Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,542 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 (4924 Views)

Buhari, Wife Should Be Advocates Of Child Rights — Onyeka Onwenu / Guber Poll: Oba Of Lagos Reads Riot Act To Igbo... The Sun / Pakistani Child Rights Activist Malala Yousafzai Visits President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by koruji(m): 2:24pm On Jul 30, 2011
Since I think 18 is ok as a definition of mature, the speaker is the one that needs to inform us of his preferred age.

The "barely out diapers" is my way of setting a lower bound for him. So ask the speaker which one he would prefer 18, 17, 16, 15, 14. . . Barely out of diapers leaves out pre-teens, and that is merely a lower bound - 18 is appropriate in my view.

BTW this has nothing with suicide rates - FYI the Nigerian system is built for mass "suicide" in my opinion from birth to the meagre average life-span of about 50 years. Western countries have one of the highest lifespans in the world.

BetaThings:

What is barely out of diapers? anyone less than 18? In Sweden, the age of consent is 15. So are they out of diapers?   My problem is that we have on account of innovation leadership concede all reasoning to the west. Th eother day, it was somebody saying that Jonathan and Sambo should be wearing suits. What part of our culture are we not going to jettison
Our suicide rates are lower in part because of certain cultural practices eg extended family. Can we cope with higher suicide rates
If we copy all the time, those people will never respect us
Rapid? It is either ok or not. If it is ok, why the delay? Of course, it is really disgusting
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by sweetgala(m): 2:32pm On Jul 30, 2011
"Ibrahim insisted that for any provision of the ACT that contravenes the principles of Islamic, the controversy would be resolved in favour of Islamic law.”

When did we start making changes to the federal law based on the notion that Islam has to be favoured, this man should concentrate on stopping child molestation and perversity but he would rather legalize a moral crime, but he must know that God is no man to be deceived.

Some of us in here have come to display the mental poverty and moral absence that is destroying our said loved nation, when apparently sane individuals make a rather bigoted connection between homosexuality and the abuse of children without any positive conclusion I cry for the country.  The rampant homophobia that grips Africa and third world countries is dangerous , how can you grant civil liberties without the freedom of association by choice , man-lover people by nature of the equality of man before God must be allowed to live without fear of persecution in a free world. Forgive my digression from topic

Now to the issue of child abuse , we are in a progressing world but some one some where thinks it is morally just to take a child who is yet to receive the right of choice , not experienced the storm before the calm, the joy and burden of friendship and the trials and tribulations of life and force her future unto servitude of some aboki without education, when said aboki dies what is to be her fate?  .
These are the traits of corrupt men with a goal to maximize self gain and influence society to concede to their evil countenance, western countries can have an age of consent relatively low because the moral strength of those societies check such barbaric behaviors , did anyone see the witch hunt of all the MP in the UK over claiming scandal last year, such would not even garner public interest Herr in naija, we are so used to abuse of regulations its has become acceptable.

A law is required because several alhajis , and ravenous individuals a waiting to abuse with vengeance such a reduction in age. Northern elites need to stop focusing on religion and using it as a card when they need to force the hand of the FG and the country.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by koruji(m): 2:42pm On Jul 30, 2011
It would be appropriate to measure something on the basis of your religion when you keep it your private affair, not when it concerns the future of another person. You can teach your religion to your kids, but should not use it to put them in such servitude that they will never escape from because someone considers them mature enough for THEIR NEEDS.

