Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,111 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s (14418 Views)

Apple Launches Iphone 6S With Better Camera And Improved Multitasking / Apple Launches The World's Thinnest Tablet-ipad Air 2 / Apple Launches Iphone 6 Plus And Iphone 6 - "The Best Phones Ever Made" Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by coogar: 1:49pm On Oct 05, 2011
norrisman:

Please tell me you are joking! There are many native and market android apps that do the things you listed above and more! LWKMD

can you list those phones and what the apps are called?

tboy1:

Only thing i thought would be added was ability to use hdmi cables directly instead of using the Apple Digital AV Adapter. IMO Siri & the 1080p HD video recording are definitely the best features on the iPhone 4S

i am so excited and thrilled by siri!
maybe i should do the queue thing on the launch date on oxford circus. grin
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 05, 2011
@ coogar.
Yes I could compose messages using the Google's voice search. Go check vids on YT .
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by lynxnoon(m): 1:53pm On Oct 05, 2011
baslone:

It's not hating! It's a fact!

Siri, Optics, Memory- What else?

Better wait for iphone 5!
after that?.  .  .  .  
then satrt waiting for iphone 5?
pls!!! all these is just market strategy
imo.  .  .  use wat works for u.  .  SIMPLE!!!
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by lynxnoon(m): 1:55pm On Oct 05, 2011
lynxnoon:

after that?.  .  .  .  
then satrt waiting for iphone 5?
then start waiting for iphone 6?
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 05, 2011
iphone's os and simplicity keeps it above the rest,

for those really interested in performance and 'freedom' on a machine (e.g transferring music through bluetooth, do android especially s2,

No phone compares right now,

Stop reading apple biased reviews,
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by coogar: 2:21pm On Oct 05, 2011
musKeeto:

iphone's os and simplicity keeps it above the rest,

for those really interested in performance and 'freedom' on a machine (e.g transferring music through bluetooth, do android especially s2,

No phone compares right now,

Stop reading apple biased reviews,

not only the os!
apple's music store and the apps store keep their products above the rest.
with 1 billion apps and a billion songs in store - apple is number one!
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 05, 2011
coogar:

not only the os!
apple's music store and the apps store keep their products above the rest.
with 1 billion apps and a billion songs in store - apple is number one!

1 billion is just a number. How many are actually useful?
How many of them are used frequently?

The top apps on IOS also have a similar version on android.

If e like make e reach 4 billion apps, only a handful of them are actually downloaded or even paid for,
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 05, 2011
Hahaaa, about a billion songs?

Menh, you need to slow down on the Apple hype,

We're talking about PHONE capabilities not MUSIC PLAYER capabilities,
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by coogar: 2:30pm On Oct 05, 2011
musKeeto:

about a billion songs.
apple have a store in virtually every country now.
take a stroll on the stores from iraq to malaysia to australia to brazil to kenya.
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by kemmeye: 2:47pm On Oct 05, 2011
rubbish no wonder their useless stocks went down.
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by debosky(m): 3:02pm On Oct 05, 2011
Apple get Iraq itunes store? cheesy

Abeg sign me up. grin grin
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by tboy1(m): 3:09pm On Oct 05, 2011
Lol @ Android and RIM fans always trolling whenever a new apple product is released.

coogar:

can you list those phones and what the apps are called?

i am so excited and thrilled by siri!
maybe i should do the queue thing on the launch date on oxford circus. grin

Dont try it unless you are willing to camp overnight  grin Also dont bother with Oxford street because everyone will end up queuing there, apple store in westfield stratford or covent garden might be you best choice if you want to queue up or your speak to your network provider if they will receive it on the release date - less queue there
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by tboy1(m): 3:15pm On Oct 05, 2011
musKeeto:

Do you know HTC sensation XE is marketing their phone as an audiophile's phone?? Beats By Dr. Dre my azz grin
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 05, 2011
dont give a FnCK about I-phones,my androids do stuff i need done and i dont pay for no app.even the trial ones are basically free
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 05, 2011
That's HTC not Android, Beats By Dre your ass, grin
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 05, 2011
and what do i need a billion songs for.the over 3k songs on my phone don tire me right about now
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 05, 2011
dont get me wrong,the flooding of the mkt with huwei ascend android phones and some other low quality android phones also shows the negative side of low quality but use one of the top shelfs android phones and u will do like i did,sell my iphone
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2011
No mind them, Na to quote numbers wey no concern anybody, very soon na how many buttons dey Iphone keyboard we go dey compare, mscheeew
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 05, 2011
milehigh06:

dont get me wrong,the flooding of the mkt with huwei ascend android phones and some other low quality android phones also shows the negative side of low quality but use one of the top shelfs android phones and u will do like i did,sell my iphone
Very true.
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by tboy1(m): 3:27pm On Oct 05, 2011
musKeeto:

That's HTC not Android,  Beats By Dre your Bottom,  grin

Android = HTC
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by kemmeye: 3:28pm On Oct 05, 2011
tboy1:

Android = HTC

lol ikr hahahaha
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by coogar: 3:30pm On Oct 05, 2011
musKeeto:

That's HTC not Android, Beats By Dre your Bottom, grin

bush man, htc is android!

debosky:

Apple get Iraq itunes store? cheesy

Abeg sign me up. grin grin

i strongly recommend yemen, niger and brunei darussalam!
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Djcn: 3:44pm On Oct 05, 2011
Apple has always maintained first place in terms of leading innovation.
If After 8 months of the Samsung galaxy SII announcement and apple is coming out with this then, it totally unimpressive.
I strongly suggest that you wait for iphone 5.

