Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,881 members, 7,838,156 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

The Very Good Wine - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Very Good Wine (8081 Views)

Ogun Pastor Turns Bottled-Water To Wine Inside Church (Video) / Christianity And Drinking Of Wine / Pastor Tayo Adeyemi Is Dead (New-Wine Church , London Founder) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:24pm On Nov 30, 2011
mazaje:

Even you don't know whether Jesus existed or not. . you only BELIEVE he existed and that's where it ends. . It begins and ends with BELIEF. . .

Do you not believe that Charles Darwin existed? Have you ever seen your brain and if not, do you believe that it exists?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:28pm On Nov 30, 2011
mazaje:

He asked you a simple question. will you answer it or not?. . .Again. . .What was Jesus drinking when the people called him a drunkard?. . .

I will only answer it if they can tell me whether John the Baptist was demon possessed or not but answering this will do you no good for now unless I am sure it will change your life for the better.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:33pm On Nov 30, 2011
Thelstan:

That's rather straightforward though. Jesus drank alcohol and so they called him a drunkard. John was a wild man of the spirit, eating locusts and wild honey and spreading the gospel without any concern for mundane affairs; and so they would call him a demon-possessed person.

So because they said He was a drunkard that means He drank alcohol? Why did you stop there? Why not carry this line of thought to its conclusive end as say that He was a drunkard? The fact that they called John the Baptist demon possessed does not translate that it was true.
Re: The Very Good Wine by debosky(m): 7:38pm On Nov 30, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Don't be too quick to identify yourself with Paul.  Paul corrected Peter and I don't see how that makes Paul an accuser of the brethren.

You are being corrected as well. Stop twisting scripture to suit your own purposes.

Since you believe that Jesus drank alcohol because His accusers called Him a drunkard, do you also believe John the Baptist was demon-possessed because his accusers labelled him so?

I never said I believed anything - simply answer the question you've been asked if it's not too hard.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:40pm On Nov 30, 2011
mazaje:

Use the bible as an excuse . . . Are you kidding me?. . .

Ask your friends about that.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:44pm On Nov 30, 2011
Thelstan:

The thread has been taken over by ad hominem posts.

Nothing more to see here. cool

Its not new, the Pharisees did it to Jesus and His disciples.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:52pm On Nov 30, 2011
mazaje:

Sure not me alone, other christians saw it as well. . .What was Jesus drinking when the people called him a drunk?. . .The fact that you don't want to answer it says a lot. . .

"Being popular with people is not being popular with God."
Re: The Very Good Wine by dalaman: 9:08pm On Nov 30, 2011
OLAADEGBU, what was Jesus drinking when the people called him a drunkard, can you answer please?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:13pm On Nov 30, 2011
dalaman:

OLAADEGBU, what was Jesus drinking when the people called him a drunkard, can you answer please?

Don't you want to know what Jesus ate before they labelled Him a glutton? undecided
Re: The Very Good Wine by dalaman: 9:18pm On Nov 30, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Don't you want to know what Jesus ate before they labelled Him a glutton? undecided

If you aren't going to answer then its fine by me. I just asked a simple question, will you answer it or not? As for what Jesus ate I believe he ate food, you can only label a person that eats a glutton not a person that smokes or laughs, right?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:23pm On Nov 30, 2011
dalaman:

If you aren't going to answer then its fine by me. I just asked a simple question, will you answer it or not? As for what Jesus ate I believe he ate food, you can only label a person that eats a glutton not a person that smokes or laughs, right?

So in your estimation because Jesus ate food that qualifies Him to be a glutton, right? undecided
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:35pm On Nov 30, 2011
This was my response to the pretentious questions the accusers are refusing to see:

OLAADEGBU:

The fact that "they" called Jesus a glutton and drunkard does not mean at all that He was either one, any more than John the Baptist was demon-possessed. He was "a friend of tax collectors and sinners", because He had come "to seek and to save that which is lost" (Luke 19:10), and this was the fallacious basis of the accusers' ridiculous charge.

