Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,767 members, 7,851,620 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:20 AM

The Very Good Wine - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Very Good Wine (8089 Views)

Ogun Pastor Turns Bottled-Water To Wine Inside Church (Video) / Christianity And Drinking Of Wine / Pastor Tayo Adeyemi Is Dead (New-Wine Church , London Founder) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Very Good Wine by Image123(m): 11:40am On Dec 03, 2011
mazaje:

What was Jesus drinking when the people called him a drunkard?. . .According to the story, Jesus said he[b] feasts and drinks[/b] and for that the people called him[b] a glutton and a drunkard[/b], the question is what was he drinking when the people called him a drunkard. . .It seems you guys don't want to touch it at all. . . . .
you're not answering my questions either, ever think of that? here's another, are you drinking what you think Jesus drank?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:40pm On Dec 03, 2011
gotizsata:

atheists do not believe in witchcraft, that's Christians, Muslims, and other religious folk, believe in Witchcraft.
As we all know Christianity goes hand in hand with witch doctors

Another evidence that there is more to atheists than meets the eye. Could they be hiding under a masquerade?
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 8:45pm On Dec 03, 2011
I think John the Baptist would have eaten bread but nowhere near as much as other men. And I drink what I think Jesus drank.

Can you now tell us what Jesus drank that made them call him a drunkard?

And tell us about the sour wine he drank on the cross.

And what the people were drinking during the Lord's supper in 1Cor 11:17-22 that was making them drunk.
Re: The Very Good Wine by plappville(f): 11:59pm On Dec 03, 2011
mazaje:Do they call people that drink juice and water drunkards?. . .People that eat too much food are called gluttons, and people that drink to much alcohol are called drunkards. . .

(Acts 2:1-13) U can as well tell us, what the people drank on the day of pentecost, before the observers mocked them of taking much wine??  This could give u the answer as to what Jesus drank also. (verse 13: Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”
Re: The Very Good Wine by Image123(m): 12:08am On Dec 04, 2011
italo:

I think John the Baptist would have eaten bread but nowhere near as much as other men. And I drink what I think Jesus drank.

Can you now tell us what Jesus drank that made them call him a drunkard?

And tell us about the sour wine he drank on the cross.

And what the people were drinking during the Lord's supper in 1Cor 11:17-22 that was making them drunk.
italo,are you mazaje in disguise or are you drunk again? So, Jesus said in Luke7 that John neither came eating BREAD nor drinking wine, but YOU think that John would have eaten bread? interesting. well, I also await mazaje's response, except you're yoked together of course.
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 9:41am On Dec 04, 2011
Well, unlike you, I am not a hypocrite. I believe in God, mazaje doesn't. But does that mean if he's saying something that is true I should be against it? No. My only permanent allegiance is with The Truth and it doesn't matter who says it.

Or have you forgotten that even demons call Jesus 'Son of David, holy one of Israel, Son of the Most High God' etc. Does that mean that you are a demon in disguise because you say the same? How do you reason sef?

I am not sure about John the Baptist's diet. I only said what I think. But since you seem to be hundred percent certain, no problem, I take your position for now.

Now can you answer my questions which are at the heart of this discussion?

And pls GO STRAIGHT TO THE POINT
Re: The Very Good Wine by mazaje(m): 12:42pm On Dec 04, 2011
plappville:

(Acts 2:1-13) U can as well tell us, what the people drank on the day of pentecost, before the observers mocked them of taking much wine??  This could give u the answer as to what Jesus drank also. (verse 13: Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”  

According to the story the people mocked them, they saw them doing something strange and mocked them by saying they drank too much wine. Normally when you see people doing strange things its normal to use words like "are you drunk"? or "you must be drunk". . .But in the case of Jesus, he said that people called him a drunkard and a glutton because he feats and drinks, what was he drinking when the people called him a drunkard? will you care to tell us?. . . .

Image123:

you're not answering my questions either,  ever think of that? here's another, are you drinking what you think Jesus drank?

What was he drinking when the people called him a drunkard?. . . .He said he feasts, and for that he was called a glutton,he also said he drinks, and for that he was called a drunkard, the question is, what was he drinking?. . .The fact that you don't want to answer says a lot. . . .
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:43pm On Dec 05, 2011
Image123:

tell me something, do people exactly think that John did not eat bread?
It is not for kings, it is not for kings to drink wine, nor for princes strong drink.
it's amazing people still imagine that the king or kings and the prince ofpeace to be foolish?