Religious laws were largely codifications of way of life when they were written. A lot of those codes are eternal (and the world will do well to return to these), but correspondingly a lot of those laws are outdated and needs to be done away with.

claremont: Marriageable age is subjective, and varies depending on a lot of factors one of which could be religion. Therefore, the opinion of the Muslims cannot be said to be wrong, because they are measuring the marriageable age of a girl on the basis of the provisions of their religion which is entirely appropriate.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Arnold1(m): 2:46pm On Jul 30, 2011
kobojunkie, are you into women ? (i.e. a leeesbiann) ?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by maasoap(m): 2:47pm On Jul 30, 2011
I haven't seen anyone attacked the vatican city for its average age of 12 yrs but always ready to attack anything that has Islamic origin and that's why this society can never be the same again. Can Southern part of the country (most esp South-South and South-East) claim that it's protecting its girl children? This question is as a result of high rate of girl children trafficking incidence as well as high numbers of teenage single mothers. So, every new policy as its own merits and demerits just like the old one. Concerning education, it has been proved beyond reasonable doubt that marriage doesn't prevent one from advancing in one's education, be a man or a woman.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Akanbiedu(m): 2:58pm On Jul 30, 2011
Lol ing at the epic fail of another Islam-bashing thread. Seems the best way to show these ignorant, "bookish" southerners folly is to show them that their masters are doing the same. This is the only reason Islam has not been so bashed in this thread. Thanks to elders (agbalagbis) in the house who still have some dignity.

These ignoramus would rather have bastards born out of wedlock by so called under-aged girls or have many abortions carried out in their backyard than hear anything that is derived from Islam. They are even more comfortable with gay-marriages! What a pathetic life.

All we hear is BIG BIG certificates but no original thinking.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Kobojunkie: 2:59pm On Jul 30, 2011
maasoap:

I haven't seen anyone attacked the vatican city for its average age of 12 yrs but always ready to attack anything that has Islamic origin and that's why this society can never be the same again.

Vatican State

The Vatican does not have its own separate criminal code. Instead, in matters of criminal law, as per Article 3 of the "Law of the Source of Law" (one of the six fundamental laws adopted upon ratification of the Lateran Treaty in 1929) the Vatican State generally uses current Italian national law, as well as regional and municipal laws for Rome, as long as they do not conflict with ecclesiastical law or laws specifically promulgated by Pope for the Vatican.[46] As a result, the age of consent is the same as that of Italy. Before January 1, 2009, the adoption by the Vatican of changes made by Italy in its laws was automatic. After this date, the Vatican adoption of changes in Italian law is no longer automatic but comes into effect only after a review.[47] However, as Italy adopted its present age of consent before January 1, 2009, this change in Vatican policy does not affect the age of consent in Vatican City, which remains the same as that of Italy.
The claim is sometimes made that "In the Vatican State, there is an equal age of consent set at 12 years of age",[48] but this is incorrect. In 1929, when the Lateran Treaty was signed, the age of consent in Italy was 12,[49], and this was indeed adopted by the Vatican. However, as stated above, the rise in the Italian age of consent applied automatically to the Vatican City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe#Vatican_State
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by sweetgala(m): 3:06pm On Jul 30, 2011
Religious laws were largely codifications of way of life when they were written. A lot of those codes are eternal (and the world will do well to return to these), but correspondingly a lot of those laws are outdated and needs to be done away with.

Truth , this simple concept of progress needs to be revealed so that religious thieves and political scoundrel do not harvest ancient social practices and use them as a confirm their silly arguments.

Mohammed marry pickin in a time when it socially alright to do so, we are in modern times women need to go to school get an education and use their talents for the benefit of a nation bereft of God loving men, rather than breaking her young womb and back serving an equally illiterate aboki with boko haramic leaning.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by seunlayi(m): 3:17pm On Jul 30, 2011
zikclassiq:

Na wa o! That is taking advantage of young girls without taking into consideration their long time health effect.
I luv my girl who is 19, i'm 24. But i would wait till she's atleast 22 wen she has finished uni. I wont do anything to hurt MY BABY!
Good, I hope you can hold on till that time
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by WebSurfer(m): 3:24pm On Jul 30, 2011
not bad at all
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 30, 2011
sweet_gala:

"Ibrahim insisted that for any provision of the ACT that contravenes the principles of Islamic, the controversy would be resolved in favour of Islamic law.”

