Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,120 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport (20821 Views)

Biafra Agitators Burn Two Trailers At Onitsha Head Bridge (Pics) / Fuel Scarcity: Hope Rises As Three Petrol Vessels Berth At Lagos Port - Guardian / 18 Ships With Petrol Berth At Lagos Ports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Konjour(m): 9:54pm On Oct 21, 2011
realchange:

No they are not.

So what are they?
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by emmatok(m): 10:26pm On Oct 21, 2011
Meristem:

hey folks, i am right on top of onitsha bridge now reporting for NL. The so called seaport is a small jetty. No ships. No seaport cranes. No containers in view. Just 2 mobile cranes. Need I tell u too? It's nothing like the pictures imported here. Na waaa o!

When we told them thier is no seariverport anywhere near Onitsha.

They are busy say it will kill Lagos economy.

Dreamers.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by igboboy1(m): 12:36am On Oct 22, 2011
Eko Ile:

Business is always about cost and money, no sane business folks do business based on sentiments and not cost and practicality, if it cost less and more convenient to ship goods from Lagos instead of the river port, they'll stick to road transportation from Lagos.

I am afraid that Eko Ile is right on the money on this issue, igbos east of the Niger the truth is that a port in onitsha wont change much , you say why?

We all know FG wont produce the necessary environment to make such facilities in the east to be fully functional, therefore:

The bitter truth remains that business people in the east will still patronize the Lagos port as the frequency of ships/barges/cargoes coming to onitsha would be low, expensive and will be of the smaller sizes (same thing applies to enugu airport).

The FG has to create an incentive for businesses air carriers and cargo ship operators to patronize ports in the east and you dont need a phd holder to tell you what is needed.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by DisGuy: 11:39pm On Feb 14, 2012
what about the second cargo ship?
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by plaindealer: 7:05am On Aug 30, 2013
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by plaindealer: 7:21am On Aug 30, 2013
Years later and after all the chest beating and saber rattling , this village river port is yet to touch Lagos in anyway...wetin happen? grin grin
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by omonnakoda: 7:52am On Aug 30, 2013
Too many generalizations ,uninformed statements and outright lies.

There is no seaport at Onitsha LIE

Cargo Ships cannot berth anywhere along the River Niger in Nigeria TODAY.

They need a depth of abouth 9metres or more. At Calabar the depth is about 5metres

There seems to be an assumption that most of the goods cleared at Lagos is destined for Onitsha based on the notion that most of the goods cleared through Lagos are by easterners. This is is simply untrue Most of the goods cleared in Lagos stay in Lagos and these are inputs for factories in Lagos and Ogun states which account for 80% of Nigeria's manufacturing. Most of the smuggled goods e.g. rice frozen foods etc also come in from Cotonou.

The obvious solution to Congestion in Lagos ports is to build New ones in any of the coastal states; Ogun Ondo Delta,Rivers Cross,River or Akwa Ibom not a river Jetty. Or additional ones in Lagos.
Two are planned in Lagos ;Lekki and Badagry and one in Akwa Ibom.

The question is why not the other states ? Because of swampy terrain or shallow waters they will all need dredging and this includes Calabar.
Goverment needs to develop infrastructure so that if ports are built in any of the coastal states there is an effective way of evacuating goods from the ports either by rail or road. This is necessary for the eastern part of the country North and South.

This brings us to the crux of the matter.Lagos is the only place on our coast that does not need dredging and can easily hold 10 more ports from Badagry to Epe at very little cost. That is the source of Lagos's prosperity not its capital status otherwise Abuja will be booming.

Clearly many Ibos resent Lagos for this and hope this signals the demise of Lagos. I laugh in containers!!
You better accept the fact that there will be no cargo ships coming to Onitsha soon and stop kidding yourselves.You might see some barges and ferries but that is it and there are many points along the river that have interest too so even that is not sure.

First let them dredge Calabar port and develop rail links there. The reality is government cannot do it all and private investors so far are voting for Lagos ;the two new ports are PRIVATE money while Akwa Ibom is awash with Oyel money.Cross River has little money but Rivers state needs to sit up.