Many here do not see Jesus as their King why would they not want Him to drink alcohol?
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 7:30am On Dec 06, 2011
You can open another thread about Jesus' kingship, let us focus on the wine Jesus drank. The one that made people call him "drunkard" and the "sour wine" he drank on the cross.

What kind of christian can't admit a simple truth?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:12pm On Dec 06, 2011
An experiment was conducted and the findings are as follows:

Two glass cups filled with water and alcohol respectively. Worms placed in each of the cups ended up with two contrasting findings? The worms in the cup with water wriggled playfully while the worms in the cup of alcohol disintegrated completely.

What do you think alcohol does to your internal organs?
Re: The Very Good Wine by PastorKun(m): 7:41pm On Dec 06, 2011
@olaadegbu
Are you telling us your internal organs are made up of worms? I won't be suprised though if your brain is. tongue
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:43pm On Dec 06, 2011
Pastor Kun:

@olaadegbu
Are you telling us your internal organs are made up of worms? I won't be suprised though if your brain is. tongue

The worms are now creeping out of the the woodwork.  Did you know that the food you eat nurishes your body while the alcohol you drink immediately goes to your brain?

OLAADEGBU:

A new Christian confessed to having a problem with alcohol. She said, "It goes straight to my head." 

She was nervous about taking Holy Communion for the first time because even a sip of wine would make her tipsy.

After the service, she told the minister that her fears had been unfounded.

"What happened?" asked the leader.

She replied, "It went straight to my heart." shocked

Become a new Christian like the girl above if you must drink.
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 2:41am On Dec 07, 2011
Sugar can be detrimental to the body, fat can be detrimental to the body, alcohol can also be detrimental to the body.

But all these things only become bad when taken too much; when taken in moderation, they can be good for the body.

Research has proved that taking red wine in moderation can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:26am On Dec 07, 2011
Ruined by the Bottle
Proverbs 21:16-31

"He that loves pleasure shall be a poor man: he that loves wine and oil shall not be rich." -- Proverbs 21:17

It will be difficult to quantify the number of families and lives that have been ruined by the love of alcohol.  The bottle has not only succeeded in impoverishing many that love it, but has stolen away joy, peace and harmony in many homes.  Many children have been denied the love, warmth, affection and care expected to be given in the family due to the influence of alcohol.  How many promising men, having great potentials and wonderful careers have had their careers ruined and thrown out of job because they have become slaves to alcohol.  And there are countless number of untimely deaths, young wives turned to early widows and children orphaned at tender age, all due to the bottle! 

Our passage today warns against the practice of abandoning oneself to pleasure.  There are so many people who spend all their time and money seeking for pleasure.  They can be said to be possessed by the party spirit.  While they cannot afford to pay their children's school fees and provide for their basic essentials of life, they can afford the money for expensive party dresses, designer's perfumes and other such vanities.  Some even go to the extent of taking loans just to organise parties.

This is the spirit of the world and must not be found among Christians.  Christians are supposed to be discreet, prudent and wise in all their dealings.  Their lives are to be lived to the glory of the Lord.  We should also bear in mind that our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit which must not be defiled with alcohol or any other such defilements.

It is not only the Bible that warns today against the danger of alcohol and reckless pleasure seeking.  Government agencies have joined in the campaign.  The wise will take heed and keep off.

Stay alive, keep off the bottle!
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 12:17pm On Dec 07, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Ruined by the Bottle
Proverbs 21:16-31

"He that loves pleasure shall be a poor man: he that loves wine and oil shall not be rich." -- Proverbs 21:17

Stay alive, keep off the bottle! 

So is it also a sin to engage in all forms of pleasure? Including sports, sex with your spouse, eating, singing, etc?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:42am On Dec 08, 2011
italo:

So is it also a sin to engage in all forms of pleasure? Including sports, sex with your spouse, eating, singing, etc?

What do you understand by the following verse?

"But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth" (1 Timothy 5:6).
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 8:21am On Dec 08, 2011
I asked you a question, Mr. A simple one at that.
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:56pm On Dec 21, 2011
italo:

I asked you a question, Mr. A simple one at that.

Your answer is no. Now will you answer my kweshun? cheesy
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:58pm On Dec 21, 2011
Neither Wine nor Strong Drink

"For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb." (Luke 1:15)

Whether or not the Bible clearly commands total abstinence from alcohol for Christians, it is increasingly being recognized that alcohol is the most widely abused and dangerous drug of all—causing more fatal accidents and injuries, more broken homes, more intimate promiscuity, more job absenteeism, and more disease than cocaine or any other drug. Yet it is widely promoted socially and increasingly is being accepted even among evangelical Christians.