Do they even bother to think about what Jesus said about the ingredients of the Lord's Supper?

"Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God." -- Mark 14:25

This is a proposition for the serious minded Bible scholars who are willing to act on the truth revealed in the Scriptures. 

It is significant that Jesus called the drink "the fruit of the vine" (also in Matthew 26:29 and Luke 22:18) or "the cup" (1 Corinthians 11:25-28) rather than "wine."  Even though the simpler term "wine" could have (in the context of that day) referred either to unfermented or fermented grape juice, He seems to have gone to special pains to make it clear that fermented wine could not properly represent His precious blood, no matter what may have developed by then as the Jewish custom at the Passover.  Just as the Lord’s Supper was to be observed with unleavened bread (leaven representing evil), so it should be observed with unfermented wine.  The leavening process and the fermentation process are essentially the same, catalysed by the same organisms and both representing decay and ultimate death. The Lord shed "innocent blood" when He died, and it was to be symbolised by pure, unleavened, bread and wine. (Bible Defender's Notes).
Re: The Very Good Wine by Thelstan(m): 10:07pm On Nov 30, 2011
@Olaadegbu

You should take a ride on a Ferris Wheel someday, if you've never.

I think you'll love the thrill.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:17pm On Nov 30, 2011
Thelstan:

@Olaadegbu

You should take a ride on a Ferris Wheel someday, if you've never.

I think you'll love the thrill.

Does it compare to the thrills you get from the mind bender trips? shocked
Re: The Very Good Wine by Image123(m): 10:18pm On Nov 30, 2011
mazaje:

Even you don't know whether Jesus existed or not. . you only BELIEVE he existed and that's where it ends. . It begins and ends with BELIEF. . .
But i know mr, i know. I believed and then i saw. If you can believe, you too can see. Tell me, what do you think Jesus drank, Heineken or Star extra lager?
Re: The Very Good Wine by gotizsata: 10:38pm On Nov 30, 2011
@Image123
if you believe in witchcraft, then it is true for you, it does not make it true.

please keep that in mind.

come on, lets switch this debate one level higher, stop dragging us into just weak, meaningless quibbles, if you have something challenging, thought provoking, please use this are a forum to explore that. Otherwise, spamming us with cheap, poorly thought ideas is just a waste of everyones time, including yours.

engage us
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:13pm On Nov 30, 2011
Watch how the rascal bit the dust in this short musical video. You will see how Bacchus the alcohol demon was the first one to bite the dust in the pub (beer parlour).

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_UO8wlZymM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]
Re: The Very Good Wine by Thelstan(m): 11:20pm On Nov 30, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Watch how the rascal bit the dust in this short musical video. You will see how Bacchus the alcohol demon was the first one to bite the dust in the pub (beer parlour).

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_UO8wlZymM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]

@Olaadegbu:

I've known the Carman's song for years but this is my first time seeing the video. Thanks for sharing.

Did you notice? He said "You demon of alcoholism" not "demon of alcohol"  cheesy cheesy cheesy

Until you see that alcohol is not the problem but alcoholism is, then  undecided
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:38pm On Nov 30, 2011
Thelstan:

@Olaadegbu:

I've known the Carman's song for years but this is my first time seeing the video. Thanks for sharing.

You are welcome, anytime. wink

Thelstan:

Did you notice? He said "You demon of alcoholism" not "demon of alcohol" cheesy cheesy cheesy

If there is a demon of alcoholism what do you think it will use in getting them addicted? Folks in the UK here are wise enough not to drink and drive even if they only drank moderately because they never know when they cross the limit.

Thelstan:

Until you see that alcohol is not the problem but alcoholism is, then undecided

Drinking alcohol may be lawful for a Christian but it is not expedient.
Re: The Very Good Wine by Thelstan(m): 12:08am On Dec 01, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Drinking alcohol may be lawful for a Christian but it is not expedient.

Translation: It's not a sin, but it's not in your best interest.

