Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal (10997 Views)

Okonjo-iweala Responds To Oshiomhole's Accusation / Buhari Responds To #babawhileyouweregone / Okonjo-Iweala Responds To Soludo's Attack (Press Release) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by HighChief4(m): 3:04am On Sep 11, 2011
^^^[b]Kolo[/b]junkie, cant you just shuut the Bleep up or is it that time of the month? One thing is that, of all the hatred you have for this woman, you can never achieve in 1000 years what she has achieved. If you are not really gettin paid for hating, then stop working for free. SMH@you comparing some UN peace-keeping position given to Obasanjo to her position in the world bank.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by manny4life(m): 3:09am On Sep 11, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ If we followed your logic for a second there, then Obansanjo is absolutely clean since he passed UN screening exercise to become a UN representative then?  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

We should now consider UN, and World bank screening as absolutes when it comes to how clean/dirty any of our politicians/public officials are. No need for our own EFCC investigating them huh? sounds like a good plan! undecided grin grin grin grin

Madam at times replying you is just a waste of time; pouring water on rock.

WBG Executive Director Position which goes through intense Background Checks, Security Checks and even interim security clearance et al from Board of Governors of Rep countries is something your comparing to an appointed representative aide / envoy which i guess is unpaid.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by Kobojunkie: 3:11am On Sep 11, 2011
High_Chief:

^^^[b]Kolo[/b]junkie, cant you just shuut the bleep up or is it that time of the month? One thing is that, of all the hatred you have for this woman, you can never achieve in 1000 years what she has achieved. If you are not really gettin paid for hating, then stop working for free. SMH@you comparing some UN peace-keeping position given to Obasanjo to her position in the world bank.

We get that in your village, it is only when folks harbor hate for others, that they attempt to use their God given brains to reason things out A BIT mORE than the whole village is probably used to. I get that. It would be great if you could maybe take your own advice there and just shut it as you are really debasing your village the more you try to seem intelligent in this. If you did not know this, peace-keepers are equally screened by the UN. It is not just a walk off the street job at all.
manny4life:

WBG Executive Director Position which goes through intense Background Checks, Security Checks and even interim security clearance et al from Board of Governors of Rep countries is something your comparing to an appointed representative aide / envoy which i guess is unpaid.
Again . . . .
Kobojunkie:

^^^ If we followed your logic for a second there, then Obansanjo is absolutely clean since he passed UN screening exercise to become a UN representative then?  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided 

We should now consider UN, and World bank screening as absolutes when it comes to how clean/dirty any of our politicians/public officials are. No need for our own EFCC investigating them huh? sounds like a good plan! undecided grin grin grin grin
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by Abuloma80(f): 3:11am On Sep 11, 2011
So far almost all the posts appeared to be from her kins men and women, lets wait and see as events unfold!! wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by htajz: 3:11am On Sep 11, 2011
Kobojunkie:

she said she does not have a brother that bears the name jon jon neither was she involved in sharing contracts ,why not tell your rumour reporters and wikileaks to go and verify that rather than reporting beer palour news.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by 2mch(m): 3:14am On Sep 11, 2011
manny4life:

Not supporting Kobo J, but you do realize that the World Bank is an international organization and this is classified information belonging to the US. If the US ddoes not deem fit to expose this information they wont. I dont think a country like the US will always show all its cards. I dont think her being in a transperent international organization has any effect on their policies. Her being there is even better for them. When they flash what they know she will do what they ask even in the World Bank.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by Kobojunkie: 3:14am On Sep 11, 2011
htajz:

she said she does not have a brother that bears the name jon jon neither was she involved in sharing contracts ,why not tell your rumour reporters and wikileaks to go and verify that rather than reporting beer palour news.

Wikileaks reports she was manipulated - - -  something you had no clue of for over 5 years. Today we know that it happened, she says it did.

Instead of asking the right questions, you just want to go on what she said? Really? She did not feel you needed to know (even though she now claims it was even investigated), but you expect us all to take her word, in response to a reveal, not even from a Nigerian source, but a FOREIGN SOURCE. Will you also be willing to do the same with cases against, I don't know, people like Tinubu, Yar adua, Obasanjo, Ribadu, Ohakim, Bode George, Orji Kalu, etc? I mean cause this your INGENIOUS way of looking at issues ought to be applied across the board, right?
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by aloyemeka1: 3:16am On Sep 11, 2011
htajz:

why did she bother replying , every sensible nigerian knows wikilwaks and saharareporters are just rumour mongers, if she was currupt she would never had passed screening excercise to become world bank president.

