Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,498 members, 7,816,190 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 (4922 Views)

Buhari, Wife Should Be Advocates Of Child Rights — Onyeka Onwenu / Guber Poll: Oba Of Lagos Reads Riot Act To Igbo... The Sun / Pakistani Child Rights Activist Malala Yousafzai Visits President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jul 30, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

<Quote>
May I ask you how to you intend to  regulate the choice in a democratic state or the freedom of man before God.
While I am strongly against same sex union or public display of affection ,
</quote>

I am glad you used the word "democratic", which means a system of governance that empowers the voice and choice of the people.

There are certain behaviors and relationships in the society which are not popular for the mainstream to adopt but ought to be vigorously reviewed in view of their benefits and efect on the collective community.

Democracy does not forbid religious morals. Neither does it advocate it. It leaves open for the people to steer their community in the way they desire, for or against religious practice or lack of. As long as majority agree to it then the voice of the community has spoken and democracy is practiced.

The question is in a multi-cultural society with diverse and inharmonious principles, who is majority?  

Is majority the few ruling class above the voices of the multitude they label minority; or should we say majority is a head count of any monolithic stance and integral presence?

In apartheid South Africa, majority was the ruling class which was far outnumbered by the voices of their victims.

In Jim Crow America, and prior to the civil rights act of 1964, the majority is white which is few when compared with the non-white.

The laws in American statutes have their roots in the desire of the ruling class to create a distinct physical and psychological barrier against the black people and stunt their expression and aspirations in competition for parity with the white man.

So when talking of democracy in a Nigerian context, we need to know who is majority and who is minority in a homoserxval discussion? It maybe about liberty for America to have homos and laws that protect homos but for us its not about liberty, the majority in our society desire to keep our moral codes and that rules does not have room for homo practices.

We should not confuse homo as a indicator for civilization, instead as a precursor for imminent damnatioin.

This is why I said for the collective (majority), a 16yr old in hetero is a far more adoptable way, and natural for it, than a consenting adults in an unnatural act of homo.

one thing i have always advocated for is this: Freedom is universal but democracy is just as good as how smart, independent, educated and unbias citizens are so democracy is not universal but freedom is!!!

Same sex marriage is not the issue here sire, and we can't use the name of god to decide morals as morals/god differs across ethnicity, nationalities and race so it isn't universal,  

Many views aren't popular in mainstream culture and I will say

We can not condemn homos as a precursor for imminent damnatioin.; what we should consider is freedom as imminent and unavoidable for civilization,  Can man-lover people do what they do without it having effect on anyone else? YES! Then we have no basis to support freedom and deny gayss their rights to existence based on our religious beliefs,

First of all, gayys and 16yrs old marriage are not issues of same effects,  Stop bringing nature into it sire,  monkeys mount themselves,  Yes male monkeys mount themselves,  And thank god they are not "western"
An adult who wakes up and decided to be man-lover while going about it's other daily lives like drinking, working, exercising, etc,  is more acceptable than a sixteen yrs old  GIVEN out to marriage by her parents or his parents,

The 16yrs old can barely understand emotions,  Some one has to like them, they can also like someone. They need their childhood not being thrown into marriage life,

The more sophisticated a society is, the more time it takes for a child to be fully matured. Animals mature 19 times faster than humans do because their lives are very simple. Nigerian society like any other in the world is too sophisticated for anyone even 29 to understand well talkless of a 24 like me or 13 years old like the kid Yerima married,

Dude first of all, if that is your definition of democracy, then you still give me more reason to believe democracy is as evil as dictatorship just that democracy has a majority support,

If 2 people want to eat apple and I want orange, is it fair for  them to force Orange on me? That is what democracy in your context is about. The majority rule is as barbaric as it gets,  51% of the nation is Muslim, does that mean 49% should be forced into Islam? That's the beginning of uprisings, the beggining of rebellion and the beginning of murder etc,  (Note that Nigeria is not 51% Muslims just an example)

Should the other religions rebel against the majority, it will be equally distributed bloodshed but those oppressed into the rule of the majority will have more thirst for blood bath,

Is that what democracy is about to you? Majority rule is not democratic if Democracy supports freedom (I still stand by my Freedom for all without democracy)

What our democratic system does is send 100million people with ethnic bias, religious bias, sexuality bias, all sorts of biases to the polls every 4 years,  Unless people are ideologically positively brain washed through education and entertainment, I'm afraid these biases will remain there,  The ideologically positive brainwash needed to bring people together can't be found in divisive religions like Islam and Christianity. Even if a nation is 99% one of the two, in a democratic nation, there will still be biases etc,  Hence why Saudi Arabia is ruled by a single family,

Majority rule is a precursor for disaster!!!

