Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,471 members, 7,836,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k (17106 Views)

May Day: NLC Rejects 35% Pay Rise, Insists On Living Wage / May Day: I’ll Pay Workers Living Wage — Tinubu / "Minimum Wage Should Vary From State To State" - Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by bennybuhari: 11:31am On May 01
Joe Ajaero, president of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), says the federal government’s announcement of a pay rise for civil servants is mischievous.

On Tuesday, the federal government approved a pay rise of between 25 and 35 percent for civil servants across various consolidated salary structures.

Speaking on Wednesday during an interview on Sunrise Daily, a Channels Television programme, Ajaero said the last minimum wage of N30,000 expired on April 18.

“We should be in the regime of new minimum wage as of today. Discussions were supposed to have been concluded
,” Ajaero said.

“The federal government through the national assembly legislated on it. But we saw that the discussion entered voice mail because the federal government refused to reconvene the meeting that was adjourned.

I think the announcement now appears mischievous because there is no wage increase that government is announcing. For them to announce it now, it is an issue that we are worried about at the NLC and even at the TUC.”

BREAKDOWN OF LIVING WAGE

Ajaero further said organised labour has agreed on N615,000 as the living wage for civil servants.

Living wage is such that will, at least keep you alive. It is not a wage that will make you poor and poorer. It is not a wage that will make you borrow to go to work. It is not a wage that will lead you to be in the hospital everyday because of malnutrition. For that living wage, we have tried to look at N615,000,” he added.

“Let me give you a breakdown of how we arrived at that figure. We have housing and accommodation of N40,000. We asked for electricity of N20,000 — of course that was before the current tariff increase. Nobody can spend this amount currently. We have utility that is about N10,000. We looked at kerosene and gas that is about N25,000 to N35,000.

“We looked at food for a family of six, that is about N9,000 in a day. For 30 days, that is about N270,000. Look at medical, N50,000 provided there will be no surgery or whatever.

“For clothing, we looked at N20,000. For education, N50,000. I don’t know for those who tried to put their children in private school, they will not be able to cope with this amount. We also have sanitation of N10,000.

“I think where we have another bulk of the money is transportation. This is because the workers stay in the fringes and because of the cost of PMS, that amounted to N110,000.

That brought the whole living wage to N615,000 and I want anyone to subject this to further investigation and find out whether there will be any savings when you pay somebody on this rate.”

https://www.thecable.ng/ajaero-fgs-35-pay-rise-mischievous-living-wage-should-be-n615k/

13 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by Christistruth00: 11:34am On May 01
This man need to resign and fully join Politics instead

He is not a Good Labour Leader

75 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by seyits: 11:38am On May 01
The figure sounds like the man is joking.

This current NLC president has a lot to learn from Adams Oshomole Labour congress

18 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by SoNature(m): 12:21pm On May 01
Joe Ajaero isn't being reasonable. If Nigeria starts paying workers what he wants, it means that government will even borrow money to pay salaries while everything else is abandoned.

The biggest illusion we have in this country is to think that Nigeria is a rich country. I don't know how a country that budgets less than $50 billion for one year for 220 million people is rich. To date, I don't know what we are doing with two legislative houses.

Anyways, NLC and TUC should ask for something that is sustainable. Those who earn less than 100k should get 100% pay raise and those who earn more than 100% should get 50% pay raise.

62 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by WeddingParol: 1:12pm On May 01
This guy is a comedian.

No wonder Mama Peace didn't want him as NLC President.

We made jest of the woman but we never know she saw farther than everyone.

26 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by Hoelujohn: 1:19pm On May 01
SoNature:
Joe Ajaero isn't being reasonable. If Nigeria starts paying workers what he wants, it means that government will even borrow money to pay salaries while everything else is abandoned.

The biggest illusion we have in this country is to think that Nigeria is a rich country. I don't know how a country that budgets less than $50 billion for one year for 220 million people is rich. To date, I don't know what we are doing with two legislature houses.

Anyways, NLC and TUC should ask for something that is sustainable. Those who earn less than 100k should get 100% pay raise and those who earn more than 100% should get 30% pay raise.
The government can pay 200k by downsizing by about 30% of it's bloated workforce

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by victory36(m): 1:25pm On May 01
Inflation promax loading grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by fastseo: 1:27pm On May 01
grin
650k? Hah labour suffry nau. It's too much. At least say 70k

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by salbis(m): 1:27pm On May 01
This man and his union have lost the goodwill of most Nigerians.

NLC na jokers dem be!

