Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,596 members, 7,816,481 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 (4923 Views)

Buhari, Wife Should Be Advocates Of Child Rights — Onyeka Onwenu / Guber Poll: Oba Of Lagos Reads Riot Act To Igbo... The Sun / Pakistani Child Rights Activist Malala Yousafzai Visits President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Kobojunkie: 5:57am On Jul 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

Of course I did, you said "[b]are still married [/b]off by their parents, siblings, , " but I was talking about age of consent.

Anyway, I'm not interested in the age Muslims marry. That's not my business.

My concern is age of consent and the increase in homosexuality which I think should be as low as 13.
My first post was a response to Dayo's post on age of consent of several countries.

Kobojunkie:

What I see you telling us is that it is OK for adults, 55 year olds to[size=14pt] take advantage of/Be Intimate with[/size] 13 year olds because you are HOMOPHOBIC? I mean will you be willing to have your sister or daughter[size=13pt] sleep with a 55 year old simply because you are afraid that if she does not, she might develop Same-sex tendencies[/size](please do not respond by lying that kids, when allowed to Be intimate at that age, will never find themselves consenting to intimacy with older adults)?  undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Jakumo(m): 7:16am On Jul 30, 2011
Beaf:

I will ask any grown man that is a supporter of underage marriage to simply turn the tables and imagine himself married at age 13. Would he be emotionally, physically, mentally, financially, spiritually, intellectually capable?
If your answer is no, then accept that you support paedophilia and your religious interpretations are wicked, abusive, backward and primitive.

Those who have fervently prayed for the untimely demise of Generallisimo El Beaf will no doubt be crushed to see him back on the scene.

Anyway, the hunters have now been lined up to deliver the mandatory traditional 21-gun salute heralding his mysterious pre-dawn landing on the shores of Nairaland. Lock and load, aim FIRE ! !

Ha ha ha ha Let the show begin.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by seanet02: 7:23am On Jul 30, 2011
You see why i said 99.9% of northerners are potential boko haram? How on earth can you reduce the maturity age below 18? Very almajiri reasoning.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by dayokanu(m): 8:56am On Jul 30, 2011
^^ Several European countries have it at age 15 , Italy 14, Spain 13, Vatican 12 and they have nothing to do with Northern Nigeria or Islam.

All the 3 countries have like over 90% xtian population, Vatican/Italy should even be considered the center of xtianity and they have ages lower than most Islamic countries.

Summary: Its not a function of religion
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 30, 2011
Instead of stating what is right, many will rather compare undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided Olodo olodo olodo!!!

There is no logic in telling me a 15yrs old kid can get married in other countries while not taking into considerations of child psychological health first,

You see the nonsense these idiotas are proposing instead of facing the problems we have in this world today!!

Guess what? America has killed over 2million people in war in 1 decade. Is that right? Why must we say because they do it too, we should do it?

I'm 24 and in all honesty, I can't say I'm ready for marriage,  Think of a 15yrs old boy getting married undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Let them fall in love, let them like someone, let someone not perverted like them,  Let them see the world, let them travel the world, let them go from Hong Kong to California, From NYC to Australia,  Let them be wise enough to make decisions for themselves not by their parents,

many 35+ people have tried and failed, some brutally abused,  The kid will silently be dying inside while the abuse starts coming, when the sex gets too painful, having kids at 18? Will you pray for that for your sisters and daughters undecided undecided

And it's one more kid that'll never go to school
Never get to fall in love
Never get to being coooolll
keep on rocking in the free world!! ------ Neil Young!!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Rhino5dm: 9:54am On Jul 30, 2011
Okay let's look at it this way. How many men will want to bleep a 16 year old Virgin? Tight and straw-berry pus-sie (No indecency intended). I watch in my neighbourhood so many married men going after kids without any second thought.

I will NEVER allow my daughter to get married until SHE is ready. Though, i may object her chioce but i will have to respect her desire if she is MATURED.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by claremont(m): 10:24am On Jul 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

We need to make a distinction between marriageable age and age of consent to avoid confusing the two.
Marriageable age is subjective, and varies depending on a lot of factors one of which could be religion. Therefore, the opinion of the Muslims cannot be said to be wrong, because they are measuring the marriageable age of a girl on the basis of the provisions of their religion which is entirely appropriate.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by member479760: 10:34am On Jul 30, 2011
then let the christian demand for gay right.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by zikclassiq(m): 10:38am On Jul 30, 2011
Na wa o! That is taking advantage of young girls without taking into consideration their long time health effect.
I luv my girl who is 19, i'm 24. But i would wait till she's atleast 22 wen she has finished uni. I wont do anything to hurt MY BABY!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by zikclassiq(m): 10:38am On Jul 30, 2011
Na wa o! That is taking advantage of young girls without taking into consideration their long time health effect.
I luv my girl who is 19, i'm 24. But i would wait till she's atleast 22 wen she has finished uni. I wont do anything to hurt MY BABY!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 30, 2011
Are teenage boys eligible for marriage as well or does this just applies to girls only? If so it concludes the argument on how women in general are viewd through the muslim religion i.e. good for one thing only, Procreation.
Quoting their religion they failed to realise that 2,000yrs ago the reason for early marriage was poverty and since the young girls back then had little or nothing else to look for outside the matrimonal home. She would be married in her early teens, finish child bearing in her mid 20's (with at least a dozen births under her belt) and would be dead in her late 30's or early 40's.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 30, 2011
zikclassiq:

[b]I luv my girl who is 19, i'm 24. [/b]But i would wait till she's atleast 22 wen she has finished uni. I wont do anything to hurt MY BABY!

