Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,342 members, 7,957,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 12:42 AM

FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria (9887 Views)

British Airway Plane Bursts Into Flames At Las Vegas Airport, 14 People Injured / Ethiopian Airlines To Start Flights To Enugu Airport / Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Madcow(m): 12:51pm On Nov 03, 2011
Great news!!!

If Arik W3 cannot get slots in Heathrow, BA should be moved to Calabar or Kano, LOL
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 03, 2011
This is a good move because I hate subtlety in any form or using other people's to your own advantage.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by ak47mann(m): 12:59pm On Nov 03, 2011
supported cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by blackpanda: 1:03pm On Nov 03, 2011
Claus:

I will comment on this based on the info I have and hope to be forgiven if I'm missing something here.

The rataliatory move by the Nigerian govt is wrong! The issue Arik had was that they could not get landing slots at Heathrow, one of the busiest airports in the world. Many other airlines face the same issue and work around it by utilising Gatwick, Stansted etc. Arik is not the only airline that has had problems getting slots at Heathrow.

The U.K. govt did not reduce the number of times that Arik (or any other Nigerian airline) can fly into the U.K. The previous agreement of 21 flights for each country still stands. This is a demand and supply issue. Heathrow is heavily oversubscribed, unlike the Lagos and Abuja airports. It will always be much easier for the British carriers to get a slot in Lagos/Abuja, than for a Nigerian carrier to get a slot at Heathrow. Someone rightly gave the example of how Virgin Nigeria used Gatwick, that is one way around it.

It's NOT the British govt's fault and it is not BA's fault; the retaliatory move is very short sighted.

Actually its this your comment that is more shortsighted. For months the british government has been announcing its desire to reduce the amount of nigerians coming into their country, so this recent move should not come as a surprise to anyone. The nigerian govt's position is simple: since u said we should not come into ur country, then pls dont come into ours either. So in other words "to ur tenth o israel"!
If our govt had kept quiet, its still shortsighted people like you that would have been screaming that GEJ is a weakling!
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:04pm On Nov 03, 2011
gists:

For the 1st time I have to clap for GEJ. It's long overdue to call the bluff of these western powers. I just hope it will be sustained as I am afraid they will chicken-out b4 we can blink our eyes to protect their foreign accounts.

I hope GEJ extend the same move to MTN (I heard they moved their HQ to Ghana- yet project fame is perpetually hosted by naija where the market really lies) Micheline, and other companies that have abandoned Nigeria for Ghana.

Abeg make dem commot for hia

Most of these guys say anything to deceive their competitors . . . u only do as they do for peril befalls u if u do as they say. . . Nestle said they were moving to Ghana but turned round the next minute to build a $120m factory in Sagamu.
Screw dem all!!!
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by mallorca(m): 1:15pm On Nov 03, 2011
Nice move
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Claus(m): 1:42pm On Nov 03, 2011
blackpanda:

Actually its this your comment that is more shortsighted. For months the british government has been announcing its desire to reduce the amount of nigerians coming into their country, so this recent move should not come as a surprise to anyone. The nigerian govt's position is simple: since u said we should not come into your country, then pls dont come into ours either. So in other words "to your tenth o israel"!
If our govt had kept quiet, its still shortsighted people like you that would have been screaming that GEJ is a weakling!

The British govt has been looking at reducing immigration in general, not just on Nigerian immigrants. If the Nigerian govt want to tackle that, its completely separate from who gets what landing slots at which airport.

You don't know my opinions on GEJ and my opinions about him are actually beside the point.

We've turned an issue about landing slots into one about how many flights their airline can have (bearing in mind the British govt did not reduce the number of flights for Nigerian airlines) and now into talk about immigration.

I called the MOVE by our govt shortsighted, you in turn decided to call ME shortsighted. There's absolutely no need for that and certainly no need for me to carry on a discussion with you.

Take the discussion to whatever level you want to.

I'M OUT!
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by blackpanda: 1:53pm On Nov 03, 2011
Claus:

The British govt has been looking at reducing immigration in general, not just on Nigerian immigrants. If the Nigerian govt want to tackle that, its completely separate from who gets what landing slots at which airport.

You don't know my opinions on GEJ and my opinions about him are actually beside the point.

We've turned an issue about landing slots into one about how many flights their airline can have (bearing in mind the British govt did not reduce the number of flights for Nigerian airlines) and now into talk about immigration.

I called the MOVE by our govt shortsighted, you in turn decided to call ME shortsighted. There's absolutely no need for that and certainly no need for me to carry on a discussion with you.