When did we start making changes to the federal law based on the notion that Islam has to be favoured, this man should concentrate on stopping child molestation and perversity but he would rather legalize a moral crime, but he must know that God is no man to be deceived.

Some of us in here have come to display the mental poverty and moral absence that is destroying our said loved nation, when apparently sane individuals make a rather bigoted connection between homosexuality and the abuse of children without any positive conclusion I cry for the country.  The rampant homophobia that grips Africa and third world countries is dangerous , how can you grant civil liberties without the freedom of association by choice , man-lover people by nature of the equality of man before God must be allowed to live without fear of persecution in a free world. Forgive my digression from topic

Now to the issue of child abuse , we are in a progressing world but some one some where thinks it is morally just to take a child who is yet to receive the right of choice , not experienced the storm before the calm, the joy and burden of friendship and the trials and tribulations of life and force her future unto servitude of some aboki without, when said aboki dies what is to be her fate? .
These are the traits of corrupt men with a goal to maximize self gain and influence society to concede to their evil countenance, western countries can have an age of consent relatively low because the moral strength of those societies check such barbaric behaviors , did anyone see the witch hunt of all the MP in the UK over claiming scandal last year, such would not even garner public interest Herr in naija, we are so used to abuse of regulations its has become acceptable.

A law is required because several alhajis , and ravenous individuals a waiting to abuse with vengeance such a reduction in age. Northern elites need to stop focusing on religion and using it as a card when they need to force the hand of the FG and the country.

Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by tlops(m): 3:44pm On Jul 30, 2011
A 15-year-old Swedish boy has been convicted of child sex crimes for having sex with his 13-year-old girlfriend.
In a ruling handed down on Tuesday, the Court of Appeal for Skåne and Blekinge overturned an acquittal issued by the Helsingborg District Court in May, the local Helsingborg Dagbladet (HD) newspaper reported.

Even though the boy claims he and the girl had consensual sex, the appeals court ruled that there is no proof that the sex was indeed consensual and that it's not clear the sex wasn't an attack against the 13-year-old girl.

According to the court, the age difference between the two teens is great enough that the 15-year-old boy must be held accountable for his actions.

The boy was charged with sexually exploiting a child after police learned that he and his 13-year-old girlfriend had sex back in February.

The girl later divulged the affair to her mother, who then reported it to police.

The boy has denied committing any crime, claiming that he and his girlfriend were in love with one another and that the sex was completely voluntary.

However, the 13-year-old girl is of a different opinion, HD reported.

Previously, a divided district court had accepted the boy's version of events, taking the view that the age difference between the boy and the girl was insignificant and ruling there was no evidence that he forced the girl to have sex.

At the time of the incident, the girl was 13 years and 10 months old, while the boy was 15 years and 5 months.

According to Swedish law, the age of consent is 15 and anyone who has sex with someone younger than 15-years-old can be charged with sexual exploitation of a child, or, in more serious cases, child rape.

Like the district court, the court of appeal was divided in its ruling, with one lay judge arguing the boy should have been acquitted.

Nevertheless, the court convicted the 15-year-old, sentencing him to community service.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by ektbear: 4:55pm On Jul 30, 2011
Getting married at 16 should be possible. But 9, 10, 13 and such imo should not be possible.

And as for a 16 year old marrying some 50 year old man (or even 30+). . . well, that to me should also not be possible. Once she turns 18 she can make that decision.

I'm kind of envisioning more high school sweethearts, say 16 and 18 getting married. Not some octogenarian marrying a 16 year old as his 10th wife  undecided
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by BetaThings: 5:35pm On Jul 30, 2011
Jakumo:

The above described law is essentially what the United States legislature applies and rigidly enforces for her citizens.  The state of Utah's mormon polygamists who flout both monogamy and Age of Consent laws are investigated, arrested, tried and summarily jailed for bigamy and/or child molestation, as appplicable. 

US prisons and penitentiaries are in fact chock-full of adults who crossed the "jail-bait" line of 18 years old, in search of zexual healing, only to earn a swift trial and sentencing.   

