Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital (8816 Views)

Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official / Obama Sends 100 Military Advisers Against Kony's Rebels In Uganda / Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by cap28: 1:29am On Aug 23, 2011
nolongTing:

[size=15pt]It has just been confirmed that Saif Al Islam was not captured! he plans to tour Tripoli and has appeared on TV its all lies and propaganda![/size]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hahaha - thought as much - these NATO scum and their who.re mongering media are degenerate liars
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by nolongTing: 1:42am On Aug 23, 2011
cap28:

hahaha - thought as much - these NATO scum and their who.re mongering media are degenerate liars

Muammar Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam appeared on live television tonight in Tripoli, quashing claims that he had been arrested. I knew it was dodgy because they did nit provide a picture, how long dose it take to take a snap with a phone? Secondly, Gaddafi himself has many prisoners he could use as a bargaining chip; so either way this is a HUGE blow to NATO and their credibility. After Billions of dollars worth of bombs and all the propaganda from BBC, Aljazeera, FOX, CNN, ABC they still can't topple Gadaffi lol!
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by nolongTing: 1:46am On Aug 23, 2011
[size=15pt]Why this is the moment Libya's Islamic extremist have prayed for[/size]
By JOHN R BRADLEY
Last updated at 12:54 AM on 23rd August 2011

As Tripoli fell to anti-Gaddafi rebel forces, the euphoria that erupted in some parts of the city was matched only by that which broke out among Middle East pundits in the West.
The fall of the Libyan capital represents a clear victory for freedom over tyranny, they tell us, and a new country — defined by an enthusiastic embrace of democracy, pluralism and representative government — will emerge.
However, we have been here twice before in the Middle East in recent months. First, when Tunisia’s strongman, Zine El-Abidene Ben Ali, fled Tunis, and then when Egypt’s dictator Hosni Mubarak vacated the presidential palace in Cairo.

Read more:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2029026/As-Tripoli-falls-anti-Gaddafi-rebel-forces-Why-moment-Libyas-Islamic-extremist-prayed-for.html

I remember Saif saying that he was willing to work with the Islamists, even though he did not like them he thought that their alliance would defeat NATO, that was when the NTC general was killed! wink wink
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by cap28: 1:49am On Aug 23, 2011
milehigh06:

simple question,if a man has been ruling Nigeria for 40 yrs,how many of you will be happy,abacha ruled for for common 5yrs and there was riot all over naija,obasanjo was looking for extra yrs and people almost went crazy,if you as Nigerians cant stand that happening in Nigeria,why would u wish same for Libyans.frankly,i don't care who got Gaddafi out of office,just glad he is gone for regardless of what he has done for his country,no country should be turned into your personal family,no leader has ruled Nigeria for half as long as Gaddafi ruled Libya,America has their faults don't get me wrong and i have not stated my support for the acts of the country but at the same time,when you have all these corrupt African leaders who never call their members to order,it only leaves a vacuum which someone else will fill
like the saying"if you do not act like a parent to your child,he/she will find a parent outside and just pray that the parent found will have a positive influence on your child"
any person offended by earlier comments,i tender my apology for i feel we should be able to get our points across without bitterness

let me wake you up to reality - the hausa fulani oligarchy have been ruling nigeria for 50 years, who do you think installed them in power in 1960?

the british helped the hausa fulani elites to rig the 1960 elections, they even tampered with the 1959 census which ensured that the northerners would rule nigeria for perpetuity, this is why the january 1966 coup had to be stopped in its tracks and labelled an igbo coup when in fact it was a NATIONALIST coup designed to remove the british approved northern puppet govt of tafawa balewa and ahmadu bello (who was the power behind the throne)

what is the difference between being ruled by a succession of northern elites for 50 years and one man for 42 years?

at least gadaffi actually used the oil revenues to improve the living standards of his people - what did the northerners do for the average nigerian? they didnt even help the poor in their region, just other elites within the same clique.

spare me the sanctimonious drivel - libya as at 1969 when gadaffi seized power in a bloodless coup was one of the poorest nations in the world - within a space of 40 years, gadaffi modernised the country, provided a social welfare safety net in order to ensure no-one was homeless or starving and offered scholarships to anyone who was interested in furthering their education right up to university level -all this was done despite 12  years of draconian economic sanctions imposed on the country by the west   - what have your own leaders done for you?

with the possible exception of probably buhari and maybe the late murtala muhammed who are both hated by the west can you tell me which nigerian leader that has ever done anything constructive for the average nigerian?

by the way murtala muhammed was assasintated by the CIA and buhari was toppled by another CIA sponsored coup and replaced with traitor in cheif babangida who sold nigeria lock stock and barrell to the IMF, so what is your point?

