Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,134 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me (1432 Views)

What Can I Do ? Help Out / Pls What Documents Do You Need For Your Final Year Clearance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by victory36(m): 12:06pm On May 12, 2023
Pls, help me, I don't know what to do . I have been failing all my courses in University despite the fact that I put in all the efforts and do my best. Now I am even too scared to write my exams and have missed several papers . I have tried telling my parents that I am frustrated and want to drop out but they don't seem to understand and are threatening to disown me. I feel so useless, hopeless and I am even thinking about killing myself since I am a disgrace to my family. I don't know who to talk to, pls help.

2 Likes

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Nobody: 12:08pm On May 12, 2023
What course are you studying?
Are you into drugs?
What do you intend doing if you drop out?

1 Like

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Adasun(m): 12:08pm On May 12, 2023
Paper should not determine your destiny...

I read well too, but sometimes I see my results when,I feel not satisfied...

Just try and pass ,no too give urself too much expectations OK.

1 Like

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by victory36(m): 12:26pm On May 12, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
What course are you studying?
Are you into drugs?
What do you intend doing if you drop out?
chemical engineering in uniben . No, I am not into drugs. Learning a trade, which was what I wanted to do before I was forced to school.

2 Likes

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Nobody: 12:29pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:
chemical engineering in uniben . No, I am not into drugs
Maybe you are naturally an art student but forced yourself into science and obviously you can't cope with sciences. You should have gone for arts and study courses like Law, accounting, sociology, business or public administration and others and you won't have been experiencing all these now. How old are you? You can still be very successful in trade even way more than those with the degrees but however I'll advise you go for courses that align with your interest (trade)

5 Likes

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Reminderz: 12:35pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:
chemical engineering in uniben . No, I am not into drugs. Learning a trade, which was what I wanted to do before I was forced to school.
this is why many students like you end up miserable, especially in this African part of the world... "I went to school because of may parents", "I went to school because I didn't know what to do", "I went to school to belong", "I went to school because others are going to school", many people don't know what schooling means and are going to school for the wrong reasons.. this is why when they pass out and things didn't work out the way they imagined, they end up miserable while blaming themselves, the government or their parents...

see bro, it's obvious maybe you're not even well affixed to that course you're studying.. you might not even understand a thing the lecturer is saying to you because it will sound like jargons to you... in more open world, you would be studied and left to do what you're naturally inclined to do.. if Messi has being forced to leave football for school, no one would have known him today, he would have become miserable... and so many other cases like that...

I don't know what level you're in but at this point that you're still living with your parents, it will be very difficult for you due to some of the reasons you've said... you can't do away with them and you can't avoid them.. If you can keep pushing I will advice you, but find time to find a passion you're generally inclined with and start something.. these days you don't even need to depend on school before you can make money or find something you're good with. everyone is not the same, and this is the mistake most parents are making.. you were forced to do a course you don't even like, it's just like an art student forced to study medicine...

and I don't know if your parents are approachable, you can talk to them on the kind of course you really want to study, that's if you haven't gone far, so you can start again... I hope you don't end up frustrated so as to not have suicide thoughts...
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by youngsahito(m): 12:39pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:

Pls, help me, I don't know what to do . I have been failing all my courses in University despite the fact that I put in all the efforts and do my best. Now I am even too scared to write my exams and have missed several papers . I have tried telling my parents that I am frustrated and want to drop out but they don't seem to understand and are threatening to disown me. I feel so useless, hopeless and I am even thinking about killing myself since I am a disgrace to my family. I don't know who to talk to, pls help.
why not cross to an art department or a department that understand very well so as not to waste ur admission.
Meanwhile, you can learn ur trade while you are on break.

2 Likes

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:

What level are you in?

If you want to change course you'll have to go back to a lower level and being in uniben can make you susceptible to strike which can take more years of your life and may affect you when it's time for you to do youth service.

