Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,624 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children (9695 Views)

FG Confirms Payment Of N5000 Stipend To Unemployed Youth Next Year / Aregbesola Begins Payment Of Osun Workers’ Salaries / Okorocha Begins Delivery Of Free Kerosene In Imo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by gists: 2:26pm On Nov 02, 2011
manny4life:

Those who are in the U.S. should please petition Mayor Vincent Gray and ask him "why is it that the kids in the District receive stipends or bonus as they called it? Well I guess Michele Rhee (former commissioner of eduction for the district) will tell you that in fact, doing such has improved the grades of the student. The students want to learn more, they stay out of trouble and the whole load of (go figure) that comes with it.

Personally, I DO NOT support such; however, if people do claim it works for them, then hey. I'm no educationalist, perhaps, I have the slightest idea on the psychology on children education;  yet, I wouldn't endorse it. Meanwhile, a good mix of residents endorsed the program,  shocked shocked shocked . This goes to show you, either way though we might not agree on a policy, but if it does work, so be it.

My brother, it is called misplaced priorities. The kids in the U.S district you talked about most likely have well equipped libraries, condusive classrooms and teachers' motivation is not even an issue for them. Most people will agree that we don't have such luxuries in public schools in this country. People are not saying he should not encourage students, but must it be with money? Nigeria is already a country where we have traded our values for money (in other words we no get shame again because of moni undecided ). Inducting pupils into the same culture at their tender ages is just suicidal for the nation. Besides is he not even discouraging them? Why go to school just to earn N100 a month when you can earn multiples of that in a day in owerri market.

I believe he can extend his philanthropist scholarship now that he is a governor, he can buy books not only to equip the libraries but for every pupil in public schools. School uniforms can be yearly if he so much want to encourage them. He can increase the teachers' salaries. You'll be amazed at the turn-out if sporting activities and other talent are being encouraged. There are many things he can do with the N100 (that will run to 100s of millions recurring expenditure every month)

PointB:

Culled from Rochas Okorocha Manifesto
All children of Imo State must have free and compulsory basic/ secondary education. In our administration, Every Child Counts (ECC).
http://imostate.blog.com/2011/09/27/refresher-manifesto-of-his-excellency-governor-rochas-okorocha/
This is not the same as handing them N100 every month. Do think the idea of free education can be actualized by dolling out N100 every month? Can that buy any book or even pay for transport for a week to the schools?
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Okijajuju1(m): 3:03pm On Nov 02, 2011
Another laudable suggestion yall can hand over to Rochas Okorocha to consider;

Rather than give these children 100Naira per month, why not give out a contract to a reputable foriegn company or a Local company that has proven themselves over atleast 10years (it dosent have to be indegenous to Imo State) to provide snacks/food for these school children everyday during recess.

E.g

- 1 meatpie and Zobo drink
- 1 Sausage roll and one (Nafdac reg.) pure water
- 1 scotch egg and fanta
- 1 loaf of bread and a sachet of blue band margerine
- 1 Cup of tea and 1 doughnut

Advantage of this would be a feeding system that would help keep the children of imo state healthy and fed, while making them want to come to school everyday and look forward to recess when they can all eat. Most of these children in the rural communities dont get to have any food in the morning before they head off to school and it isnt like they have much waiting for them at home. This would also lighten the burden of Imo parents having to worry about breakfast for their children everyday.

Another scheme that would have been beneficial (If the schools were good and the grading system credible) would have been a reward system were by Kids who make a certian average every term get a reward of some sort from the government. The reward dosent even have to be monetary. It could come in the form of school supplies like books, pens, maths set, complete set of textbooks and work books, e.t.c. Even a government sponsored vacation to anywhere in Nigeria. and this could even be stretched further to include the schools that do very well at the National Common Entrance exams/Junior/Senior WAEC, they also get rewards like new equipments, salary bonuses, e.t.c. I dont see how paying little children (some of them are even under the age of 6) a miserly 100 Naira a Month (i.e #4.50k per day) help any childs development.

Once again, Rochas has demonstrated that he has no idea what governance is all about.