I'M OUT!

Shio, pls o, what planet do you live on?

How can u say there is no connection btw immigration and flying airlines? So what happens if you are granted a visa, yet there is not flight to carry you to your destination? What about people importing/ exporting goods? Dont even get me started on the amount of money spent by the govt on the aviation sector.
When i called you shortsighted, i didnt mean it as an insult- but obviously you really are not looking at this wholistically. All am saying is when you analyze the entire actions that britain has taken in recent times, even a blind person can see exactly what they are trying to do. Nigerians have simply said they will not play second fiddle this time. The BASA agreement was meant to foster economic as well as diplomatic ties with britain. If they choose to ignore it, we will not beg them. Our retaliation is therefore in order!

Gbam!
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by manny4life(m): 1:54pm On Nov 03, 2011
Claus:

[size=16pt]I'M OUT[/size]!

DEUCES!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Oh, btw don't let the door hit you on your way out   grin grin grin, you're probably an insider spy for BA. angry angry
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Guk: 2:13pm On Nov 03, 2011
@dancewith and @PHIPEX, i usually dont react directly to people's posting but i will an exception in these cases.

(1) Number 1, your comments in contrast to mine lack objectivity.

(2) You applaud a govt that has not done anything to promote the local airlines to succeed but rather to retaliate.

(3) Bellview had slots allocated to it during Summer season last year 2010, did they utilise the slots Is that the fault of the British govt??

Does it mean that because ARIk cannot compete successfully, then the succeeding ones should be slowed down??

please reason objectively before you respond to people's contribution.

Why did the govt single out BA alone and not slash Virging Atlantic's slots. Was it BA that denied them slots? BA might be the flag carrier airline of the United Kingdom but it is not owned by the British govt.

Slots are sold through a company called ACL who even have a Slot trader portal to make sale of slots transparent. I wait to hear ACL's own side of the story as all we are hearing is ARIK's.

Sometime in April 2011 when there was Temporarily Reduced Capacity, ACL made provision for all Airlines flying into Heathrow to slots on prorata basis.

And for those claiming that the British govt behave in a particular way, please how does ours behave Wonderfully Please, make your govt accountable and not blame others for your woes. We are where we are today by our own doing, Simple
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Guk: 2:20pm On Nov 03, 2011
For someone who has flown to and fro London from Ghana because the taxes are less than Nigeria's and paying less than =N=20k return on AERO to Ghana to connect those flights, BA will simple do deal with AERO & Air Nigeria, increase their slots to Ghana and move people seamlessly over the xmas period.

Ghana will benefit; Nigerians will travel with just a 45 minute inconvience; BA will continue to thrive; our politicians will still use BA 1st Class & uninformed ones on NL will keep hailing the politicians, what a shame!!!!
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 03, 2011
c as people dey yarn kpata here. For my place if u (FG ) see ur brother (ARIK ) they fight no ask who fight trouble or wetin the problem be, just join hand for the fight. Na when una don fight finish u go come ask ur brother (ARIK ) wetin be the real problem between you and BA. so all these people wey dey sey Arik air dey cry wolf make una go yash down na so una go dey one person go come carry una wife for head wey una dey negotiate peace.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by blackpanda: 2:32pm On Nov 03, 2011
Guk:

For someone who has flown to and fro London from Ghana because the taxes are less than Nigeria's and paying less than =N=20k return on AERO to Ghana to connect those flights, BA will simple do deal with AERO & Air Nigeria, increase their slots to Ghana and move people seamlessly over the xmas period.

Ghana will benefit; Nigerians will travel with just a 45 minute inconvience; BA will continue to thrive; our politicians will still use BA 1st Class & uninformed ones on NL will keep hailing the politicians, what a shame!!!!

You are lieing! From your analogy, BA will lose too. It will definitely not be smooth sailing for either countries, otherwise BA will not now be rushing to the negotiation table.

What they wanted initially was to create a monopoly for BA, hoping that the nigerian govt will remain mute as usual! But thank God they were wrong, and for once our govt has decided to stand up for us!