Nigeria need not emulate ALL laws implemented in the free West, but any legislation that protects under-18 year old CHILDREN from molestation by over-18 adults is a damned good example to follow.
Is this "copy and paste" approach that we are going to adopt at our sovereign national conference?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by NegroNtns(m): 6:00pm On Jul 30, 2011
To the people that say 18 is age of maturity, what is your view on a 16yr old whose body and desire is ripe and yearning for serxval contact? Are you saying you know better than her natural instinct?

I think the matter need to be a family decision and the government need to meddle in it with regulations.

What needs to be regulated is corrupt politicians and gay and lesbian acts and almajiri.

A 25yr old gay and lesbian is more destructive and worse off for the collective community than a 15yr old engaged in consntual heteroserxval inter-course.

To those who use America as gold standard for what age is maturity, let me remind that in heartland of America there are communities - Amish and FDLS- where 13yr olds are married and in fact polygamy is practiced and the statutory family laws of America are inapplicable.

Let us not regulate but leave this matter in tthe hands of familly and parents to manage as they deem fit.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by dayokanu(m): 6:26pm On Jul 30, 2011
eldee:

It is silly to change the marriage age, in the countries listed above . . . the marriage age is a reflection of the individual age of adulthood in the countries.
In Nigeria, a 15 year old is still a kid, the average school leaving age is 18, at least according to the 6-3-3-4 system. . .why will it make sense to allow them to get married now?

Are you saying a 13yr old Spanish girl is an adult or a 14yr old Italian girl is an adult?

And why are we making this a religion issue when Italy and Spain are about 90% christian population.

@Kobojunkie,

If you try to absolve the Vatican age of 12, That they follow the Italian age, Can I ask that is the age of 14 that italy adopt is it ok for girls?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 30, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

To the people that say 18 is age of maturity, what is your view on a 16yr old whose body and desire is ripe and yearning for serxval contact?  Are you saying you know  better than her natural instinct?

I think the matter need to be a family decision and the government need to meddle in it with regulations.

What needs to be regulated is corrupt politicians and man-lover and lady-loving-lady acts and almajiri.

A 25yr old man-lover and lady-loving-lady is more destructive and worse off for the collective community than a 15yr old engaged in consntual heteroserxval inter-course.

To those who use America as gold standard for what age is maturity, let me remind that in heartland of America there are communities - Amish and FDLS- where 13yr olds are married and in fact polygamy is practiced and the statutory family laws of America are inapplicable.

Let us not regulate but leave this matter in tthe hands of familly and parents to manage as they deem fit.  

Why is that the day Islam entered Nigeria, Ignorance and backwardness got their visas approved at the northern port of entry to Nigeria??

Being ripe and looking sexy/having wet dreams doesn't equate maturity mr "copying the west",  Being mature is all about how you handle situations, how you behave around people, how you talk, the decisions you make, and the way you live, I don't think you can attain that unless you have life experience with constant rise and fall in decision making independently, Pushing someone who doesn't know what is right for them into marriage because they look sexy and have wet dreams is about the most ignorant thing you lot Islamic apologists can support, I accept your supporting Islamic bank but Toju omo e  Eyin elesin Imole ti e fe ni ogbon kon kon mo yi, FREEDOM FREEDOM TO HELL WITH ISLAM

How is a 24yrs old gayy worst than child molesters? Nigerian Christians and Muslims need to find a way to wrap their heads around the fact that if they say gay people should be executed, Yerima and those NNortherners/Muslims who married 17 and below kids should roasted too,

How does a gay person affect the life of people? An uneducated kid getting married at 16 is more harmful, Bang bang bang shoot them down!!!

dayokanu:

Are you saying a 13yr old Spanish girl is an adult or a 14yr old Italian girl is an adult?

And why are we making this a religion issue when Italy and Spain are about 90% christian population.

@Kobojunkie,

If you try to absolve the Vatican age of 12, That they follow the Italian age, Can I ask that is the age of 14 that italy adopt is it ok for girls?