East Asia is really taking America to the cleaners.
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by coogar: 3:52pm On Oct 05, 2011
Djcn:

Apple has always maintained first place in terms of leading innovation.
If After 8 months of the Samsung galaxy SII announcement and apple is coming out with this then, it totally unimpressive.
I strongly suggest that you wait for iphone 5.

East Asia is really taking America to the cleaners.

of course, this is why investors were disappointed last night.
everyone thought we would be seeing the last device steve job had overseen but apple are rogues as usual.
they did the same thing with iphone 3g and the 3gs before releasing iphone 4.

iphone 5 is the messiah, this is the john the baptist.
anyone using an iphone4 currently should not buy the iphone 4s, cos the difference is internal, not external.
but if you have never owned iphone 4, then this is for you!
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 05, 2011
Apple is not going to get my money yet!
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 05, 2011
coogar:

bush man, htc is android!

i strongly recommend yemen, niger and brunei darussalam!

When you call someone bush, you make you're not saying that from inside a cave.

Pure Android OS- Nexus S
With TouchWiz - Samsung
Withs Sense UI - HTC

Android is the OS, HTC's the manufacture

The Beats By Dre is not a Google partnership, but a HTC partnership,

Oya, monkey, hide ya sef
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by AfroBlue(m): 4:01pm On Oct 05, 2011
[b]IPhone Gets Its Upgrade, All Under the Hood

By NICK WINGFIELD

CUPERTINO, Calif. — Apple introduced its long-awaited new iPhone on Tuesday. But it wasn’t an iPhone 5. That will have to wait.

Instead, the company unveiled something that looks an awful lot like an iPhone 4 on the outside, with an innovative feature that turns the device into a voice-activated mobile assistant for scheduling appointments and performing other tasks.

It’s a measure of how Apple has habituated its legions of fans to regular, eye-catching design changes that the news about the latest version of the iPhone qualified as a disappointment for some. Grumbling about the announcement of the new phone, the iPhone 4S, spread on Twitter throughout the day and the company’s shares fell as much as 5 percent, though they regained most of those losses by the end of trading.

“At the end of the day, there are still going to be long lines for this,” said Gene Munster, an analyst at Piper Jaffray. “They could have been even longer if they’d changed the hardware more.”

The new model of the iPhone, which will go on sale Oct. 14, with preorders starting Friday, is virtually indistinguishable from its predecessor on the outside. But beneath its skin Apple made big changes, packing it with a better camera that shoots crisper pictures and video. The device also includes a more powerful chip, the A5, the same microprocessor that is the brains of the iPad, for producing better graphics and other improvements.

Timothy D. Cook, Apple’s chief executive, presided over the event just as Steven P. Jobs had on similar occasions before he left the top job in August. Mr. Cook said that although the iPhone 4 is the best-selling smartphone in the world, Apple believes that the company still has plenty of people it wants to convert.

“We believe over time all handsets become smartphones,” he said. “This market is 1.5 billion units annually. It’s an enormous opportunity for Apple.”

Mr. Cook and other Apple executives also highlighted an array of supporting products for the new phone, but the centerpiece of the presentation, and of the new device, is the “virtual assistant” feature, Siri, named after a company Apple acquired last year that originally developed the technology. While the iPhone 4 already responds to some basic voice commands — to make phone calls, for example — Siri is designed to comprehend a much broader range of instructions in natural language.

For example, Apple executives demonstrated the technology by asking an iPhone, “Do I need a raincoat today?” to which the device responded, “It sure looks like rain today.”

While Apple’s decision not to call its new phone the iPhone 5, as many expected, raised some eyebrows, it has some precedent. A couple of years ago the company introduced the iPhone 3GS, which made modest improvements over the iPhone 3G. Michael Mace, the chief executive of a mobile application start-up and a former Apple and Palm executive, said Apple most likely wanted to telegraph that the iPhone 4S was an incremental change to the product, rather than a big redesign denoted by a change in the model number.

“You don’t want to oversell what you’re doing so you hurt your credibility,” Mr. Mace said.

Even incremental changes to the iPhone can help sales. Mr. Munster of Piper Jaffray said the annual growth rate in the number of iPhones that Apple sold during the fiscal year the iPhone 3GS was introduced was 93 percent, compared with 78 percent when the iPhone 3G came out.