The course I studied isnt necessarily what I'm doing right now because labour market dosent really care about your grade or the course you studied..its a matter of the service you can offer at the moment

Just try and finish then focus on what you truly love

2 Likes

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by victory36(m): 12:51pm On May 12, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
Maybe you are naturally an art student but forced yourself into science and obviously you can't cope with sciences. You should have gone for arts and study courses like Law, accounting, sociology, business or public administration and others and you won't have been experiencing all these now. How old are you? You can still be very successful in trade even way more than those with the degrees but however I'll advise you go for courses that align with your interest (trade)
I'm 21 and in 400l but with so many carry over courses and also in borderline probation
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by victory36(m): 12:53pm On May 12, 2023
Reminderz:

this is why many students like you end up miserable, especially in this African part of the world... "I went to school because of may parents", "I went to school because I didn't know what to do", "I went to school to belong", "I went to school because others are going to school", many people don't know what schooling means and are going to school for the wrong reasons.. this is why when they pass out and things didn't work out the way they imagined, they end up miserable while blaming themselves, the government or their parents...

see bro, it's obvious maybe you're not even well affixed to that course you're studying.. you might not even understand a thing the lecturer is saying to you because it will sound like jargons to you... in more open world, you would be studied and left to do what you're naturally inclined to do.. if Messi has being forced to leave football for school, no one would have known him today, he would have become miserable... and so many other cases like that...

I don't know what level you're in but at this point that you're still living with your parents, it will be very difficult for you due to some of the reasons you've said... you can't do away with them and you can't avoid them.. If you can keep pushing I will advice you, but find time to find a passion you're generally inclined with and start something.. these days you don't even need to depend on school before you can make money or find something you're good with. everyone is not the same, and this is the mistake most parents are making.. you were forced to do a course you don't even like, it's just like an art student forced to study medicine...

and I don't know if your parents are approachable, you can talk to them on the kind of course you really want to study, that's if you haven't gone far, so you can start again... I hope you don't end up frustrated so as to not have suicide thoughts...
Thanks
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Nobody: 12:53pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:
I'm 21 and in 400l but with so many carry over courses and also in borderline probation
You are still very young as a man, you can still fix your life. Is it possible you learn your trade while you opt for one of those cheap courses I mentioned above?

2 Likes

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by victory36(m): 1:04pm On May 12, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
You are still very young as a man, you can still fix your life. Is it possible you learn your trade while you opt for one of those cheap courses I mentioned above?
Yes, I can learn the trade but I don't think I can change courses at this level.
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:
Yes, I can learn the trade but I don't think I can change courses at this level.
How long will it take you to clear those carry overs? Calculate the years and also the years it'll take you to go for a new course that you can make a better grade from and still have that time to learn your trade. Brainstorm and take the right decision

1 Like

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Sweetvie: 1:08pm On May 12, 2023
This happened when you're forced to study a course you have no interest in...
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Geovanni412(m): 1:11pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:

Op, what exactly is the issue?

Is it lack of interest or memory issues.

If it is lack of interest, you need to change course

If it is memory, there are a number of books and techniques you can apply. GEt yourself a book by Dominic O'Brien and apply the strategies there.

I used the strategies in the said book to get a first class in Law. The most important concept other than memory strategies discussed in the book is the concept of spaced repetition. Read a topic, revise the next day, 1 week later and one month later.

Also, if it is memory issues, watch videos by Ali Abdaal on notetaking and memory strategies.

I used his notemaking strategy and anki flash cards to pass law school. Ali's technique involves taking notes by asking questions instead of copying the text verbatim.

Anki flashcards is a bit different. You'll need to watch specific videos on how to use it. If it interests you, let me know and I can guide you a bit on that.

If you combine memory strategies, taking notes as questions, spaced repetition and anki flashcards - provided that you understand the topic and the nature of questions typically asked in exams, you will do just fine.

Feel free to DM me if you are confused about anything I posted.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by victory36(m): 1:19pm On May 12, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
How long will it take you to clear those carry overs? Calculate the years and also the years it'll take you to go for a new course that you can make a better grade from and still have that time to learn your trade. Brainstorm and take the right decision
Thank you ma.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by victory36(m): 1:21pm On May 12, 2023
Geovanni412:

If it is memory, there are a number of books and techniques you can apply. GEt yourself a book by Dominic O'Brien and apply the strategies there.

I used the strategies in the said book to get a first class in Law. The most important concept other than memory strategies discussed in the book in the concept of spaced repetition. Read a topic, revise the next day, 1 week later and one month later.