That the Templar knights are ignorant doesn't mean we have to be too, Everybody should be free bothe to make life changing decisions and also have choices with no attached benefits or detriment. The benefits and detriments should come naturally with the choices,

Get it to wrap around your heads
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by sweetgala(m): 6:40pm On Jul 30, 2011
What needs to be regulated is corrupt politicians and man-lover and lady-loving-lady acts and almajiri.

A 25yr old man-lover and lady-loving-lady is more destructive and worse off for the collective community than a 15yr old engaged in consntual heteroserxval inter-course.

While my desire is to call you a fool, I am compelled by a text in the bible that advocates against labelling a felow man as such.

May I ask you how to you intend to  regulate the choice in a democratic state or the freedom of man before God.
While I am strongly against same sex union or public display of affection , I am also offended by your public display of stupidity.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by dayokanu(m): 6:42pm On Jul 30, 2011
0lumide:

Why is that the day Islam entered Nigeria, Ignorance and backwardness got their visas approved at the northern port of entry to Nigeria??

FREEDOM FREEDOM TO HELL WITH ISLAM
That the Templar knights are ignorant doesn't mean we have to be too, Everybody should be free bothe to make life changing decisions and also have choices with no attached benefits or detriment. The benefits and detriments should come naturally with the choices,

Get it to wrap around your heads

WHy should you in any way relate this to Islam and absolve Christianity of it even in the face of glaring evidence
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by NegroNtns(m): 6:56pm On Jul 30, 2011
Olumide,

Somehow you pepper your responses to my posts in ways to suggest you hate my faith.

I have told you repeatedly and in many ways that my worship and religion is an internal one. Outwardly I see people, I don't see religion. There are bad and good christians just as there are bad and good moslems. Its not the religion but the people.

Your outward view differs from mine and you believe christians are good and moslems are bad. You are entitled to your view. So far I have restrained myself from attacking you on a personal level, its out of respect. I believe you should continue to enjoy my respecct. Howevver, I intend this to be the last such goodwill to you. Any further attack of my view will be reciprocated.

Discuss objectively with me not with religious bias. If you want to engage me in religious discoursse I alreaddy gave an open invitation and you turned it down.

So do me a favor, I don't want any more of your narrow view on my faith and how I express it. Allright?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by NegroNtns(m): 7:03pm On Jul 30, 2011
Dayo, the dude is obsessive, very fanatical views on religion.

Nobody is talking about religion, when he saw my post and what I said that got him enraged and spitting all that venom. But this is it for him
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by NegroNtns(m): 7:05pm On Jul 30, 2011
Sweet gala, do you want discussion or war of words? I am comfortable with both.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by sweetgala(m): 7:12pm On Jul 30, 2011
Negro_ntns
I would rather a discussion my felow patriot. But a man with ideals so strong as are mine must be willing to defend such ideals without remorse instantaneously.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 30, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Olumide,

Somehow you pepper your responses to my posts in ways to suggest you hate my faith.

I have told you repeatedly and in many ways that my worship and religion is an internal one. Outwardly I see people, I don't see religion. There are bad and good christians just as there are bad and good moslems. Its not the religion but the people.

Your outward view differs from mine and you believe christians are good and moslems are bad. You are entitled to your view. So far I have restrained myself from attacking you on a personal level, its out of respect. I believe you should continue to enjoy my respecct. Howevver, I intend this to be the last such goodwill to you. Any further attack of my view will be reciprocated.

Discuss objectively with me not with religious bias. If you want to engage me in religious discoursse I alreaddy gave an open invitation and you turned it down.

So do me a favor, I don't want any more of your narrow view on my faith and how I express it. Allright?

I highly doubt me and you ever discussed anything on NL talkless of discussing religion, I hate both Islam and Christianity so I don't make it a religious issue if you guy stop trying to find ways to infuse religious practices into our constitution, All of you should move to mecca or jerusalem,

Your religions came from thousands of years ago when human sophistication was stiull evolving, The world is too sophisticated to be explained in religious issues, You didn;'t object any of the points I raised against just plain lying that you have told me what before?

