Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,691 members, 7,840,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

The Very Good Wine - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Very Good Wine (8083 Views)

Ogun Pastor Turns Bottled-Water To Wine Inside Church (Video) / Christianity And Drinking Of Wine / Pastor Tayo Adeyemi Is Dead (New-Wine Church , London Founder) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:55pm On Nov 27, 2011
italo:

1000 words, zero meaning!

Which confirms my suspicions that you've got a dry sense of humour. tongue
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 6:48am On Nov 28, 2011
Thanks, but I'll make do with a "dry sense of humour" as long as I don't have a retarded reasoning faculty.
Re: The Very Good Wine by Image123(m): 11:41am On Nov 28, 2011
i've always wondered, what gets people personal and irate when defending alcohol or saying no to tithes?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:47am On Nov 28, 2011
Image123:

Webster's Bible Translation
And saith to him, Every man at the beginning presenteth good wine; and when men have well drank, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.
Bible in Basic English
And said to him, Every man first puts out his best wine and when all have had enough he puts out what is not so good; but you have kept the good wine till now.

How this keeps recurring's beyond me. Don't people ever consider the option that 'drunk' in the verse may be past participle abi wetin be that word my english teacher dey talk? "have well drunk" is different in meaning from "are well drunk" especially if context is played. Well sha, i no ready make people dey blaspheme on my head, let me step aside.

You have a good point there. The jury is still out on that. I just perused the website you suggested some time ago and realised a well balanced study on whether Jesus Christ by His teaching and example sanction the use of fermented wine or not.

http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/books/wine_in_the_bible/4.html
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:50am On Nov 28, 2011
Image123:

i've always wondered, what gets people personal and irate when defending alcohol or saying no to tithes?

Bacchus and Mammon are the demons to blame. Folks must defend their idols. grin
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 12:44pm On Nov 28, 2011
Image123:

well i defend the truth.

and i rememmber when Peter defended the truth @d garden of gethseman, he slashed of someone's ear.

he was more than irate, and it wasnt alcohol or 'no to tithes', or mammon or bacchus he was defending.

Mayb like him, I have a similar weakness. I apologize.
Re: The Very Good Wine by PastorKun(m): 12:53pm On Nov 28, 2011
@Image123
People get irate whhen issues of alcohol and tithes are being discussed in reaction the a glaring, obviously and fraudulent manipulation of scriptures designed to control people's lives by people we are supposed to trust with the truth of God's word. It personally angers me when a man who claims to be serving God (like you and Olaadegbu) wilfully twist the word of God to suit your primordial sentiments.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:02pm On Nov 28, 2011
Pastor Kun:

@Image123
People get irate whhen issues of alcohol and tithes are being discussed in reaction the a glaring, obviously and fraudulent manipulation of scriptures designed to control people's lives by people we are supposed to trust with the truth of God's word. It personally angers me when a man who claims to be serving God (like you and Olaadegbu) wilfully twist the word of God to suit your primordial sentiments.

How true is the saying that the wallet is the "final frontier."  That is, the final area to be conquered, the last thing that comes to God in surrender.  Jesus said that we cannot serve God and mammon (Matthew 6:24).  "Mammon" was the common Aramaic word for riches, which is related to a Hebrew word signifying "that which is to be trusted."  In other words, we cannot trust God and money.  Either money is our source of joy, our great love, our sense of security, the supplier of our needs or God is.  The same can be said for those who put their trust in alcohol.

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise" (Proverbs 20:1) The Evidence Bible.
Re: The Very Good Wine by PastorKun(m): 3:09pm On Nov 28, 2011
@Olaadegbu
As someone rightly pointed out earlier, you are fond of writing several words of meaningless value. I would rather you explain to us why men who claim to serve God like you establish doctrines based on fraudulently manipulating the scriptures? Why would you rather panel beat scriptures to suit your delusions rather than accept it for what it is?
Re: The Very Good Wine by Tonyet1(m): 3:24pm On Nov 28, 2011
Pastor Kun:

@Image123

It shouldnt get you angered. Common sense shows folks are not meant to agree on everything especially when issues are perceived on individually basis.

