Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,530 members, 7,954,990 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:44 PM

Marriage: Is It Worth It? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage: Is It Worth It? (13857 Views)

My Marriage Is Crashing, I Think I Hate Him...Help / My 2 Months Old Marriage Is Crashing - HELP ME / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Sissy3(f): 8:22pm On Sep 09, 2011
agk247:

married couple are not suppose to argue, expecially when they have kids

so in other words, they need to be 'saints' all the time?

my dear, arguments are normal and inevitable part of relationships including marriage. what matters most is not the argument, but how the argument is resolved. it also teaches your kids useful life lessons when dad and mom have arguments and resolve it amicably
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Wallie(m): 8:28pm On Sep 09, 2011
Lol @ Dayo

I used to watch all that crap on TV while having to pretend I love it; although, you might occasionally have to catch yourself from falling too deep into their stupid plotsgrin Nowadays, I’m only staying in a room if I like what’s on TV except they start fighting!

Is marriage worth it? It depends on who you marry.

If you marry someone that contributes positively to your life, then it is worth it. I usually laugh when I hear girls say that they’re looking for a man to take care of them. I’m like, “what are you bringing to the table”? What kind of girl do you think a successful guy looks for? You think a successful man would want to log around dead weight that will be treated like gold? If you’re dead weight, chances are high that a successful individual will treat you as such!

If all I get with your pretty face and body is bad attitude, shopping spree with my money, disrespect, empty stomach, high mileage and infidelity then whatever is between us is only good for a few months!

But if the woman is very understanding, trustworthy, carries her weight and breaks you off properly? She’s worth a marriage and more! This is the type of women that you spend your last penny on as all she would bring to your life is happiness, encouragement and contentment.

Further, the OP is right by observing that marriage takes hard work but if you have a partner that’s working with you instead of against you, you’ve won half your battles! With regards to the other half, you have to put in work in the form of compromise (you can’t always have your way), perseverance, understanding (we’re all different), patience (testosterone and estrogen induce different reactions), tolerance (women get moody for no reason at times) :-)

In summary, choose your spouse wisely or your life could become miserable especially in the US!
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by iwonbaoko1: 8:40pm On Sep 09, 2011
lets look at it like this dr smith and his two lab rats

he is trying to train  one of  them to ring a bell. after two months they speak to each other

RAT  A  how are things with dr smith
RAT B  well i think he is learning now

RAT A  really?
RAT B whenever i press the bell he brings my food

from the moment you marry the training starts i have seen too many DR smiths and rats and i ain't joining the fray
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 09, 2011
Would love to get married so i can get intimate legally. Tired of doing it d illegit way!
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 09, 2011
Sometimes, I often wonder if people stop for a minute to ask themselves why they are attracted to whomever? As far as I am concerned, the person that you attract or are attracted to is to an extent a reflection of who you are.

For me, marriage is worth it. As chaircover said, nothing in this entire world is worth knowing that there's someone who has your back all the time.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Emperoh(m): 8:46pm On Sep 09, 2011
For those who think marriage is no worth it, i hope u are more intelligent than God who created that institution cos if u are not, then shut the eff up!!!!

Baba God created the thing in such a way that it will benefit all, but i our human i know it all, dabarud everything!!
Make i see who go complain say e no good and then u tell me whether u fell from the sky or are u not a product of the union between man and woman wey marry?
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by PHILEOLOVE(m): 8:49pm On Sep 09, 2011
Hello,

You've not told us why you are coming from,marriage is worth it
, synergy
, companionship
, procreation
, fulfillment of destiny(God's assignment 4 ur life)
, purity
and lots more.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Sissy3(f): 8:51pm On Sep 09, 2011
Emperoh:

[color=#550000]For those who think marriage is no worth it, i hope u are more intelligent than God who created that institution cos if u are not, then shut the eff up!!!!

dont sweat it. am sure God understands that even though he ordained marriage, it wasn't meant for everyone. it is not worth the stress for some
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by tunnytox(m): 8:51pm On Sep 09, 2011
Dayokanu! Dayokanu! Dayokanu! How many times did I called you? Pls don't make crack my ribs with your funny posts  grin grin grin
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nosyke(m): 9:02pm On Sep 09, 2011
dayokanu:

For most part, I have thought about it and I think its overrated undecided

As a man, Marriage is a bondage. The invasion of privacy, wanting to be all in my business and the countless nags Sheesh!!!!

