Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,094 members, 7,835,688 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria (27406 Views)

Igala Language In Anambra State. / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 3:35pm On Sep 05, 2007
some fools here think that knowing English language is being smart!! how many languages can you folks speak apart from English language? it's all about communication and nothing else, it's all about being understood, i don't need to speak like queen Elizabeth to prove my intelligience.

It's only little kids that attach so much importance to their English speaking ability because their sole understanding of being smart is being to able to speak English language (archaic mind set ). And such fools look down on people when they feel they are not up to their own level of spoken English, but they end up being the losers because all they do is "blow grammar" and nothing else

@redsun
i understand your point very well! keep it up
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:41pm On Sep 05, 2007
romeo:

i don't need to speak like queen Elizabeth to prove my intelligience.

Rofl.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 3:51pm On Sep 05, 2007
that's the only thing you saw on my post? big fool you can continue "rolling on the floor laughing" because that's the only thing you lots are capable of
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:54pm On Sep 05, 2007
Lmao.  grin

Irony is funnier than mere typos. cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 3:58pm On Sep 05, 2007
redsun:

@fufuking,i bet you think you are educated,what you have is brainwashed education,from the way you talk as well as some of your comrades on this thread,education without foundation,lack of common sense and ignorant of the basics is just as good as no education.What is the point of education if people can't reason,just like you have in africa,most of those corrupt and thieving politicians are harvard and oxford products yet they are as insecure and unproductive as an abused child.We got to draw our education from our heart and eyes for us for to understand it,see the world in your eyes,it is not too much to ask.Academicians are theorist,they observe,analyze and pass on,theories are not infallable,they are open to alterations. English is the language of england not nigeria,i don't know how long it will take for it to sink into your domant skull,it was use to divide and rule us ,as usual to cause confusion that you have in nigeria today,we should be thinking of reforming our way of life,instead of sinking deeper and deeper into the master,masterplan.You can't teach what you don't know,it is like teaching a child a computer that he or she have not seen before,a common occurence in nigerian schools,imaginative teaching,instead of reality that it is main to be,sadly,the ones abroad still can't work out this simple things,it is like the more you look the less you see.

redsun, my friend. I have stated more than once that Nigeria is under NO OBLIGATION to keep English as its official language. So all that crap you're talking is a moot point. If Nigerians don't like English, remove it from the country. And again, for the millionth time, it is hilarious that you espouse all this garbage while sitting pretty and content in England.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 3:59pm On Sep 05, 2007
romeo:

some fools here think that knowing English language is being smart!! how many languages can you folks speak apart from English language? it's all about communication and nothing else, it's all about being understood, i don't need to speak like queen Elizabeth to prove my intelligience.

It's only little kids that attach so much importance to their English speaking ability because their sole understanding of being smart is being to able to speak English language (archaic mind set ). And such fools look down on people when they feel they are not up to their own level of spoken English, but they end up being the losers because all they do is "blow grammar" and nothing else

@redsun
i understand your point very well! keep it up

LMAO, if anything it is childish to act as if speaking and writing intelligently are BAD things. All you do is stamp, shout, cry and deny. Grow up. And for your info, I can speak two other languages apart from English and I'm studying French.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 4:35pm On Sep 05, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Lmao. grin

Irony is funnier than mere typos. cheesy

a classical example of being stupid

Fufu King:

LMAO, if anything it is childish to act as if speaking and writing intelligently are BAD things. All you do is stamp, shout, cry and deny. Grow up. And for your info, I can speak two other languages apart from English and I'm studying French.

you do speak 2?¿ keep it up! i speak 5 and counting and i understand close to 8 languages and that does not make me special or smart
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 4:42pm On Sep 05, 2007
getting more interesting by post.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:46pm On Sep 05, 2007
Lol, being referred to as being stupid by YOU, kid is comedy at its best.

Carry on though, keep on foaming at the mouth grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 4:51pm On Sep 05, 2007
do you have something else to say about the topic?¿, if not just disappear from this thread, pompous fool
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:58pm On Sep 05, 2007
Hahahahhaha. still foaming there eh?

