Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,888 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. (40824 Views)

This Is What We Have Left In The Dating World,genz Baddies / Would you date an atheist? / My Experience As A Bar Man In A Lagos Brothel . ( Life lesson) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by SoaringLife01: 6:32pm On Oct 24, 2022
piphunter:
Religion was indoctrinated into people as kids. You had little or no choice. Some eventually seek knowledge and eventually ask critical questions when they grow older. There are thousands of Religions on earth and people from other religions are all going to hell according to other religions so relax. Religion was brought to Africa as a tool to control. In another timeline we Africans will probably be worshiping our African gods/deities if Christianity/Islam was not brought to us. If you were born in Asia for example you'll probably worship a different god. Religion was born out of mans inability to explain everything around them. Thanks to science and technology man is now wiser and can explain with certainty many phenomena that earlier humans attributed to something supernatural or unexplainable. Back in our not so distant past, men worshiped the moon as a god. The same moon the modern man has stepped foot on as at many decades ago. That being said iam not an aethist neither am i religious. Broaden your mind, seek knowledge and ask questions.

White men did not bring religion to our ancestors.Our ancestors understand there is a SUPREME BEING hence all the ethnic groups have a name for that SUPREME BEING.
To me , I see atheists as people who are groping in darkness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by mariahAngel(f): 6:35pm On Oct 24, 2022
1Sharon:

Imagine not taking your God seriously but expecting non-belivers to.

Imagine assuming I don't take my God seriously.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by MadarasBlade(m): 6:35pm On Oct 24, 2022
Nosayer:

Really? So many comments on this Nairaland that attempt to show philosophical Ideologies without any depth.

If there is no one setting moral standard, then, morality is objective. And if morality is objective, then it's supposed to be voluntary. Isn't that the argument for a lot of sexual-related issues we have around.

As for the conscience, how do humans have conscience when they're just higher animals? Who gave them the conscience?

Ability to reason gave humans conscience.

If you can't think, you'd act on instincts alone, just like wild animals.

The only reason for setting moral codes, standards and also punishment was to preserve the human race, nothing more.

It could be religious or cultural, even the japanese had a code of conduct not tied to religion.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Asour: 6:39pm On Oct 24, 2022
NeckingNgulping:

You are the real one.. You only lost a bunch of indoctrinated classmates, people who are hardwired to not see reasons and facts.

Or people who have chosen to maintain value based circles — just the way you've chosen.

To be logical, you're seeking someone who fits your mould of a partner with very little compromise about how you can fit theirs. And I truly get your position. We all do.

Unfortunately, Life for most is give/take & involve compromises. I hope you find your choice AND truly like it too.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by SoaringLife01: 6:39pm On Oct 24, 2022
NeckingNgulping:

I love your understanding of things.. And the way you explained shows a high IQ level.

There was a day i actually exclaimed "Jesus", and my colleagues where like "see this one wey no sabi god dey shout Jesus."

Check the last statement of popular atheists:

"Famous Last Words, From Atheists, Before They Died - Religion - Nigeria" https://www.nairaland.com/4426228/famous-last-words-atheists-before
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by mariahAngel(f): 6:40pm On Oct 24, 2022
cooooooks:
I believe it's 6 Os.

It's almost hypnotizing trying to count them, so I stopped bothering. cheesy

Also, only Jah/Universe can help us atheists to date. Especially if we insist on dating only other atheists. cry

May the universe be with y'all. cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by thinkmoney(m): 6:41pm On Oct 24, 2022
NeckingNgulping:
I'm an atheist, and I found that I'm incapable of dating women who are particularly religious. I could go out on a date with a religious woman, and that's usually solely by merit of me pretending the whole time as though I'm truly in for it.

Since long term relationship with these women would have necessitated that i make pretence a hobby, logic sets in and we inevitably part ways.

In a highly religious country like ours, it's quite hard to find a woman who's an atheist as me, let alone a decent one.

Guy, I must tell u I have not made a logical decision as to your belief.
Taken what we know in the physical material world-the laws and patterns, you couldn't have come here by accident
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by piphunter(m): 6:41pm On Oct 24, 2022
Yes white men did not bring the religion to Africa as we had ours before Christianity or Islam. I was alluding to the fact that religion was born out of mans inability to explain its environment. Eclipses were terrifying events for early man and it was always thought the eclipses was a way of the gods showing their displeasure. It was not uncommon for numerous helpless humans to be sacrificed in a bid to appease the gods. But now we can predict eclipses to the second almost indefinitely into the future.
SoaringLife01:

White men did not bring religion to our ancestors.Our ancestors understand there is a SUPREME BEING hence all the ethnic groups have a name for that SUPREME BEING.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by 1Sharon(f): 6:42pm On Oct 24, 2022
leye4u:

If am a parent ,I would even transfer my child away from the school

What a loving christian you are.

