Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa (13016 Views)

For Criticising Aregbesola, Thugs Attack Newspaper Readers At Newsstand / Policeman Kills Youth For Insisting On Sighting Election Result Sheet / I’ve Received Threats For Criticising Buhari — Sheik Gumi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Sagamite(m): 10:27pm On Oct 22, 2011
arsenefc:

Next time you go ahead and argue with the man with a gun, instead of challenging the system in a designated court of law.

ode, olodo oshi.

You are a cretin!

Product of a failed education system!

Instead of condemning foools that destroyed his life and made his brains vegetable for having police kill citizens monthly, he is condemning someone that complained. FOOOOOOOOOOOL!

What court in Nigeria will stop police checkpoint or can dictate what is done at it? Mooooooooron!
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by arsenefc: 10:37pm On Oct 22, 2011
Sagamite:

You are a cretin!

Instead of condemning foools that destroyed his life and make his brains vegetable for having police kill citizens monthly, he is condemning someone that complained. FOOOOOOOOOOOL!

How did he complain? By aggravating an already stressed man. Arguing with a  man most likely with mental issues, not well paid, working under unimaginable working conditions, with no health benefits, no job security, no life insurance, derided by the general public, hardly making ends meet, with shattered ego as to what it is to be a man. The last thing he needs is some ediot criticizing him. We all have breaking points, you know. You will do what the cop did if you found yourself in his shoes.

What court in Nigeria will stop police checkpoint or can dictate what is done at it?

Whether you want to believe it or not, courts have ruled appropriately, in favor of the citizen, in situations like this. As long as you provide evidence ( we all have cell phones, the cops have names, they have numbers, there is a street name, they have logs etc). Gani Fawehinmi easily come to mind, but there have been other situations as well when the courts have sided with the little man.

Dont get mad, GET PHOCKING ORGANIZED.

But I know your tiny brain doesnt have what it takes to get organized and map out strategies in a chaotic place like Nigeria, no wonder you ran to London living in the ghetto there.

Ode oshi.

Again, I repeat, only an ediot argues with the man with a gun.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 11:01pm On Oct 22, 2011
arsenefc
We all have breaking points, you know. You will do what the cop did if you found yourself in his shoes.

@^^ You sound like an apologist for mediocrity and general ineptitude of our security agents. Do you sincerely believe that the wicked police man would be able to shoot at an innocent civilian in the presence of northern witnesses without giving it a second thought or self restraint, in Kano or Bornu states? I understand your innate fear of our Police men anywhere in the South of Nigeria but we must not renege from making our voices heard by the authorities by any means necessary including retaliation as well to send a message that enough is enough.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by arsenefc: 11:03pm On Oct 22, 2011
cheikh:

arsenefc
@^^ You sound like an apologist for mediocrity and general ineptitude of our security agents.

Who are you comparing them with?
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 11:12pm On Oct 22, 2011
arsenefc
Who are you comparing them with?

@^^ Did I compare them with any dissimilar organisations? .  Most uniformed men and women in Nigeria behave almost similar like they own us most especially the Southern part of the country shocked.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Sagamite(m): 10:05am On Oct 23, 2011
arsenefc:

How did he complain? By aggravating an already stressed man. Arguing with a  man most likely with mental issues, not well paid, working under unimaginable working conditions, with no health benefits, no job security, no life insurance, derided by the general public, hardly making ends meet, with shattered ego as to what it is to be a man. The last thing he needs is some ediot criticizing him. We all have breaking points, you know. You will do what the cop did if you found yourself in his shoes.

You are a cretin!

You are exagerrating the shyt!

Typical conjectures of an average mooronic product of our failed education system.

Do you understand the meaning of "most likely"?

Where is there no health benefits, life insurance or job security in Nigerian Police force? Cretin!

Foooooool! The average Nigerian police man behaves like this because they are power drunk and do not feel there will be (and is used to no) consequences for their actions.

