Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,331 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? (25658 Views)

Counter-Thread: Married Women With No/ Low Source Of Income, How Are You Coping? / How Are You Coping With The Current Economic Situation? / Married Men With No/ Low Source Of Income, How Are You Coping? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Nasri100(m): 5:51pm On Jul 10, 2023
FROGMAN101:

PLEASE ADD ONE TO MAKE IT SIX 🙏

HAHA Werey grin grin grin
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by WeirdAlien: 5:55pm On Jul 10, 2023
There was a time civil servants could afford tear rubber latest Toyota or Peugeot in this country. No stealing. Just pay your car loan over 2-4 years conveniently with like 20% of your monthly salary. Those vehicles worth over N20m today.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by atheistandproud(m): 5:55pm On Jul 10, 2023
Angelfrost:

As at today, the Middle Class of the 90s and early 2000s is GONE!!!

Do you know what it means for a nation to lose its middle class?!! Can you begin to imagine the impact it will have on small and medium scale businesses?!!

This nation is heading to a very dangerous place!!!

You're always a wise man.

The middle class in areas in my city has been obliterated into oblivion. Many people don't understand the magnitude of the trouble we're in. All the middle class neighborhood that I grew up in and frequented in the late 90s up till the late 2000s are now fragmented into single rooms and bedsitters. 3 bedroom bungalows don turn barracks. Well kept estates don turn barracks and I weep. I have a deep pain in my heart Angel Frost when I see these places.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Georgejeez: 5:57pm On Jul 10, 2023
Ahmed0336:
No do pass yourself.
[/b]One must not marry from a rich family.[b]
Look for a noble family and marry from there.
If the lady is a hustler, bring her to the city, secure a loan then give it to her to start a business.
Get and affordable house maybe room and parlour.
Don't give birth to more than two.
In summary no do pass yourself if your monthly income is less than 100k in this present economy.

Please throw more light on the bolded

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Angelfrost(m): 5:59pm On Jul 10, 2023
atheistandproud:

You're always a wise man.

The middle class in areas in my city has been obliterated into oblivion. Many people don't understand the magnitude of the trouble we're in. All the middle class neighborhood that I grew up in and frequented in the late 90s up till the late 2000s are not fragmented into single rooms and bedsitters. 3 bedroom bungalows don turn barracks. Well kept estates don turn barracks and I weep. I have a deep pain in my heart Angel Frost when I see these places.

You see my point...! These Middle-Class members are supposed to be the main consumers and patronizers of local businesses! If they are declining into poverty at such a massive rate, begin to imagine the fate of most small and medium-scale businesses going forward!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by BadEnglish(m): 6:01pm On Jul 10, 2023
we are living Perfectly fine, the grace of God has got us covered.

2 Likes

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by atheistandproud(m): 6:02pm On Jul 10, 2023
Georgejeez:

That guy think say na only girls from rich families 😂😂😂

Bro, even girl wey e mama dey well rice and e papa na drunk, wey na only secondary school she go dey say she cannot marry person wey e salary na 100k.

😂😂😂😂
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:02pm On Jul 10, 2023
atheistandproud:

Nah...

There's always been inflation. I grew up to use 50kobo coins bro. I was given 50kobo and 1 Naira coins to primary school. I watched as they disappeared and inflation took us up to N5 and N10 notes. All of this happened before 2003 and there was a lot of complaining but people still happily got married.

Right now, N50 is almost worthless. It cannot even buy common pencil again. Na only purewater and that's because it's at N30.

I see no reason why a man who earns N100k regularly cannot get married and live in a simple room and parlour self contain if he sets aside 10 to 15k monthly for rent (depending on the area). Buys foodstuffs in bulk and cuts down on unnecessary expenses.

But to many women this kind of lifestyle is beneath them.
Yea I know
But lemme ask you a question, how much was the average salary then, when you could spend 50kobo and 1 naira to get breakfast and lunch?