Remember that most atrocities in Nigeria are done by religious people.

Where is your God?

5 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Asour: 6:43pm On Oct 24, 2022
dhardline:
Will I say Nigerian atheist or atheist in general are a funny lot. How do you desire to have a 'decent' atheist as a girl friend?
Like who are you to require a standard for her when nothing rules her?
Or do you not know God gave man commandments on how to live life and be 'decent' and once God is removed man is free to make up his own rules as he lives and nothing becomes out of place for him. So just go ahead a marry any atheist you come across, she can decide to have 10 husband's and it's not out of place, she can decide to sleep with animals and it's still not out of place for her. She is ruled by nothing just as you claim you are too and hence free to do as she wills.

I get your point but it's not always so.

People can be decent (relatively) without being Godly — and 'seemingly' Godly without being decent. (I.e. pretentious).

That's why even truly Godly people have to develop discipline. And a reason to hold on (heaven).

What I'm saying is rare but rarities are not impossibilities.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Asour: 6:45pm On Oct 24, 2022
suicidesheep:

If you’re matured you’d realized one doesn’t religion to be moral, a good person is a good person with or without religion. most atheist I know are more morally upright than Christians.

The religious folks that do these same crime (and worst) that you want to accuse atheist, what will you say about what’s governing their mind

There are no good people. Just decent ones.
Only God is good.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by 1Sharon(f): 6:45pm On Oct 24, 2022
HardMirror:
I met one that claimed she was an atheist only to realize she was just trying to be an atheist because she thought it was cool. she still believed in god and all those shit.
I also noticed that if you are doing well financially, girls dont really care if you are an atheist, BUT they will try and convert you, they will hope you can change especially when you propose marriage, they start misbehaving

Interesting. I never knew religious ppl lie about being atheists.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Asour: 6:49pm On Oct 24, 2022
leye4u:

Who created the moral values you talking about...is it the govt? Outside of religion,the word morality doesn't exist,it's only a figment of your imagination...lol

Not true.

Socialization (religious or secular) imbues in us some sense of civil accord — if we want to be welcomed members of the society.

I.e. if you want to be respected, not imprisoned, considered for a job or given contracts, society has modelled how you should behave.

And you don't have to be religious in all this.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by 1Sharon(f): 6:49pm On Oct 24, 2022
SoaringLife01:

They brought in Christianity, stolen being obtuse. You get his point.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Kingpele(m): 6:50pm On Oct 24, 2022
[quote author=Dliquidmetal post=117828586]ofcourse your god ain't man,just a figment of your imagination (because you can't proof its existence) and indoctrinations.
And if you wanna make your purpose in life eating,shitting and sleeping then I have no problems with that but don't think every human being should have purposes that aligns with your pre conceived ideology of what "a lifes purpose" should be whereby anything outside of this your scope is seen by you as lesser or animalistic.[ no wonder the psalmist said fools says in his heart that there's no God ,they have done abominable acts..ps 53 till the end, explain the story of fools that reject the existence of God.. what a selfish man, u believe u exist but won't believe that your maker exist simply because you can't see him ,what a fool..well it is for our own and free will and privacy that God is invisible yet he sees everything we do..I had a very personal experience of God when I was so careless with my Christian life ,I was doing everything that seems right but I love to drink till am drunk, I told myself lies that it's doesn't matter since am not hurting another person but in the night dream, l saw a great light that was rebuking me about my addiction and his desire for me to quit drinking alcohol completely, its couldn't be my mind playing me because I didn't for once believe it a sin to get drunk by alcohol, I believed it just a social habit that is unrelated to my spiritual life but I was corrected by God...Satan is deceiving u folks to denounced God so that in your spiritual state after death, he will mock you and torture you till eternity..Satan don't want u to believe in the spiritual because that is the realm man can come into reality of being and power of God's love in holiness...repent of your sins before you die in it only to realise you had been fooling yourself all the days of your life in this earth... am grateful to God for not living me to dwell in my lies but corrected me out of his love for me
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by pocohantas(f): 6:52pm On Oct 24, 2022
kingxsamz:

I tend to avoid grin the topic unless the person brings it up and insists on hearing my views.
Surely they'll know someday, but it doesn't need to be at an early stage and shouldn't be brought up often.
I think those complaining are a few, because most atheists know they are seen as the devil, so they just keep it to themselves most of the time. Most atheists are not too vocal about it in real life, and certainly not in Nigeria.

