Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,989 members, 7,835,320 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri (28759 Views)

Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri / Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions / Obi Plans To Stage-manage Fake Assassination Attempt – Keyamo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 10:30pm On Oct 07, 2022
ElSudani:

No country can ever develop by relying on importation of almost everything. Even chicken and the toothpicks to pick your teeth afterwards. If you do that you are keeping the people of other countries employed why your country remains poor.
Judging from your statement.......with the restrictions of the imports! What has it done to the economy?......pls give us facts!
Hyper-inflation of the prices of goods and services are everywhere and you call that work in progress?. Pls go and read the basic concepts of economics (essential economics for senior secondary school) then comeback and let's talk.
No country will run it the way you are describing it above. No country!
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by sisisioge: 10:31pm On Oct 07, 2022
Pakute:

Are you now shifting your argument from production to monopoly? and who told you that tomatoes industry is a monopoly market?. Pls, stick to what you know abeg.
What has closure of factories related with the issue of importation.even though, you are obviously ignorant of the amount of FDI the country had attracted in couple of years.

I am a lay man....I count progress by my purchasing power. I count progress by the infrastructural development around me. I count progress by the strength of naira, etc.....omg, may God punish all the werey politicians ruining this country! May God punish them to their 10th generation! Whew!
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 10:32pm On Oct 07, 2022
Ubekus:
Pls Nigeria should import, these are local producers are killing us, with high increase of money everyday, everybody want to build mansion in one day,so obi is right.
God bless you my broda. We need to educate Nigerians at all levels
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by ElSudani: 10:32pm On Oct 07, 2022
JoeNL22:

And who told you imports will not increase employment in Nigeria?
What are the things we can easily produce?.....the cost of Goods are still high. America can produce cars easily yet they still allow imports. UK also allow imports in their country also. The truth is nature will always have it's way. If the world runs by your assertions above. Then things will be very difficult for people.

You are comparing a developed economy like the US with Nigeria. Korea and China at this point in their development can forget a whole industry and focus on something else not to mention the US. Did you know some Americans wanted the auto markers to go bankrupt and not rescued with tax payers money? Can Nigeria afford to let any kind of industry go down?
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by ElSudani: 10:35pm On Oct 07, 2022
JoeNL22:

Judging from your statement.......with the restrictions of the imports! What has it done to the economy?......pls give us facts!
Hyper-inflation of the prices of goods and services are everywhere and you call that work in progress?. Pls go and read the basic concepts of economics (essential economics for senior secondary school) then comeback and let's talk.
No country will run it the way you are describing it above. No country!

Nigeria today is the leading economy in Africa and increase in manufacturing and service industries are responsible for that. It may seem like nothing to you because you are not yet driving around in the latest BMW but Nigeria is definitely moving forward.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 10:38pm On Oct 07, 2022
Gent:
I`m an Obidient, l have never criticized him, not even for once. But the removal of import restriction is a big NO, NO to me. This policy go against productivity which he vowed to promote. It will have multiple negative effect on Nigerians, especially the local manufacturers.
The local manufacturers can't produce anything without borrowing 1 naira. They are the one killing our naira. At the end of the day. Instead of the them to sell their goods at 10 naira they will be selling it at 100 naira because they want to pay debts incured from the credit used to produce the goods. We need to educate people about basic economics. Obi is very right on this one. He truly understands Nigeria problems.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 10:44pm On Oct 07, 2022
ElSudani:

Nigeria today is the leading economy in Africa and increase in manufacturing and service industries are responsible for that. It may seem like nothing to you because you are not yet driving around in the latest BMW but Nigeria is definitely moving forward.
That is the stat they will tell you.
The best way to know if your economy is strong is through your currency. Go and check Nigerian currency to other nations. You will see that the economy is very bad under Buhari. The economy is -ve, it is not about making money in Nigeria again. The Hyper-inflation will take all the profits made. At the end of the day. What you use 900 naira to buy a piece of clothing that's now 3,500 seven years later. And you tell me Nigeria is a leading economy? They have totally deceived you people.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Pakute: 10:50pm On Oct 07, 2022
sisisioge:

I am a lay man....I count progress by my purchasing power. I count progress by the infrastructural development around me. I count progress by the strength of naira, etc.....omg, may God punish all the werey politicians ruining this country! May God punish them to their 10th generation! Whew!
Emotions dropping out of your soul like a leaking oil pipeline which has been the bane of folks like you that have been often fed with negative narratives about the country through false propaganda.
You see the country as half empty whereas progressive Nigerians see it as half full. And if there's any better viable way of counting a progress, it'd be through analysing the investment of the past in determining the present. Can you compare the major revenue earnings of the last 16 yrs with the present or the infrastructures of the last 16 yrs with the present?.. That's how to measure progress.
Rather than live with negative vibes, embrace the positivity of Emilokan.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 10:52pm On Oct 07, 2022
ElSudani:

You are comparing a developed economy like the US with Nigeria. Korea and China at this point in their development can forget a whole industry and focus on something else not to mention the US. Did you know some Americans wanted the auto markers to go bankrupt and not rescued with tax payers money? Can Nigeria afford to let any kind of industry go down?
Did the developed countries just wake up one day and said they will not allow imports in their country?......obviously no!......They still ran both local and international products in their economy. Don't be fooled. Japan was the number 1 in Asia before china took over. And how did they do it? They were importing raw materials from Japan. Now they became self sufficient and they stopped. The china you see today did not just ban imports from their country without ensuring they can do it themselves. It was systematic. They had a vision. They had a goal. That's what obi is trying to implement in Nigeria. He wants to create a systematic approach in solving problems in Nigeria and not the military tactics Buhari keeps using to solve Nigeria problems
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Masterito(m): 10:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
Lol
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

No I do not want the import restrictions to be removed I want Nigerian people to suffer and their children to suffer because this is the only way Yoruba nation and biafra can come to light. Nigeria destruction and collapse will be Yoruba nation and biafra success.

The people of Nigeria have to be sacrificed for the dream to come true.

There is no success without sacrifice. Do more Nigerian people suffer the better Our Dream for a nation becomes true

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by gbagyiza: 11:03pm On Oct 07, 2022
FlyoruB:
A Peter Obi presidency would usher in an era of Container economics', whereby our struggling local industries would be killed off completely to make way for the dumping of foreign goods that can otherwise be produced locally and exported for foreign exchange. That's enough reason not to vote for that Pandora fraudster.

Are the local Industries doing well? Almost all companies are stranded due to the high cost of doing business currently in Nigeria. So many companies are shutting down, others are busy sacking their staff n some are relocating.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Freethinker87: 11:22pm On Oct 07, 2022
Real economist with Ph.D endorsed the manifesto, but Reno Omokri who couldn't pass WAEC without runs want to criticize it.

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Reyhzor(m): 11:29pm On Oct 07, 2022
asanausana91:
sorry I thought I was talking to an educated fellow.
Let me come down to your level; what I mean is that he should counter Reno accusations.
My pickin pls go back to school.
Lol who re you to say so?
jobless urchins, only ranting online
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by jamjo: 11:30pm On Oct 07, 2022
FlyoruB:
A Peter Obi presidency would usher in an era 'Container economics', whereby our struggling local industries would be killed off completely to make way for the dumping of foreign goods that can otherwise be produced locally and exported for foreign exchange. That's enough reason not to vote for that Pandora fraudster.

Ignorance they say is a disease,
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 11:37pm On Oct 07, 2022
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

No I do not want the import restrictions to be removed I want Nigerian people to suffer and their children to suffer because this is the only way Yoruba nation and biafra can come to light. Nigeria destruction and collapse will be Yoruba nation and biafra success.

The people of Nigeria have to be sacrificed for the dream to come true.