With the new phone, Apple is taking on a growing challenge in the mobile market from the Android operating system made by Google. Smartphones powered by Android now outsell iPhones by more than two to one. While Android phones also let people use basic voice commands to do simple tasks, Apple is betting that the more sophisticated capabilities of Siri will make it stand out.

Many of the best minds in technology in the last several decades have been stymied by how to decipher speech, given variations in how people talk. Mr. Mace called what Apple is doing the “holy grail” for mobile devices; voice recognition could make it much easier for people to use them on the go without having to peck words into a keyboard. But he said the technology needed to be accurate or users would ignore it.

“When you start talking to a computer you expect it to really understand you, and if it doesn’t, you get really frustrated,” he said. “If Siri is like that, forget about it.”

Using Siri, the phone can set an alarm clock with the command “Wake me up tomorrow at 6 a.m.” or provide a stock market quote if a user asks, “How’s the Nasdaq doing today?” The command “Remind me to call my wife when I leave work” will result in such a reminder on the phone, requiring a user to identify the geographic boundaries of their office on the device through its location technology.

In some ways, Siri is reminiscent of Hal 9000, the intelligent computer system in the film “2001: A Space Odyssey,” though the iPhone presumably won’t be able to turn on its users the way its fictional counterpart did. In one demonstration, Apple’s senior vice president, Scott Forstall, asked Siri, “Who are you?”

“I am a humble personal assistant,” the phone responded, in an awkward synthesized voice.

While the new iPhone was the headliner at the event, held at the company’s headquarters in Silicon Valley, the executives spent nearly as much time showcasing new features in an array of supporting products, including iCloud, which allows users of Apple mobile products to automatically back up from and synchronize information between devices.

Prices for the iPhone 4S start at $199 for a model with 16 gigabytes of storage. Apple will continue to sell its older iPhone 4 through its wireless carrier partners, which will drop the price to $99 from $199 when customers commit to a two-year contract. An older model, the iPhone 3GS, will be free, instead of $49, with a two-year contract.

The new phone will be available on the AT&T, Verizon and Sprint networks and will also work internationally.

The event was a closely watched debut for Mr. Cook. Mr. Jobs was a master pitchman for Apple’s products, captivating audiences with introductions that seemed off the cuff but were always meticulously rehearsed. Mr. Jobs, the company’s founder, left for health reasons and became chairman of Apple’s board.

“It’s impossible to replace Steve Jobs, and you could feel that in the energy level in the room,” said Mr. Munster, though he said Mr. Cook “did an excellent job.”

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: October 4, 2011

An earlier version of this article misstated the previous price of the iPhone 3GS. It had been $49 (from AT&T), not $99. Because of an editing error, the article also misstated the day of the Apple announcement. It was Tuesday, not Wednesday. [/b]
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by coogar: 4:08pm On Oct 05, 2011
musKeeto:

When you call someone bush, you make you're not saying that from inside a cave.

Pure Android OS- Nexus S
With TouchWiz - Samsung
Withs Sense UI - HTC

Android is the OS, HTC's the manufacture
The Beats By Dre is not a Google partnership, but a HTC partnership,
Oya, monkey, hide ya sef

stop embarrassing yourself on a public forum with your gibberish!

htc dream was the first commercially available phone to run android as far back as 3 yrs ago.
early last year, google cojoined with htc to launch the nexus one which was followed later that year with samsung-made nexus s

now, concentrate! htc was the first commercial phone to use the android operating system on their phone!
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 05, 2011
So Google had the partnership with BEATS by DRE, .monkey no go gree say the banana too high
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by coogar: 4:19pm On Oct 05, 2011
musKeeto:

So Google had the partnership with BEATS by DRE, .monkey no go gree say the banana too high

where in coogar's comment did i mention beats by dre?

i only attacked your stance that htc is not android, they used the operating system before google dreamt of it.
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 05, 2011
Ok, na me be Bush man
HTC = ANDROID
HP = WINDOWS
DELL = WINOWS

Mugu,
Re: Apple Launches The New Iphone 4s by Konjour(m): 4:26pm On Oct 05, 2011
Wanna buy a phone that'll be out of style in a number of months,buy the Iphone 4S. They did it with the Iphone 3G and 3GS too.

Its not another marketing ploy to milk the public as much as possible to hype up the Iphone 5 further.

Reports even suggested that Apple stocks fell a bit cuz people were expecting a 5 and not an upgraded 4 but i think they'd more than

be compensated by the time 5 drops. Perhaps,they should have made a cheaper version of the Iphone 4 instead,as they did with the Iphone 3G.

Think i'll rather wait till the Iphone 5 is out before deciding to visit my bank or not. BTW The Jury is still out on how Apple products would fare

in the market without the Steve Jobs effect. Personally,his presentation was actually the main inspiration behind my interest in buying their

products,and i don't think it'd be the same without him being there. I foresee a drop in Apple prices in the long term. Time will prove me right or

wrong though. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Your Bad Experience At Computer Village Ikeja / Gionee M3 Discussions,problems And Solutions. / A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.