When did Iweala become world bank president?
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by htajz: 3:21am On Sep 11, 2011
aloy/emeka:

When did Iweala become world bank president?
what was she again? wetin concern me sef
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by manny4life(m): 3:38am On Sep 11, 2011
2mch:

Not supporting Kobo J, but you do realize that the World Bank is an international organization and this is classified information belonging to the US. If the US ddoes not deem fit to expose this information they wont. I dont think a country like the US will always show all its cards. I dont think her being a transperent international organization has any effect on their policies. Her being there is even better for them. When they flash what they know she will do what they ask even in the World Bank.

I'm glad you said it's an "International Organization" and I don't know what classified info you're talking about, if you're referring to the cable, that belongs to U.S. obviously but has nothing to do with the Board of Governors of WBG. That does not prevent the BoGs from carrying out their investigation as matter of fact, people appointed into international organizational offices hold impeccable records, from finances / credit to personal background information to education et al. Yes her record is very significant to her policies because a corrupt leader with dirt is more than likely to lead in corrupt path, make corrupt decisions, likely to engage in corrupt practices and fraud et al. When you go to get a U.S fed job, particularly those with clearances with confidential, you MUST have impeccable Credit Checks, Background Checks must be CLEAN. Her being there with a dirty record of FRAUD doesn't speak high ethics and responsibility of the international organization
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by manny4life(m): 3:42am On Sep 11, 2011
Iweala wasn't a WBG president; she is an Executive Managing Director for Asian- Europe Market i.e. if I'm correct. People often think she was because she tied with Dr. Zoellich but U.S. appointed Zoellich rather than her though the Board of Governors considered her. In the hierarchical order, she and three other people are next to Zoellich
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by 2mch(m): 3:44am On Sep 11, 2011
manny4life:

I'm glad you said it's an "International Organization" and I don't know what classified info you're talking about, if you're referring to the cable, that belongs to U.S. obviously but has nothing to do with the Board of Governors of WBG. That does not prevent the BoGs from carrying out their investigation as matter of fact, people appointed into international organizational offices hold impeccable records, from finances / credit to personal background information to education et al. Yes her record is very significant to her policies because a corrupt leader with dirt is more than likely to lead in corrupt path, make corrupt decisions, likely to engage in corrupt practices and fraud et al. When you go to get a U.S fed job, particularly those with clearances with confidential, you MUST have impeccable Credit Checks, Background Checks must be CLEAN. Her being there with a dirty record of FRAUD doesn't speak high ethics and responsibility of the international organization

How is an international organization going to get classified american information? Some classified information, even the president of America is unaware of until it becomes relevant to their country. So, anyone can do background checks and not find anything. It is classified for a reason. The person that leaked all of this is facing life in prison. So this is not a small issue, it is a very big embarrassment. America has no reason to do background check for World Bank on Iweala, except it favors them. And at that juncture it didnt, but trust me this was an ace in their hands.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by aloyemeka1: 3:45am On Sep 11, 2011
manny4life:

Half of them here do not know what is clearance. Okonjo will have up to level 3 clearance in the Us to be considered at all for that job and with such noose on her neck, they won't even try shortlisting her in the first place.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by 2mch(m): 3:54am On Sep 11, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Half of them here do not know what is clearance. Okonjo will have up to level 3 clearance in the Us to be considered at all for that job and with such noose on her neck, they won't even try shortlisting her in the first place.

International organization like world bank? US level 3 clearance? buahahahahaha. funny stuff. World Bank is totally independent of any country. Lets take for instance IMF, the guy that was accused of raping an african, he had been accused of raping a french woman prior to becoming IMF chief as well. But did this come up? nope.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by manny4life(m): 3:56am On Sep 11, 2011
2mch:

How is an international organization going to get classified american information? Some classified information, even the president of America is unaware of until it becomes relevant to their country. So, anyone can do background checks and not find anything. It is classified for a reason. The person that leaked all of this is facing life in prison. So this is not a small issue, it is a very big embarrassment. America has no reason to do background check for World Bank on Iweala, except it favors them. And at that juncture it didnt, but trust me this was an ace in their hands.