There is no success without sacrifice. Do more Nigerian people suffer the better Our Dream for a nation becomes true

Am not surprised bro......you truly have a valid point. Nigerians don't want to ever hear word. I just pray we get it right come 2023
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Bigchristo: 11:46pm On Oct 07, 2022
FlyoruB:
A Peter Obi presidency would usher in an era 'Container economics', whereby our struggling local industries would be killed off completely to make way for the dumping of foreign goods that can otherwise be produced locally and exported for foreign exchange. That's enough reason not to vote for that Pandora fraudster.
common sense nor gum you, since Buhari lock border against importation of foreign rice has there been enough local rice to satisfy the needs of Nigerians? Instead the price of local rice keep skyrocketing, na foolishness Dey worry some of una, you can’t lock border against foreign goods when your country local production is not up to 60% to satisfy the need of your people such useless economy policies that has created untold hardship among Nigerians, if you want to halt importation you must have to engage in production for a period of time don’t kill the people you are meant to govern with starvation, bag of local rice the amount is higher than minimum wage grin grin
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Igbojew: 11:47pm On Oct 07, 2022
Emeks008:
This is what former cbn deputy gov said about peter obi economics plan.

If you read in between the line of what Reno tweeted above, he deliberately highlighted some two section of Nigeria which is North and south west. He made mentioned of Dangote tomato paste factory in Kano, Textile company in kaduna/Kano and some factories in Ogun and Lagos. He made it looks like peter obi policy will adversily affect Hausa/Fulani and Yorubas companies.

This guy is trying all his best to makes other tribes to hate Peter obi.

We are wiser now. His plan won't work.
I thought I was the only one that observed that.That good for nothing and cry cry baby called Reno Omokiri is trying to stoke ethnic war against Igbos and Housa,Fulani and Yoruba but he has failed again cos first time in history Nigeria have united irrespective of your tribes or ethnic groups you come from.Import Buhari and his APC government restricted in his government what did he achieved instead the local production have skyrocketed even pass foreign products...........I am that Igbojew
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Prince001(m): 12:06am On Oct 08, 2022
Eriokanmi:
Reno will never see anything good in this I know lol..losers

Una just like to name calling. I don't like Reno but u I concurred with him on d issue he raises about Obi.
This is d reason una need debate between d candidates with good moderator too.
I for 1 I'm only for Yoruba nation, Biafra republic nuttin more nuttin less!!!!!!
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by GoodLife4live: 12:25am On Oct 08, 2022
Jestin:
Obi is coming

Obi is coming to alaigbo not to rule over my beloved country.. biko stop that play....

Obi with container economics
.hahahaha... That man tooo poor.

Mr obi is coming...

Read dis below

The man is saying the obvious Truth....

Read dis below...

It has be comfirm obi can't get 25% vote from 20 states .
Obi should stop wasting his time and resources.
Obi cannot get 25% of vote from states as follows.
1 sokoto
2. Kebbi
3.jigawa
4.kastina
5.kano
6.osun
7.ekiti
8. Oyo
9. Ogun
10. Kwara
11. Kogi
12. Adamawa
13.bauchi
14. Gombe
15. Zamfara
16. Yobe.
17.borno.
18. Ondo
19. Nasarawa
20. Niger
It is constitutional to get 25% in 24 states before any candidates can be declared as president of the federal republic of Nigeria.
Obi can not cross this hurdle.
I sympathise with obidient people, just take heart.
You guys have tried your best for obi.
But so sorry to announce to you guys that obi is going nowhere.
Remember to vote wisely for tinubu.
God bless obidient.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by GoodLife4live: 12:32am On Oct 08, 2022
SpecialAdviser:
Reno is an inconsequential he-goat who think Nigerian youths can still be deceived by the lies of him and Atiku.

We are OBIDIENT already. APC/PDP can go and die

You are obidient because you are Igbo... No sane nigerian will vote a man with container economy....

That's why no tangible infrastructures in alaigbo... because you naa too dey hype noncense

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Quintopia: 1:33am On Oct 08, 2022
Godfullsam:
Reno is right on this..

This is the kind of criticism we want - constructive criticism

Removal of import restrictions will only encourage container economy which is unhealthy for a country thriving to move from consumption to production.

You are right.

You cannot be talking of removing import restrictions, while simultaneously talking of moving from consumption to production.