When some of my "fipa" girls start their nags about meaningless things I just thank God that I am not legally binded to them or anyone.

Most importantly the part about having to share my hard earned money and sweat of my labour with someone who contributes far less

Marriage would only make sense to me when

The women are less controlling. Everything about your life should revolve round them. Come the phock on!!! I have been living wothout you for most of my life, why would everything just start revoloving around you ?

Talk/nag less. Just talking about what-the phock-ever. I suggested to one that I can buy her chewing gum to keep her mouth busy instead of just talking about every goddamned thing in the universe, The less you talk the more you think

Give me my own private space (Atimes i want to watch soccer, watch CNN, TruTV, Discovery or just surf the web and not gist/gossip about neighbours and friends) Several times some of these girls have forced me to watch Wendy Williams show, "E", Kardashians, American best dance groups, even one slow show of the Braxtons showing their daily life, I felt like plucking my eyes out shocked shocked shocked I could feel my brain power diminishing by the minutes as I sat down watching. Yet you have to appear interested else 2 hours of jigijigi that night would be used to beg and apologize for not watching those shows.

Moods swings? Oh my freaking goodness. Someone that was chatty and happy now just turns and starts sulking like what the Hell!!!!, Are you phocking possesed by demons? angry angry

Most importantly earn their own money preferably earn almost at par with me and contributing equally so no one is losing in this union.

If I had made some "mistakes" and some of my numerous condoms have leaked, had 2 boys in my teens or twenties, I wont even think about marriage again. Walahi wink cheesy

I think some amendments needs to be done to the whole marriage issue. If marriage can be made not to be a lifetime thingy and possibly reneweable after every 5yrs I would support this smiley

grin grin grin grin grin,you wont kill me with laughter
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 09, 2011
Not married yet but in my opinion . . . YES a marriage is well worth it. Beyond the fights, arguments, nagging and all - there is that feeling that you do have a best friend, a life-companion, someone who will be there by your side whether you forgot her birthday or not and most importantly, the joy of raising offspring together.

the problem however is in finding the right person to complement you.

Certain things we consider negatives when it comes to marriage like loss of freedom isnt really true. Like my brother's inlaw once told me, if you enjoy a hobby - teach your woman to see it as hers too such that marriage isnt as much a loss of your freedom to watch sports but an opportunity to gain a partner you can rant at when Nigeria as usual fails to score. She will still cook for you and rub your head later that night.

No man was created to be lonely, sooner than later we will all find ourselves at that point where we too long for our own!
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 09, 2011
Several times some of these girls have forced me to watch Wendy Williams show, "E", Kardashians, American best dance groups, even one slow show of the Braxtons showing their daily life

If you find yourself watching these shows then you either have very little control over your women or you both arent on the same page just yet. I dont watch those shows at all and no one forces me to watch them. When it comes to my sports, i watch no shaking . . . if you no like am then grab a book or sleep or best of all come lie beside me and rub my head while i moan about how Roddick missed a loose forehand.

Easiest trick in the book - buy 2 TVs, install directv on both. When she has her shows to watch she can do so in peace while i busy myself with other things. Easy.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by femmy2010(m): 9:19pm On Sep 09, 2011
It is sure worth it all.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by armyofone(m): 9:21pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

Not married yet but in my opinion . . . YES a marriage is well worth it. Beyond the fights, arguments, nagging and all - there is that feeling that you do have a best friend, a life-companion, someone who will be there by your side whether you forgot her birthday or not and most importantly, the joy of raising offspring together.

the problem however is in finding the right person to complement you.