obasanjo and babangida are the biggest traitors nigeria has ever produced they are the main architects of nigeria's economic woes but do you see the west criticising them?  obasanjo is untouchable - he has godfathers in washington who are protecting him thats why he is still alive - same thing with babangida - but these individuals committed some of the most heinous crimes you will ever imagine against the nigerian people.  Isnt it ironic that  a man like gadaffi who refused to allow american and british oil companies to rampage through his country  is the one that is now in fear of his life while known criminals like obasanjo and babangida can walk around in nigeria as free men?
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by logic101: 1:51am On Aug 23, 2011
emmatok:

You just said the truth there,

The west and  Gaddafi were enemies since the 70s

The West and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad are enemies.

But is the West friendly with Putin? NO

But they(West) can't touch Putin, because he has democratic structures in-place in Russia, while he works underground.

But the problem with Gaddafi is that he stubbornly held on to power, instead of creating a govt were he can be the godfather.

Today even the Arab league and Most African leader are not supporting him.

The-same thing Mugabe is doing in Zimbabwe.

emmatok:

The west and  Gaddafi were enemies since the 70s

But they(West) can't touch Putin, because he has democratic structures in-place in Russia, while he works underground.

But the problem with Gaddafi is that he stubbornly held on to power, instead of creating a govt were he can be the godfather.

your equating a country(russia) not having so called"democracy" to it not beeing attacked by the powers that be.Well lets discuss
you also have to define the meaning of the word attack(there are various forms of attack/warfare)
a.Physical(military campaigns) russia has one of the best military in the world, cant mess with them,

b.financial(former french colonies in west africa have their currencies tied to the franc) rigging of socalled free market, financial institutions(imf,worldbank)funnily enough gaddaffi never asked for loans from them.

c.Pyschological----colonialism  leads to hate of one selfs, lack of belief in ability, dependence, new way of lifee,

d, media(well aljazerraa has done well (qatar owned (qatar allies with the powers that be) hates gaddafii and does the willing of the master) why would qatar hate q/kadaffii?, well he pulled out of the arab league and ridiculed the arabs(arabs aint determined by the colour of their skin modern arabs are not really arabs) thats why the arab  league hates him and sold him out,  but hold on a little digression what is the relationship between arab league and an african country? or should nigeria form christian league and have a say in europe, ?
back to media,
     Cnn has played its role(the so called liberal enlightened channel) , has cast the rebels(thugs) if you call them that as the oppresed .
bbc(well posh etonian channel right? you see there is power in branding, they maintain the status quo of the powers that be)
i have a quote from frantz fannon,  "when a journalist from the west asks questions,it is seldom in order to help us"remember the word humanitarian  , continue quote  "in the algerian war,even the most liberal of the french reporters never cease to use ambiguous words in describing our strugggle .When we reproached them for this,hey replied in all good faith that they were being Objective"
in conclusion western media is a propogator of  orwellian information,
 there are other types of warfare but wont go  into more details,
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by nolongTing: 1:58am On Aug 23, 2011
[size=13pt]Saif al Islam, the son of Libya leader Muammar Gaddafi who rebels and the International Criminal Court had been arrested, arrived in the early hours of Tuesday at the Tripoli hotel where foreign reporters have been staying, reports Reuters.

BBC correspondent Matthew Price said Saif told another journalist, when asked if his father was safe and well in Tripoli, "Of course."

According to AFP, Saif al-Islam told reporters:

"Tripoli is under our control. Everyone should rest assured. All is well in Tripoli."[/size]
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by logic101: 2:00am On Aug 23, 2011
milehigh06:

simple question,if a man has been ruling Nigeria for 40 yrs,how many of you will be happy,abacha ruled for for common 5yrs and there was riot all over naija,obasanjo was looking for extra yrs and people almost went crazy,if you as Nigerians cant stand that happening in Nigeria,why would u wish same for Libyans.frankly,i don't care who got Gaddafi out of office,just glad he is gone for regardless of what he has done for his country,no country should be turned into your personal family,no leader has ruled Nigeria for half as long as Gaddafi ruled Libya,America has their faults don't get me wrong and i have  not stated my support for the acts of the country but at the same time,when you have all these corrupt African leaders who never call their members to order,it only leaves a vacuum which someone else will fill
like the saying"if you do not act like a parent to your child,he/she will find a parent outside and just pray that the parent found will have a positive influence on your child"
any person offended by earlier comments,i tender my apology for i feel we should be able to get our points across without bitterness
if a man was ruling nigeria for forty years i wont be happy with it but wont want snakes into my country,
but hold on if in those forty years, he has given the citizens of the country a higher standard of living(not the hell we live in nigeria) then ummmm obviously yes or wont you?people like you with response with but the man is there for to long.You see in life ,certain issues are not black and white and , i dont define  leadership by how long you have been in power but what have you done for your people, i also dont define politics by wstern standards(you see they operate democracy but its a big illusion of power , you can read up on machaivellies the prince, ).
if you have a problem with corrupt leaders be the leader you want elect one and let him make the african union stronger, Then issues like this can be discussed.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by emmatok(m): 2:21am On Aug 23, 2011
logic101:

your equating a country(russia) not having so called"democracy" to it not beeing attacked by the powers that be.Well lets discuss
you also have to define the meaning of the word attack(there are various forms of attack/warfare)
a.Physical(military campaigns) russia has one of the best military in the world, cant mess with them,

b.financial(former french colonies in west africa have their currencies tied to the franc) rigging of socalled free market, financial institutions(imf,worldbank)funnily enough gaddaffi never asked for loans from them.

c.Pyschological----colonialism  leads to hate of one selfs,  lack of belief in ability, dependence, new way of lifee,

d,  media(well aljazerraa has done well (qatar owned (qatar allies with the powers that be) hates gaddafii and does the willing of the master) why would qatar hate q/kadaffii?,  well he pulled out of the arab league and ridiculed the arabs(arabs aint determined by the colour of their skin modern arabs are not really arabs) thats why the arab  league hates him and sold him out,   but hold on a little digression what is the relationship between arab league and an african country? or should nigeria form christian league and have a say in europe, ?
back to media, 
     Cnn has played its role(the so called liberal enlightened channel) , has cast the rebels(thugs) if you call them that as the oppresed .
bbc(well posh etonian channel right? you see there is power in branding, they maintain the status quo of the powers that be)
i have a quote from frantz fannon,   "when a journalist from the west asks questions,it is seldom in order to help us"remember the word humanitarian  , continue quote  "in the algerian war,even the most liberal of the french reporters never cease to use ambiguous words in describing our strugggle .When we reproached them for this,hey replied in all good faith that they were being Objective"

I see you keep on blaming the West.

But if may who do you blame for Nigeria woes since 1960.

Who do you blame for the Nigerian civil war.

Look, it is only looser that blames others for it failure.

Japan was bombed by the US,

Today  Japan is one of the worlds largest economy.

Yet the-same US still operate a military base in Japan.

My point is that you don't make enmity with the WEST and expect success.

The-same people criticizing the WEST end up going their for education, health.e.t.c

Name one industrialized economy include China, without Western support.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by logic101: 2:28am On Aug 23, 2011
emmatok:

I see you keep on blaming the West.

But if may who do you blame for Nigeria woes since 1960.

Who do you blame for the Nigerian civil war.

Look, it is only looser that blames others for it failure.

Japan was bombed by the US,

Today  Japan is one of the worlds largest economy.

Yet the-same US still operate a military base in Japan.

My point is that you make enmity with the WEST and expect success.

The-same people criticizing the WEST end up going their for education, health.e.t.c

Name one industrialized economy include China, without Western support.

as usual u avoided the questions , id int not blame anyone just pointed out facts,
asnwer my questions then i would get back to you but i guess you wont ,
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by tpia5: 2:29am On Aug 23, 2011
this thing is still dragging on!!!

undecided

now cnn reports ghadaffi's son is safe and sound in tripoli

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/22/live-blog-battle-for-libya-gadhafi-stronghold-under-assault/?iref=BN1&hpt=hp_t1

did they capture someone who they thought was his son?

and why does obama keep making news broadcasts or whatever it is because i thought i heard something to the effect that the rebels have won or something like that.

maybe i heard wrong?
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by emmatok(m): 2:33am On Aug 23, 2011
logic101:

as usual u avoided the questions , id int not blame anyone just pointed out facts,
asnwer my questions then i would get back to you but i guess you wont ,

Sorry what are you accusing me of doing. angry angry

Where are the questions in your last post.

Maybe feeling sleepy.lol.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by logic101: 2:40am On Aug 23, 2011
emmatok:

Sorry what are you accusing me of doing. angry angry

Where are the questions in your last post.