Yes there are certain practices not popular in mainstream but that includes other non child abusive practices like marrying out 16yrs old in a highly complex society like Nigeria's,  The complexity of our society if put into consideration will raise the marriage age to about 28,  Yes because even 28yrs olds fail woefully,  Untill 18yrs olds in Nigeria can afford to live alone, and be financially independent, make life changing decisions etc, I'm sorry, I think 18 as the marriage age still isn't enough, 

Banning of weed is a majority thing in Nigeria but we all know marijuana's medical benefits far numbs the negative effects which still haven't been proven,  So is the majoruty right? Majority voted in Hitler you know?

The infusion of religion can be democratic if 99.9% votes in for a constitution amendment to have sharia as the only source of law, But the truth is this,  our constitution clearly said to separate church/mosque from state. You know why the constitution was so? Because the lawyers and philosophers who wrote that constitution know given religion as a platform, backwardness and war will have it's way,

Law of the nation surpasses law of any religion,  Why is it that only traditionalists are the ones keeping their religion personal? not shouting on sunday mornings or yelling from loud speakers every 5am, 2pm, 7pm etc,

The constitution decides if a system is democratic and democracy doesn't dictate to whether a constitution is democratic! Because before the name Democracy, the ideologies of "democracy" were already in practice,

The constitution determines a democracy so that voids your line (Democracy does not forbid religious morals. Neither does it advocate it. It leaves open for the people to steer their community in the way they desire, for or against religious practice or lack of.), And I said, 100 dummies can't vote for what's right by self conviction hence the cajoling campaigns, promises of politicians etc, all to get dummies to feel smart by basing their choice on biases mixed with cajoling campain promises,

Dude hope you now see that grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Orunmila a la ono orun fun e ti ojor e ba kpey la ye oo,  Edumare a je ko kpe toh bo shay fe laye ooo,
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Obiagu1(m): 9:00pm On Jul 30, 2011
This is one of the reasons I said lawyers will ruin this world.

A 15 yr old in trouble because he had intimacy with his 13 yr old girlfriend. Crazy!

tlops:

A 15-year-old Swedish boy has been convicted of child sex crimes for Being Intimate with his 13-year-old girlfriend.
In a ruling handed down on Tuesday, the Court of Appeal for Skåne and Blekinge overturned an acquittal issued by the Helsingborg District Court in May, the local Helsingborg Dagbladet (HD) newspaper reported.

Even though the boy claims he and the girl had consensual sex, the appeals court ruled that there is no proof that the sex was indeed consensual and that it's not clear the sex wasn't an attack against the 13-year-old girl.

According to the court, the age difference between the two teens is great enough that the 15-year-old boy must be held accountable for his actions.

The boy was charged with sexually exploiting a child after police learned that he and his 13-year-old girlfriend Were Intimate back in February.

The girl later divulged the affair to her mother, who then reported it to police.

The boy has denied committing any crime, claiming that he and his girlfriend were in love with one another and that the sex was completely voluntary.

However, the 13-year-old girl is of a different opinion, HD reported.

Previously, a divided district court had accepted the boy's version of events, taking the view that the age difference between the boy and the girl was insignificant and ruling there was no evidence that he forced the girl to Be Intimate.

At the time of the incident, the girl was 13 years and 10 months old, while the boy was 15 years and 5 months.

According to Swedish law, the age of consent is 15 and anyone who has sex with someone younger than 15-years-old can be charged with intimate exploitation of a child, or, in more serious cases, child violation.