But obviously, most people like yourself dont ever want to make any sacrifice. Its people like you that are ready to swallow any form of humiliation no matter how horrible, hoping against hope that your exploters will suddenly turn a new leaf! I assure you, they cant try this with any other country. Over the years Nigeria has come to be reckoned internationally as a push-over. We've been constantly bullied over and over again. It is high time we begin to stand up for ourselves. South Africa will not have taken this lightly!
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Rhea(f): 2:37pm On Nov 03, 2011
When two governments/airlines fight, the passengers suffer.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by otokx(m): 3:04pm On Nov 03, 2011
There should be other ways of resolving these matters but let us watch and see.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by 1forall: 3:17pm On Nov 03, 2011
To those hailing the move by the Nigerian authorities, its a shame that many of the arguments here are just plain lame.

Guk described it as 'cutting one's nose to spite one's face' and couldn't be more right. I doubt those authorities thought the effects of their action through before announcing their cowardly move.

What concerns BA with Arik's problems? What would it have taken them to open negotiations with the British Authorities? Were any mediatory steps taken before they decided on the drastic action? I guess not, who in his right mind would compare London Heathrow with Lagos MM? shocked

If these guys (Min of Aviation, NCAA, FAAN) understood a bit more of the competition and politics of landing at Heathrow maybe they would have judged the situation better and made a smarter move instead. Even between BA and its local rivals Virgin Atlantic, a whole lot of politicking and tussling has transpired with the Heathrow slots. But I trust my people, no tact, no analysis, just straight 'abeg reduce their flights' action. In the current arrangement who needs who more?
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by mujila: 3:25pm On Nov 03, 2011
Some much ignorance on Nairaland! Lol
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by sweet9ja: 3:53pm On Nov 03, 2011
Madcow:

Great news!!!

If Arik W3 cannot get slots in Heathrow, BA should be moved to Calabar or Kano, LOL
Shikena.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Konnektions146(m): 3:56pm On Nov 03, 2011
1forall:

I trust my people, no tact, no analysis, just straight 'abeg reduce their flights' action. In the current arrangement who needs who more?

LWKMD, chei no be small thing ooooo!!!!
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by sweet9ja: 4:01pm On Nov 03, 2011
Guk:

You're assuming Kotoka has the capacity to absorb the extra flights. grin
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by sweet9ja: 4:12pm On Nov 03, 2011
1forall:

To those hailing the move by the Nigerian authorities, its a shame that many of the arguments here are just plain lame.

Guk described it as 'cutting one's nose to spite one's face' and couldn't be more right. I doubt those authorities thought the effects of their action through before announcing their cowardly move.

What concerns BA with Arik's problems? What would it have taken them to open negotiations with the British Authorities? Were any mediatory steps taken before they decided on the drastic action? I guess not, who in his right mind would compare London Heathrow with Lagos MM? shocked

If these guys (Min of Aviation, NCAA, FAAN) understood a bit more of the competition and politics of landing at Heathrow maybe they would have judged the situation better and made a smarter move instead. Even between BA and its local rivals Virgin Atlantic, a whole lot of politicking and tussling has transpired with the Heathrow slots. But I trust my people, no tact, no analysis, just straight 'abeg reduce their flights' action. In the current arrangement who needs who more?
In the early 80's, Malaysia, then a backwater in Asia, banned British goods and services, because of issues like this. Britain in the end, was forced to negotiate and deal with Malaysia on equal terms.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by mbulela: 4:17pm On Nov 03, 2011
mujila:

Some much ignorance on Nairaland! Lol
People are stating their views and you think calling them ignorant somehow makes you intelligent?
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by manny4life(m): 4:19pm On Nov 03, 2011
@1forall

But I trust my people, no tact, no analysis, just straight 'abeg reduce their flights' action. In the current arrangement who needs who more?

Please do us all a favor and just take a sleeping pill. You're asking who needs more? Like duh? Who do you think need more? BA or the Nigerian people? This is competition, if BA does not address this in a timely manner, this will hurt their business, no questions asked. Nigerians have always and WILL ALWAYS continue to find other alternative which I believe there are, deal with it. This is basic demand and supply; if the supply of BA falls, there will be more demand, other airlines will step up the plate and take the business. Airlines that have LHR as their hub will certainly be more than glad to do business. Now who do you think needs the other the most?
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Guk: 4:22pm On Nov 03, 2011
@sweet9ja, Sit down there and think other nations are waiting for you. Ghana has started converting their domestic terminal to accommodate increase in Airlines flying into Ghana. AERO's ticketing desk has been moved to the domestic terminal and a dividing wall on the 1st floor opened up to connect to the International Wing.

Virgin Atlantic started operations in Ghana just last year and i have been on flights to London with scores of Nigerians onboard who came to catch the flight from Lagos.

one of the reasons United started flying into Nigeria late last year was because a sizable number of their patrons were from Nigeria coming over to catch direct flight to Washington DC.