That U.S. has classified info doesn't mean that Paris, Britain et al who sit on the board as well don't have classified info as well. Why do u feel so confident that U.S. classified info is the SH/I/T. How they will get is because all nations who contribute to WBG have a governing treaty and in as long as Paris requests for information regarding to that effect, U.S. will honor the request. A classified material has two requirements; are you cleared to see the material, answer is YES, second do you have a need for that material "on a need basis" answer is YES.

The sad news is that it's just NOT ANYONE, these are Board member countries ok, and just because U.S. has info on her and classified doesn't mean France, Britain, Italy, Germany, Japan, China,and the others he don't have other classified materials on her as well. I never said U.S. is the one doing it, I clearly said the Board of Governors of the WBG or Member countries are the ones who does it because they contribute their nation money to WBG so they have vested interest. As for the guy who snitched, that's his problem not mine
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by 2mch(m): 4:01am On Sep 11, 2011
manny4life:

That U.S. has classified info doesn't mean that Paris, Britain et al who sit on the board as well don't have classified info as well. Why do u feel so confident that U.S. classified info is the SH/I/T. How they will get is because all nations who contribute to WBG have a governing treaty and in as long as Paris requests for information regarding to that effect, U.S. will honor the request. A classified material has two requirements; are you cleared to see the material, answer is YES, second do you have a need for that material "on a need basis" answer is YES.

The sad news is that it's just NOT ANYONE, these are Board member countries ok, and just because U.S. has info on her and classified doesn't mean France, Britain, Italy, Germany, Japan, China,and the others he don't have other classified materials on her as well. I never said U.S. is the one doing it, I clearly said the Board of Governors of the WBG or Member countries are the ones who does it because they contribute their nation money to WBG so they have vested interest. As for the guy who snitched, that's his problem not mine

LOL! You are assuming all these countries share spies? hehehehe. Everyone holds their cards tightly until it affects their foreign policy. Wetin concern them with world bank. Dont you think it favors these countries a lot more to have people they have something on in sensitive positions, who at a snap of their finger things can change in their favor. It is clear, the US does not need and does not owe anyone/ country any obligation to spill its intelligence. That is the edge they have over other countries, intelligence. Their spies are well placed, well payed and well spied on as well. Hope Nigeria learns a thing or two about intelligence gathering from this wikileaks saga, and start to seriously build theirs too. There is power in information. Iweala has been found out. She is not the first or the last looter. The point is her hands are not clean, and she is not a saint. Even El-Rufai was mentioned at, and he has not come out to deny. cheesy grin
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by manny4life(m): 4:04am On Sep 11, 2011
2mch:

International organization like world bank? US level 3 clearance? buahahahahaha. funny stuff. World Bank is totally independent of any country. Lets take for instance IMF, the guy that was accused of Desecrating an african, he had been accused of Desecrating a french woman prior to becoming IMF chief as well. But did this come up? nope.

There goes the gossip again, DSK was accused, arrested but was he CONVICTED? NO he wasn't so that argument doesn't hold. Again WBG is independent but countries contribute their money to WBG right? WBG was organized on treaties of nations meaning they have access to view a nations financial profile so u telling me an exec director won't have a security clearance for that purpose is just lame. For instance U.S. is a member of NATO, but NATO and U.S. defense command use different security clearances. Now look at the nations that make up NATO. each of these countries have their own clearance levels outside the other member nations and outside NATO.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by manny4life(m): 4:08am On Sep 11, 2011
2mch:

LOL! You are assuming all these countries share spies? hehehehe. Everyone holds their cards tightly until it affects their foreign policy. Wetin concern them with world bank. Dont you think it favors these countries a lot more to have people they have something on in sensitive positions, who at a snap of their finger things can change in their favor. It is clear, the US does not need and does not owe anyone/ country any obligation to spill its intelligence. That is the edge they have over other countries, intelligence. Their spies are well placed, well payed and well spied on as well. Hope Nigeria learns a thing or two about intelligence gathering from this wikileaks saga, and start to seriously build theirs too. There is power in information. Iweala has been found out. She is not the first or the last looter. The point is her hands are not clean, and she is not a saint. Even El-Rufai was mentioned at, and he has not come out to deny. cheesy grin

Dude, this was classified as "SECRET" not even "TOP SECRET" let alone with a compartment. Like I said again, that U.S. ambassador Sanders reported to DC, how are we so sure that France Ambassador did not report a different thing to Paris? Same applies to Germany. Like I said, WBG is a treaty of Nations, and contributing member countries share common information. This is unlike sharing a different information that concerns U.S. only, by the laws of treaties, U.S. as well as other member nations will honor these treaties.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by aloyemeka1: 4:14am On Sep 11, 2011
2mch:

International organization like world bank? US level 3 clearance? buahahahahaha. funny stuff. World Bank is totally independent of any country. Lets take for instance IMF, the guy that was accused of Desecrating an african, he had been accused of Desecrating a french woman prior to becoming IMF chief as well. But did this come up? nope.
Duh, it was an accusation. Since when did accusation become a statement of guilt?.And I stand by my initial claim that Ngozi must have at least a level 2 clearance in the US and even a level 1 clearance cannot be given to anybody who has such scandal hanging over her head. If she has it prior to that scandal, it will be revoked immediately.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by Kobojunkie: 5:19am On Sep 11, 2011

Anywho, back to the leak.

http://wikileaks.org/cable/2006/02/06ABUJA483.html

---------------
What Can We Do?
---------------

¶13.   (S/REL UK)[size=13pt] While we cannot prove all of these accusations in a court of law, their significance is that they are widely believed both among political figures and among that part of the general public that is politically aware.  [/size] It is in the USG's interest to support Nigeria's efforts to root out corruption and, while our positive public pronouncements contribute to the environment, the biggest influence we can have is the judicious use of U.S. visa revocation for corrupt practices, as provided by Presidential Proclamation 7750. [size=13pt] Though we are unable to identify every corrupt official, the Mission is compiling a list of some prominent and egregious corrupt officials from throughout the country.  This list will take into consideration the individuals, levels of corruption and the impact on Nigerian stability of a 7750 decision.  The list could be expanded in many directions, but the Mission feels that such an effort would demonstrate the sincerity and seriousness of the USG's commitment to good governance and, if these individuals are found ineligible, that finding could contribute greatly to entrenching the precepts of good governance and accountability in Nigeria.[/size]
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by rhymz(m): 8:50am On Sep 11, 2011
Serioisly, a lot of the comments here are dumb. Does it mean we as human beings can't be objective when it comes to people we do not like?
What I have seen so far from the so-called wikiLeaks are are assumptions, hear-say,word in the streets and nothing new. I even find it funny that some people arrogate to the US some kind of super-spy intelligence and all they could come up with are these childish briefs and informal letters they call reports.
The wikileaks so far are mere gossips, somebody's perception of the political system at the time it was written, the information given are not even detailed. It is even more annoying that the writer(the American Ambassador, I presumr) will not make mention of his source to even his own government but will rather engage in baseless general corruption accusation. Who is jon-jon? What exactly is the nature of the alleged contract? Was the so-called Jon-Jon qualified to handle the conyract? What exactly is the nature of Okonjo's relationship with the said jon-jon? How is okonjo complicit in the contract? Or does it mean Mr Ambassador's source did not give him details of his accusations.
Look mehn, anyone can get access to the US ambassador and say $hit to him about different people in government, it does not neccessarily mean it is true.
There is nothing in this wikileak report that is new to Nigerians except that the whole thing is somebody's views of what is going on in Nigeria's polity. Those are not facts and should be taken with a pinch of salt.en, the information given are not even detailed. It is even more annoying that the writer(the American Ambassador, I presumr) will not make mention of his source to even his own government but will rather engage in baseless general corruption accusation. Who is jon-jon? What exactly is the nature of the alleged contract? Was the so-called Jon-Jon qualified to handle the conyract? What exactly is the nature of Okonjo's relationship with the said jon-jon? How is okonjo complicit in the contract? Or does it mean Mr Ambassador's source did not give him details of his accusations.
Look mehn, anyone can get access to the US ambassador and say $hit to him about different people in government, it does not neccessarily mean it is true.
There is nothing in this wikileak report that is new to Nigerians except that the whole thing is somebody's views of what is going on in Nigeria's polity. Those are not facts and should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by deadie(m): 8:55am On Sep 11, 2011
It is quite dumb for anyone to attack Sahara reporters based on the Wikileaks report they published. How does it bring their credibility to question? Question the credibility of Wikileaks, not Saharareporters. Will you question the credibility of Vanguard, Guardian, Tribune, The Sun, etc if they published the same story?
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by rhymz(m): 9:08am On Sep 11, 2011
Serioisly, a lot of the comments here are dumb. Does it mean we as human beings can't be objective when it comes to people we do not like?
What I have seen so far from the so-called wikiLeaks are are assumptions, hear-say,word in the streets and nothing new. I even find it funny that some people arrogate to the US some kind of super-spy intelligence and all they could come up with are these childish briefs and informal letters they call reports.
The wikileaks so far are mere gossips, somebody's perception of the political system at the time it was written, the information given are not even detailed. It is even more annoying that the writer(the American Ambassador, I presumr) will not make mention of his source to even his own government but will rather engage in baseless general corruption accusation. Who is jon-jon? What exactly is the nature of the alleged contract? Was the so-called Jon-Jon qualified to handle the conyract? What exactly is the nature of Okonjo's relationship with the said jon-jon? How is okonjo complicit in the contract? Or does it mean Mr Ambassador's source did not give him details of his accusations.
There is nothing in this wikileak report that is new to Nigerians except that the whole thing is somebody's views of what is going on in Nigeria's polity. Those are not facts and should be taken with a pinch of salt.
deadie:

It is quite dumb for anyone to attack Sahara reporters based on the Wikileaks report they published. How does it bring their credibility to question? Question the credibility of Wikileaks, not Saharareporters. Will you question the credibility of Vanguard, Guardian, Tribune, The Sun, etc if they published the same story?
that is besides the point.
The question is what is the basis of this accusation. Mr Campbell's source told him that Okonjo cornered a consulting contract of 50million Dollas without any seroius facts to back it up. No real names, name of consultant company, what type of consult work did he do for the ministry, what actually is the nature of the their relationship. The Minister has denied having any brother whose name is jonjon and denied being linked to any contract.
I am appalled that people will even take seriously these beer parlour accusations seriously even in the absence of facts.
Opinions are free my brother but facts are very sacred and neccessary to take this kind of stories serious. It is like the one released between Sanusi and Mis Sandas where Sanusi was giving her his opinion on different issues and personalities in government, it does not mean those are facts. Abeg enough of this rubbish conversational wikileak, it is becoming childish and boring.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by goggs(m): 9:46am On Sep 11, 2011
hey let us get one thing clear about wikileaks. they are accounts of discussions some people had with low level US diplomats. these were just discussions and many of it not from people knowledgeable in the subject sef. eg Maitama Sule running his mouth on.what transpired in the villa when he wasn't in government. me thinks that some of these people were telling stories (manufactured or recycled gossips) just to gain the ambassadors favour. and the Americans,as gullible as they are think that some nigerians are as honest as some of them are. sure some of them came from officials but again its
mostly unsubstantiated jist. we may argue that there is no smoke without a fire, we should not take these revelations as though they came from God. let it be the basis for further investigation by reporters and additional materials to validate the story not this cut and paste thing happening. also it goes to show how low we take ourselves by running to the us ambassador to blab about sensitive government information even when they are unsubstantiated. gosh the Americans must be amused
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by rhymz(m): 10:15am On Sep 11, 2011
goggs:

hey let us get one thing clear about wikileaks. they are accounts of discussions some people had with low level US diplomats. these were just discussions and many of it not from people knowledgeable in the subject sef. eg Maitama Sule running his mouth on.what transpired in the villa when he wasn't in government. me thinks that some of these people were telling stories (manufactured or recycled gossips) just to gain the ambassadors favour. and the Americans,as gullible as they are think that some nigerians are as honest as some of them are. sure some of them came from officials but again its
mostly unsubstantiated jist. we may argue that there is no smoke without a fire, we should not take these revelations as though they came from God. let it be the basis for further investigation by reporters and additional materials to validate the story not this cut and paste thing happening. also it goes to show how low we take ourselves by running to the us ambassador to blab about sensitive government information even when they are unsubstantiated. gosh the Americans must be amused

Thank God we still have Nigerians with good heads on their shoulders. wikilLEAKS KO GOOGlEAKS NI.
Seriously, these Ambassadors think they are smart getting this kind of beer parlour information from Nigerians sucking up to them for favour.
Only a Fool will waste his or her time arguing with that rabble-rouser that calls herself Kobojunkie. It is well established fact that her arguments are without substance just stems from a need to practise her argumentative skills. Prolly studying law or sth or perhaps a lawyer wanna-be that likes to leave her lawyer fantasies on NL except that she always argues aimlessly and end up confusing herself. Besides, she likes to believe the worst about people, prolly a victim of a misplaced trust in a Nigerian friend hence her paranoia.
Eko-ile is a Tinubu Hack. The only person that is a saint Politician is Tinubu, any other person is a rogue even if in reality, Ngozi's reputation will pale Tinubu's repution when compared, he still will gladly believe the worst about the woman and doubt the obvious about Tinubu. Na dis kind person na im people wan take seriously? Scheeeew!! God. let it be the basis for further investigation by reporters and additional materials to validate the story not this cut and paste thing happening. also it goes to show how low we take ourselves by running to the us ambassador to blab about sensitive government information even when they are unsubstantiated. gosh the Americans must be amused

