Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,161 members, 7,835,878 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria (27412 Views)

Igala Language In Anambra State. / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 9:44pm On Sep 04, 2007
redsun:

Loosen up,yamheads.English language is not an issue to a blackman,rather it is detrimental,it's part and parcel of our nemesis,same with adopted religions,blind faith.No original initiatives,not even the Masais of east africa can compared with us.

And you say all of this while residing in England Do you not see the hypocrisy of your statement?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 9:54pm On Sep 04, 2007
abeg nairaland na for all and sundry, educated and uneducated and partially educated and educationeded by personal hussling. lose o, loose o, throway o, all na de same tin.
de issue na communication abi no be so?

if pidgin too hard make we enter waffi cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Nella(f): 10:18pm On Sep 04, 2007
Nairaland is not the place to show whether u r Educated\smart or what ever most ITK's are trying to claim here with common simple English!!!! angry angry
this are the kind that worship the white people without even meeting or seeing them - PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry angry angry

why u condeming pidgin English with useless reasons u even heard a Black American speak English b4?? - don't u notice that they don't speak the correct English but arrange it their own way?? Example - instead of " what are u doing here" they say - what is u doing here" n many more
now what is wrong with that?? y u ain't condeming them??- but aslong as it's Nigeria u run to the white man!! PATHETIC, JUST PATHETIC!!

nairaland is nairaland! u guys that claim to know r just the one that like to carry shoulder up like they are something seeking for people to praise them that they are smart or what ever rubbish it is they want!!!! angry angry angry angry

once again : Pidgin English is just a way of talkin, u just have to know how to differenciate\speak the two and when\when not to speak it!!

apart 4rom that, there is nothing wrong with pidgin English, it's just a way of talking!!

NOW IF U AIN'T DOWN WITH THAT U CAN F*CK UR BLACK ASS WANNA BE WHITE ASS TRASH!!!!!! LOOSERS!!!!!
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 10:20pm On Sep 04, 2007
ok here are simple examples for the use of "lose" and "loose"

lose - e.g I am about to lose my mind on this thread tongue
lose - e.g did you lose your wallet?
lose - e.g who did you lose your, ahem, virginity to?  grin (for lack of appropriate examples, forgive me) tongue

loose - e.g I like to wear loose-fitting tops because they're more comfortable
loose - e.g would you happen to have any loose change?
loose - e.g that guy is very loose as he sleeps with every tina, doyin and hauwa grin

get the general drift? oya, where's my lesson money? grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 10:21pm On Sep 04, 2007
Nella, read and learn.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 10:22pm On Sep 04, 2007
it's LOSERS not LOOSERS. if you're going to diss people, at least spell it right to get your point across.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 10:26pm On Sep 04, 2007
Nella:

Nairaland is not the place to show whether you're Educated\smart or what ever most ITK's are trying to claim here with common simple English!!!! angry angry
this are the kind that worship the white people without even meeting or seeing them - PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry angry angry

why u condeming pidgin English with useless reasons u even heard a Black American speak English before?? - don't u notice that they don't speak the correct English but arrange it their own way?? Example - instead of " what are u doing here" they say - what is u doing here" n many more
now what is wrong with that?? y u ain't condeming them??- but aslong as it's Nigeria u run to the white man!! PATHETIC, JUST PATHETIC!!

nairaland is nairaland! u guys that claim to know r just the one that like to carry shoulder up like they are something seeking for people to praise them that they are smart or what ever rubbish it is they want!!!! angry angry angry angry

once again : Pidgin English is just a way of talkin, u just have to know how to differenciate\speak the two and when\when not to speak it!!

apart 4rom that, there is nothing wrong with pidgin English, it's just a way of talking!!

NOW IF You AIN'T DOWN WITH THAT You CAN F*CK UR BLACK ASS WANNA BE WHITE ASS TRASH!!!!!! LOOSERS!!!!!

Who on earth lied to you and told you that every Black American speaks like that? You need to get your head out of the sand and stop making things up. Usually, the people who talk like that, come from uneducated backgrounds and bad neighborhoods.