In 3rd week August this year, my AERO plane had over 100 Nigerian young adults who were going back to resume school in Ghana. A major indictment on our educational system & you people are busy hailing ignorant leaders sad
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 4:36pm On Nov 03, 2011
Nice one by the govt.

Guk:

@sweet9ja, Sit down there and think other nations are waiting for you. Ghana has started converting their domestic terminal to accommodate increase in Airlines flying into Ghana. AERO's ticketing desk has been moved to the domestic terminal and a dividing wall on the 1st floor opened up to connect to the International Wing.

Virgin Atlantic started operations in Ghana just last year and i have been on flights to London with scores of Nigerians onboard who came to catch the flight from Lagos.

one of the reasons United started flying into Nigeria late last year was because a sizable number of their patrons were from Nigeria coming over to catch direct flight to Washington DC.

In 3rd week August this year, my AERO plane had over 100 Nigerian young adults who were going back to resume school in Ghana. A major indictment on our educational system & you people are busy hailing ignorant leaders sad

Dude,
Don't be so dramatic. Aero, last I checked, was a Nigerian-owned airline.
And who even flies United, with their old cabin crew? They only pick up less than 30 passengers on average from Lagos. They take on their passengers for the IAD flight in Accra.
Compare to Delta that takes a full load from Lagos everyday to ATL. They have a different plane going to Accra. Why have they not started blowing guy?

We don't need BA on the route. Let them focus on Accra, Libreville, and the entire West African sub-region if they like. Other airlines have taken most of their traffic anyway. These days I fly Emirates to London sef.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by sweet9ja: 4:45pm On Nov 03, 2011
Guk:

My brother, I have nothing against our sister country, Ghana, developping, I only want to draw your attention to the fact that, Kotoka cannot handle the share volume of traffic that will supposedly move from MM. Moreover, Britain may not want escalate this very issue to affect the economic and diplomatic relationship it enjoys with Nigeria.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by manny4life(m): 5:03pm On Nov 03, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Nice one by the govt.

We don't need BA on the route. Let them focus on Accra, Libreville, and the entire West African sub-region if they like. Other airlines have taken most of their traffic anyway. These days I fly Emirates to London sef.

There goes option 1, fly Emirates. Emirates is a neat, decent airline. Nigerians don't need to be treated like sh/it for nothing, They don't need BA on Nigerian routes.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by 1forall: 5:57pm On Nov 03, 2011
manny4life:

@1forall

But I trust my people, no tact, no analysis, just straight 'abeg reduce their flights' action. In the current arrangement who needs who more?

Please do us all a favor and just take a sleeping pill. You're asking who needs more? Like duh? Who do you think need more? BA or the Nigerian people? This is competition, if BA does not address this in a timely manner, this will hurt their business, no questions asked. Nigerians have always and WILL ALWAYS continue to find other alternative which I believe there are, deal with it. This is basic demand and supply; if the supply of BA falls, there will be more demand, other airlines will step up the plate and take the business. Airlines that have LHR as their hub will certainly be more than glad to do business. Now who do you think needs the other the most?

Haven't you just goofed there ^? It was a rhetorical question and you didn't need to spend your time trying to answer. Address the matter on hand and while at it make a coherent argument. I'll unpick your feeble attempt at constructing one here, um. . . . on second thought I won't bother cos it's needless.

Just so you know, LHR is hub to 3 airlines and 2 already fly into Lagos. The third, BMI, will find it near impossible to operate the LHR-LOS route for many reasons one of which is it's owned by Lufthansa and would be seen as foreign competition on home ground. If they easily could, they wouldn't be renting their slots to Arik.

manny4life:

There goes option 1, fly Emirates. Emirates is a neat, decent airline.

Connecting thru Dubai is not comparable to flying direct.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by ideylaff: 6:36pm On Nov 03, 2011

What concerns BA with Arik's problems? What would it have taken them to open negotiations with the British Authorities? Were any mediatory steps taken before they decided on the drastic action? I guess not, who in his right mind would compare London Heathrow with Lagos MM?

will comment on this based on the info I have and hope to be forgiven if I'm missing something here.

The rataliatory move by the Nigerian govt is wrong! The issue Arik had was that they could not get landing slots at Heathrow, one of the busiest airports in the world. Many other airlines face the same issue and work around it by utilising Gatwick, Stansted etc. Arik is not the only airline that has had problems getting slots at Heathrow.

