Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,240 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State (6546 Views)

Ben Bruce Compares Price Of Kerosene In Nigeria And India / Jimi Agbaje Sharing Kerosene In Ajeromi Ifelodun / Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by bellten: 2:04pm On Aug 07, 2011
In an event held at the Grasshopper Stadium, Owerri, Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha flagged off his kerosene distribution programme by delivering 110,000 litres of the commodity to many households in the state.

Speaking on the programme, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Special Duties, Mr. Chiadi Sunny disclosed that the five tanker loads of kerosene distributed was the first free batch. He pointed out that the next batches will be distributed amongst the 27 local government areas of the state.

In the same vein, Chairman of Capital Oil and Gas, Sir. Ifeanyi Uba, who is a partner in the project, explained that the programme was sustainable because of strong arrangements with several oil companies in the country, that are producers of kerosene.

http://igbodefender.com/2011/08/07/okorocha-begins-deliering-kerosene-promises-distributes-110000-litres/
© igbodefender.com 2011
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by AndreUweh(m): 2:11pm On Aug 07, 2011
Interesting.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by bellten: 2:14pm On Aug 07, 2011
This man Okorocha is outclassing a lot of his mates with style. Let's see if they can come up with a good response.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by AndreUweh(m): 2:23pm On Aug 07, 2011
^^^But when is he going to conduct LG and councillorship elections in the 27 LGA's?.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by bellten: 3:05pm On Aug 07, 2011
I don't know my brother. But the one thing I know is that his policies are making life a lot easier for many Imolites.

He is like their big father. I hope he continues to lighten their burdens.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by NegroNtns(m): 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2011
This is what I call "fluffy"!

The majority population of Imolites live outside the state. The population of people in the state is far less than the migrant population that are distributed outside that state. So this free kerosene programme is nothing compared to population density Governors in West have to cater to.

Tell Rocha to attract Imolites back home with some better incentives. They will not come home for Kerosene.

Besides, if free kerosene is a measure of good governance by Eastern standards, then Rochas is not even a match for any consideratuon to presidential post. Not saying that SE is a contender for 2015, but just to highlight where Rocha, the best of all SE goevrnors, stand on the scale of executive accomplishments.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by Sicherheit(m): 5:07pm On Aug 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

The majority population of Imolites live outside the state. The population of people in the state is far less than the migrant population that are distributed outside that state. So this free kerosene programme is nothing compared to population density Governors in West have to cater to.

Tell Rocha to attract Imolites back home with some better incentives. They will not come home for Kerosene.

Besides, if free kerosene is a measure of good governance by Eastern standards, then Rochas is not even a match for any consideration to presidential post. Not saying that SE is a contender for 2015, but just to highlight where Rocha, the best of all SE governors, stand on the scale of executive accomplishments.

Very True.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by koruji(m): 5:08pm On Aug 07, 2011
For your information, Osun State governor distributed 330,000 litres in Osun.

[size=14pt]However, this is really bad policy.[/size]

The reason the state governors had to do this was the FG's incompetence of everything that matters in Nigeria to itself. [size=14pt]This state governors are falling into the same trap if they make this a habit - it is only a short-term solution at best.[/size]

bellten:

This man Okorocha is outclassing a lot of his mates with style. Let's see if they can come up with a good response.

bellten:

I don't know my brother. But the one thing I know is that his policies are making life a lot easier for many Imolites.

He is like their big father. I hope he continues to lighten their burdens.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by NegroNtns(m): 5:14pm On Aug 07, 2011
Koruji,

In comparison to SE, Osun citizens are not far flung from home. Regardless, its a bad policy and in reference to calling it a shor term solution, this is not a solution by any timeline, minute, short or long!

These Governors lack ideas and foresight.
What is the problem they are attempting to solve with the free kerosene approach?
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by EkoIle1: 5:17pm On Aug 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Besides, if free kerosene is a measure of good governance by Eastern standards, then Rochas is not even a match for any consideratuon to presidential post. Not saying that SE is a contender for 2015, but just to highlight where Rocha, the best of all SE goevrnors, stand on the scale of executive accomplishments.

Great post
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by koruji(m): 5:22pm On Aug 07, 2011
I understand that others may not see it as any kind of solution, but I am not as dismissive. At least the people who have had problems cooking food for lack of kerosene will tell you it is a solution, but they & the ones doing the distributing should realize it is bad policy - so we agree on that.