11 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by oluwaseyi0: 1:27pm On May 01
Labour is making the government think this is a joke

Nothing above 70k minimum age will be easily enforceable

Nobody earns that minimum wage, it's for level one step one, even primary school holders start from level four or so

7 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by SensualMan: 1:27pm On May 01
I personally think Tinubu should add 3,000 increase to the minimum wage.
33k is not bad for the average sophisticated person.
Ewa agoyin with bread N150
Ewedu and amala N200
Agege bread and pure water N70
Total spending for a day N420

33k is a good enough minimum wage for CORNtree people

19 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by Godfullsam(m): 1:27pm On May 01
seyits:
The figure sounds like the man is joking.

This current NLC president has a lot to learn from Adams Oshomole Labour congress

He is not a serious human being.

60 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by Sheuns(m): 1:28pm On May 01
How do you expect SMEs to pay their staff a minimum of 615k because minimum wage cuts across workers in the country.

4 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by karkinase(m): 1:28pm On May 01
;DJoe Ajeoro is a clown

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by PointZerom: 1:28pm On May 01
grin
Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by samsard(m): 1:28pm On May 01
Hoelujohn:

The government can pay 200k by downsizing by about 30% of it's bloated workforce
So create large-scale unemployment in an already bad situation so they can pay some people more. Wonderful idea.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by Waakanda: 1:29pm On May 01
Well, all I know is that there's a need for a salary structure that will not only sustain but also uplift workers ensuring their dignity and well-being.

3 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by Hndrrxxx(m): 1:29pm On May 01
Ugff
Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by CodeTemplar: 1:30pm On May 01
600k wage will send prices so high we will be dealing with hyperinflation in no time. Imagine a bottle of coke costing N6500, or a dollar going for N23,000.

The solution is to beat down prices with more production but because the workers are largely soft workers, bureaucratic people and idlers, they have little say in boosting production or helping the current Minimum Wage to start buying what it used to before. A shame.

14 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by Houseontherock1: 1:30pm On May 01
Sometimes I wonder how people get money to LIVE in Nigeria! What Ajaero's team put out there is very apt, but these guys can't pay it, even if they have it. Hence, what is more important here is for the government to work on the economy so that whatever they pay as minimum wage will be a living wage

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by Tajbol4splend(m): 1:31pm On May 01
To be honest, what work is a sweeper doing to collect 615k per month considering our economy in Nigeria

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by rajiedreez: 1:33pm On May 01
grin This guys, do they even know how the economy works

5 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by fintechx: 1:34pm On May 01
In my Area:

Everything is expensive

There's no power supply

The heat is intense

Very poor or no communication network

They want to kill everyone and everything

3 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by tefishy(m): 1:34pm On May 01
smiley
Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by Roger3D(m): 1:34pm On May 01
it's time for a total general strike. The ex drug baron needs to get a very clear message

6 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by mrdharkchild(m): 1:36pm On May 01
Ajaero is an opposition created by APC and Tinubu.

4 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by dibunotion(m): 1:37pm On May 01
Pajero

1 Like

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by GBPUSD: 1:37pm On May 01
If I had the opportunity to leave this country with my family to a better place, I'd never come back.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by sleek214(m): 1:37pm On May 01
Clown. 615k minimum wage, are you okay? You wan to turn Nigeria to Zimbabwe. The Naira that is already struggling, you want it to be tissue paper abi... How many states can even pay the 45k, when most of them are still struggling to pay 30k.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by BuharisBoy: 1:38pm On May 01
Good news, federal government should come up with the minimum wage immediately preferably in the next two weeks, and implement it with the May salary and an arrears of the month of March & April should be paid.
Wage award is no longer paid again, it was last paid for the month of February and nothing for the month of March and April up to date.
So how should a worker survive in this harsh economy? We are talking about livelihood of real people with families and kids to cater for

1 Like

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by Curious345: 1:38pm On May 01
True.. Until there is civil revolution in this country, the politicians will continue to ride the ass of the masses.. As it stands now, every Nigerian is gay and weak. F*cked by politicians every single day

3 Likes

Re: Joe Ajaero: FG’s 35% Pay Rise Mischievous — Living Wage Should Be N615k by Jonjam269: 1:38pm On May 01
Ajaero is another deluded and frustrated obirodent miscreant. Always making irrelevant and gibberish comments.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

RE: Understanding Buhari In 100 Days, Dissecting Garba Shehu's Deceptive Piece / Sagay: Fielding A Northerner May Have Devastating Consequences On APC’s Future / Yahaya Bello Cancels Okene Trip, Hides To Evade EFCC Arrest - Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.