Even at that, I won’t answer you. I do am yesterday sef. Why you go wan hear my view? Of all the issues in the world. Abeg o. grin
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by 1Sharon(f): 6:52pm On Oct 24, 2022
mariahAngel:

Imagine assuming I don't take my God seriously.

Imagine lying.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by zedman1(m): 6:59pm On Oct 24, 2022
tsdarkside:

go tell that to your scientists aka priests....

mumu....
.... And I always find such topics as this one interesting 'cos I get to explore views of persons with different belief systems. Sadly bro, going through the comments so far, I read some comments that were off point, somehow I observed one partular moniker persistently going off point until I got to the point you quoted my comment. Guess who that moniker was?......

sorry, it was you.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by mariahAngel(f): 7:03pm On Oct 24, 2022
1Sharon:

Imagine lying.

Imagine accusing.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by atinga1: 7:12pm On Oct 24, 2022
kingxsamz:

Sounded like a question you know you can never answer intelligently. cheesy
Yeah, right. Continue deceiving yourself.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by BreconHills(m): 7:17pm On Oct 24, 2022
NeckingNgulping:
I'm an atheist, and I found that I'm incapable of dating women who are particularly religious. I could go out on a date with a religious woman, and that's usually solely by merit of me pretending the whole time as though I'm truly in for it.

Since long term relationship with these women would have necessitated that i make pretence a hobby, logic sets in and we inevitably part ways.

In a highly religious country like ours, it's quite hard to find a woman who's an atheist as me, let alone a decent one.

I am struggling to understand why you wrote this. You made a choice based on your conviction and this comes with the willingness to face rejection. So why are you going on about it? If you are fishing for a similar minded woman I am sure they are on NL. However I doubt if they will be attracted to someone that seems sounds so obvious.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Buliwyf: 7:21pm On Oct 24, 2022
VULCAN:
Where exactly do morals emanate from?

You are blissfully unaware that morals emanate from a basic understanding of the invisible aspect of life.

If men are nothing but animal meat then murder is no crime because we kill chickens and cows everyday.

While the spiritual being realises that there is a spark of divine in man, the atheist rejects this because in his blindness, man is just another animal

There is nothing I hate more than dumb arguments. And this one is one of the most stupid arguments I have ever read. Dude, if you can't contribute something intelligent just keep quiet and listen to others instead of this tiresome nonsense masquerading as wisdom.
This your argument has been debunked a thousand times here.

Morality comes from societal teaching about how best to treat one another and maintain social cohesion. That is why humans see it as evil to kill their neighbor in the same group but won't mind raiding, murdering and raping people in other groups if it will help them survive. There are cultures where it is ok to share your wife with a visitor while that is immoral in Christianity and, if you were brought up in those cultures, your sense of morality will be shaped by that. I could go on and on and on.

Before writing something think properly and ask yourself if the others haven't thought of already.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by 7arrows: 7:25pm On Oct 24, 2022
tsdarkside:

kiki....are you usin style to say he is a broke morafvcker....??
atheist women dont like broke morafvckers either....

haha....

No be me talk am o. Hahahhahaha. FACT.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by uche40(f): 7:29pm On Oct 24, 2022
Buliwyf:

There is nothing I hate more than dumb arguments. And this one is one of the most stupid arguments I have ever read. Dude, if you can't contribute something intelligent just keep quiet and listen to others instead of this tiresome nonsense masquerading as wisdom.
This your argument has been debunked a thousand times here.

Morality comes from societal teaching about how best to treat one another and maintain social cohesion. That is why humans see it as evil to kill their neighbor in the same group but won't mind raiding, murdering and raping people in other groups if it will help them survive. There are cultures where it is ok to share your wife with a visitor while that is immoral in Christianity and, if you were brought up in those cultures, your sense of morality will be shaped by that. I could go on and on and on.

Before writing something think properly and ask yourself if the others haven't thought of already.