Its like he came in to share all the money in the State to every person at the expense of infrastructure and human development.

I shall offer a sacrifice for Imo State. I pray my vision of Imo State dying off like Bendel State does not come to pass,
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by ugosly(m): 3:11pm On Nov 02, 2011
I think some people are missing the point here,the stipend is not about feeding the pupils/students to lure them to school,or augmenting whatever expense of their parents.NO!!
It is more of a re-orientation process,Rochas (a philantrophist and a benevolent man),is simply trying to inculcate a sense of belongin in the children to start believin and lookin up to the Government( as it should be)again,the average Nigerian has completely lost hope in the Government,as such there is need to let the people know sombody high up there cares and thinks about them,and what other category of citizens are there to start with than the Imo Children.
y'all need to cut the man some slack and give him kudos.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Kx: 3:21pm On Nov 02, 2011
N120 a month per child is a good one but surprisingly even the N100 cannot buy Tom Tom for the kids for a month.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by ektbear: 3:22pm On Nov 02, 2011
Wth does philanthropy have to do with anything?

I can be generous and give away my own personal wealth.

But if I am generous with someone else's property (in this case, Imo State property) and give it away any how, that is a vice rather than a virtue.

Man some of the reasoning used here to justify questionable decisions is very screwy  undecided

Just call a spade a spade, imo.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by PointB: 3:37pm On Nov 02, 2011
Okija_juju:

Another laudable suggestion yall can hand over to Rochas Okorocha to consider;

Rather than give these children 100Naira per month, why not give out a contract to a reputable foriegn company or a Local company that has proven themselves over atleast 10years (it dosent have to be indegenous to Imo State) to provide snacks/food for these school children everyday during recess.

Who will pay for this?
The man has looked into his purse, and arrived at N100 monthly, you rather he provide the food/snacks everyday. Is that equivalent to N100 monthly? By the way, how exactly did you arrive at the fact that feeding them is a better idea that the money?

I beg to differ.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Okijajuju1(m): 3:49pm On Nov 02, 2011
PointB:

Who will pay for this?
The man has looked into his purse, and arrived at N100 monthly, you rather he provide the food/snacks everyday. Is that equivalent to N100 monthly? By the way, how exactly did you arrive at the fact that feeding them is a better idea that the money?

I beg to differ.

Then transfer the money to something more tangible jor!! Build their freaking schools up!! Buy them gaddarn sports equipments!! I dont care, but you can give money to kids!!

The U.K dosent do it, The U.S dont either so where the Bleep is Rochas getting this crap from?!

I could fault these policies on different levels.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by EkoIle1: 3:55pm On Nov 02, 2011
ekt_bear:

Wth does philanthropy have to do with anything?

I can be generous and give away my own personal wealth.

But if I am generous with someone else's property (in this case, Imo State property) and give it away any how, that is a vice rather than a virtue.

Man some of the reasoning used here to justify questionable decisions is very screwy
 undecided

Just call a spade a spade, imo.

It's def' mind bugling.

Instead of governing and catering to people's long term needs and future via investments in basic and educational infrastructures, the man is throwing money all over the place everyday. Obviously, the man is buying popularity with taxpayers money and many clueless and shortsighted folks are eating it up.

The kids are still going to wake up tomorrow to no new or renovated schools, no new or equipped libraries and zero investment in education, but millions is leaving the state's account every month for nothing and never to return.

This is what you call monkey banana governing.  

Obviously, the man is buying
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Okijajuju1(m): 4:09pm On Nov 02, 2011
Eko Ile:

It's def' mind bugling.

Instead of governing and catering to people's long term needs and future via investments in basic and educational infrastructures, the man is throwing money all over the place everyday. Obviously, the man is buying popularity with taxpayers money and many clueless and shortsighted folks are eating it up.

[size=18pt]The kids are still going to wake up tomorrow to no new or renovated schools, no new or equipped libraries and zero investment in education, but millions is leaving the state's account every month for nothing and never to return. [/size]
This is what you call monkey banana governing. 