Basic common sense really.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by grandstar(m): 1:46am On Oct 08, 2022
Sadly, the nonsense Reno has posted here will be regarded as the gospel truth, people forgetting he isn't an economist.

Imports aren't bad for the economy. It is actually the opposite- they are extremely good for an economy. If you doubt it, remove all import duty on goods and services today and trust me, you'll feel the economy move beneath your feet. You knw that's the plain truth! Even manufacturers capacity utilization will rise.

As the Economist magazine rightly pointed out, protectionism has failed to industralize the country. This is very glaring. Ren Omokri should explain to Nigerians why in Benin Republic and Ivory Coast where import duty for textiles and garments are low still have a flourishing industry there. The manufacturing sector in Ghana is operating much better despite having a more open economy. The import substitution model has failed the economy here and people like Omokri who keep crowing for it are doing the nation a disservice.

What Nigeria lacks is export oriented manufacturing. Until Nigeria starts to export big time, the manufacturing sector will be lacklustre. That is the game-changer.

If our present textile and garments factories focused solely on exporting to California alone and ignore the Nigerian market, they'd be working overtime. It was an export or perish mentality that brought the Asian tigers where they are now today. Even China used that route, first by setting up Special Economic Zones, and followed by undervaluing the Yuan against the US Dollar. Nigerian manuacturers on the other hand are always urged to target the local market alone.

Some would argue, you first have to start with your home market and then expand overseas. That argument is by now stale as Nigerian has had over 40 years to achieve that.

What is really frustrating the real sector of the economy is not even poor infrastructure as some would want to argue. The greatest Achilles Heel is the high cost of credit. Reno Omokri is tearing down Peter Obi for investing in importation with quick turnarounds. What does he expect in a country where credit cost is in the double digits? So many businesses have been seized by AMCON over larged debts and not all were irresponsible borrowers.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by bibe(m): 3:06am On Oct 08, 2022
alizma:

Mr see good, tell us how removing import restriction will favour local manufacturers, just tell use in a simple language, in fact tell us in pidgin English.

By taxing imports that can be made here higher to level the playing field. More revenue for the government to use in supporting local production capacity and know how.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by 123papas(m): 3:39am On Oct 08, 2022
Very useless analysis by Reno. Obi was talking about exporters being forced to sell dollars at cbn rate.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by alizma: 4:25am On Oct 08, 2022
bibe:

By taxing imports that can be made here higher to level the playing field. More revenue for the government to use in supporting local production capacity and know how.
Sorry to say this, but always make sure you understand the topic of discussion before you make your contribution. From your response, it's crystal clear that you don't understand what import restriction means. Please go and check google, I believe you will have something different to say after that
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by bibe(m): 5:00am On Oct 08, 2022
alizma:

Sorry to say this, but always make sure you understand the topic of discussion before you make your contribution. From your response, it's crystal clear that you don't understand what import restriction means. Please go and check google, I believe you will have something different to say after that

You asked a question and I answered, no need retorting to insult.
Restriction loosely defined means a limiting condition or measure, especially a legal one. Depending on situation can also man temporary ban with a specified limit or non.
Example, rice importation restrictions can be a temporal or permanent ban. Border restrictions can mean a ban on imports (or ingress) or exports (or egress), like was applied under the current administration.
Having made the definitions clear, do you now understand my submission of do you need further breakdown?
Would you like me to do a juxtaposition of Obis policy using previous examples with the current administration policy and how woeful it's been?
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by t2luv1: 5:24am On Oct 08, 2022
Tinubuadvocate:
I have said it time without number that peter obi is senseless and dull.