I don't mean to be aproko but you seem to have had your child at age 5 shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

ahhhhhhh,
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by BetaThings: 10:47am On Jul 30, 2011
koruji:

There may be many good things in the Islamic rules, but this particular one is another that has outlived its time.
nobody in his right mind should look at girls barely out of diapers for marriage or any other act. Period!!!

Quote: "He cited a section of the Act which stipulates that “it is a criminal offence for any father to give out his daughter for marriage before the age of 18,” adding that the Islamic principle on the matter provides that a women would be eligible for marriage as soon as she attains maturity."

koruji:

Not really, although much of what we do are patterned after the west. And why not, they have shown a knack for leading the way when it comes to innovation, at least in this era going back about 500 years.

The speaker himself set his criterion - reach maturity. The problem is he didn't say which age he considers mature. He is definitely not suggesting that 7 year olds are mature, so he ought to be specific.

BTW, I don't consider the west always right. In particular, [b]this rapid movement [/b]to institutionalize man-lover marriage is not right. It is even more surprising that with all the hunger, wars and sick kids filling the planet the UN is finding time to line up behind such a silly idea.

What is barely out of diapers? anyone less than 18? In Sweden, the age of consent is 15. So are they out of diapers?   My problem is that we have on account of innovation leadership concede all reasoning to the west. Th eother day, it was somebody saying that Jonathan and Sambo should be wearing suits. What part of our culture are we not going to jettison
Our suicide rates are lower in part because of certain cultural practices eg extended family. Can we cope with higher suicide rates
If we copy all the time, those people will never respect us
Rapid? It is either ok or not. If it is ok, why the delay? Of course, it is really disgusting
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Jakumo(m): 10:53am On Jul 30, 2011
For any country endorses the ABSOLUTELY prohibit the molestation and zexual exploitation of minors, the Age of Consent for zexual activity MUST remain 18 years old and no earlier, for all adults 18 and over.    

However, IF both participants in consensual c0pulation are between 16 and 18 years old, the Age of Consent may be regarded as 16 years old, PROVIDED THAT the imperative of safe practice and contraception is tought in schools, or by parents of kids turning 16.

For adults over the age of 18, zexual encounters with under-18 children, even under the pretext of "traditional marriage", MUST be legally classified as statutory rhape, over which a duly tried adult offender would face possible prison time, or, preferably, chemical castration for repeat offenders.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 30, 2011
Since these fundamentalist are asking a lot from us these days to bend to their religion e.g. Sharia law, Islamic Banking, northern and muslim President ( in the guise of zoning), Boko-Haram (in demanding only God Knows what) and now pedophille privileges, why don't we just rename the country Islamic Republic of Nigeria?

The only thing we need to lower the age for is our Under-17 football team. We got banned once for cheating, abi?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by claremont(m): 11:07am On Jul 30, 2011
Jakumo:

For any country endorses the ABSOLUTELY prohibit the molestation and zexual exploitation of minors, the Age of Consent for zexual activity MUST remain 18 years old and no earlier, for all adults 18 and over.    

However, IF both participants in consensual c0pulation are between 16 and 18 years old, the Age of Consent may be regarded as 16 years old, PROVIDED THAT the imperative of safe practice and contraception is tought in schools, or by parents of kids turning 16.

For adults over the age of 18, zexual encounters with under-18 children, even under the pretext of "traditional marriage", MUST be legally classified as statutory rhape, over which a duly tried adult offender would face possible prison time, or, preferably, chemical castration for repeat offenders.

Where is your reference for this, or is it just an opinion?!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Jakumo(m): 11:18am On Jul 30, 2011
The above described law is essentially what the United States legislature applies and rigidly enforces for her citizens.  The state of Utah's mormon polygamists who flout both monogamy and Age of Consent laws are investigated, arrested, tried and summarily jailed for bigamy and/or child molestation, as appplicable. 

US prisons and penitentiaries are in fact chock-full of adults who crossed the "jail-bait" line of 18 years old, in search of zexual healing, only to earn a swift trial and sentencing.   

