Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,117 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria (9757 Views)

British Airway Plane Bursts Into Flames At Las Vegas Airport, 14 People Injured / Ethiopian Airlines To Start Flights To Enugu Airport / Fg's Reduction Of British Airways Flights To Nigeria Generates Ripples (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by ak47mann(m): 7:33pm On Nov 03, 2011
law is law UK govt should respect our laws because if it was the other way round it British govt will quickly act with no mercy cool cool
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by manny4life(m): 7:45pm On Nov 03, 2011
1forall:

Ah why apply so much effort on this matter?

U come expose yourself like this for public :-|

Try Proverbs 17:28 and take it in the best way.

Hope it helps.

lipsrsealed

LOL, grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy words of a [size=30pt]WEAKLING![/size] Why am I not surprised? Do you have to call the Bible to help your point out? Well, at least since I'm the foolish one, and you're the wise one; I recommend 1 Cor 1:27, at least that should do the consoling for you. Oh btw with regards to so much effort on this matter, well the simple fact maybe I just dislike BA, does that sound like enough reason for you? embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by ifysoft: 8:44pm On Nov 03, 2011
Good for BA,  I knew someday they would have issues after depriving travel agents from the normal Commission they should get after getting passengers for them,   KARMA.  tongue tongue tongue, The whole London people dey do anyhow, Cameron, dey do anyhow, Iya charlie, dey do anyhow, Nigerians sef where dey live there, dey do anyhow tooo, lets just Delete anything involving UK from Nigeria fully,
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by BigMeat2: 10:08pm On Nov 03, 2011
this will have a business impact on both countries in the long run, remember then 1996 fiasco when Abacha was in charge
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 10:29pm On Nov 03, 2011
ANother stupid thinking of our leaders, was this decission made on the basis of demand and supply?now that they have been restricted to 3 times a week this automatically means the fare would go up na wah
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Jackbawer: 10:41pm On Nov 03, 2011
let them renegotiate the BASA agreement again chikena.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by OmoTier1(m): 10:45pm On Nov 03, 2011
Very good move by the FG. To take it a step further, BA winter schedule to Nigeria SHOULD NOT BE APPROVED until ARIK AIR's RIGHT under the BASA to land and take off to Abuja from heathrow is fully restored.

Further, the FG should commence price fixing and manipulation by both BA and Virgin Atlantic on the LOS-LHR and ABV -LHR routes and they should be made to explain why thier tickets are some 30% cheaper in Ghana than in Nigeria!

To those claiming Arik is crying foul 'cos it can not compete. I guess you are completely ignorant of Arik load factor on LOS-LHR. Before the Heathrow-Abuja landing/take off saga began, Arik Abuja load factor was beginning to grow at a very decent rate! Looking at Arik's plane on LOS-LHR, an Airbus A340-500 (formerly owned by King fisher of India) is by far newer and state of the art when compared to BA's latest which is boeing B777-300ER. Same goes for Arik's B737 on the ABV-LHR route. As per Customer service, BA is worse than Arik, you just need to go see what they make Nigeria bound passengers go through in T5 at Heathrow.

As far as 'm concerned, Virgin Atlantic is a fraud. Flown them once on LOS-LHR route and never again! The are the experts in price fixing, oh recall thier fuel surcharge scam with BA on UK-US routes?

Let me also say that ARIK AIR flying to Gatwick is not an option! Is like asking BA to redirect thier Lagos bound to Ogun! Arik has a RIGHT under the current BASA to land at Heathrow from both Lagos and Abuja  and it is the responsibility of the UK Civil aviation authorities to ensure those landing slots are made available! The UK were not blind when they signed that BASA agreement and equally so, they should honour it!

Enough of UK's flagrant disregard for gentleman's agreement. If they fail to address Arik's landing slot issue, then suspen Virgin flight into Nigeria and allow only BA 3 slots to Lagos only! If any body thinks Nigerians will be the ones to suffer I tell thats absolutely untrue! LOS - LHR is one of the most lucrative flight routes in the world and a big earner for BA especially during the winter, hence BA will be hit hard financially botj items of revenues and dues!
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 12:45am On Nov 04, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Very good move by the FG. To take it a step further, BA winter schedule to Nigeria SHOULD NOT BE APPROVED until ARIK AIR's RIGHT under the BASA to land and take off to Abuja from heathrow is fully restored.