I raised points that will make those mallam pedo upnorth know cauz she looks sexy don't mean she is matured, yet you didn't try to defend your own point instead you were lying about telling me what? Negro_NTn do better, I know you are intelligent if you can type some stuffs I have seen you post on NL, I don't care if they do all over the world, Oun ti o da o da!!!

Ada fun e oo omo MAMA MI LEKO, buT LEAVE RELIGION OR ANYTHING THAT SUPPORTS RELIGION OR SUPPORTED BY OUT OF POLITICAL MATTERS,

Both religions say stealing is bad but so is moral so religion can't dictate shiiit to human lives and how they live it,

Northerners say southerners are trying to be like the west; I say they are trying to be like the backward Arabs,

How's Lagos Egbon mi, Come back to our ancestors, many lagosians by the millions are on this page and are seeing the truth about the lies of manipulative religions,

Xtianity in Nigeria: Financial manipulation

Islam in Nigeria: Political manipulation!!!!!!

With all the care and community/give give that islam preaches, what did the Northerners do with all the money they got? And they get more than south, Still they have people living like savages,

With all the love Xtianity has preached in the south what do we get? Pastors buying jets, buiiding schools with tithe and offering money yet the people who gave those tithes and offerings can't affiord the schools they built with their money,

God punish all una Imams and pastors,

negro_ntn, join the movement and let's start preaching against these manipulative and destructive ideologies grin grin grin grin grin seriously,

Edumare bless you jor omo iya!!!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by NegroNtns(m): 7:41pm On Jul 30, 2011
<Quote>
May I ask you how to you intend to  regulate the choice in a democratic state or the freedom of man before God.
While I am strongly against same sex union or public display of affection ,
</quote>

I am glad you used the word "democratic", which means a system of governance that empowers the voice and choice of the people.

There are certain behaviors and relationships in the society which are not popular for the mainstream to adopt but ought to be vigorously reviewed in view of their benefits and efect on the collective community.

Democracy does not forbid religious morals. Neither does it advocate it. It leaves open for the people to steer their community in the way they desire, for or against religious practice or lack of. As long as majority agree to it then the voice of the community has spoken and democracy is practiced.

The question is in a multi-cultural society with diverse and inharmonious principles, who is majority?

Is majority the few ruling class above the voices of the multitude they label minority; or should we say majority is a head count of any monolithic stance and integral presence?

In apartheid South Africa, majority was the ruling class which was far outnumbered by the voices of their victims.

In Jim Crow America, and prior to the civil rights act of 1964, the majority is white which is few when compared with the non-white.

The laws in American statutes have their roots in the desire of the ruling class to create a distinct physical and psychological barrier against the black people and stunt their expression and aspirations in competition for parity with the white man.

So when talking of democracy in a Nigerian context, we need to know who is majority and who is minority in a homoserxval discussion? It maybe about liberty for America to have homos and laws that protect homos but for us its not about liberty, the majority in our society desire to keep our moral codes and that rules does not have room for homo practices.

We should not confuse homo as a indicator for civilization, instead as a precursor for imminent damnatioin.

This is why I said for the collective (majority), a 16yr old in hetero is a far more adoptable way, and natural for it, than a consenting adults in an unnatural act of homo.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by tlops(m): 7:43pm On Jul 30, 2011
The difference between age of consent and marriage age (Adulthood). Is because consensual sex does not necessarily holds commitment (of the parties involved) while marriage involves legal bonds. Also we need to consider the society as well, there are societal factors that may influence maturity.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by koruji(m): 7:57pm On Jul 30, 2011
There is no christain code that accepts sending kids into marriage. That some so-called christians do it does not make it a christian code of conduct. The mormons of Utah are going back to the time of Abraham/Moses to support their polygamy, but their pushing of young kids into marriage finds no support anywhere. We also know that the founder of Christianity (Christ) spoke about a one-man one-wife rule.