It is funny that some people imagine Cargo ships will come to Nigeria pass through Rivers State and Not berth but go to Onitsha instead. The logical Place for another port in the Eastern region is Rivers or Cross River
Show me a place where the Private sector is investing and I will show you success; Lekki FTZ Lekki Ports,Eko Atlantic city.
Show me a place where government is "investing" and I will show you a scam; Tinapa,Onitsha seaport,etc

1 Like

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by omonnakoda: 8:00am On Aug 30, 2013
igbo boy:

I am afraid that Eko Ile is right on the money on this issue, igbos east of the Niger the truth is that a port in onitsha wont change much , you say why?

We all know FG wont produce the necessary environment to make such facilities in the east to be fully functional, therefore:

The bitter truth remains that business people in the east will still patronize the Lagos port as the frequency of ships/barges/cargoes coming to onitsha would be low, expensive and will be of the smaller sizes (same thing applies to enugu airport).

The FG has to create an incentive for businesses air carriers and cargo ship operators to patronize ports in the east and you dont need a phd holder to tell you what is needed.

The FG did not produce any environment in Lagos either. It is a God-given SWEET coastline; sandy ocean beach,good depth,no creeks and no swamps no dredging required. We thank our forefathers for settling there
The Apapa port has been functioning before 1900
http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1898_lagos/3064634_1898_lagos_opt.pdf
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by IGBOSON1: 9:08am On Aug 30, 2013
omonnakoda:

The FG did not produce any environment in Lagos either. It is a God-given SWEET coastline; sandy ocean beach,good depth,no creeks and no swamps no dredging required. We thank our forefathers for settling there
The Apapa port has been functioning before 1900
http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1898_lagos/3064634_1898_lagos_opt.pdf

^^^Oh please shut up....it's too early for your drama!

The federal gov't over the years actually produced a conducive environment for Lagos seaport by not even caring to consider building one in other parts of the country that equally have natural favourable conditions (like Ibaka), and also by not considering to spend money to dredge the Port Harcourt and Warri ports, and citing the same reasons you gave for Lagos being enough for Nigeria: "...It is a God-given SWEET coastline; sandy ocean beach,good depth,no creeks and no swamps no dredging required...."; and this is despite the fact that the bulk of our revenue comes from these regions, yet we can't take a piece of said revenue to develop their seaports so they can have a thriving economy as well!

Nobody is a fool in this country! The fact that no one has said anything about una machinations since the 70s doesn't mean nobody is aware of it!

3 Likes

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by omonnakoda: 10:46am On Aug 30, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Oh please shut up....it's too early for your drama!

The federal gov't over the years actually produced a conducive environment for Lagos seaport by not even caring to consider building one in other parts of the country that equally have natural favourable conditions (like Ibaka), and also by not considering to spend money to dredge the Port Harcourt and Warri ports, and citing the same reasons you gave for Lagos being enough for Nigeria: "...It is a God-given SWEET coastline; sandy ocean beach,good depth,no creeks and no swamps no dredging required...."; and this is despite the fact that the bulk of our revenue comes from these regions, yet we can't take a piece of said revenue to develop their seaports so they can have a thriving economy as well!

Nobody is a fool in this country! The fact that no one has said anything about una machinations since the 70s doesn't mean nobody is aware of it!
Guy You can tell them to shut up whan you get home. There is no need for childish tantrums here.I speak with facts and evidence

Look at the attached colonial report;
go to page 4 of the report and see the Customs duties being collected in 1897.Go to page 7 to check import values £4million in 5 years and check the value of £4million 120 years ago

In
1900 £4million would be worth £400 million today = 100 billion Naira
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html
and I am sure trade did not stand still so don't give us this tired line of OIL money.

Now go to page 11 of the same report and see what it says about SHIPPING; In 1898 408 Steamers with a tonnage of 410000 tonnes and a crew numbering 15620 were REGISTERED AT THE PORT OF LAGOS
not the port of Ibaka or Onitsha!! FACTS FACTS FACTS
You see I present FACTS not akpu inspired village rumours from the "ilo"
Why did they not build a port in Ibaka then. Stop deceiving yourself. The Port has paid more to the FG than the FG has given to Lagos and is MORE VALUABLE than oil. The Port was built by the British and expanded by the FG have you asked who paid for the BIAFRAN WAR or pain for the £20 bonanza given to Ibos after the war??