Eko Ile, I dont know if you are a bloke or a dame, but I could kiss you just for this post (No homo! if you are a bloke)

Its more than mind buggling , it is scary as most of these folks may just end up in a position of leadership tomorrow and may just end up doing similar things.

He just spent approximately 100,000,000 Naira (One Hundred Million Naira) of Imo State money (that he says they dont have) to send 60 Students from Imo State University and Polytechnic on an all expense paid vacation to the U.S for 6 months, a trip that has no real long term benefit to the State whatsoever, and when I started questioning the benefits of the program with sound logical arguements, I was almost mugged.

Its like he took the word "National Cake" Literarily and has decided that he would share Imo States allocation to everybody piece by piece.

Well! What do you expect from a man who has a Court Jester comedian on/as part of his cabinet?!
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by manny4life(m): 4:12pm On Nov 02, 2011
Okija_juju:

Then transfer the money to something more tangible jor!! Build their freaking schools up!! Buy them gaddarn sports equipments!! I dont care, but you can give money to kids!!

The U.K dosent do it, The U.S dont either [/b]so where the Bleep is Rochas getting this crap from?!

Please before you start quoting something you're not aware of, please know what you're talking about. I quoted previously;

manny4life:

[b]Those who are in the U.S. should please petition Mayor Vincent Gray and ask him "why is it that the kids in the District receive stipends or bonus as they called it? Well I guess Michele Rhee (former commissioner of eduction for the district) will tell you that in fact, doing such has improved the grades of the student. The students want to learn more, they stay out of trouble and the whole load of (go figure) that comes with it.

Personally, I DO NOT support such; however, if people do claim it works for them, then hey. I'm no educationalist, perhaps, I have the slightest idea on the psychology on children education; yet, I wouldn't endorse it. Meanwhile, a good mix of residents endorsed the program, shocked shocked shocked . This goes to show you, either way though we might not agree on a policy, but if it does work, so be it.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by asedeygo: 4:13pm On Nov 02, 2011
An IceCream Bus would have been better every break period
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by PointB: 4:14pm On Nov 02, 2011
Okija_juju:

The U.K dosent do it, The U.S dont either so where the Bleep is Rochas getting this crap from?!

You have to crawl before you run. The most important thing is that the governed are at ease with these initiatives, and majority seems to give kudos to initiative. People who have experienced poverty know how far the least kobo can go.

A monthly food/transport subsidy of N100 per pupil is well targeted, and sustainable little gesture that will surely lure more students to school, without so much waste. And if the governor chooses  tomorrow to review it. All well and good.

Critics don't normally make the cut, when it comes to governance, we are all to well aware of that.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by jpphilips(m): 4:33pm On Nov 02, 2011
[b]i wonder if Nairalanders ever leave their comfort zone

Its rather difficult to understand, for someone abroad or in lagos enjoying the luxury of internet facilities will refer to 150bucks as chicken change not knowing that out of school children in a remote area called ASSA in Imo state, hawk sachet water, chewing stick and oranges for 13hrs with less than that as profit.

It can never be over emphasized that the foundation on which corruption is thriving is UNPATRIOTISM.
The Americans are as corrupt as Nigerians the only difference is that corrupt Americans are patriotic while their Nigerian counterparts are not hence he unleashes corruption with impunity. An example is this; An average Onitsha drug importer brings in fake drugs to Annihilate his own people sometimes his relatives fall victims while the Americans travel to far away Libya and Iraq to murder women and children thus securing cheaper Energy for their people.

A lot of us asked those questions while growing up; “what has the government ever done for us?” this question I was able to answer in part 15yrs on during my youth service. Perhaps In our naivety, the issue of subsidy and road projects etc doesn’t quickly come to mind after all we were no car owners.
Let me tell you, these children out of school take the risk of travelling miles on foot to either watch local football matches or gaming centers. Why not lure them to school

Talking about lunch, on the average, the school children love “okpa” for lunch which cost 5naira. The govt has guaranteed they get one okpa for 20 working days in a month trust me before the year runs out, the schools will run out of accommodation.

If you are still looking for reasons to applaud this step; ask yourself, what will the money be doing in the Govt coffers if not to be embezzled like they experienced with previous administrations?.