Because you are blind to actual logic I will try and explain things for you. Nigeria economic trouble started in 1996 when a law was passed that mandated that all companies operating in that country should have Nigeria citizens control 55% of equities. That was when companies like Kingsway, Leventis. and British Tobacco Company started leaving the country. That mandate was a back door way of Nationalizing foreign companies. Remove export barrels and remove those mandates trust me you will start seeing foreign investment in that shoot-up. As Forex unification, Nigeria has been using different Forex exchange rates. Are you aware that to pay school fees you can buy a dollar @432 but for business people, they have to buy @ 730. Something has to change. I know for a fact that no publicly traded company in America will ever come and invest in Nigeria. They will never be able to explain to their shareholders how they will have to invest their money and surrender 55% of equities.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by BigIyanga: 5:24am On Oct 08, 2022
pquaver:

So before 2015 Nigeria was good Abi? What we had was the best policies? You are raving but you have no 1 to tell you.. You are as dumb as your statements that I can't even differenciate between you two.. Obi is only talking. he is a politician.. No one kills his own business.. Highest importer telling you he will make you and exporter.. Are you reasoning at all? Obi won't kill what he laboured year to build because of you. Get it into your thick skull.
At your 2015 remark maybe eedris, fela raskimo and all who sang about Nigeria's decadence prior to 2015 were all hallucinating.. Only you is in your right senses abi.. Ndi ara ndi ara everywhere..
You dont have to be openly disingenuous about 2015. In 2015, exchange rate was N200 vs N750 in 2022. In 2015 a bag of rice was N11k vs N40k in 2022. In 2015 a pure water satchet was N5 vs N15 in 2022. In 2015 a litre of diesel was N189 vs N900 in 2022. Even wealth billionaires would take 2015 over 2022. Everything is not blind argument
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by pquaver(m): 5:38am On Oct 08, 2022
BigIyanga:

You dont have to be openly disingenuous about 2015. In 2015, exchange rate was N200 vs N750 in 2022. In 2015 a bag of rice was N11k vs N40k in 2022. In 2015 a pure water satchet was N5 vs N15 in 2022. In 2015 a litre of diesel was N189 vs N900 in 2022. Even wealth billionaires would take 2015 over 2022. Everything is not blind argument

Can you tell me the exchange rate in 1999 in comparison to 2015? Do sane for the things you listed up there and rest
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Naijaprosper: 5:38am On Oct 08, 2022
Period007:
A tale of 2 former governors

What Thiefnibu gets from Lagos state government annually is more than Kebbi State annual budget.

But if you look at this compensation package in another way, it may be the way out of corruption.

It gives the government official a future, and thus, any official who does not want to steal, knows that his future is safe, and therefore may not steal.

Not every official will be already rich like Peter Obi, and so, may need a package like this.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Mckandre(m): 6:08am On Oct 08, 2022
This obi's strategy is gonna say a lot about those who re bright and dull intellectually, to be honest it amazes me on how little reno thinks,really he's very shallow.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by baretalk: 6:11am On Oct 08, 2022
uote author=Masterito post=117363893]Well I can see you don't understand economics, stick with politics. Without import restriction, Nigeria was better than today Nigeria. The point restriction of import has not helped. [/quote]
You are dumb, Nigeria never stopped importing, our importation volume is growing from year to year, rice is not the only product we import. Our aggregate import volume has been increasing from year to year, we never stopped importing, this is why our currency is falling. I noticed since being on this forum that you people are dumb, even your Obi. Go check the numbers, our agregate import volumes has increased from year to year, Buhari only restricted imports on rice and FG raised import tariffs on some product, but if you check the balance of payments our import deficit is still huge, keeps growing by the year, this is why the naira is falling, this is why there is high inflation and we are unable to provide jobs for the people and expand our economy.

Go get your dictionary, am sure your flaat head don't understand some of the terms am using. you are dumb. You idiots act like we import only rice, we import everything as it is, what we need is a president that will turn Nigeria to a selling economy, Obi is a lazy head, looking for a superficial quick fix, which will continue destroying our economy.

Nigerians Obi is an empty vessel, very dumb. Want to curb cost of goods by flooding our market with cleal imports cheesy

Onitsha container economics can't work for Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

FG Gazette Raises Questions Over Ali’s Appointment As Customs’ Comptroller-gen. / Arrest Order: Dasuki Replies Buhari, Says Panel Never Invited Me / Buhari Should Call His 'Dogs' To Order – Asari Dokubo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.