Lagos is a Cash Cow for Nigeria contributing to the COMMONWEALTH rather than receiving and a major Financier of the Biafra POLICE ACTION and the £20 BONANZA to the AMNESTIED BIAFRANS

2 Likes

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Abagworo(m): 10:20pm On Jul 16, 2014
This is an old thread created way back in 2011 with a glimmer of hope that the Onitsha port was already functional. Today we are still hoping but realistically writing I think more focus should be on human and light goods transportation as its almost impossible to achieve dredging enough to transport sea-going vessels.

1 Like

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by ChinoElects: 10:27pm On Jul 16, 2014
Now read this to solve your ignorance problem!

To meet the 2014 target set by the Federal Government for the concession of Onitsha River Port, the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) said it has engaged consultants to fashion out the concession plan.

Managing Director of NIWA, Hajia Inna Ciroma disclosed this to newsmen in Lokoja recently.

She denied report that Government has abandoned the Lokoja River Port, saying work is ongoing on the Idah Jetty and will soon be completed.
She said the move to concession the river ports is aimed at maximizing the gains of the dredging of the Lower Niger River, as well as boost water transportation in the country.
Inna Ciroma further disclosed that the agency would soon convene a meeting of stakeholders in the maritime industry on the benefits of the water transportation especially for movement of cargo.
She said the first leg of the meeting would take place in Onitsha. The meeting will continue at other venues subsequently.
According to her, haulage companies, exporters, importers, manufacturing companies and members of the organized private sector will be attending the meeting.
She disclosed that the agency has started installing security gadgets along the waterways.
The NIWA managing director further said that the first phase of the project from Baro to Lokoja has been completed.
She also said that 12 gunboats acquired by the agency in 2012 have been deployed to sensitive points along the water channel to secure the waters.
She added that the federal government would soon dredge the River Benue and build a River Port in Makurdi.

http://www.championonlinenews.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=12555:fg-to-concession-onitsha-river-port-in-2014&Itemid=137&lang=en
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by HappyJoe: 10:29pm On Jul 16, 2014
ChinoElects: Now read this to solve your ignorance problem!
To meet the 2014 target set by the Federal Government for the concession of Onitsha River Port, the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) said it has engaged consultants to fashion out the concession plan.
Managing Director of NIWA, Hajia Inna Ciroma disclosed this to newsmen in Lokoja recently.
She denied report that Government has abandoned the Lokoja River Port, saying work is ongoing on the Idah Jetty and will soon be completed.
She said the move to concession the river ports is aimed at maximizing the gains of the dredging of the Lower Niger River, as well as boost water transportation in the country.
Inna Ciroma further disclosed that the agency would soon convene a meeting of stakeholders in the maritime industry on the benefits of the water transportation especially for movement of cargo.
She said the first leg of the meeting would take place in Onitsha. The meeting will continue at other venues subsequently.
According to her, haulage companies, exporters, importers, manufacturing companies and members of the organized private sector will be attending the meeting.
She disclosed that the agency has started installing security gadgets along the waterways.
The NIWA managing director further said that the first phase of the project from Baro to Lokoja has been completed.
She also said that 12 gunboats acquired by the agency in 2012 have been deployed to sensitive points along the water channel to secure the waters.
She added that the federal government would soon dredge the River Benue and build a River Port in Makurdi.
http://www.championonlinenews.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=12555:fg-to-concession-onitsha-river-port-in-2014&Itemid=137&lang=en

This one na story, you & I know nothing will happen.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by ChinoElects: 10:32pm On Jul 16, 2014
The same reason I said the best you can do is to die out of frustration and bitterness!

Its already working, very soon FG wiill announce the concessionaires and you will still sit in your poverty yapping 'it will not happen'.. grin grin

HappyJoe:

1 Like

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Abagworo(m): 10:45pm On Jul 16, 2014
HappyJoe:

. It will happen but large vessels won't be involved. The dredging was meant to make inland Nigeria more accessible to larger vessels but was grounded by the EIA which reported possible negative effects on aquatic life that made Ijaws block the move. However smaller vessels can still make use of the inland waterways until a compromise is achieved.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by ChinoElects: 10:49pm On Jul 16, 2014
You must be out of your mind to say that Ijaw blocked anything! Who are the Ijaws to block an economically viable project as the inland water ways, a federal government project that spans about 3 geographical locations? Lemme make it clear to you Ijaw or whatever you call them did not block anything and cannot block anything because they do not have the damn power nor might to do so!

The Onitsha Port has been concluded and concession is ongoing!