I once told a friend of mine in 2003 that if only the Govt can squeeze out 500USD for all Niger delta indigene monthly, I doubt if criminals like MEND, NDPVF etc will have a local standi. In the end we spent and we are still spending fortunes to keep them quiet. Ironically Goof luck is not giving anyone figures on “Militancy subsidy” this men could have laid down their lives protecting oil installations knowing they have something to lose blowing it up.

Yes, it is a good one because it will breed patriotism at a tender age after all the Govt will fool them that they are “chopping oil money” so they are now part of the Nigerians that have access to the National cake. The kids will love their country .I need not remind you that patriotism mitigates corruption

Secondly, they will seriously consider going to school just to get Govt money and free okpa for lunch, let us quit deceiving ourselves about Imo state having highest school leavers in the SE. I seriously doubt those ambiguous figures because I ve never met NOA people going to families to interview and get accurate findings. The figures are mere anecdotes, fabrication built on fallacy.

When I was doing a project in IMO state hundreds of kids below the age of 17 flock around my work site on daily bases looking for menial jobs, if in doubt drive a hilux or any company vehicle and stop at ASSA junction for 10mins, come here and still tell us they are all in school

Lastly and most importantly, the states that don’t pay stipends, what exactly are they doing with their money?

This is a psychological push perhaps that is why most people don’t understand it.

[/b]
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by PointB: 4:59pm On Nov 02, 2011
jp philips:

[b]i wonder if Nairalanders ever leave their comfort zone

Its rather difficult to understand, for someone abroad or in lagos enjoying the luxury of internet facilities will refer to 150bucks as chicken change not knowing that out of school children in a remote area called ASSA in Imo state, hawk sachet water, chewing stick and oranges for 13hrs with less than that as profit.

It can never be over emphasized that the foundation on which corruption is thriving is UNPATRIOTISM.
The Americans are as corrupt as Nigerians the only difference is that corrupt Americans are patriotic while their Nigerian counterparts are not hence he unleashes corruption with impunity. An example is this; An average Onitsha drug importer brings in fake drugs to Annihilate his own people sometimes his relatives fall victims while the Americans travel to far away Libya and Iraq to murder women and children thus securing cheaper Energy for their people.

A lot of us asked those questions while growing up; “what has the government ever done for us?” this question I was able to answer in part 15yrs on during my youth service. Perhaps In our naivety, the issue of subsidy and road projects etc doesn’t quickly come to mind after all we were no car owners.
Let me tell you, these children out of school take the risk of travelling miles on foot to either watch local football matches or gaming centers. Why not lure them to school

Talking about lunch, on the average, the school children love “okpa” for lunch which cost 5naira. The govt has guaranteed they get one okpa for 20 working days in a month trust me before the year runs out, the schools will run out of accommodation.

If you are still looking for reasons to applaud this step; ask yourself, what will the money be doing in the Govt coffers if not to be embezzled like they experienced with previous administrations?.

I once told a friend of mine in 2003 that if only the Govt can squeeze out 500USD for all Niger delta indigene monthly, I doubt if criminals like MEND, NDPVF etc will have a local standi. In the end we spent and we are still spending fortunes to keep them quiet. Ironically Goof luck is not giving anyone figures on “Militancy subsidy” this men could have laid down their lives protecting oil installations knowing they have something to lose blowing it up.

Yes, it is a good one because it will breed patriotism at a tender age after all the Govt will fool them that they are “chopping oil money” so they are now part of the Nigerians that have access to the National cake. The kids will love their country .I need not remind you that patriotism mitigates corruption

Secondly, they will seriously consider going to school just to get Govt money and free okpa for lunch, let us quit deceiving ourselves about Imo state having highest school leavers in the SE. I seriously doubt those ambiguous figures because I ve never met NOA people going to families to interview and get accurate findings. The figures are mere anecdotes, fabrication built on fallacy.

When I was doing a project in IMO state hundreds of kids below the age of 17 flock around my work site on daily bases looking for menial jobs, if in doubt drive a hilux or any company vehicle and stop at ASSA junction for 10mins, come here and still tell us they are all in school

Lastly and most importantly, the states that don’t pay stipends, what exactly are they doing with their money?