[quote][/quote] Thank God we still have Nigerians with good heads on their shoulders. wikilLEAKS KO GOOGlEAKS NI.
Seriously, these Ambassadors think they are smart getting this kind of beer parlour information from Nigerians sucking up to them for favour.
Only a Fool will waste his or her time arguing with that rabble-rouser that calls herself Kobojunkie. It is well established fact that her arguments are without substance just stems from a need to practise her argumentative skills. Prolly studying law or sth or perhaps a lawyer wanna-be that likes to leave her lawyer fantasies on NL except that she always argues aimlessly and end up confusing herself. Besides, she likes to believe the worst about people, prolly a victim of a misplaced trust in a Nigerian friend hence her paranoia.
Eko-ile is a Tinubu Hack. The only person that is a saint Politician is Tinubu, any other person is a rogue even if in reality, Ngozi's reputation will pale Tinubu's repution when compared, he still will gladly believe the worst about the woman and doubt the obvious about Tinubu. Na dis kind person na im people wan take seriously? Scheeeew!!
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by Kobojunkie: 11:37am On Sep 11, 2011
¶9.    (S/REL UK) It is also widely believed that the  President's inner circle also reaps hefty rewards with  impunity.  Some frequently cited examples are:

CHECK--Edmund Daukoro, recently named Minister of State for  Petroleum Resources, was charged in 1994 for embezzling some  $47 million as a managing director of the Nigerian National  Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).  The charges were abandoned, and Daukoro's political career soared when Obasanjo took office in 1999.

CHECK--Senator Florence Ita Giwa, indicted for misappropriation of funds by the Idris Kuta Panel in 2000, was pardoned along with other indicted senators, and she was named a special advisor to Obasanjo when she left office.

CHECK--The head of the National Airport Management Authority (NAMA), Rochas Okorocha, was caught and dismissed for embezzling about $1 million through an inflated contract; Obasanjo then appointed him as a senior aide, without requiring Okorocha to repay the stolen funds.  Okorocha was eventually fired on July 13 in a cabinet reshuffle, but went on to start a political party for his renewed presidential ambitions.

CHECK--The recent auction of oil blocks included some firms bidding,, sometimes with no prior ties to the oil industry, that were linked to Obasanjo associates, including Daukoro, Rivers State governor Peter Odili, Ogun State  governor Gbenga Daniel, presidential advisor Andy Uba,  presidential chief of staff Abdullahi Mohammed, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory Nasir al-Rufai and PDP Board of Trustees Chairman Tony Anenih.

CHECK--Anenih was indicted by the National Assembly for the sum of 300 billion Naira (approximately $2.4 billion) missing from Ministry of Works and Housing while he was the minister.  The missing money is widely believed to have paid off 2003 elections  "expenses," including to Balogun, in addition to lining his own pockets.

CHECK--Minister of Finance Ngozie Okonjo-Iweala is said to have steered contracts to her brother (JonJon) with the help of al-Rufai.  The contracts, said to amount to about $50 million, have been paid for consulting work for the Ministry.

CHECK--Al-Rufai is at the center of the corruption allegations. Well-known to PolCouns eight year ago, when he was homeless and seeking a loan to import a taxi from the UK, al-Rufai is said to have recently purchased seven upscale properties in a posh Abuja neighborhood.  His demolitions of commercial and residential buildings in the capital have reportedly provided an opportunity for himself and several of his friends.  After demolishing residential properties in Kubwa, the land was reallocated to several of his friends and to an investment company he allegedly owns.  The community of Chika, where about two square miles of development was demolished in December, has allegedly been allocated to the same group of people.

CHECK--Chief Olabode George, current PDP National Chairman (Southwest) is a close friend of President Obasanjo and a leading proponent of the Third Term Agenda.  He is one of the people accused of financial recklessness in the affairs of the National Port Authority, where he was chairman when the financial scandals were allegedly committed.  He was retired from the Navy in the 1990s by the Babangida Administration after serving as military governor of Ondo State from 1987 to 1990 in addition to other military postings.