Abagworo: . It will happen but large vessels won't be involved. The dredging was meant to make inland Nigeria more accessible to larger vessels but was grounded by the EIA which reported possible negative effects on aquatic life that made Ijaws block the move. However smaller vessels can still make use of the inland waterways until a compromise is achieved.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Abagworo(m): 11:03pm On Jul 16, 2014
ChinoElects: You must be out of your mind to say that Ijaw blocked anything! Who are the Ijaws to block an economically viable project as the inland water ways, a federal government project that spans about 3 geographical locations? Lemme make it clear to you Ijaw or whatever you call them did not block anything and cannot block anything because they do not have the damn power nor might to do so!

The Onitsha Port has been concluded and concession is ongoing!

. I don't think we have any arguments Mr Chino. The Niger has not been dredged deep enough to contain large vessels as planned earlier but like I already wrote the ports can still be put to use for inland transport of lighter goods and smaller vessels till the issue of dredging is resolved. A port is also located in my hometown.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Abagworo(m): 11:08pm On Jul 16, 2014
As you can read from this link, the dredging started from Obasanjo era and so also was its resistance. http://allafrica.com/stories/200305200738.html
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by ChinoElects: 11:08pm On Jul 16, 2014
For you to say that Ijaw blocked anything is nonsensical, because Ijaw as a group cannot and does not have any such power to block an FG project. Which port is in your village? You mean Oguta jetty that does not make any economic sense? When last did you hear about it? I am sure FG has realized that it will not be viable that led them into abandoning it!

Abagworo: . I don't think we have any arguments Mr Chino. The Niger has not been dredged deep enough to contain large vessels as planned earlier but like I already wrote the ports can still be put to use for inland transport of lighter goods and smaller vessels till the issue of dredging is resolved. A port is also located in my hometown.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by ChinoElects: 11:11pm On Jul 16, 2014
Yaradua initiated the actual dredging and GEJ continued with the project till now!

Abagworo: As you can read from this link, the dredging started from Obasanjo era and so also was its resistance. http://allafrica.com/stories/200305200738.html
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Abagworo(m): 11:20pm On Jul 16, 2014
ChinoElects: For you to say that Ijaw blocked anything is nonsensical, because Ijaw as a group cannot and does not have any such power to block an FG project. Which port is in your village? You mean Oguta jetty that does not make any economic sense? When last did you hear about it? I am sure FG has realized that it will not be viable that led them into abandoning it!

. http://employmentclinic.net/2014/04/27/onitsha-river-port-rusts-as-government-prepares-to-concession/ 27
Apr
Onitsha River Port Rusts as Government Prepares to Concession

The Federal Government may be set to concession the River Ports in Baro, Oguta and Lokoja even as the newly commissioned River Port in Onitsha has started to rust as a result of poor patronage.

Commissioned by President Jonathan after splashing over N3billion in a project which indigenes of the commercial city said was yet to meet their expectation, the River Port looked ghostly as no genuine activities was taking place, aside from the presence of some of the workers who were seen strolling in and out of the premises.

Of course, this was not the dream of Mr. President when he went to commission it, with fanfare. But what can anyone do, when we all know that a River port does not function without a regular supply of cargo, explained a trader near the Onitsha Bridge head.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Transport has indicated government’s willingness to hurriedly complete, commission and concession the River Ports at Baro in Niger State., Oguta in Imo state and the one at Lokoja in Kogi state. The Minister says the Ministry would ensure that things work better this time as the project would be complemented by enviable maintenance dredging of the lower River Niger channel as an ongoing project that would suffice, after the completion of capital dredging.
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by asha80(m): 11:23pm On Jul 16, 2014
i wonder why all these argurements...the onitsha river port can onluy serve small or medium size barges not big ocean liners...first and foremost if big ocean liners are to birth at onitsha,how are they going to pass under the bridges of east west road and present niger bridge?
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by ChinoElects: 11:24pm On Jul 16, 2014
All these grammar cannot underscore the fact that Onitsha Port's concessionaire will soon be announced. It does not still change the fact that Oguta jetty does not have any economic viability. So stop searching the web and start facing reality!