Can you see how dumb you are?

arsenefc:

Whether you want to believe it or not, courts have ruled appropriately, in favor of the citizen, in situations like this. As long as you provide evidence ( we all have cell phones, the cops have names, they have numbers, there is a street name, they have logs etc). Gani Fawehinmi easily come to mind, but there have been other situations as well when the courts have sided with the little man.

Dont get mad, GET PHOCKING ORGANIZED.

But I know your tiny brain doesnt have what it takes to get organized and map out strategies in a chaotic place like Nigeria, no wonder you ran to London living in the ghetto there.

Ode oshi.

Again, I repeat, only an ediot argues with the man with a gun.

You are a cretin!

Dumbshyt!

Courts haves ruled favourably for someone wrong? And so? How does this apply to this guy? Had he been wronged before they killed him?

Foooooooooooooooool!

So he should go to a "NIGERIAN" court and sue that he was not happy seeing police taking bribe?

Cretin!

Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Sagamite(m): 10:07am On Oct 23, 2011
cheikh:

arsenefc
@^^ You sound like an apologist for mediocrity and general ineptitude of our security agents. Do you sincerely believe that the wicked police man would be able to shoot at an innocent civilian in the presence of northern witnesses without giving it a second thought or self restraint, in Kano or Bornu states? I understand your innate fear of our Police men anywhere in the South of Nigeria but we must not renege from making our voices heard by the authorities by any means necessary including retaliation as well to send a message that enough is enough.

He is a cretinous product of a failed education system!

Coupled by lack of adequate diet to sufficiently provide nutrients for brain development!
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:09am On Oct 23, 2011
Sagamite:

Coupled by lack of adequate diet to sufficiently provide nutrients for brain development!

grin @sagamite - that was tame; are you getting soft these days or is your crusade for a world devoid of insidious buffons thelikes we see on NL fading away? give it to him squarely like you used to
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by yulad(m): 1:25pm On Oct 23, 2011
Sometimes, I believe Nigeria deserves this. As sad as this is, this is one of those times. sad
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by arsenefc: 1:46pm On Oct 23, 2011
Sagamite:

First of all, you need to go back and learn how to use prepositions appropriately.

Coupled with = along with, in addition to, furthermore

Coupled by = join by something external

Again, I have said it so many times, your English is too verbose and often nonsensical. Is English like your tenth language?

Olodo jatijati.

lagerwhenindoubt:

grin @sagamite - that was tame; are you getting soft these days or is your crusade for a world devoid of insidious buffons thelikes we see on NL fading away? give it to him squarely like you used to

Why dont you give it to me squarely?
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Sagamite(m): 8:43pm On Oct 23, 2011
arsenefc:

First of all, you need to go back and learn how to use prepositions appropriately.

Coupled with = along with, in addition to, furthermore

Coupled by = join by something external

Again, I have said it so many times, your English is too verbose and often nonsensical. Is English like your tenth language?

Olodo jatijati.

Why dont you give it to me squarely?

Cretin, you have no more argument?

Your mooronic logic has been destroyed?

Now fcking bow and worship your God!

lagerwhenindoubt:

Don't worry. He will get his entire entitlement of bashing. grin
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by azalea48: 2:29am On Oct 24, 2011
Where you do not have accountability, there are those who think they are above the law. During a demo last year in london, a man was pushed by the police
he fell banged his head and died from his injuries. The officer is now in court charged with manslaughter. There are member of parliament in prison for fraud. That is accountability.Until peple with power share the resposibility that comes with it, we will always have this problem.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by shumno(f): 2:28pm On Oct 24, 2011
cry cry cry cry cry
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry :'
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
I weep for my country. sad sad sad sad
The police are supposed to protect us, but what do we see daily?
They ve become our enemies.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by chines4(m): 3:12pm On Oct 24, 2011
azalea48:

Where you do not have accountability, there are those who think they are above the law. During a demo last year in london, a man was pushed by the police
he fell banged his head and died from his injuries. The officer is now in court charged with manslaughter. There are member of parliament in prison for fraud. That is accountability.Until peple with power share the resposibility that comes with it, we will always have this problem.