The man who eats meat should not look down on the one who doesnt eat. - Rom.14:3
Re: The Very Good Wine by Image123(m): 4:32pm On Nov 28, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

You have a good point there. The jury is still out on that. I just perused the website you suggested some time ago and realised a well balanced study on whether Jesus Christ by His teaching and example sanction the use of fermented wine or not.

http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/books/wine_in_the_bible/4.html
Heeeey, bro. Thanks for rebringing up that link, reminiscent. People get memory for nl sha!
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:47pm On Nov 28, 2011
Image123:

Heeeey, bro. Thanks for rebringing up that link, reminiscent. People get memory for nl sha!

That site did an extensive study on the biblical use of alcohol beverages and is a must read.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:49pm On Nov 28, 2011
Pastor Kun:

@Olaadegbu
As someone rightly pointed out earlier, you are fond of writing several words of meaningless value. I would rather you explain to us why men who claim to serve God like you establish doctrines based on fraudulently manipulating the scriptures? Why would you rather panel beat scriptures to suit your delusions rather than accept it for what it is?

Has it ever occured to you that it could be you that is fraudulently manipulating the scriptures to suit your addiction?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:56pm On Nov 28, 2011
Tonye-t:

It shouldnt get you angered. Common sense shows folks are not meant to agree on everything especially when issues are perceived on individually basis.

The man who eats meat should not look down on the one who doesnt eat. - Rom.14:3

You are right that everyone is entitled to their own conviction but when folks use Scripture to justify their own habits especially when they accuse Jesus Christ of creating alcohol that could get celebrants drunk then they have crossed the line. It is my summation that Jesus did not teach or sanction the use of alcohol in any way or form.
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 8:48am On Nov 29, 2011
None of you has explained to us how people were getting "drunken" during the Lord's Supper in 1Cor 11: 21.

Was it Juice that was getting them drunk?
Re: The Very Good Wine by Tonyet1(m): 10:39am On Nov 29, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

You are right that everyone is entitled to their own conviction but when folks use Scripture to justify their own habits especially when they accuse Jesus Christ of creating alcohol that could get celebrants drunk then they have crossed the line. It is my summation that Jesus did not teach or sanction the use of alcohol in any way or form.

Couldnt have agreed more!
Re: The Very Good Wine by Thelstan(m): 10:49am On Nov 29, 2011
italo:

None of you has explained to us how people were getting "drunken" during the Lord's Supper in 1Cor 11: 21.

Was it Juice that was getting them drunk?
+1

@Tonye-T:
Jesus did not force the wine down anybody's throat. It is the duty of every adult to observe moderation. God will not enforce moderation for us because we're not zombies.
Re: The Very Good Wine by PastorKun(m): 11:38am On Nov 29, 2011
@Italo
These hypocrites would refuse to address the 1 corinthians issue you raised as it would expose them to be manipulators of scripture. It's so damn obvious that biblical wine is alcoholic yet this clowns keep going to extents to force their delusions into the scripture. I have been asking ola and image to also address luke 7:33-34 for years now neither of them has even attempted to address it rather they evade the issue as it exposes them as liars.
Re: The Very Good Wine by Tonyet1(m): 11:39am On Nov 29, 2011
Thelstan:

+1

@Tonye-T:
Jesus did not force the wine down anybody's throat. It is the duty of every adult to observe moderation. God will not enforce moderation for us because we're not zombies.

undecided
Re: The Very Good Wine by Thelstan(m): 11:58am On Nov 29, 2011
Tonye-t:

undecided

Ok then.

Pastor Kun:

@Italo
These hypocrites would refuse to address the 1 corinthians issue you raised as it would expose them to be manipulators of scripture. It's so damn obvious that biblical wine is alcoholic yet this clowns keep going to extents to force their delusions into the scripture. I have been asking ola and image to also address luke 7:33-34 for years now neither of them has even attempted to address it rather they evade the issue as it exposes them as liars.

I promise you it's very interesting.

Drinking is NOT a sin but Drunkeness is a sin.

Alcoholism is a sin but Alcohol is not evil.

Moderation is what is required, but its a slippery slope.