These are the only viable ports in Nigeria: Lagos Port, PH Port, Warri Port and Onitsha Port! The one in Akwaibom will equally be viable on completion!
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by ChinoElects: 11:26pm On Jul 16, 2014
There is no way big liners can berth in Onitsha Port because of the Niger bridge. The only thing that can berth in the city port is barges etc..

asha80: i wonder why all these argurements...the onitsha river port can onluy serve small or medium size barges not big ocean liners...first and foremost if big ocean liners are to birth at onitsha,how are they going to pass under the bridges of east west road and present niger bridge?
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by MzJackBaueress(f): 11:27pm On Jul 16, 2014
ChinoElects:

Nwoke m! What is happening on the Second River Niger Bridge? Any latest development or will be a scam like the onitsha seaport?
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by ChinoElects: 11:29pm On Jul 16, 2014
This is example of what I mean. It contains as much as ship and ocean liner can contain. This can berth in Onitsha!

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by ChinoElects: 11:32pm On Jul 16, 2014
This can also make it to Onitsha Port!

Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by eaglechild: 11:33pm On Jul 16, 2014
omonnakoda: Guy You can tell them to shut up whan you get home. There is no need for childish tantrums here.I speak with facts and evidence

Look at the attached colonial report;
go to page 4 of the report and see the Customs duties being collected in 1897.Go to page 7 to check import values £4million in 5 years and check the value of £4million 120 years ago

In
1900 £4million would be worth £400 million today = 100 billion Naira
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html
and I am sure trade did not stand still so don't give us this tired line of OIL money.

Now go to page 11 of the same report and see what it says about SHIPPING; In 1898 408 Steamers with a tonnage of 410000 tonnes and a crew numbering 15620 were REGISTERED AT THE PORT OF LAGOS
not the port of Ibaka or Onitsha!! FACTS FACTS FACTS
You see I present FACTS not akpu inspired village rumours from the "ilo"
Why did they not build a port in Ibaka then. Stop deceiving yourself. The Port has paid more to the FG than the FG has given to Lagos and is MORE VALUABLE than oil. The Port was built by the British and expanded by the FG have you asked who paid for the BIAFRAN WAR or pain for the £20 bonanza given to Ibos after the war??

Lagos is a Cash Cow for Nigeria contributing to the COMMONWEALTH rather than receiving and a major Financier of the Biafra POLICE ACTION and the £20 BONANZA to the AMNESTIED BIAFRANS
What has this topic got to do with Biafra and 20 pounds?
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Sloan: 11:47pm On Jul 16, 2014
ChinoElects: For you to say that Ijaw blocked anything is nonsensical, because Ijaw as a group cannot and does not have any such power to block an FG project. Which port is in your village? You mean Oguta jetty that does not make any economic sense? When last did you hear about it? I am sure FG has realized that it will not be viable that led them into abandoning it!

Abusing the Ijaws and slamming them is now your pastime because they've upstaged you people! I smell jealousy! Ijaw cannot block anything forgetting that your fathers are now errand boys, willing tools and under the powers of an Ijaw man! I sure feel the Ijaws must be proud to consign you to the back benchers you are! No wonder that reality is stirring jealousy in your and your people hence your uncouth and uncharitable comments towards them!
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by ChinoElects: 11:51pm On Jul 16, 2014
TRASH!

Next patient!

[s]
Sloan:

Abusing the Ijaws and slamming them is now your pastime because they've upstaged you people! I smell jealousy! Ijaw cannot block anything forgetting that your fathers are now errand boys, willing tools and under the powers of an Ijaw man! I sure feel the Ijaws must be proud to consign you to the back benchers you are! No wonder that reality is stirring jealousy in your and your people hence your uncouth and uncharitable comments towards them!
[/s]
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Sloan: 11:52pm On Jul 16, 2014
ChinoElects: TRASH!

I am a mental patient!

[s][/s]

LWKMD!!! grin grin See painment! He don cry belle full!
Re: First Cargo Ships Berth At Onitsha Seaport by Abagworo(m): 11:52pm On Jul 16, 2014
ChinoElects: There is no way big liners can berth in Onitsha Port. The only thing that can berth in the city port is barges etc..

. Why then were you abusing me? Guy you are disgusting.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"You Are Heating Up The Polity" - Ohanaeze To Nnamdi Kanu / Governor Dapo Abiodun Introduces 3,700 School Fee In Ogun State Schools / Lagos By-Election: PDP In Dilemma As APC Settles For Tokunbo Abiru, Bank MD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.