Thanks good talk
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by VolvoS60(m): 5:31pm On Oct 25, 2011
cheikh:

@ all Posters saying that we should be fearful and subservient in "Nigeria" because the Police behave badly. Actually it is only in a section of the country, Southern Nigeria predominantly. We seem to bury our heads in the sand and gloss over that fact as if it affects the rest of the country(North). It seems to me that a lot of Nigerians have not travelled around the country as to observe the distinct difference in police behaviour in the North and the South. There is abject contempt, disrespect, and disregard for human life by every law enforcement agents in the South. Even traffic wardens in Lagos behave badly too despite not being armed yet. Did the police not kill two brothers in ONDO state recently yet the outrage against the police was feeble and the police station and inhabitants are still in business as usual. Cowardice, Fear and Laziness have taken hold of our collective psyche hence impunity flourishes in the South of the country more than anywhere else in the country. We are fearful of social misfits like Area boys, cultists in universities (mainly in the South) to other social miscreants and delinquents in our midst. Fear has gained control of natural ability to Act purposefully. It is as if we are a conquered and defeated people indeed and not full fledged citizens of a so called free country.

@ cheikh,

I have heard views similar to yours expressed by quite a few people.

It might seem (on the surface) that the NPF (and law enforcement in nigeria in general) is generally more civil in its dealing with the public in northern nigeria. I once thought so too.

But time has changed that view.

Remember the apo six? There are countless examples of police brutality and lawlessness up north, just like down south. I have family/friends residing up north who have had hair raising experiences with policemen (shots being fired without warning) at check points on the highway, in the metropolis, just about anywhere.

It is a Nigerian problem. You may argue that it is latent up North but that might even make it more dangerous.

May the dead young man find rest. He was bold enough to walk the walk and he was certainly a doer of the Word and not a hearer only. He stood up to be counted when it mattered most, which is more than i can say for so many of us.

P.S. Some of us on the board have passed comments along the lines of "the army should teach the NPF a lesson", etc.

When will we learn? The nigerian army and the nigeria police are two sides/faces of the same bad coin, both in urgent need of redemption. I actually believe the army is more to blame for nigeria being the hell it is, but that's a topic for another day.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 12:24pm On Oct 26, 2011
@VolvoS60

Please we must not make excuses to cover up very serious obvious/open problems pervasive in the south of NIgeria. The Apo 6(Abuja) were southern victims as usual. Many of the victims of gross police and army brutality/impunity are majority Southern Nigerians. Try to investigate further, perhaps you'll come away with a different viewpoint. It's easy to say that it's a Nigerian problem but that's glossing over the details and the 'devil' in our midst. Southern Nigerians have internalised and accepted Police impunity and misdemeanour as normal hence the generalised excuses being made for cowardice and laziness. It does not happen in Kano nor Bornu states trust me! Southern Nigerians generally are cowardly and lack self respect. They voluntarily offer unsolicited "bribes" wily nilly to anybody in uniform without being asked. Please travel around Nigeria a little bit you'll be disabused of your generalised view of how things are in the Country especially with Policing style/attitudes- North/South. Incidentally, majority of the so called rogue police men are Southern Nigerians sad.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Sagamite(m): 12:50pm On Oct 26, 2011
cheikh:

Southern Nigerians generally are cowardly and lack self respect. They voluntarily offer unsolicited "bribes" wily nilly to anybody in uniform without being asked.

You are wrong there, bruv.

When you are more educated and more affluent, you value your life more and are less foolhardy, suicidal and maurading.

Being belligerent and issuing rhetorical threats of violence is not a sign of bravery.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 1:44pm On Oct 26, 2011
Sagamite
When you are more educated and more affluent, you value your life more and are less foolhardy, suicidal and maurading.