Further, the FG should commence price fixing and manipulation by both BA and Virgin Atlantic on the LOS-LHR and ABV -LHR routes and they should be made to explain why thier tickets are some 30% cheaper in Ghana than in Nigeria!

To those claiming Arik is crying foul 'cos it can not compete. I guess you are completely ignorant of Arik load factor on LOS-LHR. Before the Heathrow-Abuja landing/take off saga began, Arik Abuja load factor was beginning to grow at a very decent rate! Looking at Arik's plane on LOS-LHR, an Airbus A340-500 (formerly owned by King fisher of India) is by far newer and state of the art when compared to BA's latest which is boeing B777-300ER. Same goes for Arik's B737 on the ABV-LHR route. As per Customer service, BA is worse than Arik, you just need to go see what they make Nigeria bound passengers go through in T5 at Heathrow.

As far as 'm concerned, Virgin Atlantic is a fraud. Flown them once on LOS-LHR route and never again! The are the experts in price fixing, oh recall thier fuel surcharge scam with BA on UK-US routes?

Let me also say that ARIK AIR flying to Gatwick is not an option! Is like asking BA to redirect thier Lagos bound to Ogun! Arik has a RIGHT under the current BASA to land at Heathrow from both Lagos and Abuja  and it is the responsibility of the UK Civil aviation authorities to ensure those landing slots are made available! The UK were not blind when they signed that BASA agreement and equally so, they should honour it!

Enough of UK's flagrant disregard for gentleman's agreement. If they fail to address Arik's landing slot issue, then suspen Virgin flight into Nigeria and allow only BA 3 slots to Lagos only! If any body thinks Nigerians will be the ones to suffer I tell thats absolutely untrue! LOS - LHR is one of the most lucrative flight routes in the world and a big earner for BA especially during the winter, hence BA will be hit hard financially botj items of revenues and dues!

guy aint we all missing the point, who owns heathrow and the rights to land space and slots, is it not BAA? teh BAA has nothing to do with the UK government, they are owned by share holders but our airport is owned by the FG so is it possible for our govt to negotiate with a public company in the UK?
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by OmoTier1(m): 9:26am On Nov 04, 2011
erico2k2:

guy aint we all missing the point, who owns heathrow and the rights to land space and slots, is it not BAA? teh BAA has nothing to do with the UK government, they are owned by share holders but our airport is owned by the FG so is it possible for our govt to negotiate with a public company in the UK?
What you are missing out is this: The UK government signed the BASA agreement and it is within her powers to make sure the agreement is not violeted either by any government agency/department or any private entity so reside in the UK!

The UK government can not claim not to have knowledge of the fact that BAA was violating the BASA agreement even after Arik protested to CAA. But as usual, and mainly because the UK stands to gain more from it, the UK government decided to pay blind eye to it.

But I am very sure with the action taken by the FG, the UK government will be force to act.

Again, the FG should go step further to sanction both BA & Virgin and also carry out an investigation into thier allege price fixing on the LOS-LHR and ABV-LHR routes.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 10:33am On Nov 04, 2011
I can't stand BA. Silly airline, with their condescending cabin crew. Zero value for money always.
My worst trips have always been on BA flights.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Guardian(m): 12:17pm On Nov 04, 2011
I applaud the courage with which the Nigerian team acted. If only they performed same way on other more disturbing issues such as Labour and business practice, Nigerians would have a fair share and gain better treatment as well as respect.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Konnektions146(m): 1:32pm On Nov 04, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

broda abi sista, yu make so much sense, never knew the Nigeria/Ghana fare difference is really true , imagine that nonsense, its a total rip off, i know they wont allow this linger for a long time, this period is a big boom for them and they can`t risk the revenue that`s supposed to accrue to them.
as i said earlier, Nigeria is a heavy market for them and can`t jeopardize it, lets watch and see how it plays out but they really need us, Shikina!!!
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by blackpanda: 3:11pm On Nov 04, 2011
erico2k2:

I dont understand this your stupid support for an organisation/government that is clearly oppressing you. Are you a donkey or what?
What is your business with who controls what in a foreign man's land? Why make up unecessary excuses for them, when they havent even put forward that excuse to your govt? Abi are you an agent for the british government? Until they tie physical shackles on your hands before your two okpolo eyes will open!

mtscheeeew! Nonsense!!
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Guk: 5:05pm On Nov 04, 2011
Now, am totally convinced that a lot of responders here are educated illiterates who are also too lazy to do simple investigation even with google at their disposal.

