Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,453 members, 7,812,389 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:35 PM

Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children (9693 Views)

FG Confirms Payment Of N5000 Stipend To Unemployed Youth Next Year / Aregbesola Begins Payment Of Osun Workers’ Salaries / Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Image123(m): 10:46pm On Nov 02, 2011
PointB
That's about average 2million annually on each imo state primary school? When the government puts whatever they want to put in these schools over a 4year period, would these schools be free? Would it be sustainable outside Rochas and would he need another term? How would 2million annual be monitored in over 1000 PRIMARY schools in corrupt naija compared to 12, even 100 I.T or technical facilities that should impart lives for at least 4years? It would turn imo into some african 'silicon valley' of some sort, and beam imo to the world. 4years of world class I.T education, or even technical/technological brushup, japan-korea-china way.
Well what do i know, just thinking aloud, he's free to himself o, no be fight.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by PointB: 11:17pm On Nov 02, 2011
^^^
This policy by they way is targeted at the primary schools. This is the area of greatest challenges. And the basic challenge is getting children to attend school.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Image123(m): 11:38pm On Nov 02, 2011
okay
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Relax101(m): 11:39pm On Nov 02, 2011
You all continue to whine and shout that Rochas is spending money. lol
The results go begin show very very soon.
You all should go freaking tell your thief thief governors to at least spend the state money on primary and secondary students instead of chopping alone.
FYI, Rochas is the Corrupt free. That's the ULTIMATE.
Damn!!!!!!!
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Delafruita(m): 5:27am On Nov 03, 2011
I have always thought highly of rochas and with this initiative,he has endeared himself to me even more.what people who criticize this move fail to understand is that emphasis isn't on the money but on getting the kids into school.someone mentioned that the kids would only show on payday which i disagree with.am sure there would be a criteria to be met before the kids are eligible to receive.
Whether the policy is sustained or not,its a good initiative which can only yield good results
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by juman(m): 8:29am On Nov 03, 2011
Bawss1:

OK, now Imo state is in trouble. They got rid of a heartless leader in the person of Ohakim and replaced him with Santa Claus Okorocha.

Wahala dey

Hmmmm

gists:

If he is truly interested in encouraging student to go to school, suggestions have been given (since he seems to lack ideas) that will make even artisans come back to school. Why are we even worrying ourselves sef. Just occurred to me that you really can't expect much from a gov. that has turned governance into a joke. I mean this is a man that has a clown in his carbinet (Chief Comedian of the state), has created an office called SA Events (Ist Lady) and we are here debating N100/month encouragement allowance for pupil. hahahahaha I laff owelle  grin grin grin grin

Surprising!

But the man contested to be the presidential candidate of his party. Now find governing a state difficult.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Okijajuju1(m): 8:39am On Nov 03, 2011
I thank God Rochas never won the Presidency!!

Maybe we would have had Minister of Comedy and he would have re-subsidised fuel down to 20Naira per liter, just to keep people smiling while the economy goes sour.

Imo State would end up eating all their state allocation by mouth and in the end have nothing to show for it.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by PointB: 1:46pm On Nov 03, 2011
Delafruita:

I have always thought highly of rochas and with this initiative,he has endeared himself to me even more.what people who criticize this move fail to understand is that emphasis isn't on the money but on getting the kids into school.someone mentioned that the kids would only show on payday which i disagree with.am sure there would be a criteria to be met before the kids are eligible to receive.
Whether the policy is sustained or not,its a good initiative which can only yield good results

+100
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by EkoIle1: 2:16pm On Nov 03, 2011
jp philips:

@ Eko ile
How did you learn the basic fundamentals of prudent governing and public administration? you just sit and read textbooks to tell me what a grass root Administrator believes will work for his people, people that when he returned from the north was setting up philanthropic institutions even before he became a governor, he knows better that Hunger is in the land

He was elected to be the governor of imo state, he was elected to build schools, hospitals, roads, not to be a philanthropist and give away all the tax payers money without investing in needed capital infrastructures needed to sustain generations to come.

Who told you that? what do you know about Imo state and what gift is best for them? did he say infrastructural development is forgotten because he is paying stipends? this is a man that the Edifice he uses as his foundation is 5 schools in imo put together and you are lecturing him on Infrastructure, abeg preach to your pastor

We know the best gift remains better and functioning schools and learning environment for kids in any society that kids from generations to generations will benefit from, not some idiotic goody goody free money giveaway that benefits no one, not even the kids.