Titus 1:7 states that a minister of God should not be given to wine or an alcoholic. This means it should not be an addiction.

I respect the wishes of people who say they will not touch any alcohol (for reasons best known to them, or to avoid having to deal with the risks of moderation) but when they say it is [i]forbidden [/i]for a Christian to take any alcohol, that is another entirely different matter.
Re: The Very Good Wine by debosky(m): 3:32pm On Nov 29, 2011
Good link, but I begin to shake my head when words like 'Scriptural and moral consistency' are used to defend the author's own bias.

The truth is that we cannot conclude either way - some interpret things to imply that 'good wine' doesn't intoxicate, others say only Jesus' wine (which is also 'good wine' by the way cheesy) did not intoxicate.

We simply don't know.

The problem with those who think Jesus couldn't have made intoxicating wine is that they think getting drunk is the unavoidable effect of drinking alcohol, which is equivalent to saying gluttony is the unavoidable effect of eating food.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:13am On Nov 30, 2011
Lets see what a reputable Bible commentator says about the dangers of alcohol:

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." -- Proverbs 20:1

When someone is in-toxic-ated, he is "poisoned."  The body protests with confused thinking, slurred speech, and impaired vision, memory and judgment.  The victim vomits.  The next day his head throbs with pain, yet he still drinks the poison.  Hundreds of thousands of innocent people have been maimed on the roads by drunk drivers, yet the world cannot bring itself to say, "Don't drink."  It can only say "Don't drink and drive."  This is because alcohol is the only enemy man has succeeded in loving.  It destroys his liver, heart and kidneys.  It gives him high blood pressure and causes blood vessels to burst in his skin.  It leads him to beat his wife and abuse his kids.  It will eventually destroy his ability to enjoy the intimacies of the marriage bed.  Yet he still drinks.

He thinks alcohol is a "stimulant."  In truth, it is a suppressant that reduces his inhibitions.  It dulls the naggings of his conscience so that he can commit intimate and other sins that he couldn't indulge in while sober.  A man who gives himself to the demon of alcohol becomes a slave to its addictive properties.  It mocks him.  It steals his dignity.  It takes control of his will.  Whoever is deceived by it (and there are millions) is not wise.  See Proverbs 23:29-35
Re: The Very Good Wine by mazaje(m): 7:04am On Nov 30, 2011
The bible very clearly says that Jesus drinks alcohol, no?. . . .
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 7:30am On Nov 30, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Lets see what a reputable Bible commentator says about the dangers of alcohol:

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." -- Proverbs 20:1

When someone is in-toxic-ated, he is "poisoned."  The body protests with confused thinking, slurred speech, and impaired vision, memory and judgment.  The victim vomits.  The next day his head throbs with pain, yet he still drinks the poison.  Hundreds of thousands of innocent people have been maimed on the roads by drunk drivers, yet the world cannot bring itself to say, "Don't drink."  It can only say "Don't drink and drive."  This is because alcohol is the only enemy man has succeeded in loving.  It destroys his liver, heart and kidneys.  It gives him high blood pressure and causes blood vessels to burst in his skin.  It leads him to beat his wife and abuse his kids.  It will eventually destroy his ability to enjoy the intimacies of the marriage bed.  Yet he still drinks.

He thinks alcohol is a "stimulant."  In truth, it is a suppressant that reduces his inhibitions.  It dulls the naggings of his conscience so that he can commit intimate and other sins that he couldn't indulge in while sober.  A man who gives himself to the demon of alcohol becomes a slave to its addictive properties.  It mocks him.  It steals his dignity.  It takes control of his will.  Whoever is deceived by it (and there are millions) is not wise.  See Proverbs 23:29-35

Now let's see what Jesus had to say:

Luke 7:33,34: "For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’  The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners".

And St. Paul: 1Cor 11:20,21: "So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat, 21 for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another gets drunk".

These verses show that Jesus drank alcohol, so did the apostles and early church during the "Lord's supper ( mass), so do we today.
Re: The Very Good Wine by PastorKun(m): 8:19am On Nov 30, 2011
^^^
@Italo
It's so glaringly obvious from the scriptures you quoted above that Jesus and the apostles consumed alcoholic wine, yet Olaadegbu and his partner in crime image 123 feeling more comfortable with adding and subtracting from scriptures(which is a sin itself) to suit their silly delusions.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:55am On Nov 30, 2011
italo:

Now let's see what Jesus had to say:

Luke 7:33,34: "For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners".