We need an avenue for getting better ideas to them. These ACN governors & Okorocha, among others, are showing that they are looking for solutions to the people's problems, and would implement it if it is within their powers. As it stands, I am afraid the current approach is what is within the powers of state governors, so they do it.

It cannot become a habit. What they need to do with the Governor's forum is use it to force the FG into real reforms that will bring succour to the people.

Negro_Ntns:

Koruji,
In comparison to SE, Osun citizens are not far flung from home. Regardless, its a bad policy and in reference to calling it a shor term solution, this is not a solution by any timeline, minute, short or long!
These Governors lack ideas and foresight.
What is the problem they are attempting to solve with the free kerosene approach?
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by EkoIle1: 5:34pm On Aug 07, 2011
koruji:

I understand that others may not see it as any kind of solution, but I am not as dismissive. At least the people who have had problems cooking food for lack of kerosene will tell you it is a solution, but they & the ones doing the distributing should realize it is bad policy - so we agree on that.

We need an avenue for getting better ideas to them. These ACN governors & Okorocha, among others, are showing that they are looking for solutions to the people's problems, and would implement it if it is within their powers. As it stands, I am afraid the current approach is what is within the powers of state governors, so they do it.

It cannot become a habit. What they need to do with the Governor's forum is use it to force the FG into real reforms that will bring succour to the people.

Another great post, especially the last paragraph. The awoof moves by the governors are misguided moves, the governors are the real power brokers and king makers in Nigeria, but unfortunately, they either are cluless and don't know how to leverage that power against the federal government to make critical changes in NIgeria or they are part of the rot and incompetency.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by NegroNtns(m): 5:58pm On Aug 07, 2011
Government should implement practicsal and measurable results.

Food is a necessity. If mothers can't feed their families due to kerosene scarcity then a more robust solution is needed than just a reactionary hand out.

What is that robustness and how can it be sustained as a goverment welfare programme?
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by seanet02: 6:13pm On Aug 07, 2011
Andre Uweh:

^^^But when is he going to conduct LG and councillorship elections in the 27 LGA's?.
When the vegetable is imported from London
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by EkoIle1: 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Government should implement practicsal and measurable results.

Food is a necessity. If mothers can't feed their families due to kerosene scarcity then a more robust solution is needed than just a reactionary hand out.

What is that robustness and how can it be sustained as a goverment welfare programme?

Unfotunately, these moves are unsustainable, they need to take the fight to abuja and lean on their corrupt frinds for changes, that's if they really care anyways,
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by NegroNtns(m): 6:31pm On Aug 07, 2011
Ok, do we agree that we need a welfare program in Nigeria?

If we agree to that, what areas should be targeted for the programs?

How is it formulated and what will the structure look like?

How is it deployed, implemented and measured for success?

How is it funded?
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by NegroNtns(m): 6:33pm On Aug 07, 2011
Besides, I think my discussion on welfare need to be on a post talking about progress in Yorubaland. SE can do whatever they want.

As for Nigeria, it should be dissolved.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by Ikengawo: 7:13pm On Aug 07, 2011
what a completely retarded waste of state moeny.
what happens when they kerosene is burnt up? how will anyone's life be changed or impacted outside of having free kerosene for a week?
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by NegroNtns(m): 7:20pm On Aug 07, 2011
Ike,

Good point!
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by AndreUweh(m): 7:27pm On Aug 07, 2011
@The brainless poster who said majority of Imolites leaves outside the state. You should get a life and stop spreading falsehood. What a nonsense.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by NegroNtns(m): 7:39pm On Aug 07, 2011
Andew,

Is that the best counterpoint you can offer?

If majority of you live in the state then you have more than enough generated revenue to cover kerosene purchase and do not need reliance on govt hand outs. If that's true, then your Gov has no better things to do with money and ideas. He is addressing situations that do need govt intervention.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 07, 2011
Okorocha and his one penny populist actions.
Let this guy face serious governance please and stop this dramatizing. The other day, he wrapped himself in plasters and was rushed to a hospital. This was after his controversial overbloated appointments.