As for what's wrong with pidgin English, I don't feel like repeating myself for the 100th time. Read the topic again and you'll see my reasons why I think speaking pidgin is a bad idea.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 10:29pm On Sep 04, 2007
I don't really understand some of these people sad

any attempts to point out what should be done - i.e when speaking formal English, ends up in an accusation of 'packing white shit' and 'worshiping oyibo'

and they keep on repeating the same mistakes that were pointed out.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with pidgin English, the point is - when speaking/writing English formally, there is a sad drop in standards among Nigerians, it should not be swept under the carpet, but corrected. Anyone who deems him/herself too big to accept correction is on the road to failure. If however, the poor formal lingo use can be traced to pidgin, then it is a cause for concern.

soulpatrol i hope you're beginning to understand the depth of the problem even in this microcosm called nairaland. sad
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 10:38pm On Sep 04, 2007
@debosky. tell me about it embarassed
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:39pm On Sep 04, 2007
Why is she freaking out?

Does she really think the repetitive amounts of "mad faces" is gonna scare people from having opinions and discussions?

You better shut up and sit down or at least learn from soul_patrol's posts, sad little girl.

Have a problem with the topic, dont reply. So simple, Madam "looser". olodo oshi.

Just look at the post itself infact, Great example of what is terribly wrong. I hope you are not full Nigerian though cos you make me want to burn my passport. shio.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 10:43pm On Sep 04, 2007
debosky:

I don't really understand some of these people sad

any attempts to point out what should be done - i.e when speaking formal English, ends up in an accusation of 'packing white shit' and 'worshiping oyibo'

and they keep on repeating the same mistakes that were pointed out.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with pidgin English, the point is - when speaking/writing English formally, there is a sad drop in standards among Nigerians, it should not be swept under the carpet, but corrected. Anyone who deems him/herself too big to accept correction is on the road to failure. If however, the poor formal lingo use can be traced to pidgin, then it is a cause for concern.

soulpatrol i hope you're beginning to understand the depth of the problem even in this microcosm called nairaland. sad

Debosky,

My reasoning for pointing out pidgin English and why I believe it is in part, responsible for the terrible state of the English language in Nigeria is based on several reasons.

1) It is a simple fact that practice makes perfect. If you spend 80 percent of your day speaking pidgin, and only 20 percent of your day communicating in standard English, it's very probable that your English will suffer. If you don't speak regular English regularly, you're bound to make mistakes.

2) More and more students are speaking pidgin in school when in the older generations it was banned. As a result, standard English has taken a backseat to pidgin as the lingua franca.

3) Pidgin causes some people to be confused. This is a fact, some people say "gree" instead of "agree", "abeg" instead of "I beg" etc.

I'm not saying that pidgin is 100 percent responsible for the problems Nigerians have with English, but I feel like it contributes in some cases. Obviously, not everyone who speaks pidgin is incapable of speaking and writing good English. But there are some people who use pidgin as their crutch.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 10:54pm On Sep 04, 2007
just to go off topic a little. i've noticed one vicious cycle among african-americans. happens that u want to get out of the ghetto, to be successful and rub shoulders in the corporate world, u have to speak good English, when u do, ur people in the ghetto say u've become "Uncle Tom" or whatever and are acting "white". yet, if u speak Ebonics, broken English or whatever, people see u as igonrant and uneducated. how do you win? i just don't get it.

anyway, I was watching this movie the other day - "Akeela and the Bee" about this little black girl that was very intelligent and excelled at spelling. yet the people in her school, family, neighbourhood etc used to tease her because she was smart! how ignorant can that be? she was reluctant to get into the Spelling Bee contests for fear that people would ridicule her! now that's a movie that depicts real life and hopefully teaches people not to let ignorance get the best of them.

Speaking and writing proper English doesn't make u a sell out or butt-kisser. it simply makes things easier for u. speaking pidgin is fine and dandy, and we shouldn't give it up because it's part of our identity. but there is a time and place to speak it. at the same time, put in more effort to speak correct English! it's our Official language, so why can't we just make the best use of it?. let's strive to speak it even better than the westerners. undecided
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 11:01pm On Sep 04, 2007
oya now, when mopol stop you for road block make una make sure say na sound queen's english you go blow for am o. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 11:02pm On Sep 04, 2007
shushhhh, abeg
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 11:06pm On Sep 04, 2007
these people mixing pidgin and formal English will probably confuse the mopol and get themselves shot grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 11:19pm On Sep 04, 2007
debosky:

these people mixing pidgin and formal English will probably confuse the mopol and get themselves shot grin grin

we go speak queen's english for their burial. the mopol go defend himself for court say he think say them say make him shoot grin grin grin grin grin grin case go close.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 11:22pm On Sep 04, 2007
Dont tell me that you people are still at this pidgin english stuff, here is my take.