So the issue really is about the code of conduct accepted by a religion, not whether it is being flouted. The catholic church became notorious for priests molesting boys, but they know that no christian rule condones that - in fact if that practice continues that church will go down the drain, and that is what should happen to any religion that encourages the molestation of kids by omission or commission.

The problem is that religious rules are supposed to aim for the ideals of spirituality, and there is no justification for a religion in this day and age to insist that its long-gone age rules, particularly one that changes the direction of another human beings life irreversibly, should be enforced to satisfy another's desire - this is not about God's desire, but human desire.

dayokanu:

WHy should you in any way relate this to Islam and absolve Christianity of it even in the face of glaring evidence
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by NegroNtns(m): 7:58pm On Jul 30, 2011
Olumide,

Your neutral stance is understandable. You can influence thoughts and views better and get support if you will use few sentences to condemn what you detest in christianity and islam and plenty of sentences to advocate a better option to the detestable religious practices in convincing tones.

If you come across as venting, which you did, you will get defenses instead of reflections from your audience.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 30, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

<Quote>
While I am strongly against same sex union or public display of affection ,
</quote>

I am glad you used the word "democratic", which means a system of governance that empowers the voice and choice of the people.

There are certain behaviors and relationships in the society which are not popular for the mainstream to adopt but ought to be vigorously reviewed in view of their benefits and efect on the collective community.

Democracy does not forbid religious morals. Neither does it advocate it. It leaves open for the people to steer their community in the way they desire, for or against religious practice or lack of. As long as majority agree to it then the voice of the community has spoken and democracy is practiced.

The question is in a multi-cultural society with diverse and inharmonious principles, who is majority? 

Is majority the few ruling class above the voices of the multitude they label minority; or should we say majority is a head count of any monolithic stance and integral presence?

In apartheid South Africa, majority was the ruling class which was far outnumbered by the voices of their victims.

In Jim Crow America, and prior to the civil rights act of 1964, the majority is white which is few when compared with the non-white.

The laws in American statutes have their roots in the desire of the ruling class to create a distinct physical and psychological barrier against the black people and stunt their expression and aspirations in competition for parity with the white man.

So when talking of democracy in a Nigerian context, we need to know who is majority and who is minority in a homoserxval discussion? It maybe about liberty for America to have homos and laws that protect homos but for us its not about liberty, the majority in our society desire to keep our moral codes and that rules does not have room for homo practices.

We should not confuse homo as a indicator for civilization, instead as a precursor for imminent damnatioin.

This is why I said for the collective (majority), a 16yr old in hetero is a far more adoptable way, and natural for it, than a consenting adults in an unnatural act of homo.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Obiagu1(m): 8:51pm On Jul 30, 2011
Lawyers will soon ruin this world!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Obiagu1(m): 8:56pm On Jul 30, 2011
claremont on Today at 10:24:03 AM:

Marriageable age is subjective, and varies depending on a lot of factors one of which could be religion. Therefore, the opinion of the Muslims cannot be said to be wrong, because they are measuring the marriageable age of a girl on the basis of the provisions of their religion which is entirely appropriate.

obiagu1 on Today at 05:54:41 AM:

Of course I did, you said "are still married off by their parents, siblings, , " but I was talking about age of consent.

Anyway, I'm not interested in the age Muslims marry. That's not my business.

My concern is age of consent, which I think should be as low as 13, and the increase in homosexuality.
My first post was a response to Dayo's post on age of consent of several countries.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Obiagu1(m): 8:58pm On Jul 30, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Give Us Deputy Governor Slot Or Forget Our Votes- Igbo Leaders Tell Lagos PDP / DSS Refuse To Produce Radio Biafra Director, Nnamdi Kanu – Lawyer / Fmr. President Goodluck Jonathan Visited Tony Anenih And This Was What Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.