This, I agree with. Goodnight brother. smiley
Re: The Very Good Wine by Image123(m): 3:12am On Dec 01, 2011
gotizsata:

@Image123
if you believe in witchcraft, then it is true for you, it does not make it true.

come on, lets switch this debate one level higher, stop dragging us into just weak, meaningless quibbles, if you have something challenging, thought provoking, please use this are a forum to explore that. Otherwise, spamming us with cheap, poorly thought ideas is just a waste of everyones time, including yours.

engage us
If you need an engagement, get a spouse or get a job. Witchcraft exists, you can drink pure water to that.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:18am On Dec 01, 2011
Image123:

If you need an engagement, get a spouse or get a job. Witchcraft exists, you can drink pure water to that.

Just pure water? shocked  You didn't even offer Shandy, have mercy I beg. grin
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:27am On Dec 01, 2011
gotizsata:

@Image123

engage us

Why do atheists always try to give the impression that they don't believe in witchcraft? Could they be hiding something? undecided

Watch what Carman did with the witch's invitation he received.  I hope it will serve as the kind of switch of debate to a level higher you asked for.  If you cannot watch at least read the lyrics as posted below:

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKRV6Mpm6cw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]

One peaceful afternoon I picked up from my mailbox the strangest looking letter I'd ever seen, a chilling little envelope bordered with flying bats, and eerie serpents whose eyes were tinted green. The letter was addressed to me so as I opened it I froze. What I read turned my complexion three shades of blue. It said, 'My name is Isaac Horowitz. I'm a male witch, a warlock and I feel I need to spend some time with you.'

Now as a Christian from a little church with God's call on my life, a man of faith and power with a challenge to grow I did what any saint would do in my situation. I tore it up said, 'Lord, no way I'm gonna go.' Then gently and methodically the Holy Spirit spoke and reminded me we're God's voice to our nation. It's the church's responsibility to witness, so reluctantly I accepted this witch's invitation.

He had the house you'd expect, the old English cottage, a 'Nightmare on Elm Street' special right to the core, the overgrown ivy, the gate that creaked when opened, somehow you'd expect Freddy to answer this door. The doorbell rang, a hollow gong, the knob twisted then opened, and Isaac stood before me with a grin. His jet black hair and well trimmed beard flowed with his black silk clothes. My skin crawled as he said, 'Please come on in.'

His house was filled with every occultic symbol you could fathom; Hanging pentagrams and horoscope signs, a Ouija board and dungeons and dragons game set on the table, a crystal ball with an incandescent shine. Then graciously he handed me some steaming herbal tea. Its presence caused my memory to jog, I thought of every horror flick I'd seen when I was a kid and thought 'man if you drink this stuff next day you'll be a frog.'

Then he led me to a high backed chair as he meticulously began to unfold his scenario with evil patience. I was given a giant leather bound book jammed with newspaper clippings, thus the reason for this witch's invitation. With eagerness he pointed to each article with pride. He said, 'I healed this woman through a Babylonian chant; You see this man, I cured him while performing druid worship; I was paid to curse this man with AIDS by his aunt.'

On and on, page after page, delightfully he flaunted each incident for an hour without a breath. He said, 'Do you realize through my understanding of the dark regions that I can make you rich or even curse someone to death?' I sat literally intimidated by his immensity in demon power while his face shone with a satanic arrogant bliss. Then placing his hands on the arms of my chair and leaning into my face he said, 'What can your God do to compete with this?'

I knew then how Moses felt, when his rod turned to a serpent and the three Egyptian magicians did the same. It's as if you're sitting there in that stunned moment while your faith gets violated and all you feel is weak, powerless and lame. I desperately and deeply prayed saying, 'Jesus give me wisdom - I don't want to put you through some foolish test. Then a shaft of light shot through my soul igniting my eyes with fire. God stood me up and I threw the book back in his chest.

I said 'Isaac, I'll not compare God's miracles versus Satan's - the issue's not God's kingdom and Satan's lair. The real comparison is the condition of your soul and the condition of mine, and you puppet of the devil, that I will compare. I said, My friend, one day they're coming for you - the soft associates in your incantations - the friendly demons you think you now control. The time will come when you'll be lying in bed wheezing like a dying animal and those spirits lay claim to the rights they own to your soul.'