CHECK--Chris Uba, recently appointed to the PDP Board of Trustees, admitted rigging during the 2003 elections and attempted to kidnap the governor of Anambra state to try to collect payments for his efforts.  Linked closely to several vigilante groups in the state, he is widely believed to be responsible for the burning of many state government buildings in Awka, crimes that have yet to be solved.

From the wikileak reveal
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by Kobojunkie: 11:39am On Sep 11, 2011
CHECK[/b]10.   (C/REL UK) Obasanjo himself is believed to be one of the owners of Suntrust Petroleum.  And questions remain about the Obasanjo Library project, which collected enormous sums of money from government contractors, banks, industrialists, and state governors, ostensibly for the construction of a presidential library, the plans for which are vague.  It is widely believed throughout the country that Obasanjo and his son, Gbenga, are major shareholders in the newly reorganized Zenith Bank and UBA Bank as well as in airlines and the telecommunications sector.

[b]CHECK
¶11.   (C/REL UK) The Bureau of Private Enterprises oversaw the privatization of many government-owned business, including sugar, steel, rice and other sectors.  It is widely believed that the privatization exercise benefited both the President, through Aliko Dangote, and the Vice President, through various agents.

¶12.   (C/REL UK) Meanwhile, at the state level, the personal excesses of several governors indicate that they are finding ways to supplement their government salaries:

CHECK--Edo State governor Lucky Igbenedion purchased a $6 million mansion in London in 2000 through a series of shell companies, a year after he was elected governor.  He has two Ferraris on the premises.  He also owns reputedly the most expensive residence in Abuja, estimated at $25 million.

CHECK--Delta State governor James Ibori owns two London estates. The properties were purchased for $3 million and $4 million, respectively, after Ibori was elected governor.  Through a shell company registered to his London-based wife, he offered for public auction an ongoing supply of 6 million barrels of oil per month.  When reporters confronted his wife, the shell companies abruptly changed their directors so that Ibori's wife was no longer listed.

CHECK--Rivers State governor Peter Odili has built an impressive portfolio from his corrupt dealings as governor of one of the oil-rich states in Nigeria since his first election in 1999. Beginning his political career as a medical doctor with a small private clinic in Port Harcourt, he now hosts extravagant events and boasts that it would not have been possible "before he became governor."  Further, he is widely suspected of being directly responsible for facilitating massive irregularities in both the 1999 and 2003 elections. His own state officials have claimed that Odili has employed militia groups, many of which are responsible for the continuing unrest in the delta region.

CHECK--Each of the 36 state governors donated 10 million naira (about $75,000) to the Obasanjo library project.   Following a public outcry, the library organizers stated the donations were from the governors' personal funds, but several governors backpedaled from their commitments, claiming they had made no such pledges.  When a Lagos lawyer filed a code of conduct complaint alleging conflict of interest in the President's receiving these donations from recipients of government funds, Obasanjo invoked the immunity clause of the constitution, and the complaint died out.

Again, directly from the wikileak reveal.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 11, 2011
[size=24pt]Obasanjo Sacked Okonjo- Iweala For Corruption?[/size] « on: September 09, 2011, 10:10 AM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date Published: 09/08/11

Why Okonjo-Iweala was sacked by Obasanjo

Fresh facts have emerged as to why current finance minister, Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala was fired by former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Okonjo-Iweala who was top shot at the World Bank but  returned  to assume duties as substantive finance  minister under President Goodluck Jonathan,  was curiously  removed by Obasanjo as finance minister and redeployed to the foreign Affairs ministry for undisclosed reasons.

She is currently tagged the " supervisory " minister by President Goodluck Jonathan, a title that has  put permanent frowns on the faces of her colleagues who feel the elevation was unnecessary.

Okonjo-Iweala  negotiated a landmark deal in which the Paris Club of rich sovereign creditors wrote off USD 18 billion of debt Africa's largest debt cancellation. Nigeria then usedwindfall earnings from oil exports to pay off another USD 12 billion in debts and arrears.

However the figure of $34 billion in foreign put forward in 2006 by her office and that of the former Governor of Central Bank, Charles Soludo was disputed by Senator Farouk Bello Munza who maintained that the figure was about $9 billion.

Shortly after she was removed as minister, Obasanjo relieved her as chairman of his economic think tank.  