Nigeria need not emulate ALL laws implemented in the free West, but any legislation that protects under-18 year old CHILDREN from molestation by over-18 adults is a damned good example to follow.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by md4real(m): 11:22am On Jul 30, 2011
Some people are funny. Pragmatically, have u seen a girl of 16-19 that just finished secondary sechool? Go check em out and see what is term maturity. Solid boobs, big body and possibly, not even a birgin anymore. What do you expect? Marriage shikena!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by PA1982(f): 11:25am On Jul 30, 2011
You have a point.
BUT
How is a woman supposed to get a higher education if she's marriage fodder so young?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by eldee(m): 11:46am On Jul 30, 2011
It is stupid to change the marriage age, in the countries listed above . . . the marriage age is a reflection of the individual age of adulthood in the countries.
In Nigeria, a 15 year old is still a kid, the average school leaving age is 18, at least according to the 6-3-3-4 system. . .why will it make sense to allow them to get married now?

Notice how the Rep kept talking about 'women'. . .it's obviously propaganda.
These pervs are just looking for a way to legalize marrying 12 year olds as 9th wives.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by tushbobo(m): 11:51am On Jul 30, 2011
Some 16 year olds are more matured than 30 year olds,
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by eldee(m): 12:38pm On Jul 30, 2011
Behind bobo:

I have a friend who could ride a bike at 12, does that mean we should reduce the age for licences to 12??
It's a policy issue, let's protect the kids.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by tushbobo(m): 12:57pm On Jul 30, 2011
I understand that but really u can not change d way some people think n there is no need floggin a dead horse.how do u explain underaged girls in zamfara supporrtin yerima via public protests when d issue of yerima marryin a 12 year old came up. The best u can do is ignore and not argue as I have learnt from experience u can't win these type of arguments that have a religious undertone.the fact that I posted 'some 16 year olds are more matured than some 30 year olds' is a neutral statement and does not mean I support the governor.opinions are like ass holes ,everybodys got one
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Sike(m): 1:55pm On Jul 30, 2011
Behind bobo:

CONFIRMED!!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Natasha2(f): 1:58pm On Jul 30, 2011
Rubbish
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Natasha2(f): 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2011
eldee:

I have a friend who could ride a bike at 12, does that mean we should reduce the age for licences to 12??
It's a policy issue, let's protect the kids.
you've said it all just because some girls get mature before the age of 18 doesn't in any way mean the standard age of 18 should be reduced, It just so silly
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by NegroNtns(m): 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2011
Serxval instinct and physiological clock determine readiness for inter-course.

There are early bloomers and there are late bloomers. Serxval desire in humans is complex, a 16r old can become aroused by visual, touch, smell, audial. Its a very strong desire that build overtime, without the proper outlet and suppressed too long it can manifest as resentment, rebellion and create problems in other areas of life and cause life-long problems.

We should not regulate biological clocks.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Remii(m): 2:03pm On Jul 30, 2011
Behind bobo:

Omotola Jalade and Ireti Doyle that were married at 16 or 17yrs, are they not doing well or even better than some matured girl sef.

How is the child not protected? by getting married out to a known person or left to the mercy of predators all over the place?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by koruji(m): 2:04pm On Jul 30, 2011
Two problems with your view:

1. That laws are flouted doesn't necessarily mean that the crime should be legalized. In many cases flouting of laws is a symptom of some other problem that needs to be addressed  - sometimes with the law itself, but in this case the 18+ year maturity requirement is solid law.

2. U are defining maturity on the basis of someone's third leg, not on the basis of what is good for the kid or society in general.

md4real:

Some people are funny. Pragmatically, have u seen a girl of 16-19 that just finished secondary sechool? Go check em out and see what is term maturity. Solid bosoms, big body and possibly, not even a birgin anymore. What do you expect? Marriage shikena!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by koruji(m): 2:09pm On Jul 30, 2011
You are still leaving the problem unaddressed. A society is supposed to teach kids in a way that creates a nation of healthy, happy people, not happy-go-lucky sax machines.

For the Nigerian society's needs which age is the speaker recommending - 17, 16, 15. . .9,8,7,6,5. . .

Negro_Ntns:

Serxval instinct and physiological clock determine readiness for inter-course.

There are early bloomers and there are late bloomers. Serxval desire in humans is complex, a 16r old can become excited by visual, touch, smell, audial. Its a very strong desire that build overtime, without the proper outlet and suppressed too long it can manifest as resentment, rebellion and create problems in other areas of life and cause life-long problems.

We should not regulate biological clocks.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Natasha2(f): 2:21pm On Jul 30, 2011
Remii:

Omotola Jalade and Ireti Doyle that were married at 16 or 17yrs, are they not doing well or even better than some matured girl sef.

How is the child not protected? by getting married out to a known person or left to the mercy of predators all over the place?
[b]really? be reasonable so what if they were married at that age and things worked out well for them? does that mean it should be legalised?/b]
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by sweet9ja: 2:23pm On Jul 30, 2011
Thanks, thanks Beaf, you said it all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

IBORI: British Prosecutor Retracts Claims On Oando Shares / 2015: Nigeria will collapse if Jonathan fail to win the Presidency- Ifeduba / Vendetta: Dambazau Shuts DSS Boss Out Of Security Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.