Maybe feeling sleepy.lol.
logic101:

[/b]you also have to define the meaning of the word attack(there are various forms of attack/warfare)
[b]a.Physical(military campaigns) russia has one of the best military in the world, cant mess with them,

c.Pyschological----colonialism  leads to hate of one selfs, lack of belief in ability, dependence, new way of lifee,

d, media(well aljazerraa has done well (qatar owned (qatar allies with the powers that be) hates gaddafii and does the willing of the master) why would qatar hate q/kadaffii?, well he pulled out of the arab league and ridiculed the arabs(arabs aint determined by the colour of their skin modern arabs are not really arabs) thats why the arab  league hates him and sold him out,  but hold on a little digression what is the relationship between arab league and an african country? or should nigeria form christian league and have a say in europe, ?
back to media,
i have a quote from frantz fannon,  "when a journalist from the west asks questions,it is seldom in order to help us"remember the word humanitarian  , continue quote  "in the algerian war,even the most liberal of the french reporters never cease to use ambiguous words in describing our strugggle .When we reproached them for this,hey replied in all good faith that they were being Objective"

Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by emmatok(m): 3:03am On Aug 23, 2011
I never knew they question . OK.

logic101

The west and  Gaddafi were enemies since the 70s

That was my last post concerning Russia, as you can see in bold i never said Russia don't have a Democracy.

logic101

The USSR once has the best and largest military in the world .

You and i knows what happened to them during the cold war era.

Russia fear the US not because of weapons or Armed Forces, but because intelligence gathering.

Currently, almost every country surrounding Russia is a member of NATO.

Yet the US created NATO.

f they can mess with the USSR, why can't they do them-same with Russia.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by stmarc32(m): 6:10am On Aug 23, 2011
Wow,
cap28:

let me wake you up to reality - the hausa fulani oligarchy have been ruling nigeria for 50 years, who do you think installed them in power in 1960?

the british helped the hausa fulani elites to rig the 1960 elections, they even tampered with the 1959 census which ensured that the northerners would rule nigeria for perpetuity, this is why the january 1966 coup had to be stopped in its tracks and labelled an igbo coup when in fact it was a NATIONALIST coup designed to remove the british approved northern puppet govt of tafawa balewa and ahmadu bello (who was the power behind the throne)

what is the difference between being ruled by a succession of northern elites for 50 years and one man for 42 years?

at least gadaffi actually used the oil revenues to improve the living standards of his people - what did the northerners do for the average nigerian? they didnt even help the poor in their region, just other elites within the same clique.

spare me the sanctimonious drivel - libya as at 1969 when gadaffi seized power in a bloodless coup was one of the poorest nations in the world - within a space of 40 years, gadaffi modernised the country, provided a social welfare safety net in order to ensure no-one was homeless or starving and offered scholarships to anyone who was interested in furthering their education right up to university level -all this was done despite 12  years of draconian economic sanctions imposed on the country by the west   - what have your own leaders done for you?

with the possible exception of probably buhari and maybe the late murtala muhammed who are both hated by the west can you tell me which nigerian leader that has ever done anything constructive for the average nigerian?

by the way murtala muhammed was assasintated by the CIA and buhari was toppled by another CIA sponsored coup and replaced with traitor in cheif babangida who sold nigeria lock stock and barrell to the IMF, so what is your point?

obasanjo and babangida are the biggest traitors nigeria has ever produced they are the main architects of nigeria's economic woes but do you see the west criticising them?  obasanjo is untouchable - he has godfathers in washington who are protecting him thats why he is still alive - same thing with babangida - but these individuals committed some of the most heinous crimes you will ever imagine against the nigerian people.  Isnt it ironic that  a man like gadaffi who refused to allow american and british oil companies to rampage through his country  is the one that is now in fear of his life while known criminals like obasanjo and babangida can walk around in nigeria as free men?

Always on point my brother, Sadly some Africans including nigerians still believe they got independence in 1963, but i sure can't blame them as most nigerians are intellectually enslaved as i once was ,

as for this whole libya and triploi fiasco i always knew it was going to end this way because the Rebel leaders themselves (Obama and Sarkozy) know their time is up in Libya and in their respective countries so now they r trying everything they can to misinform their dumb citizens and fellow Africans,

i even read something about congress demanding that their rascals( NTC ) detain the lockerbie bomber so the picture is clear they r trying everything they can to garner support,