Like the district court, the court of appeal was divided in its ruling, with one lay judge arguing the boy should have been acquitted.

Nevertheless, the court convicted the 15-year-old, sentencing him to community service.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 30, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Olumide,

Your neutral stance is understandable. You can influence thoughts and views better and get support if you will use few sentences to condemn what you detest in christianity and islam and plenty of sentences to advocate a better option to the detestable religious practices in convincing tones.

If you come across as venting, which you did, you will get defenses instead of reflections from your audience.   

My acceptance gas for the two religion has been exhausted. People are dying, starving, wallowing in illiteracy/ignorance, yet all these eeediotic Imams and pastors preach is nonsense,

imams sending kids to beg on the street and and and collecting the money from the poor kids cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Y'all wait till I get back,  The reall Aare ona kankafo is returning!!! I will crush all your Ideologies and fight till death for Yorubas to remain Yorubas, for Igbos to remain Igbos, for Hausa to remain Hausa,  If not possible, I will fight for Yorubas alone. Cyber warrior? Wait and see,  The placid surface of the sea could mean the sign of a rising storm!

Many Yorubas from Cuba, Brazil, Barbadosetc,  the Americas are coming and the movement is stronger than ever!! We are coming home!!! Lagos is our Mecca, our Jerusalem, our Harlem!! The sea is our power, as long as you drink water, you must fight for what's right,  Because if water is to fight for what's wrong, it will turn itself into crude oil and leave you all to thirst!!!

We are coming!!! Yoruba's Renaissance
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by sweetgala(m): 9:29pm On Jul 30, 2011
Negro ntns, A good argument you have put forward with deserving sitatons, however I would be using those same as the basis of my case
The question is in a multi-cultural society with diverse and inharmonious principles, who is majority?

In apartheid South Africa, majority was the ruling class which was far outnumbered by the voices of their victims.

In Jim Crow America, and prior to the civil rights act of 1964, the majority is white which is few when compared with the non-white.

So when talking of democracy in a Nigerian context, we need to know who is majority and who is minority in a homoserxval discussion

You remind me of that "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others"

You see we are not animals and thus should not live in a world of predator and prey , no man should be subjected to another without consent and the subjection of opinion is harmful to society as it generates rebellion.
I THROW THE BALL IN YOUR COURT , IS IT MORALLY JUST TO ENACT A PRINCIPLE THAT ALL MEN ARE EQUAL BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS.

Forgive me for my apparent disregard for the religious standard but they would not stand me in good stead. And you already helped to disengage religion in a discuss over civil liberties and freedom.
I am a man of great faith but without religion and so I am excused to hold such blasphemous opinions.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by deadie(m): 9:30pm On Jul 30, 2011
Mohammed married Amina at 6 and slept with her at 9. Muslims aims to be like him or even better, so to that I say, make the legal age of marriage 5 for muslim girls  grin grin grin
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by seyibrown(f): 9:47pm On Jul 30, 2011
Why should a multi-religious country accept the decrees of one religion? They already believe Islamic Law to be superior to Nigerian Law, why should the age limit in the CRA be lowered since Nigerian Law doesn't prevent Muslims from marrying children? Allah has nothing to do with the Child Rights Act otherwise he would have written it alongside with the Koran and Hadiths and made it clear that the age limit is 0! Non-muslims DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE ISLAMIC LAW, why do Muslims always try to enforce Islamic Law on others or in matters that have nothing to do with religion?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by sweetgala(m): 9:53pm On Jul 30, 2011
Mohammed was upholding the law of the land when he married the little girl , if the law said not to the prophet would not. Mohammed did not write the rules neither did Jesus both lived by the laws of the land where such were just.
We are modern people with a moral compass different through separation of time and thus we must survive or perish by modern laws
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by udezue(m): 11:37pm On Jul 30, 2011
The man is nothing but an Islamic pedoph!le.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by aljharem3: 11:42pm On Jul 30, 2011
udezue:

The man is nothing but an Islamic pedoph!le.

u have started again angry
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by jmaine: 12:12am On Jul 31, 2011
Wonder why religious based discussion tend to attract huge write ups undecided
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by jmaine: 12:15am On Jul 31, 2011
0lumide:

Y'all wait till I get back, The reall Aare ona kankafo is returning!!! I will crush all your Ideologies and fight till death for Yorubas to remain Yorubas, for Igbos to remain Igbos, for Hausa to remain Hausa, If not possible, I will fight for Yorubas alone. Cyber warrior? Wait and see, The placid surface of the sea could mean the sign of a rising storm!