The fact that "they" called Jesus a glutton and drunkard does not mean at all that He was either one, any more than John the Baptist was demon-possessed. He was "a friend of tax collectors and sinners", because He had come "to seek and to save that which is lost" (Luke 19:10), and this was the fallacious basis of the accusers' ridiculous charge.

italo:

And St. Paul: 1Cor 11:20,21: "So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat, 21 for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another gets drunk".

What does the bolden phrase above imply?

italo:

These verses show that Jesus drank alcohol, so did the apostles and early church during the "Lord's supper ( mass), so do we today.

No they do not. The Lord's supper is neither "mass" that you folks feast on today.
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 12:28pm On Nov 30, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

The fact that "they" called Jesus a glutton and drunkard does not mean at all that He was either one, any more than John the Baptist was demon-possessed. He was "a friend of tax collectors and sinners", because He had come "to seek and to save that which is lost" (Luke 19:10), and this was the fallacious basis of the accusers' ridiculous charge.

They said you were a hypocrite and a liar. What they didn't say was that you were a very shameless one. Have you no fear of God?

The called him "friend of publicans and sinners" because he feasted with publicans and sinners.

They called him "glutton" because he ate food.

They called him "drunkard" because he drank alcohol.

Nobody calls a man 'drunkard' if the've only seen him drink water or tea or juice.

And maybe you should tell me what the "bolden" imply to you. I have told you what I derived from the verses.

So what is the 'Lord's supper' and what is the 'Mass'?
Re: The Very Good Wine by Thelstan(m): 1:08pm On Nov 30, 2011
^^^^

As in!!! When I saw Olaadegbu's last post I felt weak. I didn't even know how to reply him. shocked

All that came to my mind was

grin
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:45pm On Nov 30, 2011
italo:

They said you were a hypocrite and a liar. What they didn't say was that you were a very shameless one. Have you no fear of God?

And does that not put you in the same category as Jesus' accusers?

italo:

The called him "friend of publicans and sinners" because he feasted with publicans and sinners.

You seem not to understand what it means for Jesus to seek and save those who are lost.  He is seeking you today.

italo:

They called him "glutton" because he ate food.

Are you also accusing Jesus of being a glutton?

italo:

They called him "drunkard" because he drank alcohol.

So you agree with them that Jesus Christ is a drunkard?

italo:

Nobody calls a man 'drunkard' if the've only seen him drink water or tea or juice.

You might as well call John the Baptist a demon possessed prophet.

italo:

And maybe you should tell me what the "bolden" imply to you. I have told you what I derived from the verses.

You have to be able to differentiate between the Lord's Supper from Love feast before you can understand what the bolden means.

italo:

So what is the 'Lord's supper' and what is the 'Mass'?

Mass is not the Lord's Supper and the Lord's Supper is not "Mass."  To understand what the Lord's Supper is you have to know what Jesus had to say about it.
Re: The Very Good Wine by mazaje(m): 4:19pm On Nov 30, 2011
Luke 7:33,34: "For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners".

@ OLAADEGBU What was Jesus drinking when the people called him a drunkard?. . .
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:38pm On Nov 30, 2011
mazaje:

@ OLAADEGBU What was Jesus drinking when the people called him a drunkard?. . .

What Jesus was drinking should be the least of your worries, as Jesus is still seeking for your lost soul.
Re: The Very Good Wine by mazaje(m): 4:53pm On Nov 30, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

What Jesus was drinking should be the least of your worries, as Jesus is still seeking for your lost soul.

Your dishonesty is out for all to see. . .Again what was Jesus drinking when the people called him drunkard?. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bauchi State Government Sponsors 2,306 Christians On Pilgrimage / Foot Fetish Pope Kisses Muslim Girl's ... (Photo + Video!) / Opinion; Is It Not A Sin To Call The Day That Jesus Died "A Good Friday" ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.