I hope Ghadaffi is strong both financially and mentally to withstand all this,
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by Smi1(m): 7:39am On Aug 23, 2011
The western medias are really good in controlling mind, many people lay down their argument by backing it up with bbc report and ccn how on earth do you expect to see the light ?. according to what " CAP28" wrote earlier Americans and EUROPEANS hate us and they are here for the oil and diamonds !! i'm sick of reading comments from brainwashed guys !
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by rhymz(m): 8:04am On Aug 23, 2011
Saif al-Islam, who has been seen as his
father's heir apparent, visited the Tripoli
hotel where foreign journalists are staying
to declare that the government was
winning the battle against the rebels.
He took journalists to his father's Bab al-
Aziziyah stronghold. Television footage
showed Saif smiling, waving and shaking
hands with supporters, as well as holding
his arms aloft and making the V for victory
sign.
"We broke the back of the rebels. It was a
trap. We gave them a hard time, so we are
winning," Saif said.
"Take up arms today, take up arms today,"
Saif told loyalists waiting to be given
weapons. "Inshallah (God willing) we will
attack the rats today," he said to cheers.
Saif's arrest had been reported both by
rebels and the International Criminal Court in
The Hague and his appearance before the
foreign media raised questions as to the
rebels' credibility.
He said Tripoli was under government
control and that he did not care about the
arrest warrant issued by the International
Criminal Court seeking him and his father
for crimes against humanity.
Gaddafi himself has not been seen in public
for several weeks before the rebels arrived
in the capital at the weekend. But when
asked if his father was safe and well in
Tripoli, Saif told journalists: "Of course."
World leaders urged Gaddafi, 69, to
surrender to prevent more bloodshed and
appealed for an orderly transition of power,
as the six-month-old battle for control of
the oil-producing North African nation
appeared to enter its final stages.
Firefights
Rebels swept into Tripoli two days ago in
tandem with an uprising within the city.
Reuters reporters saw firefights and clashes
with heavy weapons, including anti-aircraft
guns, as rebels tried to flush out snipers and
pockets of resistance.
Hundreds seem to have been killed or
wounded since Saturday. But Gaddafi tanks
and sharpshooters appeared to hold only
small areas, mainly around the heavily
fortified Bab al-Aziziyah compound in
central Tripoli.
Civilians, who had mobbed the streets on
Sunday to cheer the end of dictatorship,
stayed indoors as machinegun fire and
explosions punctuated some of the heaviest
fighting of the Arab Spring uprisings that
have been reshaping the Middle East.
U.S. President Barack Obama, saying the
conflict was not over yet, cautioned rebels
against exacting revenge for Gaddafi's
brutal rule. "True justice will not come from
reprisals and violence," he said.
The president also made plain that the
United States would oppose any group
within the loose coalition of rebels from
imposing its power over other parts of
Libyan society.
"Above all we will call for an inclusive
transition that leads to a democratic Libya,"
Obama said.
In an audio broadcast on Sunday before
state TV went off the air, Gaddafi said he
would stay in Tripoli "until the end." There
has been speculation, however, he might
seek refuge in his home region around
Sirte, or abroad.
In a sign Gaddafi allies were still determined
to fight, NATO said government forces fired
three Scud-type missiles from the area of
Sirte toward the rebel-held city of Misrata.
Bab al-Aziziyah, a huge complex where
some believe Gaddafi might be hiding, was
the focal point of fighting in Tripoli.
"I don't imagine the Bab al-Aziziyah
compound will fall easily and I imagine
there will be a fierce fight," Abdel Hafiz
Ghoga, spokesman for the rebel National
Transitional Council, said in an interview
aired by Al-Jazeera.
The Arab network, quoting its
correspondent, said violent clashes were
also reported near the oil town of Brega.
Rebels had initially said they held three of
Gaddafi's sons, including Saif al-Islam. Al-
Jazeera TV said that one of them,
Mohammed, had escaped, adding that the
body of another son, military commander
Khamis, might have been found along with
that of powerful intelligence chief Abdullah
al-Senussi.
Fears of reprisal, revenge
Western powers are concerned that tribal,
ethnic and political divisions among the
diverse armed groups opposed to Gaddafi
could lead to the kind of blood-letting seen
in Iraq after the overthrow of Saddam
Hussein.
In a move that could ease tensions, a rebel
official in the eastern city of Benghazi said,
however, that efforts were under way to
make contact with authorities hitherto loyal
to Gaddafi.
Foreign governments which had hesitated
to take sides, among them Gaddafi's Arab
neighbors, Russia and China also made clear
his four decades of absolute power were
over.
A U.S. State Department spokeswoman said
Libyans who said they represented Gaddafi
were making "more desperate" efforts to
negotiate with the United States in the last
24 to 48 hours.
Washington did not take any of them
seriously because they did not indicate
Gaddafi's willingness to step down, she
added.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy, who took
an early gamble on the rebels and may now
reap diplomatic benefits, called on the
Gaddafi loyalists "to turn their back on the
criminal and cynical blindness of their
leader by immediately ceasing fire."
Late on Monday, Sarkozy spoke to Britain's
David Cameron by telephone about the
Libya situation, according to a press release
from the French presidential palace.
"They both agreed to pursue efforts in
supporting the legitimate Libyan authorities
as long as Colonel Gaddafi refuses to
surrender arms," the statement read. Paris
has offered to host a summit on Libya soon.
Cameron also spoke to Obama on Monday
night.
Oil production
Western leaders reiterated their refusal to
commit military forces to peacekeeping in
Libya, which could mean tackling rearguard
loyalists using urban guerrilla tactics.
NATO has backed the revolt with air power
but eschewed the ground combat that cost
U.S. and allied lives in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Britain's International Development
Secretary Andrew Mitchell told the BBC there
was no possibility of British military
involvement being expanded in Libya.
"We do not see any circumstances in which
British troops would be deployed on the
ground in Libya," he said.
But some governments have had civilian
advisers in Benghazi for months, and the
swift military advance of recent days
revived questions about the shadowy role
of foreign special forces on the ground.
First signs emerged of moves to begin
restoring oil production that has been the
foundation of the economy and a source of
hope for Libya's 6 million, mostly poor,
people. Staff from Italy's Eni arrived to look
into restarting facilities, said Foreign
Minister Franco Frattini.
Italy, Libya's nearest European neighbor
and the colonial power until World War Two,
is a big customer for Libyan energy. But it
will face stiff competition from others
seeking a share of Libya's wealth -- a
competition some fear could test the ability
of untried rebel leaders to hold the country
together.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by Nobody: 12:37pm On Aug 23, 2011
I don't care about what people think about somebody ruling for life, all I care about is to see human rights enforced, freedom uphold and justice and equity become the order of the day and Gaddafi leave that country for the people.