@^ I agree with you but that's the problem with the south that people have surrendered their civil liberties for some imaginary safety. It's become a slippery slope downwards to total anarchy and acquiescence to general abuse all over the place. I doubt it has anything to do with being better educated/affluence but rather the gross misperception the Power mongers hold of the Southern populace sad. The behaviour of our Police force strutting their stuff everywhere in the south of the country is shocking indeed. You do not need to be a dare-devil to earn their ire trust me.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Sagamite(m): 1:52pm On Oct 26, 2011
cheikh:

Sagamite
@^ I agree with you but that's the problem with the south that people have surrendered their civil liberties for some imaginary safety. It's become a slippery slope downwards to total anarchy and acquiescence to general abuse all over the place. I doubt it has anything to do with being better educated/affluence but rather the gross misperception the Power mongers hold of the Southern populace sad. The behaviour of our Police force strutting their stuff everywhere in the south of the country is shocking indeed. You do not need to be a dare-devil to earn their ire trust me.

Nigerians are not militant enough for social good.

They are militant for selfish gains but not social good.

We need to protest against and deal with the police. Heads need to roll and people need to be in jail when their evil happens. Any leadership that cannot give and gaurantee that, needs to step aside.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 1:57pm On Oct 26, 2011
Sagamite

We need to protest against and deal with the police.

^^ Very on Point bro! It's a national malaise indeed angry.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:14pm On Oct 26, 2011
Sagamite:

We need to protest against and deal with the police

Right there! I have been racking my pondering the challenges to a "Successful Revolution" in Nigeria
1: The Masses who are essentially the wheels of the revolution are so dis-franchised and too poor to raise their reasoning towards Social Thinking
2: The few who are inclined to any form of Social Activism (Activists, NGOs, Foreign-influence) can only do so much without the backing (physical presence and commitment) of the masses. (How do you get them to move in the Direction of Change)
3: The Institutions (Political, Economic, Religious, Social and Judicial) have been undermined so much that any thought at Resisting Self-destructive Policies and retrogressive performance is smothered with buffoonish reactions at high-levels and idiotic statements from public officials who should know better. David Marks believes what is central in the minds of Nigerians is the creation of more states  shocked
4: Protests continue but the effect is not enough to cause change without violent (often deadly) repercussions.

There has to be a unique formula to match our unique circumstances  
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 7:29pm On Nov 01, 2011
@Op
Perhaps the death of the young man should be an inspiration to the "idle" militants of the Niger Delta to organise and issue some retaliatory actions against rogue police men that are everywhere in the South South zone instead of making ineffectual threats to Boko Haram and innocent citizens of Northern extraction residing in the Zone. Making such threats and following through with it if the police panel etc fail to prosecute their rogue member/killer, must be much more beneficial to the nation and satisfying to peaceful and justice seeking Nigerians. There is a limit to human patience and endurance. Put your weapons and knowhow into productive social use cool grin. I'll certainly be grateful for such actions against impunity and extra-judicial police actions anywhere in Nigeria.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 7:36pm On Nov 01, 2011
@Op
Perhaps the death of the young man should be an inspiration to the "idle" militants of the Niger Delta to organise and issue some retaliatory actions  against rogue police men that are everywhere in the South South zone instead of making ineffectual threats to Boko Haram and innocent citizens of Northern extraction residing in the Zone. Making such threats and following through with it, if the police panel etc fail to prosecute their rogue member/killer.It must be much more beneficial to the nation and satisfying to peaceful and justice seeking Nigerians. There is a limit to human patience and endurance. Put your weapons and knowhow into productive social use cool grin. I'll certainly be grateful for such actions against impunity and extra-judicial police actions anywhere in Nigeria.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by 1025: 11:13pm On Nov 01, 2011
fresh air 2011 - 2015.
if we keep doing the same thing(folding our arms and watching these criminals in power), we will continue getting the same result (death).
if u look back to the number of deaths these country has recorded since the name goodluck came to federal lime-light, and compare it to the remaining days of his tenure, we will agree with me here that by 2015, nigeria will become 80m in population.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Kilode1: 12:43am On Nov 02, 2011
Did somebody high up cover up this story?