Also, if it is memory issues, watch videos by Ali Abdaal on notetaking and memory strategies.

I used his notemaking strategy and anki flash cards to pass law school. Ali's technique involves taking notes by asking questions instead of copying the text verbatim.

Anki flashcards is a bit different. You'll need to watch specific videos on how to use it. If it interests you, let me know and I can guide you a bit on that.

If you combine memory strategies, taking notes as questions, spaced repetition and anki flashcards - provided that you understand the topic and the nature of questions typically asked in exams, you will do just fine.

Thanks.
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:
Thank you ma.
You are welcome my son
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Nemesis0147(m): 1:41pm On May 12, 2023
If you have money…go to the head of your ICT and exams and record…. They will wipe your carry over for you but na money and risk 50/50 chance to get the right plug

NB:not your regular kind of advice.😁

2 Likes

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Obnoxious2001(m): 2:47pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:

Op calm down, am not in your shpe but i share a similar fate with you. Am a fuprite studying marine engineering i just graduated but have extension.

Your fear is likely your cgpa and how much time you will spend extra to conclude your program. I will advice you dwell more on things you can control (read and pray but have in mind that grades are awarded based on the lecturer perception of who you are)

Since you are learning a trade (am also learning electrical and solar system installation ) i understand its very difficult to work and learn in Nigeria tertiary institution this i have experienced. So mitigate your loss and develop your strength ( by the time am don with my extension i am planning on taking a professional exam in electrical engineering to switch field. If you graduate with a 3rd class you can take a pgd program to upgrade your status and do masters that's if you wish....
But dont let the CGPA haunt you (in school, its expected that everyone cannot pass personally am yet to understand the rationale behind this but well.....)

But no matter what you do, do not drop out!!!
Unrelated, i will be in your school hopefully by next month we have a job to execute at hall 6 side i will like us to meet up

2 Likes

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Obnoxious2001(m): 2:51pm On May 12, 2023
Geovanni412:

I used the strategies in the said book to get a first class in Law. The most important concept other than memory strategies discussed in the book in the concept of spaced repetition. Read a topic, revise the next day, 1 week later and one month later.

Please can you provide the title of the book
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Karleb(m): 3:20pm On May 12, 2023
You lied when you said you put in your best.
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by JONSYN7154: 3:22pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:

My dear friend you're not a disgrace to your family.

Passing exam in school is very easy if only you'll follow what I'm going to tell you.

A lot of students take assignments and test for granted and don't write it not knowing that both the test and the assignments is 40% and exam is 60%.

If you can score lest say 25% or 30% in both assignments and test you only need 30% and above to pass the exam.

Some lectures take attendance with has its own score.

Do this and you'll pass your exams and you'll stand tall to dignify God.
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by JONSYN7154: 3:27pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:
I read chemical engineering too. Just read what I highlighted and you'll see yourself passing your exams
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by frozen70(f): 3:27pm On May 12, 2023
victory36:

You are yet to tell us the exact problem with you

Is it that you are not serious with your studies

Or you are tired of reading and schooling

Or you have joined bad gang

Or you don't have any future plans for yourself

Let us know where the problem is so that we can suggest positive ways of dealing with it

Meaning she don't put your family to shame
Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by Geovanni412(m): 5:38pm On May 12, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

Please can you provide the title of the book

The book is How to Develop A Perfect Memory By Dominic O' Brien. You can get it from libgen, pdfdrive, scribd for free.

I used it to develop a system to memorise years for case laws.

I also used the concept of mind maps but the most important concepts to learn are:

(i) spaced repetition.

(ii) Using questions as note- taking.

(iii) Pomodoro technique for time mgmt. Example : Read 20 mins and take break of 5 mins or read 1 hr and take break of 20 mins.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Pls, What Should I Do? Help Me by nicerod(m): 8:17pm On May 12, 2023
Gather money to write jamb and chose ur desired course.

Or let your school counselor know about ur problem

Try and let your family members know about your problems

(1) (Reply)

Chair Lady Of Sex Workers Denounced Prostitution / Love's Moments / Hey Dis Is 4 The Ladies In The House (and The Men If They Are Interested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.