This is a psychological push perhaps that is why most people don’t understand it.

[/b]

You have said it all, Philip. Very insightful.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by ugosly(m): 5:13pm On Nov 02, 2011
A simple question for All you critique economic advisers and political analysts in the house,what do the states that dont pay such stipend do with their own money,or have u not heard that in the land of blind people the 1 eyed man is king?
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Image123(m): 5:19pm On Nov 02, 2011
Children's minimum wage. Soon, there'll be demand for an increase and more loopholds for campaign manifestos and corruption galore. Principal go declare 50000 pupils instead of 500, parent go declare 15children including dead relatives. He should re-channel the funds wisely.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by jpphilips(m): 5:31pm On Nov 02, 2011
Children's minimum wage. Soon, there'll be demand for an increase and more loopholds for campaign manifestos and corruption galore. Principal go declare 50000 pupils instead of 500, parent go declare 15children including dead relatives. He should re-channel the funds wisely.

In your opinion, because DANFO will do wrong parking Fashola shouldn't build roads? only if you collected stipends from your Gov. ur reasoning would have been better grin grin
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by EkoIle1: 5:35pm On Nov 02, 2011
@ JP.

Your assertions are not rooted in basic foundamentals of prudent governing and public administration. Your job as a public administrator is to govern with tax payers money, not to dish it out everyday like theres no tomorrow.

The best gift ever and the best method of promoting education is to spend your kobo on sustained educational infrastructure and better learning environment to not only help these kids get a better education, but to also sustain future generations.

Most importantly, if the governor had tabled this idea before the people of IMO state by asking the this simple question, what kind of answer do you think the people of IMO stage would have given?

The governor- We have some of your money to spend on education, but we need you to pick one.

Do you want a fully equipped school with better learning facilities for your kids or do you want us to instead dash your kids 100 naira every month?
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by EkoIle1: 5:43pm On Nov 02, 2011
jp philips:

In your opinion, because DANFO will do wrong parking Fashola shouldn't build roads? only if you collected stipends from your Gov. your reasoning would have been better grin grin

Very terrible analogy. Makes no sense either.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by clem2love(m): 5:49pm On Nov 02, 2011
GOING BY THE POST BY Kobojunkie.

SO WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT GIVING PAYMENT STIPEND TO SCHOOL CHILDREN, THAT IS NOT THE BASIC THING THE STATE NEEDS.

PROVIDE JOBS FOR THE JOBLESS P Kobojunkie
there is an adage which say " teach him how to fish and not how to eat fish" that is mre that the 120,100 what ever. please i persive the Governor some how relate to you please adive him to do something new
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by clem2love(m): 5:51pm On Nov 02, 2011
please note am not saying is a bad thing.
let other igbo specking state emulate something good like himsef think Bigger.

igbo kwenu !
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by kcjazz(m): 6:11pm On Nov 02, 2011
And who says Imo State has no lunch program already in place? Plus free uniforms and books?

There are unemployed folks who do not make up to 1800 in Nigera today. Truth is, if the Nigerian government gives out N1800 every year to unemployed folks, millions will queue up to collect.

At the end, no parents give their children money to go hussle, you give pocket money or stipend to teach kids values about savings/spending. If you don't value small, you can never do well with a million. I still insist 100 for kids in Imo is more valuable than a place like Lagos.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by jpphilips(m): 6:47pm On Nov 02, 2011
@ Eko ile

Your assertions are not rooted in basic foundamentals of prudent governing and public administration. Your job as a public administrator is to govern with tax payers money, not to dish it out everyday like theres no tomorrow.

How did you learn the basic fundamentals of prudent governing and public administration? you just sit and read textbooks to tell me what a grass root Administrator believes will work for his people, people that when he returned from the north was setting up philanthropic institutions even before he became a governor, he knows better that Hunger is in the land

Abi because America and Britain or France have not adopted it or Malthus skipped it in his economic formulation simply flaws it?
I put it to you that you don't know IMO people more than Rochas so stop whinning

The best gift ever and the best method of promoting education is to spend your kobo on sustained educational infrastructure and better learning environment to not only help these kids get a better education, but to also sustain future generations.