But in a chat  with Pointblanknews.com in Abuja, former presidential candidate for the Peoples Mandate Party (PMP), Dr Batos Nwadike insisted Obasanjo fired Okonjo- Iweala  because of the debt buy back deal. He said further that even though the deal appeared legitimate, there were some moral questions that cast doubt on the intentions of the former minister .

According him, even though Obasanjo saw her as the one with the magic wand, the former President was upset when he discovered went happened in the back room.

Nwadike maintained that Obasanjo discovered that the firm that brokered the $12  Billion debt buy back deal had links with Okonjo Iweala . He alleged that ex minister's  sibling was a a top official of the firm, which got about $2 Billion as commission from the deal.

He said " Why was she removed. Of course there was a commission in that deal. There was a company that facilitated the deal, and of course people know the owners of the company. This woman had collected her salaries in dollars. About $2billion was paid as commission to the company that facilitated that debt buy back. The company is owned by her siblings, it's not a secret no more.If you check the records of the Paris Club and World Bank you will find the owners."

Nwadike who took shots at the proposed six year single tenure  continued "  Some can say it was legitimate, but I don't think so. I think it smacks of corruption. One of the magic wand she came with was to pay back the debt arguing that we were paying so much in interest , therefore okay to just pay back. President Obasanjo bought into it, and decided tom pay back. Was not strategic to pay all back.Her siblings are part owners of the the company that brokered the deal. Of course something must have accrued to her."

The former presidential candidate who also condemned the sacking of the former President  of the Court of  Appeal, Justice Ayo Salamai, said " Obasanjo got angry because the way he celebrated her was amazing because he believed she had the magic wand. Why was she reassigned. Obasanjo got pissed off when he smelt corruption, no need changing his winning team. She was winning by paying back. It was celebrated. So why the sudden change of mind. he will tell us someday, and I will vindicated . When  She was removed as chairman of the economic  team , she left. Knew the game was up. She benefited from the deal, and Obasanjo found out, they got 10 per cent. " This topic is locked, you are not allowed to post or modify messages

http://www.pointblanknews.com/News/os5512.html

THIS TOPIC WAS REMOVED FROM NAIRALAND FRONT PAGE AND THEN, 'This topic is locked, you are not allowed to post or modify messages'

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=755633.msg9111147#msg9111147

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-755765.0.html

THIS WOMAN GET POWER.
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by baslone: 11:58am On Sep 11, 2011
I have never believed this woman to be Clean!

Na beans!
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by cap28: 1:08pm On Sep 11, 2011
Is there a chance that nigerians will grow brains over night and put tribalism to one side?i doubt it - the woman is a theif, has always been a thief and will remain a thief, she is laughing in your faces at how easily she has been able to fool all of you. I am igbo but i do not condone corruption, i couldnt give a shi.t where a person comes from - its the content of the person's character that i am more concerned with not their ethnic background.
clearly this woman is lacking in that department (as well as many others)

for obasanjo of all people to sack her for corruption makes it even worse.
but i say to all of her followers and apologists - this is just the beginning - she hasnt shown you her real face yet, when she removes the fuel subsidy and starts really cranking up the austerity measures thats when you will really realise how big a mistake you have made by backing her - good luck!
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by gists: 2:04pm On Sep 11, 2011
@kobo
Stop wasting your time because some people are incapable of analyzing issues objectively (probably beyond redemption).

@pro ngozi
You guys want us to believe she's a saint just because she works for the World bank. I really don't know if she is innocent or not. Just one question though? Why would the US keep such an info in their database if they don't see it as important; -if they don't see it as needed (possibly for future manipulation)?
Re: Okonju Iweala Responds To Wikileaks Scandal by innason(m): 2:05pm On Sep 11, 2011
the debt deal was done and Nigeria got the debt cancellation certificate. so what if there was a commission on the deal? if it was the best options of all the tenderrs for the job which suites the Nigerian economy so why wont we do the deal? we should only be indicting the minister if the deal was not well done or if the agenda on the deal was not met. I know of some governors who have awarded road projects to their personal companies and these companies perform. so what? her own case is 'akamu' For me if the job is done in favour of the country,the economy,and the Nigerian populace the pipe player deserves his wages.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atiku Not Sincere About Restructuring, Job Creation — Sagay / Enugu Fire: Ugwuanyi Replaces Burnt Commercial Bus And Two Tricycles For Victims / Inland Containers Nigeria Limited Sign MOU For Bonded Terminal In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.