People should stop coming here with backward talks as if Libya is the only country in the world that produces petroleum while defending a killer and tyrant like Gaddafi. It is surprising to know that somebody is saying Libya was poor during 1960s that he turns the country around and give the people basic needs and move the things forward. Sorry to say such person only read about Libyan history and forget to touch how much oil was discovered in during the 60s.

Meanwhile, the people asked for a change and it must be given to them. They can't condone being enslaved - many Libyans are fed up of living the way there are under Gaddafi. I hear some Libyans saying this is the best thing that has happened to them, that they have been looking forward to this change and not matter what happens they just want a change.

Before people start defending Gaddafi and his govt the the people say they don't want him and who are you to say they don't know what they are getting into. Come on you guys are addressing this issue as if Libya is the only oil producing country without foreign interference. Country like Quatar, Bahrain, Omar,etc are Arab nations that has made giant stride in providing for their citizens under different forms of govt more or less the type of govt which Gaddafi dethroned.

We should stop making dictators look like they are good or genuine. They are myopic and good at imprison, killing and brainwashing of their citizens which the present generation of youths are against.

The citizenry can't trade their freedom for mere dictator who blindfolded them with what I would called 'fools paradise', where their needs are based on what the govt. offer not what they can do with what they have. I hear that an average Libyans lack any form of skills in work places, that foreigners do everything for them. They must be spoiled under a leader who only cares to stay in power forever through the use of deceitful tools which blind them from reality.

Above all, I think average Libyans will disagree with those of you defending Gaddafi, if not threaten by his tyranny.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by nolongTing: 12:43pm On Aug 23, 2011

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by cap28: 1:00pm On Aug 23, 2011
all4naija:

I don't care about what people think about somebody ruling for life, all I care about is to see human rights enforced, freedom uphold and justice and equity become the order of the day and Gaddafi leave that country for the people.

People should stop coming here with backward talks as if Libya is the only country in the world that produces petroleum while defending a killer and tyrant like Gaddafi. It is surprising to know that somebody is saying Libya was poor during 1960s that he turns the country around and give the people basic needs and move the things forward. Sorry to say such person only read about Libyan history and forget to touch how much oil was discovered in during the 60s.

Meanwhile, the people asked for a change and it must be given to them. They can't condone being enslaved - many Libyans are fed up of living the way there are under Gaddafi. I hear some Libyans saying this is the best thing that has happened to them, that they have been looking forward to this change and not matter what happens they just want a change.

Before people start defending Gaddafi and his govt the the people say they don't want him and who are you to say they don't know what they are getting into. Come on you guys are addressing this issue as if Libya is the only oil producing country without foreign interference. Country like Quatar, Bahrain, Omar,etc are Arab nations that has made giant stride in providing for their citizens under different forms of govt more or less the type of govt which Gaddafi dethroned.

We should stop making dictators look like they are good or genuine. They are myopic and good at imprison, killing and brainwashing of their citizens which the present generation of youths are against.

The citizenry can't trade their freedom for mere dictator who blindfolded them with what I would called 'fools paradise', where their needs are based on what the govt. offer not what they can do with what they have. I hear that an average Libyans lack any form of skills in work places, that foreigners do everything for them. They must be spoiled under a leader who only cares to stay in power forever through the use of deceitful tools which blind them from reality.