They are reluctant to review salaries. It is long overdue. That's why this level of hardship imposed by GOVT is ruthlessly biting almost everyone in a furious manner.
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Nasri100(m): 6:04pm On Jul 10, 2023
Georgejeez:

Bro the thing off me when i read that grin grin grin grin
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Blitzking: 6:05pm On Jul 10, 2023
Zigzagman:

abegi, just forget dat private school mata. e get one of my yard people wey go find work for private school last month. Na 17,000 dem wan pay am to teach 4 subjects. 17,000 o grin grin grin grin
Haa the amount I use to cook soup and stew as a bachelor for 3 weeks

1 Like

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by atheistandproud(m): 6:07pm On Jul 10, 2023
Angelfrost:

You see my point...! These Middle-Class members are supposed to be the main consumers and patronizers of local businesses! If they are declining into poverty at such a massive rate, begin to imagine the fate of most small and medium-scale businesses going forward!

The informal economy which makes up, dare I say over 70% of all business transactions in this country is running on fumes (credit).

Why? Because the rich don't spend here. It's the middle class that did. The middle class are the ones that spread the wealth around. I remember all the shops that sprang up around and outside our estate because of the people inside. Provision stores thrived, barbing salons, arcades, convenience and utility stores etc. These businesses are all dead as we speak and the buildings lie empty.

Our economy is dying. The death of the thriving middle class in the late 2000s is a harbinger of doom that should have us quaking in our boots.

6 Likes

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:07pm On Jul 10, 2023
WeirdAlien:
There was a time civil servants could afford tear rubber latest Toyota or Peugeot in this country. No stealing. Just pay your car loan over 2-4 years conveniently with like 20% of your monthly salary. Those vehicles worth over N20m today.
In a nutshell NIGERIA has retrogressed

1 Like

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Sharpsharp00123: 6:09pm On Jul 10, 2023
Angelfrost:

Over 90 percent of Nigerians will never abide by these words!

This is just the problem... Nigerians will never learn to cut their coats to the material available.

I'm still shocked that young couples still bear several children today even when they clearly lack the resources to raise them... So, who are they birthing those innocent kids for?! Is there a welfare system in place?!

A couple squatting in a semi-completed building belonging to a relative just had their third child... The older ones barely eat, and are always dressed in rags.

So, it's really terrible that our economy is in tatters... Still, the main problem is that most Nigerians are financially irresponsible!

Even as a young child growing up back then, I have always struggled to understand why most Nigerians spend so frivolously and unwisely!
many Nigerians want to live above their means n they don’t want to cut their coat according to their size

I have stopped discussing money issue here cos I see majority of them as unreasonable

How can a bachelor tell us he’s earning 450k per month n it’s not enough n some foolish people will start blaming d economy

Even if u are living in v.I as a bachelor earning 450k per month u should b able to live reasonably

Another mugu posted it here that he’s earning 250k n has 2 kids n his kids drank garri to bed

It’s just annoying cos I know people who are earning 150k with family n they are fine

Even an okada man with 4 children n a wife have built house n he’s okay but many people here will make 500k look like 5 naira

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Angelfrost(m): 6:09pm On Jul 10, 2023
atheistandproud:

The informal economy which makes us dare I say over 70k of all business transactions in this country is running on fumes (credit).

Why? Because the rich don't spend here. It's the middle class that did. The middle class are the ones that spread the wealth around. I remember all the shops that sprang up around and outside our estate because of the people inside. Provision stores thrived, barbing salons, arcades, convenience and utility stores etc. These businesses are all dead as we speak and the buildings lie empty.

Our economy is dying. The death of the thriving middle class in the late 2000s is a harbinger of doom that should have us quaking in our boots.

You have said it all... The economy is almost in the grave! And sycophants are still throwing insults and defending clueless leaders!

2 Likes

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Moniya4Real(m): 6:11pm On Jul 10, 2023
Sit down there. Most of them are millionaires, I know like three civil servants whose basic salaries are nothing to write home about but they are living large.. traveling overseas and building houses and owning choice properties all around the country. To root out corruption in Nigeria is a mirage !

Dimaya:
I am writing this post in response to my initial post that made front page yesterday in which a lady said she won't get pregnant until her husband starts earning over 200K

See here:
https://www.nairaland.com/7729988/girl-wont-get-pregnant-husband/

People's reactions got me thinking heavily because nobody addressed the obvious elephant in the room:

unreasonable civil service salaries

In the original post's video, it was established that Nigerian civil servants starting out with a degree ( level 8 ) earn an average of 75K monthly.