You sure dont act like a romeo. cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 5:00pm On Sep 05, 2007
@romeo

Sounds like you need a hug bro grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 5:03pm On Sep 05, 2007
doyin13:

@romeo

Sounds like you need a hug bro grin

if the hug is coming from a lady tongue
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:03pm On Sep 05, 2007
Better be careful before he bites you and you too end up with English hating rabies  cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:03pm On Sep 05, 2007
indeed
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 5:18pm On Sep 05, 2007
*ignored* cool cool
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 5:23pm On Sep 05, 2007
@ romeo

no one is saying smartness or intelligence can be measured by the English you speak, all we ask is for people to be able to adequately express themselves in spoken and written English so they can be understood by others. After 15+ years of study in a language, that is not too much to expect. It is not a measure of intelligence, but if you've been learning something for 15 years and still cannot do it properly, there is a grave problem there that needs to be addressed. speaking English properly is by no means an end all be all, but it is an essential tool if your latent intelligence will even be considered - let me give an example:

you are the most qualified architect to design a new building, but giving a presentation to your prospective clients, all they hear is atrocious English and they cannot make head or tail of your talk, do you think such a person will get the job?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:25pm On Sep 05, 2007
A smart person would ignore a person without stating that they are ignoring them else what exactly is the point? grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 5:33pm On Sep 05, 2007
debosky

you be like one of those smart boys wey dey annoy me for sec skl

Una know too much

Because we no sabi speak english una dey show urself

How person go learn english for wafi

Nonsense angry angry angry
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:42pm On Sep 05, 2007
nothing but love for Debo kiss
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2007
hey thief how now smiley you still de owe me o. find de evidence wey i tek vex you and de evidence say i yarn dust against yoruba people or else nairaland grand jury go settle our waka o

and this thread still de halla. hmmmn. anyway sha, i know say anybody wey de read my post go grab wetin i de yarn full time cool b/c person wey no sabi vibrate in pidgin frequency no qualify to answer naijan at all.

i has spoke cool
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:01pm On Sep 05, 2007
I guess I should tell my parents that they arent Nigerian then.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 6:04pm On Sep 05, 2007
no tell them o, dem go wak you slap. my hand no dey o.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 6:15pm On Sep 05, 2007
and u have spoked again. cool
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 6:17pm On Sep 05, 2007
i has spaked again my sister cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 6:28pm On Sep 05, 2007
sweet lord, English has suffered o! it has been hung, drawn and quartered! grin we must go on a national mission to save the English language! FAST! tongue
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 6:30pm On Sep 05, 2007
soulpatrol:

sweet lord, English has suffered o! it has been hung, drawn and quartered! grin we must go on a national mission to save the English language! FAST! tongue

Bloody pedant angry
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 6:36pm On Sep 05, 2007
um, i don't understand ur French o! translate pls.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 6:37pm On Sep 05, 2007
@debo
i do grab your point and i am not against people speaking good english but i am against some folks who think it's all and all

ThiefOfHearts:

A smart person would ignore a person without stating that they are ignoring them else what exactly is the point? grin

ignored again tongue
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 6:38pm On Sep 05, 2007
@soulpatrol

see you

and you dey defend the language

NO wonder dem don assail am from all corners

U no go try google

You remind me of Miss South Carolina sef grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 6:42pm On Sep 05, 2007
@doyin13. ur mouth o. grin na me u dey compare with miss el stupido? at least i get map for my house. or i can simply use "the internets" to access "the google" grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 6:46pm On Sep 05, 2007
soulpatrol:

You're telling me! Sheesh, this pidgin is just grinding, chewing and spitting the English language out. undecided Speaked, spaked. Damn. Illiteracy is a curse.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / Ile-Ife Existed Before Birth Of Jesus Christ - Ooni of Ife / Late Alfred Akawe Torkula Tomb In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.