Above all, I think average Libyans will disagree with those of you defending Gaddafi, if not threaten by his tyranny.

your logic is really upside down - so dropping missiles on innocent civillians is your own idea of bringing them democracy

strafing civllians with apache helicopters in democracy in  your book

ra/p/ing women and children is democracy as well?

bombing water treatment plants, hospitals, food storage sites and schools is democracy?
the no 1 murderers on the face of this planet are the north atlantic terrorists who are intent on stealing an entire country away from its rightful owners

the rebels do not represent the majority of the libyan people they are a small minority and most of them are al qaeda terrorists who have been beheading, rap.ing and butchering innocent people in libya - would you want to ruled by such a barbaric group of people?

Qatar and Bahrain are US puppet states who terrorise their own populations - have you forgotten what the bahraini govt did to peaceful protesters recently.

saudi arabia operates one of the most brutal dictatorships on the planet but because they are a US puppet state they are protected.

im glad you recognised that gadaffi spoiled his people making them lazy and unwilling to work, you are so used to being abused and degraded by your own govt that you think it is not the responsiblity of a govt to provide for its citizens.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 23, 2011
@nolongTing

Gaddafi must go!!! He had sponsored  lots of coupe in African nations(Liberia, serra Leone, Central African Republic, Congo, Uganda, etc) so he's not that better than the US and Eu your depicted in your image as burning down Libya.

He never cared about  Africa and Africans not until his ideology's not accepted in the Arab world. Please, try to real about this man called  Colonel Muammar Gaddafi before you defend anything about him.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by Nobody: 1:10pm On Aug 23, 2011
cap28:

your logic is really upside down - so dropping missiles on innocent civillians is your own idea of bringing them democracy

strafing civllians with apache helicopters in democracy in  your book

ra/p/ing women and children is democracy as well?

bombing water treatment plants, hospitals, food storage sites and schools is democracy?
the no 1 murderers on the face of this planet are the north atlantic terrorists who are intent on stealing an entire country away from its rightful owners

the rebels do not represent the majority of the libyan people they are a small minority and most of them are al qaeda terrorists who have been beheading, rap.ing and butchering innocent people in libya - would you want to ruled by such a barbaric group of people?

Qatar and Bahrain are US puppet states who terrorise their own populations - have you forgotten what the bahraini govt did to peaceful protesters recently.

saudi arabia operates one of the most brutal dictatorships on the planet but because they are a US puppet state they are protected.

im glad you recognised that gadaffi spoiled his people making them lazy and unwilling to work, you are so used to being abused and degraded by your own govt that you think it is not the responsiblity of a govt to provide for its citizens.

Bombs were dropped on Gaddafi air bases and barracks. You can't expect innocent lives not to be harm during the process.

The last time I saw on the news was Gaddafi men raping women - probably you forgot about Obeidi that was raped.

It's Gaddafi that has been killing his people - killed women who ask for their rights, drawn ship loaded of his people, destroyed families who dare ask for freedom. I can see you don't know anything about this man - he's one of the terrorists sponsor in the world.

I can see you have no evidences of whatsoever you are trying to pass across
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by logic101: 1:23pm On Aug 23, 2011
all4naija:

People should stop coming here with backward talks as if Libya is the only country in the world that produces petroleum while defending a killer and tyrant like Gaddafi. It is surprising to know that somebody is saying Libya was poor during 1960s that he turns the country around and give the people basic needs and move the things forward. Sorry to say such person only read about Libyan history and forget to touch how much oil was discovered in during the  60s.

The citizenry can't trade their freedom for mere dictator who blindfolded them with what I would called 'fools paradise', where their needs are based on what the govt. offer not what they can do with what they have. I hear that an average Libyans lack any form of skills in work places,  that foreigners do everything for them. They must be spoiled under a leader who only cares to stay in power forever through the use of deceitful tools which blind them from reality.

your logic baffles me.Your saying that gadaffi dethroned the kind of governments those countries so called have and that those countries have different forms of governments , ? lets  get down to facts
1.qatar,bahrain and oman are all american allies .
QATAR
Beginning in 1992, Qatar has built intimate military ties with the United States, and is now the location of U.S. Central Command’s Forward Headquarters and the Combined Air Operations Center.
they are ruled by an absolute monarchy since the mid 19th century.