You with your dawgzzz, yarn your pidgin and have your fun.
You at work, or school, speak all the grammer and try to be as right as you could be.
Shikenna, haba, abeg make we find something else to talk about jare.
SoulPatrol, Obey said, there is nothing we can do to satisfy humans, so such is life
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 11:47pm On Sep 04, 2007
i think it is a truth that it is a worst state of affear that naija english is in.

i
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by WarfyBoy(m): 11:50pm On Sep 04, 2007
I dont tink this pidgin of a tin is a props, you can still learn to speak d 2  fluently, when it comes to using dem, you also kno wen nd were to use it, but i like pidgin english as well, especially d  Niger Delta Flows were i am from, its kool, if i  dey drop yanis 2day even graduate self de like, base on say na blood in dey

Your own na ur own oh, our own na our own, if dem even tink am self, dem dey use Grammar dey giv person work  4 NNPC, SHELL etc, or na english make Yar Adua B presido so, so make una leave mata 4 matyrs, i hapi say most nigerians in here kno d value of Pidgin,  n dey defend am, even d pidgin self no easy 2 spik >>.>>>.no b beans
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 11:58pm On Sep 04, 2007
Doyin, so what do you think would be the fix, we have agreed that there is a K-Leg in the state of our grammer, we have all agreed that we too dey over-trigger with english, so what is the solution?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 12:00am On Sep 05, 2007
Give up and make the lingua franca Pidgin grin grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 12:14am On Sep 05, 2007
Nigeria is too much for that, how about they me and you some millions of Dollars to train the leaders and they could lead by examplessss, by so doing we could get some of the national cake.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 1:02am On Sep 05, 2007
doyin13:

Give up and make the lingua franca Pidgin grin grin grin

That is totally an option. If Nigerians love pidgin so much, they should make it the official language.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 1:07am On Sep 05, 2007
we are taking a poll, whoever wants the pidgin as official laguage, pls stand upppppppp
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 1:13am On Sep 05, 2007
doyin13:

i think it is a truth that it is a worst state of affear that naija english is in.

doyin you dey form as if na mistake you dey make. no be dat kain tabon make dem sack you last week? grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 1:14am On Sep 05, 2007
debosky, dont start tonite oh, else, i will have to send OPP to ya house, Pally how is Harper and his troops, hope dem RCMP aint making trouble out there.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 1:17am On Sep 05, 2007
ol boy Harper is fine jare, we had lunch together and watched the snow birds perform grin

RCMP? dem dey guard my door right now, no shaking cool
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 1:19am On Sep 05, 2007
I feel you my guy, hard to be back to work after the long weekend, and the liberals in Ontario are proposing a family day for February, so more enz(j)oyment
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 1:24am On Sep 05, 2007
abi oh! I see am for paper, we need a holiday in that long winter man, vote McGuinty! grin grin

back to topic, every poster here should give us their grade in SSCE English before criticising or claiming to speak good grammar grin

oya Rhino you first wink
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 1:26am On Sep 05, 2007
@debosky

no mind that yeye manager

dey use my bad english as excuse angry

e no wan tell anybody say i pipe im wife grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 1:28am On Sep 05, 2007
debosky,  I had to do my english 2ce, First time, i had P7, second time, i had a C5 and i was so happy, they nearly kill cow for me sef. Oya now ur turn, i am sure if it was pdgin, i wuld have had A0.5 better than A1 sef
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 1:35am On Sep 05, 2007
@ doyin, I'm sure you made her speak in pidgin during the action grin grin grin

well for me i got an C5 when i took GCE in SS2 and an A3 in my SSCE, though by then i didnt even need it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Ile-Ife Existed Before Birth Of Jesus Christ - Ooni of Ife / Late Alfred Akawe Torkula Tomb In Pictures / Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.