claremont(m): 1:23pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mallow:

Let everybody have their say,please,and you don't insult people just because they
do what they like.(freedom of choice and Living)
You can meet people anywhere,it is the love and understanding that counts.some people you meet offline are not even that reliable.
Don't get me wrong mate, I didn't say that phrase, I only quoted a reference.
Only failures, douche bags, freaks go online for relationships, these are the references>>>>http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81430, http://boards.askmen.com/showthread.php?121317-is-online-dating-only-for-losers-freaks-and-otherwise-strange-people, http://www.cupid.biz/dating-advice/quality-people.php
Like you say "people you meet offline are not even reliable". If we can't even trust people we meet offline, is it people we meet online we should trust?! It's simple logic really.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Mallow: 1:30pm On Jul 28, 2011
Yeah seen the links, wink
as you can see people have different views on such matters,and if you should read thru those links,you will come across success stories of people who actually met their partners online.It is a thing of choice,and i totally disagree with people who just cut the idea off,just because they are not opportune to do so.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by TeeJay6(m): 1:31pm On Jul 28, 2011
@op
I can marry someone i met OFFLINE
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by claremont(m): 1:34pm On Jul 28, 2011
Tee_Jay:

@op
I can marry someone i met OFFLINE
May your dayziz be long ma guy, you are the wisest of all men cheesy cheesy.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by MrsChima(f): 1:35pm On Jul 28, 2011
:-x
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by jaybee3(m): 1:36pm On Jul 28, 2011
I only worry about ma destination.
Not one to look back besides, WWW is just one of the numerous medium peeps get to meet each other daily.
It's not like u meet online and GBAM u r married without having had a proper offline relationship with the other half.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jul 28, 2011
claremont:

Don't get me wrong mate, I didn't say that phrase, I only quoted a reference.
Only failures, douche bags, freaks go online for relationships, these are the references>>>>http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81430, http://boards.askmen.com/showthread.php?121317-is-online-dating-only-for-losers-freaks-and-otherwise-strange-people, http://www.cupid.biz/dating-advice/quality-people.php
Like you say "people you meet offline are not even reliable". If we can't even trust people we meet offline, is it people we meet online we should trust?! It's simple [size=15pt]logic[/size] really.
Logic Logic Logic! How do you determine WHO'S LOGIC is Right? Did you make further research to back up those claims, before you SWALLOWED THEM, HOOK, LINE AND SINKER? undecided Dont you even care if these researchers are WRONG?
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by MrsChima(f): 1:40pm On Jul 28, 2011
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Jaybee, there are people who meet online and get married the next day or few weeks later. Seriously. I was like WTF.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying you must have a LONG COURTSHIP or engagement but HOW THE HELL can you know somebody in a day or few weeks? undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Mallow: 1:40pm On Jul 28, 2011
jay bee:

I only worry about ma destination.
Not one to look back besides, WWW is just one of the numerous medium peeps get to meet each other daily.
It's not like u meet online and GBAM u r married without having had a proper offline relationship with the other half.

Supported.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Mallow: 1:42pm On Jul 28, 2011
What is the difference between meeting someone offline and online ,and getting to know them?
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by MrsChima(f): 1:43pm On Jul 28, 2011
Seriously? undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by claremont(m): 1:43pm On Jul 28, 2011
sexkillz:

Logic Logic Logic! How do you determine WHO'S LOGIC is Right? Did you make further research to back up those claims, before you SWALLOWED THEM, HOOK LINE AND SINKER? undecided
I believe my initial reference on this issue is from a research by the University of Arkansas which investigated online dating. The research is peer-reviewed and has been published in reputable journals; if I can't swallow "hook, line and sinker" a scientific research, is it an opinion by a nairalander I should swallow?

Mallow:

What is the difference between meeting someone offline and online ,and getting to know them?
How can you ask this question?! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by jaybee3(m): 1:43pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mallow:

r u still in kindergarten?

Mrs.Chima:

Jaybee, there are people who meet online and get married the next day or few weeks later.    Seriously.  I was like WTF.  

Are we talking about Vegas weddings?
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

Jaybee, there are people who meet online and get married the next day or few weeks later.    Seriously.  I was like WTF.  

Don't get me wrong I am not saying you must have a LONG COURTSHIP or engagement but HOW THE HELL can you know somebody in a day or few weeks?   undecided

I am in support of this bolded statement! But i must be quick to add that the poster NEVER mentioned a day or few weeks! undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by MrsChima(f): 1:44pm On Jul 28, 2011
That too Jaybee.
Re: Can You Marry Someone You Met Online? by Mallow: 1:45pm On Jul 28, 2011
jay bee:

r u still in kindergarten?
Are we talking about Vegas weddings?

why do you say so?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Will U Eat This Burger That Looks Like V*gina? ( Pic) / A Condom Stand In A Supermarket In Owerri Yesterday / This Year I Met A Guy Who I Felt Was The "Last Bus Stop" For This My Singlehood!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.