Who told you that? what do you know about Imo state and what gift is best for them? did he say infrastructural development is forgotten because he is paying stipends? this is a man that the Edifice he uses as his foundation is 5 schools in imo put together and you are lecturing him on Infrastructure, abeg preach to your pastor

Most importantly, if the governor had tabled this idea before the people of IMO state by asking the this simple question, what kind of answer do you think the people of IMO stage would have given?

The Gov. does not need to take permission from you before he rolls out his policies, until the kids reject the stipends then i will answer you.

The governor- We have some of your money to spend on education, but we need you to pick one.

Do you want a fully equipped school with better learning facilities for your kids or do you want us to instead dash your kids 100 naira every month?

Did he tell you that he is robbing peter to pay Paul? how did you come to the above conclusion that the Gov. is sacrificing infrastructures for stipends?

Are you an Albino? obviously you are seeing more characters than myself on the same piece
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Gbenge77(m): 7:01pm On Nov 02, 2011
Laudable
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by kingkoded: 7:46pm On Nov 02, 2011
Bleep all u sadist on Naira Land, id make it my personal duty to diss u motherfuckers, U have Governors who never had the courtesy of maskin their intentions for the state before this man, A 120N minimum might not change much in one life, but some one took a step in the right direction for the KIDS. Do u know how many dont go to schools cuz they cant feed. CCCuz u are on nairaland chattin aaway ur stupidity you cant see outside ur window, I aint sayin his was right , but that wasnt wrong for the sake of our KIDS.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by renewnaija(m): 7:55pm On Nov 02, 2011
This will encourage students to go to school, if not for anything for the money. Thats how it starts. The greatest gift you can give a people is not infrastructure but education. You all shud let Rochas be. Focus on your own state.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by aljharem3: 8:00pm On Nov 02, 2011
gists:

My brother, it is called misplaced priorities. The kids in the U.S district you talked about most likely have well equipped libraries, condusive classrooms and teachers' motivation is not even an issue for them. Most people will agree that we don't have such luxuries in public schools in this country. People are not saying he should not encourage students, but must it be with money? Nigeria is already a country where we have traded our values for money (in other words we no get shame again because of moni undecided ). Inducting pupils into the same culture at their tender ages is just suicidal for the nation. Besides is he not even discouraging them? Why go to school just to earn N100 a month when you can earn multiples of that in a day in owerri market.

I believe he can extend his philanthropist scholarship now that he is a governor, he can buy books not only to equip the libraries but for every pupil in public schools. School uniforms can be yearly if he so much want to encourage them. He can increase the teachers' salaries. You'll be amazed at the turn-out if sporting activities and other talent are being encouraged. There are many things he can do with the N100 (that will run to 100s of millions recurring expenditure every month)

This is not the same as handing them N100 every month. Do think the idea of free education can be actualized by dolling out N100 every month? Can that buy any book or even pay for transport for a week to the schools?

You do have a point, sorry I did not think of it critically as you did

That is why I always said

Rochas is a philanthropist

while fashola is a planner

I guess I have been vindicated now
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Image123(m): 9:49pm On Nov 02, 2011
It's 'interesting' some are actually promoting this. We need real progress in the country, not 100naira per month. I've passed through imo a few couple of times, the most conspicuous thing to me were the horrible roads and the young touts collecting money in many corners from cars and buses. Are those the people who need 100naira per month? If young people need money in that state, touting is more lucrative, no disrespect to indigenes. What does 100naira buy for a month? I'm not asking him to increase it. It's a good gesture but it's better and best that's needed. This is imo and 2011. He can invest it in their education like some have suggested. How about twelve 10million naira solid education standard institutions across the state, and then he offers it for free to indigenes. How about japanlike technical school projects. How about thinking ahead, and not just buying people with money for cheap. Is that really how cheap imo is? I mean, i have friends from there, didn't imagine the dream was so .
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by jpphilips(m): 9:58pm On Nov 02, 2011
I tell u what, Rochas is a rich man that understands poverty,

The first phase is to lure kids to school, i laugh @ peeps that think infrastructure is the answer,wetin concern small child with AC classroom that his guardians cant afford when the child can hawk sachet water and pocket 20bucks of his own? What is the fun in basic schooling without ''chop one''?