2. BAHRAIN
In 1797, fourteen years later after gaining the power of the Bani Utbah, the Al Khalifa family moved to Bahrain and settled in Jaww, later moving to Riffa. They were originally from Kuwait having left in 1766. Al-Sabah family traditions relates that the ancestors of their tribe and those of the Al-Khalifa tribe came to Kuwait after their expulsion from Umm Qasr upon Khor Zubair by the Turks, an earlier base from which they preyed on the caravans of Basra and pirated ships in the Shatt Al Arab waterway.
In 1820, the Al Khalifa tribe came to power in Bahrain and entered a treaty relationship with Great Britain, by then the dominant military power in the Persian Gulf. This treaty granted the Al Khalifa the title of Rulers of Bahrain. you see the people of bahrain are fed up with the settlers but you wont see saudirabia or ussa attacking bahrain
why?
its a usefull servant and offers good oil deals to western nations.
Unrest amongst the people of Bahrain began when Britain officially established complete dominance over the territory in 1892. The first revolt and widespread uprising took place in March 1895 against Sheikh Essa Ben Ali, then ruler of the Al Khalifeh. Sheikh Essa was the first of the Al Khalifeh to rule a land without Iranian relations.

3.OMAN
Oman has been ruled by the Al Bu Sa'idi dynasty since 1744 and has long-standing military and political ties with the United Kingdom and United States, although it claims it maintains an independent foreign policy,
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by logic101: 1:25pm On Aug 23, 2011
all4naija:

Bombs were dropped on Gaddafi air bases and barracks. You can't expect innocent lives not to be harm during the process.

The last time I saw on the news was Gaddafi men Desecrating women - probably you forgot about Obeidi that was violated.

It's Gaddafi that has been killing his people - killed women who ask for their rights, drawn ship loaded of his people, destroyed families who dare ask for freedom. I can see you don't know anything about this man - he's one of the terrorists sponsor in the world.

I can see you have no evidences of whatsoever you are trying to pass across

Some day you might loose your family during an invasion in your country.
Can you show us evidence that gadaffi killed his people. and please dont quote cnn or bbc.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by kodewrita(m): 1:25pm On Aug 23, 2011
we need no more excuse than the fact that he KILLS his people and restricts the right to rule to his own kith and kin. simple.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by macroworld: 1:32pm On Aug 23, 2011
The overall focus should be on praying for peace in that region considering that innocent Children, Women and Men are all caught up in this.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 23, 2011
@Logic101

There is nothing you can tell me about that country and Gaddafi in general.It also baffles me that you haven't being following the stories closely before accusing me of listening to news on American TV. I doubt if you guys ever read people's comments here with open mind.

One thing is to side with killer and declare him innocent without prove of his crime but Gaddafi is not in that league. He has committed a lot of crimes. The son of the King and family he killed is in the States as a witness to this man crimes . He has been coming henious crime of killing his people for long before my mother was born. Don't tell me you have no idea of what he has done to the citizens because many have come forward to say they don't want him any more. And, I don't understand what you are trying to prove here when there are barrages of happy people in Benghazi rejoicing for the end to this man's regime.

Come on, let's leave sentiment aside - Gaddafi is a very dangerous man.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by logic101: 2:03pm On Aug 23, 2011
@cap 28
i just observed something interesting
libya has been omited from the economic indexes of countries .In that way one cant examine the standard of living in libya here are a few sitess

http://www.economywatch.com/economic-statistics/economic-indicators/GDP_Per_Capita_PPP_US_Dollars/2011/
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 23, 2011
^^^^
They could have done better. For a simple reason there is not data provide to the economic watch. Don't just conclude on things based on what you think - the conversation will feel one sided.

I think the standard of living in Libya is over-exaggerated. It is high but with consequences to the detriment of freedom, skill acquisitions, exposure to the outside world. I was told Libyans don't associate with foreigners in their country. That's sad to hear they are very lonely
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by tpia5: 2:23pm On Aug 23, 2011
^Are you for real.

They dont associate with foreigners means they are lonely?

Go and impose yourself on them-lets hope you survive.
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 23, 2011
^^^^
Please, understand what I connote by that rhetoric. Lonely in the sense they are not exposed to free society to associate. Jeez! Come on man. Are you for real!?
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by cap28: 2:34pm On Aug 23, 2011
logic101:

@cap 28
i just observed something interesting
libya has been omited from the economic indexes of countries .In that way one cant examine the standard of living in libya here are a few sitess

http://www.economywatch.com/economic-statistics/economic-indicators/GDP_Per_Capita_PPP_US_Dollars/2011/

why am i not suprised?

this is typical of the kind of dirty tricks the us and british intelligence agencies play - they know that if people realise how high the libyan standard of living was, people will start to realise that they have been lied to all along
Re: Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 23, 2011
^^^^
CIA fact file is American yet it states the standard of living of Libyans.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia Will Enter Women For London Olympics / First Wives Of The G20 Summit / Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.