Many Yorubas from Cuba, Brazil, Barbadosetc, the Americas are coming and the movement is stronger than ever!! We are coming home!!! Lagos is our Mecca, our Jerusalem, our Harlem!! The sea is our power, as long as you drink water, you must be fight for what's right, Because if water is to fight for what's wrong, it will turn itself into crude oil and leave you all to thirst!!!

We are coming!!! Yoruba's Renaissance

All this line na for movie scene you get am cheesy cheesy . . . .
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 2:28am On Jul 31, 2011
jmaine:

All this line na for movie scene you get am cheesy cheesy . . . .

I know it's hard to accept I'm a wordsmith lol!! Those were my line, my word, my own making,

I live in the sea bro, plus I have the powerful Yoruba proverb making software downloaded/installed by Orunmila into my system,

The lost Yorubas should wait for me, the light from igniting words and acts will bring them back towards the light. Yoruba way!!!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 3:03am On Jul 31, 2011
jmaine:

Wonder why religious based discussion tend to attract huge write ups undecided

READ JOR LAZY person lol!
I don't write long stuffs like that unless I know it is absolutely necessary! lol
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by jmaine: 10:38am On Jul 31, 2011
0lumide:

READ JOR LAZY person lol!
I don't write long stuffs like that unless I know it is absolutely necessary! lol

Alright boss cheesy cheesy
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 31, 2011
talking 'bout misplaced priority & the rule of animal in power.
Of all the challenges plague muslims, adamawa, the north & Nigeria, (talking about terrorism, illiteracy, diseases, unemployment, drugs etc.) & it's the age limit of marriage is priority to these fools.

Northern muslims and their foolish leaders.
When will these eediot elites stop these deception of their gullible, downtrodden masses?
What a shame!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 31, 2011
It proves that he's a pedophile!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by osa332003(m): 6:09pm On Jul 31, 2011
for me i dont really mind what is happening in these places unfortunatly it is part of nigeria,if u like introduce sharia law cut ur arms,leg remove ur indigines eyes marry your daughters from 8 years of age what ever u like but pls it should not be introduced to other parts of nigeria like.south,west ,east,the only situation is unity in diversity,boko harma or what ever they call themselves if u like destroy maidiguri,i do not really give a damm,i only advice non indigines to pack their belongings and leave the cursed land i know people have lived in these areas for donkey years but believe me these people are really cruel,if a bus can be stopped all muslims forced to come down and later set on fire killing innocent souls then i have the right to make such comments,only GOD can judge me
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jul 31, 2011
some insightful posts here not by negro_ntn though lol!!!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jul 31, 2011
Where are they really, where are the booty embezzlers who wants to eat the booty they were suppose to take care of,

you embezzle govt money, now you want to embezzle little booties!!! Edumare punish, The kids need care not have their booty embezzled!!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by suprted(m): 10:39pm On Jul 31, 2011
See the thing in other countries where the age is shockingly low is that those girls tend to have a say in who they shag. They will make mistakes, and they will regret it but thats growing up. Despite the age restrictions of 14 in italy you don't see anyone running to get married. The law is not in there so that old men can legally pick the forbidden fruit.

Secondly some people's homophobia is so bad that they're willing to peddle any crackpot theory they like. Marrying someone at 13 will stop homophobia? You never heard of affairs?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by ceasyc(f): 5:56am On Aug 01, 2011
say what under 18 is bloody bonkers.

18 years old is NOT even that matured sef let alone under 18. na wa ohhhhh

child abuse/ pae.do.philes. nutters. smhhhhhhhhh[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram: An Agenda Against The North, Hausa/fulani And Islam By Aminu Sarki / Biafra: Russian Govt Receives Letter / Biafra Brings Umuahia To Halt (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.