The Gov. does not need to take permission from you before he rolls out his policies, until the kids reject the stipends then i will answer you.

I didn't say he needs to obtain permission before displaying how clueless and inept he is as a public administrator, I asked you a simple question. Answer the question and quit doing around.

Building schools for your kids or giving them free money for tom tom, pick one.

Did he tell you that he is robbing peter to pay Paul? how did you come to the above conclusion that the Gov. is sacrificing infrastructures for stipends?

Your peter and Paul nonsense remains your own fabrication.

If the man is not sacrificing infrastructures for free money give away everyday to buy popularity, show us what he has done besides sacking thousands of people and dishing money away like there's no tomorrow.

Are you an Albino? obviously you are seeing more characters than myself on the same piece

You mean only non albino people can see all the infrastructures the man has built?, LMAO. You are even worse that I thought.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 03, 2011
can someone say sai saraki?
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by cheikh: 5:10pm On Nov 03, 2011
jp philips
Yes, it is a good one because it will breed patriotism at a tender age after all the Govt will fool them that they are “chopping oil money” so they are now part of the Nigerians that have access to the tNational cake. The kids will love their country .I need not remind you that[b] patriotism mitigates corruption[/b]

Secondly, they will seriously consider going to school just to get Govt money and free okpa for lunch, let us quit deceiving ourselves about Imo state having highest school leavers in the SE. I seriously doubt those ambiguous figures because I ve never met NOA people going to families to interview and get accurate findings. The[b] figures are mere anecdotes, fabrication built on fallacy.[/b]

@jp philips ^^^ very on point the bolded above wink. Besides, much of the figures Nigerians use e.g. population figures are inaccurate/ not definitive.
The governor's monthly personal security (vote) money, is larger than the total cost of the so called stipend. The Governor does not have to give account on his personal security expenditure sad. It's so with all the Governors to the President. There's so much unaccounted slush money around sad.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Eugy00: 5:45pm On Nov 03, 2011
Imo State is not disadvantaged educationally in this country.The problem is the standard/quality of education.Some pupils hardly enter or move around their school premises after rain due to flood.Some village schools building are in very bad shape.Rochas in his manifesto(available on Nairaland)pledged keep and "maintain"the existing schools in Imo.I do not know why he intends to build more though the project is yet to commence.The new jss 1 students has no uniform yet at least in my own boys school,they were asked to wait for their uniforms but was asked to sow white uniforms untill they get their uniform.They were asked at least at my boys school to buy 15 exercise books.Though my boy has not recieved any payment,I would rather prefer Rochas to use such fund to improve the quality and standard of both the students and their teachers as well improving the general infrastructure in all the schools in Imo.Most of the schools here in Imo has no source of water supply the pupils are always seen around with school uniforms carrying buckets and containers inorder to get water for their various classes and teachers,most of these schools has no fuctional toilets etc.There are many pressing areas in our schools thet Rochas can use that money to improve.When all the problems confronting our educational systems/institutions have been solved then the pupils can be paid.To me the time is not yet ripe for our pupils to recieve such payments from government.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Kobojunkie: 12:50am On Nov 04, 2011
kcjazz (m)
Congo

Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children
« #24 on: November 02, 2011, 12:32 AM »
[size=13pt]The stipend covers the cost of family lost wages. [/size]It is against the law for  kids not to attend school. Giving the kids stipends would at least encourage them and save costs for families that would rather have them help at the farm or sell pure water during school hours.

We cannot fold our hands and say cos of the law in place folks will oblige, there are really poor folks out there so when we manage the hidden cost side then it makes it easy for families to follow through.  It is a stipend but it is a start. At least let them come to school for the money, all the states need to do is to tie it to results and all will be just fine. Plus cost of living is not Lagos State standard.

₦ 100 a month, in Nigeria will cover the cost of Family lost wages  God have mercy on your dear LYING soul!!! I feel so much pity for you ehn!!! ROFL

Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Kobojunkie: 12:55am On Nov 04, 2011
oyb (m)
macchiaGEJ: a 'plot' a day keeps the critics at bay

Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children
« #43 on: November 02, 2011, 10:08 AM »
one pure water a day

Where you dey see pure water buy for ₦ 3.33 a day
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Kobojunkie: 12:57am On Nov 04, 2011
gists:

You just provided a fresh perspective. Isn't their a possibility that the students the governor is trying to encourage only show up on pay days?? I mean out of 22 school days in a month, some could be smart enough to only come to school during the last week or about the day their national cake will be shared grin grin grin

Why did you have to state the obvious?? grin grin grin grin
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by emiye(m): 1:06am On Nov 04, 2011
Rochas must separate good governance [/b]and [b]philanthrophy..