The U.K. govt did not reduce the number of times that Arik (or any other Nigerian airline) can fly into the U.K. The previous agreement of 21 flights for each country still stands. This is a demand and supply issue. Heathrow is heavily oversubscribed, unlike the Lagos and Abuja airports. It will always be much easier for the British carriers to get a slot in Lagos/Abuja, than for a Nigerian carrier to get a slot at Heathrow. Someone rightly gave the example of how Virgin Nigeria used Gatwick, that is one way around it.

It's NOT the British govt's fault and it is not BA's fault; the retaliatory move is very short sighted

Gok and a few people on here have their reasoning hats on big time, they are making some sense here. lets have a look b4 we have a go @ them,

The UK Government dont even have control over Heathrow,  Its a private company that runs the show there, its BAA,

Why 9ja Government come dey embarrass us with this knee jerk reaction as if its not the same Government officials that fly the BA to London route,

Pesin wey wan do yanga go get back up 1st , have we got a back up,

How many Government officials are ready to fly to Paris or Germany to get to London,  LOL,

Its a silly move by a Minister bn fed the wrong information with her overpaid aides,

You watch it all back fire,

Yes Id love us to stand up to Oyinbo's but its got to be done properly and in the right way,

Does BA even belong to the British Government, sef,
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by manny4life(m): 6:54pm On Nov 03, 2011
1forall:

Haven't you just goofed there ^? It was a rhetorical question and you didn't need to spend your time trying to answer. Address the matter on hand and while at it make a coherent argument. I'll unpick your feeble attempt at constructing one here, um. . . . on second thought I won't bother cos it's needless.

Just so you know, LHR is hub to 3 airlines and 2 already fly into Lagos. The third, BMI, will find it near impossible to operate the LHR-LOS route for many reasons one of which is it's owned by Lufthansa and would be seen as foreign competition on home ground. If they easily could, they wouldn't be renting their slots to Arik.

Connecting thru Dubai is not comparable to flying direct.

Well that puts us on the bottleneck of rhetoric, doesn't it? Your question wasn't posed as a rhetorical question; rhetorical questions are asked that it doesn't really have a definite answer or neither can you think of one. As for your question "In the current arrangement who needs who more?, I believe the question is direct (involving two parties) and has a definite answer depending on how you and I identify OUR logic. Any English person in house please validate my view on what a rhetorical question is? As you see my brother, it is rather YOU who have GOOFED up big time without knowing fully well what a rhetorical question is.

Dude, unless you are SLOW of some sought, I believe I have addressed the issue at hand aka we don't need BA. How else do you want me to read my views to you? If my post wasn't coherent enough for you; I explained for you how basic supply and demand affects this decision, then I'm SORRY to burst  your bubble that it isn't your fault that you do not understand basic economics and how it affects competition. undecided undecided

I'm glad how you have taken a wise step indeed to remove yourself from an argument that you cannot handle.---way to go
Well there you go ---three airlines that have major hubs at LHR, while two already fly into Lagos (including BA), well that tells you that that there's the opportunity for the other one to deploy more fleet and gain the market share. Airlines have alliances, they code share anyways, and for BMI, that they chose to rent their slots for their own reasons; besides, you haven't given any reason other that it would be seen as foreign competition on home ground,

Dude, you haven't given me any reasons why an international airline such as Lufthansa that have subsidiary airlines should not apply that aircraft on that route; it's their slots, where, what how and when they fly is strictly their business. If there's no airline frequenting Nigeria and London, how should that affect other airlines? So for instance if Emirates decide to fly ---every Wed and Friday, LHR (inbound) Tues and Thurs LOS (inbound), I guess that will pose as foreign competition right? . What I'm trying to say is that there is no international Aviation Law (I stand to be corrected) that states that airlines MUST STOP at their home country or otherwise.

Here is my OPINION , if worse comes to worse,

A. Other airlines will approach Arik air, offer them a better code share agreement, they will be guaranteed slot at LHR, both airlines will benefit from the agreement OR

B. We have an airline that might decide to brave the cost if the revenue and profit is there; they will decide to make scheduled stops at LHR to and fro from Nigeria.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by 1forall: 7:23pm On Nov 03, 2011
Ah why apply so much effort on this matter?

U come expose yourself like this for public :-|

Try Proverbs 17:28 and take it in the best way.

Hope it helps.

lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Working Class Beggers In Owerri Int'l Airport / Renewal Of Nigeria Passport , UK / Air Nigeria Suspends Operations And Sacks Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.