This is a move i can never support because it is repugnant and also business disincentive.

(1) Flight is cheaper from Ghana to London. Why is it cheaper?? The tax collected by the Nigerian govt make our tickets more expensive.

(2) BASA allows for 21 flights each to fly in UK and Nigeria. It does not choose the Airport for u. BA used to fly to Kano a few years ago. UK Airlines are fully utilising their 21 slots. Nigeria is not! Who's fault is that
Nigeria claims that it is unfair & will review it. (Likely downwards) I cant begin to list stupidity of such action. What happens if ARIK; AERO; DANA; AIR Nigeria, suddenly can utilise the 21 slots but you have reduced it to spite the British carriers and you cant review until the next review date. You kill your own peoples business.

(3) ACL annually, openly and transparently auction slots to fly into Heathrow via slottrader portal. All airlines bid, there is no mago mago. ARIK, like so many other airlines cant get exactly what they want, they then have to buy in the secondary market. Pure business sense tells u, dont overbid if your passenger load cannot sustain it.(Ask HITV ala EPL)

(4) Gatwick Airport is an alternative. Lots of Airlines use it and bus their passengers to Heathrow at no extra cost. A nigerian is the CEO of Gatwick Airport, maybe he might listen to Stella Oduah's charm.

(5) Local contractors will have their businesses affected by the reduction in flight which may in turn lead to redundancy.

(6) The in flight food provider quoted on our Stock exchange will lose out "minimally"

(7) We are signatories to a number of Airline conventions. You dont just wake up and flagrantly violate them because ARIK loses slots it cant economically sustain. It show an irresponsible govt

(cool Its an embarrassment to Segun Aganga Min of Trade and Investment who is trying to woo foreign investors. One of the major hinderances to foreign investment in Nigeria is banana republic type of action just taken. Inconsistent policies; Flagrant violation of laid down rules etc

(9) Stella Oduah and ARIK have created a diplomatic mess for Foreign Affairs minister to clean up

(10) Shows how incapable GEJ is as an Administrator. You dont allow your surbodinates to go around embarrassing your govt and nation like this.

(11) For those refering to and hailing Abacha's action then, SHAME on you. Its either you dont know what happened, which is no excuse or you are just plain ignorant. For your info. The British Airport Authority back then denied Nigeria Airways landing rights at Heathrow simply because they did not meet minimum standards. They had been given enough time to work on their aircrafts but chose not to & Nigeria Airways was not the only Airline denied. In retaliation Abacha banned British Airways for 2 years. It was an unhailed move. The eductated; literate and well informed also do not hail this present action. Its an irresponsible one that throws up our thinking as a nation
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:27pm On Nov 04, 2011
Guk:

Now, am totally convinced that a lot of responders here are educated illiterates who are also too lazy to do simple investigation even with google at their disposal.

This is a move i can never support because it is repugnant and also business disincentive.

(1) Flight is cheaper from Ghana to London. Why is it cheaper?? The tax collected by the Nigerian govt make our tickets more expensive.

(2) BASA allows for 21 flights each to fly in UK and Nigeria. It does not choose the Airport for u. BA used to fly to Kano a few years ago. UK Airlines are fully utilising their 21 slots. Nigeria is not! Who's fault is that
Nigeria claims that it is unfair & will review it. (Likely downwards) I cant begin to list stupidity of such action. What happens if ARIK; AERO; DANA; AIR Nigeria, suddenly can utilise the 21 slots but you have reduced it to spite the British carriers and you cant review until the next review date. You kill your own peoples business.

(3) ACL annually, openly and transparently auction slots to fly into Heathrow via slottrader portal. All airlines bid, there is no mago mago. ARIK, like so many other airlines cant get exactly what they want, they then have to buy in the secondary market. Pure business sense tells u, dont overbid if your passenger load cannot sustain it.(Ask HITV ala EPL)

(4) Gatwick Airport is an alternative. Lots of Airlines use it and bus their passengers to Heathrow at no extra cost. A nigerian is the CEO of Gatwick Airport, maybe he might listen to Stella Oduah's charm.