This is not in anyway laudable, whoever has adviced him to do this must be a comedian. There are a 1001 things he can do with the money than give it out directly to the students.

With the roughly 100million per month he wants to start distributing to the students like "almajiri", if he saves that for 3months, that equates to 300million naira. He can also set up layers poultry farms in each of the 27 local governments.

The boiled eggs from the poultry farm can be supplied to students daily to improve their protein needs. There are many of those students lacking protein.

He would also have suceeded creating jobs via agriculture to the poultry workers.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by htajz: 1:18am On Nov 04, 2011
rochas abeg come and govern bayelsa when your done with imo. ijaw kids need to go back to school
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Kobojunkie: 1:20am On Nov 04, 2011
emiye:

Rochas must separate good governance [/b]and [b]philanthrophy..

This is not in anyway laudable, whoever has adviced him to do this must be a comedian. There are a 1001 things he can do with the money than give it out directly to the students.

With the roughly 100million per month he wants to start distributing to the students like "almajiri", if he saves that for 3months, that equates to 300million naira. He can also set up layers poultry farms in each of the 27 local governments.

The boiled eggs from the poultry farm can be supplied to students daily to improve their protein needs. There are many of those students lacking protein.

He would also have suceeded creating jobs via agriculture to the poultry workers.

O se oo!!! The skills the students will gain from such programs alone will be priceless.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by ektbear: 1:53am On Nov 04, 2011
See @emiye's wisdom!

Can you lend it to Okorocha for a few months? grin
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by emiye(m): 2:00am On Nov 04, 2011
ekt_bear:

See @emiye's wisdom!

Can you lend it to Okorocha for a few months? grin
Rochas will need to sack his special adviser on comedy affairs, then pay me at least twice his salary cool cool grin
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by richerdex: 2:29am On Nov 04, 2011
People who are not comfortable with Children getting pocket money definitely do not have children. This is a GREAT thing. It is a stimulant to study, also it keeps children off the streets, and teaches them how to plan. It is also an investment. Because now people will want their kids to study in the state, creating more jobs, and developing the state.

We should think outside the box. Rochas +10 points!!
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by jason123: 2:35am On Nov 04, 2011
@OP:Its a good initiative. At least, he thought about it.

richerdex:

People who are not comfortable with Children getting pocket money definitely do not have children. This is a GREAT thing. It is a stimulant to study, also it keeps children off the streets, and teaches them how to plan. It is also an investment. Because now people will want their kids to study in the state, creating more jobs, and developing the state.

We should think outside the box. Rochas +10 points!!
All this on 100 NIARA?! grin
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by gists: 6:05am On Nov 04, 2011
I just can't help replying to this post because you got it completely wrong

richerdex:

People who are not comfortable with Children getting pocket money definitely do not have children

I have kids, o.k. My boy looks forward to school every single day not because their proprietor dolls out N100 to them but largely because their is good raport between the pupils and their "anty". I know this when I paid them an unscheduled visit. He also looks forward to the nursery rhymes and wednessday is his favourite day - sport day - where they get to jump and run and skip and swing. . . . . You should see him when he hears the sound of the school bus. If Gov. Rochas even use the money to get them school buses alone, that will be a massive encouragement. It will set him miles apart from the rest as there are currently no state that does that.

richerdex:

This is a GREAT thing. It is a stimulant to study, also it keeps children off the streets, and teaches them how to plan.

This is the "wrongest" thing I've ever heard/read. Even matured grown ups find it difficult to plan/save let alone kids that act instantenously. Natural fact of life is if you have money in your pocket, you are LIKELY TO SPEND IT. Now I can assure you that the N100 will be blown in two days maximum.

Although the school fee is very reasonable compare to crazy amount some school collects, the day my son's proprietor gives him 1kobo, that will be his last in that school.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Kobojunkie: 6:17am On Nov 04, 2011
About time we get our children officially introduced to the culture of bribery and corruption (bribing kids to stay in school) . . . .  . I wonder if we could bribe them into living as law abiding citizens/decent human beings at the end of it all.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by gists: 7:10am On Nov 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

About time we get our children officially introduced to the culture of bribery and corruption (bribing kids to stay in school) . . . .  . I wonder if we could bribe them into living as law abiding citizens/decent human beings at the end of it all.