And it takes as much as 15-20 years before they can earn close to 200K monthly.

With the current high cost of living (particularly food, transportation and housing), it seems the government doesn't expect civil servants to be able to support their families on their salaries.

This begs the question: does the Nigerian government pay enough for civil servants to get married?

And also, if you're a married civil servant earning less than 100K, how on earth are you able to meet your obligations today?

How?

the video referenced in the previous post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t66DkQl0j50
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Aurelius1(m): 6:11pm On Jul 10, 2023
Angelfrost:

It's a very shocking and rude awakening...!

It's hard to believe a nation can degenerate this badly in just 8 years!
All those who voted for Tinubu should clap for themselves.
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:12pm On Jul 10, 2023
atheistandproud:

The informal economy which makes us dare I say over 70k of all business transactions in this country is running on fumes (credit).

All these unpatriotic leaders and his fellow bourgeoisie elite cronies are destroying the economy of this country by spending scarce resources that were brazenly looted from our common wealth in other countries.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by atheistandproud(m): 6:12pm On Jul 10, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Yea I know
But lemme ask you a question, how much was the average salary then, when you could spend 50kobo and 1 naira to get breakfast and lunch?

They are reluctant to review salaries. It is long overdue. That's why this level of hardship imposed by GOVT is ruthlessly biting almost everyone in a furious manner.

To be honest, I can't really recall what salaries were back them

Salaries are one thing but our collective greed is compounding issues.
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Angelfrost(m): 6:13pm On Jul 10, 2023
Sharpsharp00123:
many Nigerians want to live above their means n they don’t want to cut their coat according to their size

I have stopped discussing money issue here cos I see majority of them as unreasonable

How can a bachelor tell us he’s earning 450k per month n it’s not enough n some foolish people will start blaming d economy

Even if u are living in v.I as a bachelor earning 450k per month u should b able to live reasonably

Another mugu posted it here that he’s earning 250k n has 2 kids n his kids drank garri to bed

It’s just annoying cos I know people who are earning 150k with family n they are fine

Even an okada man with 4 children n a wife have built house n he’s okay but many people here will make 500k look like 5 naira

Trust me, most of those claims here are totally false!

Over 80% of registered and active Nairaland members today are kids and youths! Sometimes, I just indulge them!

The one claiming he is earning 450k has never seen 100k in his young life! Believe that!

Sadly, this is what social media has become (Facebook, Instagram, etc). People just come to paint pictures that are far from real, deceiving others to become dissatisfied with their comfortable incomes and start thinking of stealing.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Gage1: 6:14pm On Jul 10, 2023
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Aurelius1(m): 6:16pm On Jul 10, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Yea I know

Government can review salaries but the private sector may find it hard to do that. With the recent increase in the price of fuel a lot of businesses are running at a deficit. Most are even on the verge of shutting down.
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Sharpsharp00123: 6:17pm On Jul 10, 2023
atheistandproud:

Nah...

There's always been inflation. I grew up to use 50kobo coins bro. I was given 50kobo and 1 Naira coins to primary school. I watched as they disappeared and inflation took us up to N5 and N10 notes. All of this happened before 2003 and there was a lot of complaining but people still happily got married.

Right now, N50 is almost worthless. It cannot even buy common pencil again. Na only purewater and that's because it's at N30.

I see no reason why a man who earns N100k regularly cannot get married and live in a simple room and parlour self contain if he sets aside 10 to 15k monthly for rent (depending on the area). Buys foodstuffs in bulk and cuts down on unnecessary expenses.

But to many women this kind of lifestyle is beneath them.
don’t mind them, I make around 180 monthly on an average as a bachelor n I dey use my head well well n I pray to grow more with time but many of them will come here n present it as if, if u are earning 500k u are doomed

I believe those who say that are those who live n spend to impress

5 Likes

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Angelfrost(m): 6:17pm On Jul 10, 2023
Aurelius1:
All those who voted for Tinubu should clap for themselves.