(5) Local contractors will have their businesses affected by the reduction in flight which may in turn lead to redundancy.

(6) The in flight food provider quoted on our Stock exchange will lose out "minimally"

(7) We are signatories to a number of Airline conventions. You dont just wake up and flagrantly violate them because ARIK loses slots it cant economically sustain. It show an irresponsible govt

(cool Its an embarrassment to Segun Aganga Min of Trade and Investment who is trying to woo foreign investors. One of the major hinderances to foreign investment in Nigeria is banana republic type of action just taken. Inconsistent policies; Flagrant violation of laid down rules etc

(9) Stella Oduah and ARIK have created a diplomatic mess for Foreign Affairs minister to clean up

(10) Shows how incapable GEJ is as an Administrator. You dont allow your surbodinates to go around embarrassing your govt and nation like this.

(11) For those refering to and hailing Abacha's action then, SHAME on you. Its either you dont know what happened, which is no excuse or you are just plain ignorant. For your info. The British Airport Authority back then denied Nigeria Airways landing rights at Heathrow simply because they did not meet minimum standards. They had been given enough time to work on their aircrafts but chose not to & Nigeria Airways was not the only Airline denied. In retaliation Abacha banned British Airways for 2 years. It was an unhailed move. The eductated; literate and well informed also do not hail this present action. Its an irresponsible one that throws up our thinking as a nation

To be honest, this dude makes strong points.
But I still hate BA sha grin

Well, the parties involved are back to the drawing board. They will work something out I guess. All na government shakara.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Guardian(m): 6:39pm On Nov 04, 2011
Guk:

(11) For those refering to and hailing Abacha's action then, SHAME on you. Its either you dont know what happened, which is no excuse or you are just plain ignorant. For your info. The British Airport Authority back then denied Nigeria Airways landing rights at Heathrow simply because they did not meet minimum standards. They had been given enough time to work on their aircrafts but chose not to & Nigeria Airways was not the only Airline denied. In retaliation Abacha banned British Airways for 2 years. It was an unhailed move. The educated; literate and well informed also do not hail this present action. Its an irresponsible one that throws up our thinking as a nation

You have valid points. But the real deal is.  The Brits know Nigerian airline are unable to compete and have schemed well enough to make us loose out. This issue is not about if or why or whether fares in Nigeria cost more due to high Tax rate in Nigeria. It's a sentimental issue of BA enjoying wonderful business from Nigeria, it's British  and British authorities responsible for Airport slot management are not giving a helping hand to Arik to grow and become a competition to BA.

On the issue of High Fares. Yes you are correct. But It's not the Federal Govt. I bet Jonathan has no business with it. It's the damn Airport management agency !!! and the office of the Minister. Swear at them and give them a good beating to turn their heads around. It's one of their cash cows. Nigerian Airport management is like Agbero to moto park, They are ready to die in office becos of the money they make that never get's ploughed back into fixing airport let alone upgrade.

On the issue of investors. Forget your logic. If you like grudge Naija Government meddling in private sector matter be it Airtel issue or even this Arik brohaha. It's not a deterrent.
The Oyinbo's would still que to get a Visa to Naija, Land 9aija in spite of security warnings, Milk and funnel back to their home base.

The real factors limiting investment is basic lack of core infrastructure. Not business policies. That can be ironed out much later and easily.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by TomFord: 6:44pm On Nov 04, 2011
How can people say BA will not loose?considering the holiday period around they stand to be aversely affected.besides their monopoly is something else thank God for VA
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Guk: 7:22pm On Nov 04, 2011
@Tom Ford, i like your Jasmin Rouge Perfume but at that price, it must be for deep pockets
http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Tom-Ford/Jasmin-Rouge-12765.html
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by aribisala0(m): 7:50pm On Nov 04, 2011
Guk:

can you back this claim up with facts and figures . i don't know whether this is true but have you got evidence??

Guk:
british airways have always had an unfair advantage not just over foreign airlines but even over virgin

Guk:

actually you do everyone does it that is the realpolitik of international trade. the Brits have been doing it ever since the Maxim gun was invented.