We will also bribe give them encouragement allowance to do their home work, give them encouragement allowance to take immunizations/go to the hospitals when the need arises, give them encouragement allowance to respect other peoples rights/opinions. . . . . .

One question for all pro encouragement allowance disciples. I'm tempted to say many of you don't have your kids in public school. Since their is now a perfect encouragement model in Imo, will you withdraw your kids and put them in Okorocha's encouragement payroll to get your kids interested in going to school?
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by ektbear: 9:56am On Nov 04, 2011
emiye:

Rochas will need to sack his special adviser on comedy affairs, then pay me at least twice his salary cool cool grin

Hehe grin
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by renewnaija(m): 11:33am On Nov 04, 2011
gists:

We will also bribe give them encouragement allowance to do their home work, give them encouragement allowance to take immunizations/go to the hospitals when the need arises, give them encouragement allowance to respect other peoples rights/opinions. . . . . .

One question for all pro encouragement allowance disciples. I'm tempted to say many of you don't have your kids in public school. Since their is now a perfect encouragement model in Imo, will you withdraw your kids and put them in Okorocha's encouragement payroll to get your kids interested in going to school?

Dude/chic, the wealthy dont have their kids in public schools. Most of them who know the value of education have other incentives or ways of encouraging their kids to go to school. Most of the masses dont see the need of education as business rules there in Igboland, so this just raises awareness & tries to get their attention. If you are wealthy & know the value of education, then go for your private schools. If not, then go for public schools. Even with the low quality of education, there will still be some glowing diamonds in the dirt who might have never been given the opportunity or encouragement. Dont get me wrong. N100 is not a massive incentive but statewide, it garners attention.

In the UK, jobless youths are paid allowance for their upkeep. Is this bribing & corruption? Let Rochas be. He has a vision. Focus on your states.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Kobojunkie: 3:41pm On Nov 04, 2011
renewnaija:

In the UK, jobless youths are paid allowance for their upkeep. Is this bribing & corruption? Let Rochas be. He has a vision. Focus on your states.

Interesting that you mention this. How does paying students less than $1 a month have to do with the above highlighted program? How does being JOBLESS equate to not wanting to go to the only school you can afford? Let Rocha's be even as he spends money that does not belong to Rochas? Are you high on goof? Think on what you just said to be sure you even have an inkling of what that implies. Are you then suggesting we should let all be simply because they also have some army of sycophants out there willing to overlook their many faults. Is that what you think this should be brought down to?
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by renewnaija(m): 6:11pm On Nov 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Interesting that you mention this. How does paying students less than $1 a month have to do with the above highlighted program? How does being JOBLESS equate to not wanting to go to the only school you can afford? Let Rocha's be even as he spends money that does not belong to Rochas? Are you high on goof?  Think on what you just said to be sure you even have an inkling of what that implies. Are you then suggesting we should let all be simply because they also have some army of sycophants out there willing to overlook their many faults. Is that what you think this should be brought down to?

@ Kobojunkie. Who made this post below then?
Kobojunkie:

How has paying kids to get their attention & encourage them to go to school equated to teaching the kids bribery & corruption?
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by renewnaija(m): 6:30pm On Nov 04, 2011
Also, people making proposals of what Rochas should or should not do should note that he has a job to provide the basic facilities & amenities for his society. These include power, food, water, education, health, housing, transport etc. How he does it is not his people's business because dt is why he was voted into power. What they want are results.

What works for Lagos may not work in Rivers, & what works in Delta may not work in Zamfara. Like I said, he wont listen to all you haters.
Besides I am not from his state neither am I his fan.

Why dont you all keep quiet & judge him @ the end of his tenure?

(Like Faze sings) , my way no be your way, & your way no be my way! Wetin concern you?
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Kobojunkie: 9:05pm On Nov 04, 2011
renewnaija:

@ Kobojunkie. Who made this post below then?
How has paying kids to get their attention & encourage them to go to school equated to teaching the kids bribery & corruption?

I didn't make that argument. One of your kind did. I simply posited that if we accept that we ought now to PAY/bribe our kids to go to school, then we might as well continue on and bribe them to be more responsible citizens at the end of it all. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by SamMilla1(m): 9:46pm On Nov 04, 2011
i wonder when these thieving ediots will learn to make long lasting policies. the next gov will scrap this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Is Dead On Arrival In Igboland - Uwazuruike / Kebbi Assembly Impeaches Speaker At 10: 25pm / The Elusive Director Of Radio Biafra Surface Live In Aba Now-(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.