'Then the room will grow dark, and the most hideous evil faces you ever seen will come flaming out of the floor with a yell! The vile informants that promised reincarnation will claw your spirit and victoriously drag your soul to hell!'

Then I grabbed the book and said, 'In that moment which mantra, which incantation you gonna chant to tell them to leave you alone? I said, My friend, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt what I would say, 'I'm bought with the blood of Jesus! Let me go!' '

I said, 'Isaac, when you tossed that book in my lap, you gloated with a sinister victory. You rejoiced when you saw your name in black and white. Now I rejoice, but not that your counsel of demons are subject to Jesus, but that my name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life!' Then Isaac jumped up from his chair and screamed, 'You must leave now!' I said, 'I will, but one last obligation - Next time think twice before you rumble with a man of God!!! And by the way thanks for your,  uhh,  witch's invitation.
Re: The Very Good Wine by debosky(m): 11:51am On Dec 01, 2011
Ola who informed you that Bacchus is the 'alcohol demon'? Is this something you gleaned from the bible or you received this by divine revelation?

Image123:

But i know mr, i know. I believed and then i saw. If you can believe, you too can see. Tell me, what do you think Jesus drank, Heineken or Star extra lager?

What do you think Jesus drank?

PS - from a 'straight forward understanding' wine is as much fruit of the vine as juice is - they originate from the vine.

However, it does appear from the translation of the Greek that Jesus appeared to be speaking only of freshly pressed juice when talking about the Lord's Supper.

This is quite separate from the feast of Cana where a different word 'oinos' is used, which generally (but not exclusively) refers to 'alcoholic' wine.

In my view, people of either persuasion shouldn't feel a need to force their own interpretations on everyone else.

If you feel it was alcoholic, good for you. If you don't, then good for you.

Whether or not Jesus made 'alcoholic' wine or drank 'alcoholic wine' takes nothing away from His Deity and His saving power through the cross.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:18pm On Dec 01, 2011
debosky:

Ola who informed you that Bacchus is the 'alcohol demon'? Is this something you gleaned from the bible or you received this by divine revelation?

My Chambers Dictionary informs me that Bacchus is the god of wine. Have you got another word for it?

debosky:

What do you think Jesus drank?

It is not what anyone of us think that matters but what the Truth book says.

debosky:

PS - from a 'straight forward understanding' wine is as much fruit of the vine as juice is - they originate from the vine.

And what's the difficulty of calling it wine instead of the fruit of the vine?

debosky:

However, it does appear from the translation of the Greek that Jesus appeared to be speaking only of freshly pressed juice when talking about the Lord's Supper.

And why do you think folks today use alcoholic wine for their Eucharist or Holy Communion?

debosky:

This is quite separate from the feast of Cana where a different word 'oinos' is used, which generally (but not exclusively) refers to 'alcoholic' wine.

Oinos is used for both fermented and unfermented wine.
debosky:

In my view, people of either persuasion shouldn't feel a need to force their own interpretations on everyone else.

The heart of the matter is the matter of the heart. Folks will always want to use the Scriptures to justify their addictions.

debosky:

If you feel it was alcoholic, good for you. If you don't, then good for you.

Whatever we feel doesn't change the fact of the matter.

debosky:

Whether or not Jesus made 'alcoholic' wine or drank 'alcoholic wine' takes nothing away from His Deity and His saving power through the cross.

It does if we begin to accuse Jesus of disregarding Habbakuk 2:15
Re: The Very Good Wine by debosky(m): 12:30pm On Dec 01, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

My Chambers Dictionary informs me that Bacchus is the god of wine. Have you got another word for it?

So if Chambers Dictionary informs you that Zeus created the universe will you also accept it? undecided

So much for keeping the bible as your source. grin

It is not what anyone of us think that matters but what the Truth book says.

The question was directed at Image not you.