It has been removed from the link, it seems only The Punch carried the original report.

Where is this boys family? The mother especially, who was also a witness according to the story.

Silenced? undecided
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 12:24pm On Nov 02, 2011
Kilode?!
I don't think it was intentionally removed or covered up per se. I think that our so called journalists are part of the Nigerian problem just like the rogue police force. They are lazy, ignorant and intentionally deferential to anybody that shows them ₦  sad.

How do you do Bro? Longtime no see? Mind you I've been off NL for a while. I'm getting a little exasperated with the new "democratic" Lucky Joe's government. Democracy now wears a new garb and the so called militants are quiet or rather contented because their son and daughter(Deziani-NNPC) are holding the purse strings of the federation sad. A lot of things are getting worse like Police impunity and delinquent soldiers on our streets.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by Kilode1: 3:16pm On Nov 02, 2011
cheikh:

Kilode?!
I don't think it was intentionally removed or covered up per se. I think that our so called journalists are part of the Nigerian problem just like the rogue police force. They are lazy, ignorant and intentionally deferential to anybody that shows them ₦  sad.

How do you do Bro? Longtime no see? Mind you I've been off NL for a while. I'm getting a little exasperated with the new "democratic" Lucky Joe's government. Democracy now wears a new garb and the so called militants are quiet or rather contented because their son and daughter(Deziani-NNPC) are holding the purse strings of the federation sad. A lot of things are getting worse like Police impunity and delinquent soldiers on our streets.

Cheikh, My bro, long time really. Yes, I took a short break off NL. Glad to have you back too.

Well, I don't think anyone like you with a decent understanding of what our foundational problems are will be surprised. Until we face the truth and radically address those problems we shouldn't expect too much from these politicians. They are human afterall. GEJ will come and go, Nigeria's problem won't go away, until we address it fundamentally.

I know you are not surprised to see the same old same.

Now, I'm really curious about this Punch report. Bayelsa is the president's state and if you listen to the recent agitations going on in neighbouring Delta and the occupy noise we hear these days, it might be smart for any government to cover up an atrocity like this. It's a terrible story really, boy coming from church with mother, boy complained about police bribery in holy indignation, boy shot dead by police while running away with Holy Bible in hand, in front of his mother!

That kind of narrative in the hands of a skilled team of propagandist can lead to great chaos and terminate any careless government. It is similar to what occurred in Tunisia.

So, maybe my assumption is a reflection of deeper wishes but, it's very curious that Punch Newspapers took it off within a few hours and no one is reporting it except for a few Nigerian forum posts, and they all lead to the same dead Punch link. Except the story is fake.

I wish a daring journalist working in the ND area can track the mother down for an interview, I doubt she will want to bury this story.
Re: Police Kill Youth For Criticising Checkpoint Extortion - Bayelsa by cheikh: 8:32pm On Nov 02, 2011
Kilode?!
That kind of narrative in the hands of a skilled team of propagandist can lead to great chaos and terminate any careless government. It is similar to what occurred in Tunisia

^^ That's my sentiments too but you'll agree with me that the majority of so called Nigerians are not [b]emotionally [/b]and psychically connected to the country hence corruption and impunity thrives. We are all technically alienated from each other as evidenced on NL forum discussions. Besides our career professional soldiers, I doubt that a lot of Nigerians will gladly volunteer to fight for country if there's an invasion from any of our neighbours let alone engaging in some high minded "Tunisian" style revolt. We've enough oppression in our midst and information to spur us into action yet we're never moved. Our newspapers/journalists are no different from our politicians. They are cheap and no integrity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

U.S. To Slap "Terrorist" Label On Boko Haram Militants / More Graduates To Be Recruited Into Police- Minister / Bishop Abraham Chris Udeh To PDP: Don't Allow APC To Manipulate 2019 Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.