(10) Shows how incapable GEJ is as an Administrator. You dont allow your surbordinates to go around embarrassing your govt and nation like this.

nothing embarassing there. protectionism is a tool that westen nations use everyday.
it is important to let people know that you can bark and bite as well. at any rate the Brits are only interested in low risk high reward businesses in Nigeria. it is the chinese we need to attract not them.

(11) For those refering to and hailing Abacha's action then, SHAME on you. Its either you dont know what happened, which is no excuse or you are just plain ignorant. For your info. The British Airport Authority back then denied Nigeria Airways landing rights at Heathrow simply because they did not meet minimum standards. They had been given enough time to work on their aircrafts but chose not to & Nigeria Airways was not the only Airline denied. In retaliation Abacha banned British Airways for 2 years. It was an unhailed move. The eductated; literate and well informed also do not hail this present action. Its an irresponsible one that throws up our thinking as a nation [quote][/quote]

many of us here supporting the move are reasonably literate
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 3:42pm On Nov 05, 2011
hha 9ja sha
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 3:44pm On Nov 05, 2011
Guk:

Thank you oh jare, some people are just timmid and just have to blame someone else for mistakes we generated, talking of ghana they have ghana air ways, where have our own national carrier gone?
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 3:47pm On Nov 05, 2011
@GUk
do you also note that those low cost Airlines cant afford to fly from Heathrow cos the taxes are usualy higher?going to anywhere in teh EU I would fly from gatwick or stanstead.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 3:50pm On Nov 05, 2011
Tom Ford:

How can people say BA will not loose?considering the holiday period around they stand to be aversely affected.besides their monopoly is something else thank God for VA
erm it would be worth to mention that its not just Nigerians who travel dusing these seasons, thier yankee london route is busier than UK 9ja just saying, but in all they gonna loss at some point but I dont think this is a politicaly correct decission, these shouldhave been left to market forces dont you think so?
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 3:59pm On Nov 05, 2011
erico2k2:

erm it would be worth to mention that its not just Nigerians who travel dusing these seasons, thier yankee london route is busier than UK 9ja just saying, but in all they gonna loss at some point  but I dont think this is a politicaly correct decission, these shouldhave been left to market forces dont you think so?

Nah, not market forces.
Let them adjust to the new regime, and fly only three times a week. Then we won't complain about Arik's 14 slots.
They can send their planes to the US like you said. Fine by us.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 4:02pm On Nov 05, 2011
blackpanda:

I dont understand this your silly support for an organisation/government that is clearly oppressing you. Are you a donkey or what?
What is your business with who controls what in a foreign man's land? Why make up unecessary excuses for them, when they havent even put forward that excuse to your govt? Abi are you an agent for the british government? Until they tie physical shackles on your hands before your two okpolo eyes will open!

mtscheeeew! Nonsense!!
1st and formost, I happen to be in a position where I have used both airlines and you aint.2nd you r an embarassment to yourself and your type,could you not construct a line of argument without hurlling abusses??(this shows educated illitracy) I dont think you know anything about UK or BA or even BAA,you where flounting your ignorance by asking me what was my Biz whit who controls what in a foreign man's land  lol now I live in teh Uk  and have beeen for the past 15 years so thats your answer cos I travel 4 times a year to n fro 9ja.You where asking why I support who know what while they aint put 4ward any xcuse to your govt.Well let me enlighten you a lil bit or rather school you, BA is owned by BAA which is a private company  and owned by share holders,BAA owns BA,almost all the Airports in the UK, as we speak 2day they are gonna buy BMI deal would be done by 2nite,Now the slots for landing is auctioned.Arik and everyone else are in strong competition from airlines  like all the airlines from the USA,Japan,Germany you name it, now where do they arik stand a chance when they are increasing their taxes.hence the price to fly by Arik went up is £600 and above while I managed to get the german carrrier to take me to lagos for £350 return.BA has more laugage room than Arik so thier aim of reducing the slot for Arik is purly due to mkt forces and this was not done by BA it was done by BAA(British Airport Authority) that owns loads of airlines  not just BA, and also owns loads of Airports too, but in our own case our govt chose to reduce thier slot by thinking it would force BAA to change thier minds  lol so is FAA not gonna ose the regular income they get in taxes from BA?
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 4:05pm On Nov 05, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Nah, not market forces.
Let them adjust to the new regime, and fly only three times a week. Then we won't complain about Arik's 14 slots.
They can send their planes to the US like you said. Fine by us.
my guy it is, go check you will see that the cheapest fairs with BA are not from Heathrow airport even to same destination, market forces determin what goes up and down in prices in this country not just one's mind set, over here people think of other b4 they change things
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by Iretia(m): 6:24pm On Nov 14, 2011