Look at rivers state for instance the Gov though commendable erected state of the art classrooms yet few people attend, he went a step further to employ teachers ,paid them reasonably yet no show. I heard the schools re free now

Rochas is just luring them to school at the very least the infrastructure will be utilized by pupils not spiders. He has to start somewhere and the move is commendble.

The rich will rather pay their tithe to wealthy pastors when their gatemen's children are out of school, bloody africans.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by PointB: 10:05pm On Nov 02, 2011
Image123:

It's 'interesting' some are actually promoting this. We need real progress in the country, not 100naira per month. I've passed through imo a few couple of times, the most conspicuous thing to me were the horrible roads and the young touts collecting money in many corners from cars and buses. Are those the people who need 100naira per month? If young people need money in that state, touting is more lucrative, no disrespect to indigenes. What does 100naira buy for a month? I'm not asking him to increase it. It's a good gesture but it's better and best that's needed. This is imo and 2011. He can invest it in their education like some have suggested. How about twelve 10million naira solid education standard institutions across the state, and then he offers it for free to indigenes. How about japanlike technical school projects. How about thinking ahead, and not just buying people with money for cheap. Is that really how cheap imo is? I mean, i have friends from there, didn't imagine the dream was so .

Whatever that means.

Here is Rochas answer nonetheless:

As at 2008, Imo State had about 1,296 Primary Schools. Because of proximity (of the schools) and age of pupils, the number will be maintained and our Government will spend between 8.5 and 9.2 Billion Naira over a period of four years; for the refurbishment of the said primary Schools to meet with today’s standard of learning environment.

The sounds like a well thought out plan.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by Challas(m): 10:07pm On Nov 02, 2011
If Rochas had pocketed this money,i doubt if there will be any room 4 all this analysis.This is a national cake and it should get 2 everybody no matter how small, Bankole,Danjuma Goje,Alao akala et al stashed this same 100 naira and 120 belonging 2 everybody into their foreign bank accounts and u guys are here castigating a man that is supposed 2 b praised, RIDE ON OWELLE ROCHAS OKOROCHA, thanks 4 teaching P.D.P how to do it, THIS MONEY IS 4 EVERYBODY AND NOT 4 SOME SELECTED POT-BELLIED FEW.
Re: Okorocha Begins Payment Of Stipend To School Children by gists: 10:45pm On Nov 02, 2011
renewnaija:

God bless Rochas.

This will encourage students to go to school, if not for anything for the money. Thats how it starts. The greatest gift you can give a people is not infrastructure but education.

You just provided a fresh perspective. Isn't their a possibility that the students the governor is trying to encourage only show up on pay days?? I mean out of 22 school days in a month, some could be smart enough to only come to school during the last week or about the day their national cake will be shared grin grin grin

renewnaija:

Do you know how many families will now benefit from Junior's N100 he gets from school?

Now seriously, I don't know if you really mean that or you are just being sarcastic. I hope its sarcasm cos N100/month is like N4.5/day (based on 22 school days in a month). Now I ask is transportation that cheap in Imo that N4.5 will take you to and from school?

If he is truly interested in encouraging student to go to school, suggestions have been given (since he seems to lack ideas) that will make even artisans come back to school. Why are we even worrying ourselves sef. Just occurred to me that you really can't expect much from a gov. that has turned governance into a joke. I mean this is a man that has a clown in his carbinet (Chief Comedian of the state), has created an office called SA Events (Ist Lady) and we are here debating N100/month encouragement allowance for pupil. hahahahaha I laff owelle grin grin grin grin

I'm out

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Lies And Propaganda Busted Again / Eid-el-kabir: Pensioners Praise Buhari For Early Payment Of August Pension / Court Freezes N350m Traced To Patience Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.