Certain things we consider negatives when it comes to marriage like loss of freedom isnt really true. Like my brother's inlaw once told me, if you enjoy a hobby - teach your woman to see it as hers too such that marriage isnt as much a loss of your freedom to watch sports but an opportunity to gain a partner you can rant at when Nigeria as usual fails to score. She will still cook for you and rub your head later that night.

No man was created to be lonely, sooner than later we will all find ourselves at that point where we too long for our own!

True, after all is said and done, all the degree. . .  you've acquired, graduation done, you find yourself all alone. God, i don't want that, no no.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

If you find yourself watching these shows then you either have very little control over your women or you both arent on the same page just yet. I dont watch those shows at all and no one forces me to watch them. When it comes to my sports, i watch no shaking . . . if you no like am then grab a book or sleep or best of all come lie beside me and rub my head while i moan about how Roddick missed a loose forehand.

Easiest trick in the book -  buy 2 TVs, install directv on both. When she has her shows to watch she can do so in peace while i busy myself with other things. Easy.

Thank you jare, some people make being in relationship sound like being a siamese twin. Are you joined at the hip or something  undecided
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by emmatok(m): 9:29pm On Sep 09, 2011
Na, it is not worth it, i hate routines.

I love my privacy and doing my things the way i like.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by HighChief4(m): 9:33pm On Sep 09, 2011
Wallie:

Lol @ Dayo

I used to watch all that crap on TV while having to pretend I love it; although, you might occasionally have to catch yourself from falling too deep into their silly plotsgrin Nowadays, I’m only staying in a room if I like what’s on TV except they start fighting!

Is marriage worth it? It depends on who you marry.

If you marry someone that contributes positively to your life, then it is worth it. I usually laugh when I hear girls say that they’re looking for a man to take care of them. I’m like, “what are you bringing to the table”? What kind of girl do you think a successful guy looks for? You think a successful man would want to log around dead weight that will be treated like gold? If you’re dead weight, chances are high that a successful individual will treat you as such!

If all I get with your pretty face and body is bad attitude, shopping spree with my money, disrespect, empty stomach, high mileage and infidelity then whatever is between us is only good for a few months!

But if the woman is very understanding, trustworthy, carries her weight and breaks you off properly? She’s worth a marriage and more! This is the type of women that you spend your last penny on as all she would bring to your life is happiness, encouragement and contentment.

Further, the OP is right by observing that marriage takes hard work but if you have a partner that’s working with you instead of against you, you’ve won half your battles! With regards to the other half, you have to put in work in the form of compromise (you can’t always have your way), perseverance, understanding (we’re all different), patience (testosterone and estrogen induce different reactions), tolerance (women get moody for no reason at times) :-)

In summary, choose your spouse wisely or your life could become miserable especially in the US!

+1
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Sep 09, 2011
emmatok:

Na, it is not worth it, i hate routines.

I love my privacy and doing my things the way i like.

You love doing things "the way you like" YET hate routine?  grin
you'd be surprised how boringly routine being single gets after a while. As you grow older and watch your best friends fall away to their own families and kids or careers it wont take you long to realise there is nothing better than having your OWN flesh by your side even if she's there sometimes just to annoy you.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 09, 2011
The reason why I know marriage is worth it:

You can have sex freely whether you are broke or not.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 09, 2011
Why change my words men, You can fucck whether broke or not.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by emmatok(m): 9:54pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

You love doing things "the way you like" YET hate routine?  grin
you'd be surprised how boringly routine being single gets after a while. As you grow older and watch your best friends fall away to their own families and kids or careers it wont take you long to realise there is nothing better than having your OWN flesh by your side even if she's there sometimes just to annoy you.

Sorry why go through all those stress, when you can have your life to yourself.

Your daily activities is not determined by a wife or children.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by claremont(m): 10:01pm On Sep 09, 2011
[b]Statistically, more marriages in the developed world tend to break-up these days as compared to those which actually last. We can choose to hide our heads in the sand all day, but the fact of the matter is that there are monumental problems wrong with the modern marriage institution which wasn't present in the days of our forefathers. I find it hard to understand the mass hysteria people use to embrace the marriage culture, a casual observer will be forced to think that a person shouldn't consider him/her self successful in life unless he/she gets married; this is complete and utter hogwash!