I honestly won't be too quick to start blaming Tinubu... Even the best amongst them would have started on the very same footing.

The damage preceded even Buhari, but the Daura clown made matters worse with his reckless borrowing and economic policies!

Tinubu is currently running on fumes... He is grandstanding and hoping for a miraculous break somewhere, maybe a huge Debt-relief!

Sigh... It's gonna get really ugly, especially for people with large families and limited incomes! SMH!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Bukola94: 6:18pm On Jul 10, 2023
Zigzagman:

abegi, just forget dat private school mata. e get one of my yard people wey go find work for private school last month. Na 17,000 dem wan pay am to teach 4 subjects. 17,000 o grin grin grin grin
u never see 20k to teach 6 subjects and take 3classes in computer science and PHE
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Sharpsharp00123: 6:20pm On Jul 10, 2023
WeirdAlien:
Oga go n sit down with your rubbish analysis

Many of u are kids who don’t even know what operates now, there are car loans everywhere for civil servants which they can pay conveniently for a period of 4 years

Before u argue just know u are talking to a person whose both parents retired as civil servants

Many of u are just talking rubbish jare, many civil servants are using cars now self

1 Like

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:21pm On Jul 10, 2023
Aurelius1:
Government can review salaries but the private sector may find it hard to do that. With the recent increase in the price of fuel a lot of businesses are running at a deficit. Most are even on the verge of shutting down.
All these increments is not the issue

The govt doesn't just care at all.

Creation of new wealth,distribution and spread of wealth would have greatly helped in addressing the problem you highlighted. But you know what? Our govt are not just sincere.
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Itzlinda(f): 6:22pm On Jul 10, 2023
Dimaya:
I am writing this post in response to my initial post that made front page yesterday in which a lady said she won't get pregnant until her husband starts earning over 200K

See here:
https://www.nairaland.com/7729988/girl-wont-get-pregnant-husband/

People's reactions got me thinking heavily because nobody addressed the obvious elephant in the room:

unreasonable civil service salaries

In the original post's video, it was established that Nigerian civil servants starting out with a degree ( level 8 ) earn an average of 75K monthly.

And it takes as much as 15-20 years before they can earn close to 200K monthly.

With the current high cost of living (particularly food, transportation and housing), it seems the government doesn't expect civil servants to be able to support their families on their salaries.

This begs the question: does the Nigerian government pay enough for civil servants to get married?

And also, if you're a married civil servant earning less than 100K, how on earth are you able to meet your obligations today?

How?

the video referenced in the previous post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t66DkQl0j50

It is actually 92,000 now
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:24pm On Jul 10, 2023
Sharpsharp00123:
don’t mind them, I make around 180 monthly on an average as a bachelor n I dey use my head well well n I pray to grow more with time but many of them will come here n present it as if, if u are earning 500k u are doomed

I believe those who say that are those who live n spend to impress
Abeg Boss don't mind them jare.

U will surely know when children are talking or typing!
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Bukola94: 6:28pm On Jul 10, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Some persons looked and looked very well before jumping in but their N200k can only afford what N75k could as at when they decided to jump in. What next then?
so thoughtful of u, I remember when use 30k for foodstuffs and 15k for transport fare. Now that things are expensive and fuel subsidy don enter, we are just surviving 40k foodstuffs can't take us till month end & 24k to 25k on transport fare.
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Sharpsharp00123: 6:31pm On Jul 10, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Abeg Boss don't mind them jare.

U will surely know when children are talking or typing!
they just call money anyhow n u wonder what they spend it all on
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Bukola94: 6:33pm On Jul 10, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Our problem.generally is societal pressure of wanting to maintain a dignified job. That has made supply of teachers exceed demand and brought prices down. There is demand for food right now but teaching is so safe compared to farming people prefer to apply than farm. Technically there are jobs in agriculture but few applicants(entrepreneurs) and so teachers get offered peanuts.
That is one major problem, white collar jobs that can't pay billater. I once teach in a school, and the HOD told me she has been teaching for more than 30years, close to retirement and her salary is not up to 60k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nazira: Missing Child Found In Osogbo (Photo) / Three-year-old Falls Into Well While Playing With Friends (photo) / Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.