[quote][/quote]

Well, this is nonsense!!
The Bilateral agreement was signed between 2 countries. If the British govt decided to appoint a private company to manage the landing slot arrangement on its behalf, that is entire their prerogative. Nigeria however decided not to appoint a private company to manage its own side of the agreement. The point is both countries have their different but unique styles of managing landing slots. Either of them must not use its style of slot management as an excuse to contravene the spirit of that agreement.

Elbowing out of Arik Air from Heathrow due to the influence of market forces is entirely acceptable however reducing BA's landing slot in Lagos due to the influence of People's force is also acceptable. This means that both market forces and people forces are acceptable methods for managing the agreement. The British Govt has no moral justification to criticise Nigerian’s decision to use People’s force to manage its own side of the agreement.

And those who think it was generally unfair targeting BA for the sins of the British govt could be right, I mean why visit the sins of the father on the child? But why was it reported that British Govt was concerned about the reduction of BA's slots?

So what makes it right for the British govt to intervene when BA's landing slot was reduced to 3 and a mortal sin for the Nigerian govt to intervene when Arik Air was disadvantaged by the use of the private TRANSPARENT method by the British Govt to manage the bilateral agreement?
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by aribisala0(m): 7:22pm On Nov 14, 2011
IT IS WELL established in the literature that in africa where a father offends you may respond by JAZZING (bewitching) his children there are no statutes of limitation. THAT's HOW WE ROLL
we have different ways of doing things internationally.
if you sign an agreement knowing fully well that you cannot deliver that is fraudulent.
there is an agreement between two nations and that is all there is to it from our persepective. we are not interested in how you deliver just do it. if you do not you are in breach.
it is not mandatory for nigerians to fly directly into the UK. for those naive Uncle Toms here i suggest you find out more about the politics of aviation.
i agree that Nigerian airlines need to raise their game BUT our failure to do so should not mean we be taken for mugs. if in the end Nigerian airlines can't compete we should impose windfall taxes on BA so their profits in Nigeria do not exceed their overall average.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by sexylogan(m): 12:52pm On Nov 16, 2011
I want to see how this eventually plays out.
Re: FG Slashes British Airway's Flights To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 1:00am On Nov 17, 2011
Iretia:

Well, this is nonsense!!
The Bilateral agreement was signed between 2 countries. If the British govt decided to appoint a private company to manage the landing slot arrangement on its behalf, that is entire their prerogative. Nigeria however decided not to appoint a private company to manage its own side of the agreement. The point is both countries have their different but unique styles of managing landing slots. Either of them must not use its style of slot management as an excuse to contravene the spirit of that agreement.

Elbowing out of Arik Air from Heathrow due to the influence of market forces is entirely acceptable however reducing BA's landing slot in Lagos due to the influence of People's force is also acceptable. This means that both market forces and people forces are acceptable methods for managing the agreement. The British Govt has no moral justification to criticise Nigerian’s decision to use People’s force to manage its own side of the agreement.

And those who think it was generally unfair targeting BA for the sins of the British govt could be right, I mean why visit the sins of the father on the child? But why was it reported that British Govt was concerned about the reduction of BA's slots?

So what makes it right for the British govt to intervene when BA's landing slot was reduced to 3 and a mortal sin for the Nigerian govt to intervene when Arik Air was disadvantaged by the use of the private TRANSPARENT method by the British Govt to manage the bilateral agreement?

So guy you still going on with this argument, anyway what private company was appionted by the british government to manage teh landing slot? and just enlighten me on where to read or give me an extract for this agreement that was signed into law plzzI think the british govt where concerned cos its a govt of a nation who cut short the landing slot of thier national carrier and not some PLC,
PS there are loads of airlines that where maginalized from landing at Heathrow.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can Some One Explain How 3months Dubai Visa Can Be Issue / Dana Air Denies Paying Celebrities To Board Flight / Ahead Of 2019 Lagos City Marathon On Saturday: Alternative Routes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.