And what's the difficulty of calling it wine instead of the fruit of the vine?

There is no difficulty - the translators have held on to the original words used and left any conclusions to the reader.

And why do you think folks today use alcoholic wine for their Eucharist or Holy Communion?

Because of their own interpretation of what Jesus did - it is their own prerogative.

Oinos is used for both fermented and unfermented wine.

Did you even understand what I wrote initially? The predominant usage of oinos in the bible is for 'alcoholic' wine. Yes or no?

The heart of the matter is the matter of the heart. Folks will always want to use the Scriptures to justify their addictions.

Just as people will also want to use scriptures to justify their false humility:

Colossians 3:21-23

21 “Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”? 22 These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings. 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

Whatever we feel doesn't change the fact of the matter.

Just what is the 'fact' of the matter? Have you answered the question? What did Jesus drink?

It does if we begin to accuse Jesus of disregarding Habbakuk 2:15

Just who is making the accusation? Are you?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:45pm On Dec 01, 2011
And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now. -- John 2:10

the good wine.  This "the good wine" had been miraculously created by the Creator, and was brand new, with no time to ferment and become old, intoxicating wine.  The Greek word oinos was used for the juice of grapes in general, the same word for both unfermented and fermented wine, with the context determining which.  The decay process, utilizing leaven (always in Scripture representing corruption) to convert good fresh wine into old intoxicating wine, could not have acted in this case, because Christ Himself had created the wine in its originally intended form before sin and decay entered the world.  In this form, it was certainly the best wine, having all the health-giving, joy-inspiring character it was created to exhibit in the beginning.  It was probably the same wine which Christ will provide in "that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom" (Matthew 26:29), and will certainly not induce drunkenness. (Defender's Bible Notes).
Re: The Very Good Wine by debosky(m): 12:56pm On Dec 01, 2011
So folk are now claiming to know wine's 'originally intended form before sin' eh? Where did they get this information from or is it just their own thoughts they are trying to force on everyone else? Did the bible mention this 'originally intended form' in the garden of Eden before sin?

A common misconception in their arguments is the thinking that alcohol by itself induces drunkenness - it is the abuse of it, just like eating food by itself does not lead to gluttony except by abuse.

Even their understanding of unleavened bread is flawed - God did not say Jews should stop eating leavened bread, he just specified the type of bread for a specific ceremony. If

The key here is that 'oinos' can be translated both ways - since we cannot be certain either way, let each person be convinced in his own heart.
Re: The Very Good Wine by mazaje(m): 2:56pm On Dec 01, 2011
Image123:

Sure, when it comes to religion believing is seeing. . .When you believe hard enough you will see and hear things. . .Ask the muslims and hindus. . .Nothing special. . .In real life seeing is believing not in the world of religion where believing is seeing. . .
Re: The Very Good Wine by PastorAIO: 3:08pm On Dec 01, 2011
All these pages just because by force by force Olaadegbu says that Jesus must not drink alcohol.

I need to start a thread about interpreting scriptures and the principles underlying it, but I fear that there'll be no interest in it.
Re: The Very Good Wine by mazaje(m): 3:10pm On Dec 01, 2011
Pastor AIO:

All these pages just because by force by force Olaadegbu says that Jesus must not drink alcohol.

I need to start a thread about interpreting scriptures and the principles underlying it, but I fear that there'll be no interest in it.

His delusions says his Jesus must not drink alcohol. . . grin
Re: The Very Good Wine by plappville(f): 3:20pm On Dec 01, 2011
mazaje: Luke 7:33,34: "For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’  The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners".

@ OLAADEGBU What was Jesus drinking when the people called him a drunkard?. . .

Sorry, i prefare u read it from verse one to understand how these words are used even when there is no drink in the occassion/event.

[b](Acts 2:1-13)  1 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.
5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”  

[size=14pt]will u now say because they were mocked of been drunk, shows any proof of alcohol[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Anti-atheism In Nigeria / Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? / Opinion; Is It Not A Sin To Call The Day That Jesus Died "A Good Friday" ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.