Governance is serious business. Construct roads, invite/attract investors to your state, implement minimum wage, instil value reorientation into the populace. These daily drama is too cheap abeg
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by Dede1(m): 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Rochas Okorocha does not have such powers to conduct such election in Imo State. By the way, a court in Imo State has ruled that Rochas Okorocha does not have any constitutional pedigree to suspend LG authority in the state. The court also ordered the Governor Okorocha to refrain from issuing such orders.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by bellten: 8:10pm On Aug 07, 2011
Is Mazi Okorocha making his people happy right now? The answer is yes.

Is he delivering the dividends of democracy he promised? Yes.
As long as he continues, he gets a thumbs up.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by Eziachi: 9:50pm On Aug 07, 2011
Some of you guy really haven't met hardship. If you had, your attitude to so many issues will be different.
Some of you don't know that some families or beneficiaries of the socalled Kerosene- that the gift from their governor can be what you can call a bridge between life and death for that particualr day.
If giving the tax payers in his state something to allievate their lives on a short term because of an ongoing harship due to shortage of that commodity, how can that be wrong?

Some before him could have put that cash of purchase in their pocket or to their girlfriend lodged in a London flat.
And to some of you, its the usual ritual that anything East of the Niger has be spit at and poured cold water.
If its to be Fashola, the lined up critics will be calling for a nobel price on kerosene generosity to be bestowed on him.

1 Like

Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by Eziachi: 9:52pm On Aug 07, 2011
Dede1:

Rochas Okorocha does not have such powers to conduct such election in Imo State. By the way, a court in Imo State has ruled that Rochas Okorocha does not have any constitutional pedigree to suspend LG authority in the state. The court also ordered the Governor Okorocha to refrain from issuing such orders.
Are you sure on the bolded as the guy appointed people today as caretakers until election?
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by AndreUweh(m): 10:11pm On Aug 07, 2011
Eziachi:

Are you sure on the bolded as the guy appointed people today as caretakers until election?
The caretakers has been sworn in since last Thursday. A free and fair elections will be held at a later time. Throught the reign of Ohakim, no LG elections were held and only last year's August, he installed PDP guys as Chairmen in all the LGA's without any polls. Am happy, that has come to an end.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by FACE(m): 9:58am On Aug 08, 2011
I don't support this idea of free kerosene. We need something that is sustainable without being a drain on public funds. Since he can obtain kerosene so easily, he should be making sure that people are buying at normal pump price and not giving it away at the expense of the state. How about channeling that money towards equipping the state hospital with MRI , CT scanners and dialysis equipment ?

The kerosene hardship is as a result of non-availability at the station pumps, forcing people to buy from black markets at more than three times the pump price. By the way, 111000L of kerosene is just three tankers of kerosene so I don't see what he aims to achieve with that stunt.

We, Imo people do not like stunts and handouts, we just like to see our money go a good distance, so he should help us by helping kerosene dealers (since he can do that)lift kerosene from NNPC without having to pay huge bribes.

Rochas has taken a few suspect decisions so far, but I will wait and see how it plays out.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by Rgp92: 11:17am On Aug 08, 2011
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”

What will they use when the koresene brunout ? Instead of giving it out for free, provide jobs for imolites, so that they can buy it themselves.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by ak47mann(m): 11:31am On Aug 08, 2011
IS AN APGA thing anambra did the same cool
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by Nobody: 11:35am On Aug 08, 2011
@ Eziachi
I'm dissappointed that you would turn this to another tribal issue. If Fashola were to do such nobody here would support this move , why ? Cos it doesn't solve the problem at hand , like someone said , it is a short term solution and we need policies/reforms to combat scarcity and hoarding.
Re: Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State by aloyemeka2: 11:45am On Aug 08, 2011
Jarus:

Okorocha and his one penny populist actions.
Let this guy face serious governance please and stop this dramatizing. The other day, he wrapped himself in plasters and was rushed to a hospital. This was after his controversial overbloated appointments.

Governance is serious business. Construct roads, invite/attract investors to your state, implement minimum wage, instil value reorientation into the populace. These daily drama is too cheap abeg

Gbam

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Muslim Congress Condemns Boko Haram Attacks / Mimiko Declares 3 Days Fasting And Prayers For Officials Killed On Plane Crash / Jimi Agbaje Declares For PDP, Running For Lagos Guber

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.