Marriage is indeed an over-hyped concept IMO, the irrational craze towards having a ring on a specific finger of the hand is not worth it at the end of the day. Most of the perceived benefits of being in a marriage, if not all of them, can actually be enjoyed without getting married. Ladies seem to place more emphasis on marriage as compared to guys, what I can't understand is why most Nigerian ladies, irrespective of their career success, do not consider themselves "complete" until they eventually get married. I think it may have to do with the cultural indoctrination the society makes ladies go through though.[/b]
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 09, 2011
emmatok:

Sorry why go through all those stress, when you can have your life to yourself.

Your daily activities is not determined by a wife or children.

your single life is just as stressful.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Galaxy7: 10:09pm On Sep 09, 2011
YES marriage is worth it, right from the beginning of creation when God created Adam, He discovered that he{ADAM} was not happy despite all the goodies provided by God to make him happy,not until Jehovah God made a companion out from his ribs, that wz when he{ADAM} experienced full joy, satisfaction and happiness.

I am living a life full of pains and sorrow because i am still searching ,No matter how much i try to make people understand my predicament they don't care because it is noon of their deal, it means a situation where a monkey takes drugs for the Baboon's headache But your wife/husband is there to shear your sorrow,pains and shame as well as your joy and happiness.

Don't forget that when you marry a woman that is yours that is when you talk about TWO HEADS  being better than one but when you marry another mans woman LOL grin grin grin That means TWO IDIOTIC heads.

A gr8 deal of Fasting  and prayers b4 going into marriage is important}}}

Go for some body who has what it takes not a child of Satan so that you will not have problems with your father in-law SATAN when set  according to Deeper life pastor kumuyi.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Emperoh(m): 10:12pm On Sep 09, 2011
~Sissy~:

dont sweat it. am sure God understands that even though he ordained marriage, it wasn't meant for everyone.  it is not worth the stress for some

I know so but some of those end as priests!!!
Not begging the situ, but u know we moan like the issues we are crying of started all of a sudden
We created it ourselves. See people complaining of needing space as if to say we stood on earth on our own!
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Sep 09, 2011
Wow Dayokanu whines more than I do. tongue Scary. tongue
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by emmatok(m): 10:21pm On Sep 09, 2011
davidylan:

your single life is just as stressful.

Lol, just stop it,

How can single life be more  stressful then marriage life.

Stop living in denial my friend.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 09, 2011
emmatok:

Lol, just stop it,

How can single life be more  stressful then marriage life.

Stop living in denial my friend.

One day you will look back and wish you could take those words back.
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Sep 09, 2011
stillwater:

Wow Dayokanu whines more than I do. tongue Scary. tongue

nwam stilly! That CANNOT be you in that foto! who be the chic? the Lord has blessed me today. grin
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 09, 2011
//
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Sep 09, 2011
Maybe I sound naive, how's single life different from married life? grin

davidylan:

nwam stilly! That CANNOT be you in that foto! who be the chic? the Lord has blessed me today. grin

My sister o. I'm using her to pose for a while. cool
Re: Marriage: Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 09, 2011
chaircover:

Funny enough its the differences between the sexes that makes the relationship more interesting even more so when you start seeing the same differences between your male and female children.

We all cant be the same and If we all drank beer and watched football on Sky sports, then there wont be any need for Nollywood movies and Van Vicker will be a bus conductor or a tailor.

Life & relationships will be pretty boring if both sexes were similar.

Lol, I don't know how difference in television tastes is scaring dayo from marriage. If he cannot settle such trivial differences I agree he's better off staying unmarried. Marriage is for the BRAVEEEE!!!! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Husband Seeks Divorce Over Food, Threat To Life / Bad Sperm Parameters Fixable With Natural Herbs / If Your Spouse Came Home Drunk: Your Reaction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.