Lol. You even had the patience to type a response. Contributions from the religious side of the discussion here on this thread just reek of wilful ignorance that a quick trip to Google can easily fix.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Buliwyf: 7:31pm On Oct 24, 2022
Nosayer:

Really? So many comments on this Nairaland that attempt to show philosophical Ideologies without any depth.

If there is no one setting moral standard, then, morality is objective. And if morality is objective, then it's supposed to be voluntary. Isn't that the argument for a lot of sexual-related issues we have around.

As for the conscience, how do humans have conscience when they're just higher animals? Who gave them the conscience?

Even dogs feel remorse and know when they have bleeped up. Your conscience is largely a result of your nurture. That is why the Vikings could raid villages and rape at will without feeling any remorse while you probably will feel bad if you run over a chicken with your car. So yes, morality is subjective. Cultures shape morals. Although there are common morals across all cultures which are necessary for any thriving civilization or society.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by TakeNigeriaBack: 7:33pm On Oct 24, 2022
Peterrio:
In what ways are atheists repulsive?

Yes. I thought I was the only one that noticed that fvcked up statement. How is someone repulsive because they are an atheist? shocked
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by TakeNigeriaBack: 7:37pm On Oct 24, 2022
BobbieZion:
It shocks me when someone say they don't believe in God............
Believing in God or going to Church does not make you sinless, but it shows that you are a more sensible human who believes in the supernatural and moves with the cause of nature.

And down here we are wired to be religious people whether you like it or not, it is better you tell me you are an Animist. But, an Atheist? That sounds like the person is not in their right senses. Then,there is no difference btw the person and an animal.

The honest answer to the question 'Does God exist?' Is 'I don't know.' Anyone that claims God exist or doesn't exist is a liar. Nobody knows if God exist or not.
Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Buliwyf: 7:37pm On Oct 24, 2022
LadyExcellency:

You are still a minor that lacks self-awareness. Experience comes with age.

Until recently most people deny the existence of Aliens but not anymore because of thousands of documented evidences by US Military and Defense Department.

The sign of weak arguments is appeal to authority. So because he doesnt believe in what you believe in, he must be a minor. I guess intelligence isn't one of your strengths.

By the way there is no proof for existence of aliens yet. The fact that you think those grainy videos of UAP is definitive proof speaks to your gullibility. It's called "unidentified" for a reason. That doesn't mean there are no aliens. But those aren't proof enough. If you don't understand the concept of irrefutable proof, I can understand why your arguments on this thread are so crude and devoid of deep thought.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Buliwyf: 7:41pm On Oct 24, 2022
LadyExcellency:
Imagine acclaimed Atheists praying to an unknown God when the bus they are traveling with somersaults.

There are no Atheists in Nigeria. Humanist - Yes but the denial of the existence of a supreme being is out of hatred for religious people.

An Atheist and you believe in the intervention of your ancestors in your difficult situations. Continue the lies.

Ladies and gentlemen, don't bother, this one is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

So you met every atheist and they all told you they believe in the intervention of their ancestors? Wow. Your power of omnipresence is something we all aspire to have.

This is what happens when people who don't do very well with logic nor have the capacity for it take it upon themselves to pretend to be avatars of it. LMAO

8 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 24, 2022
mariahAngel:

Hahahahahahahahahakikikikikikiki grin

By the way, how many Os are there in cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooks moniker? gringrin
My sweet sweet cooooooks, someone is asking about your moniker.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by Buliwyf: 7:53pm On Oct 24, 2022
uche40:

Lol. You even had the patience to type a response. Contributions from the religious side of the discussion here on this thread just reek of wilful ignorance that a quick trip to Google can easily fix.

Wetin we go do na? If we leave them to run rampant here hoping they will check Google later they will just end up perpetuating foolishness in the name of religion. You need to refute their claims intelligently not because of them only but because of other impressionable people that will read the brain-rot they wrote and think it is a sound argument because no one demonstrated an ability to refute it.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. by odinson1(m): 7:54pm On Oct 24, 2022
Chaos14:
This reminds me of how when i was in secondary school and i told my classmates that i'm a atheist. I lost a lot of friends that term
That is a mistake i will never make again in my life. I was called names like Antichrist,false prophet, demon etc
Omo grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

10 Things You Do In Nigeria That Make People Label You A “ Bad Girl” / 10 Reasons Women Like Bad Guys.. / Describe The One You Love In One Sentence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.