But the example of John the Baptist is worth considering. The angel Gabriel testified that he would be "great in the sight of the Lord" and then added that he would "drink neither wine nor strong drink," implying a connection between the two. Indeed, Christ called John the greatest man who had ever lived up to that time (Matthew 11:11)--that is, greater than even Abraham, Moses, or Daniel!

Then the very same verse says that John would "be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb," and he is the only man of whom that was ever said. Again there seems to be a connection, for no one could simultaneously drink wine or strong drink and also be filled with the Spirit. The apostle Paul also warned concerning this conflict when he said: "Be not drunk |literally, 'begin to be drunk'| with wine . . . but be filled |that is, 'be continually being filled'| with the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18).

Drinking alcoholic beverages in moderation may or may not be permissible, but that does not make it right. "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient" (1 Corinthians 6:12). At least in John's case, being great in God's sight and being filled with the Spirit were closely associated with abstinence from alcohol. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: The Very Good Wine by PastorKun(m): 4:32pm On Dec 21, 2011
@olaadegbu
As usual, your John the baptist analogy is very flawed except you are trying to claim John the baptist was more spiritual than Jesus himself bearing in mind that Jesus himself regularly consumed wine and even asked his true followers to also consume wine in memory of him.
Re: The Very Good Wine by debosky(m): 4:51pm On Dec 21, 2011
Another gem from Ola.

The bible is very explicit in saying John would not drink wine (is this referring to juice/ the 'good wine - the non-alcoholic form'? grin) or strong drink. Surely it wasn't difficult for God to also specify that Jesus would not drink and state it before his birth?

Any thoughts on why this wasn't stated?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:43pm On Dec 21, 2011
Pastor Kun:

@olaadegbu
As usual, your John the baptist analogy is very flawed except you are trying to claim John the baptist was more spiritual than Jesus himself

I won't be surprised if you misunderstand the analogy. John who was filled with the Holy Spirit at birth was the greatest man that ever live up till that time while Christ was conceived of the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ is God who created you even if you don't agree with His deity.

Pastor Kun:

bearing in mind that Jesus himself regularly consumed wine

Wine in Greek can be either fermented or unfermented. You have to give us the evidence that Jesus drank the fermented wine.

Pastor Kun:

and even asked his true followers to also consume wine in memory of him.

Where is your evidence that Jesus told His followers to consume wine in memory of Him?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:51pm On Dec 21, 2011
debosky:

Another gem from Ola.

The bible is very explicit in saying John would not drink wine (is this referring to juice/ the 'good wine - the non-alcoholic form'? grin) or strong drink.

You have to first determine the type of wine John was instructed not to drink, was it the fermented or unfermented wine or both?

debosky:

Surely it wasn't difficult for God to also specify that Jesus would not drink and state it before his birth?

Any thoughts on why this wasn't stated?

Yes it wasn't difficult but where Jesus specified the fruit of the vine to be used for Holy Communion why do folks still insist on going on the mind bender?  shocked
Re: The Very Good Wine by Image123(m): 11:31pm On Dec 21, 2011
^
Because their minds are bent?
Did i miss much?
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:41pm On Dec 21, 2011
Image123:

^
Because their minds are bent?
Did i miss much?

You are spot on. grin  That is why they are bent on insisting that Jesus drank alcohol so that they can continue on their mind bending activity. shocked
Re: The Very Good Wine by debosky(m): 11:57pm On Dec 21, 2011
@ Ola

Why are you also bent on insisting he didn't? We clearly can't conclude either way from the biblical text so why force the issue?

As for your article which implies being filled with the Holy Ghost linked with not drinking, the author clearly has a poor grasp of grammar and punctuation. The use of a semi colon before mentioning the Holy Spirit aspect shows that it is a separate issue altogether.

As for alcohol being the most abused 'drug' around, I'd counter that food is causing more havoc now with diabetes, heart disease and obesity reaching epidemic proportions - I don't see people seeking to stop folk from eating.

Such tenuous justifications will always fall flat on their faces - yes alcohol can be abused and is very dangerous if consumed in excess, but that potential to cause harm is not restricted to alcohol by any means.

Let each individual determine whether it is expedient to consume alcohol or not.
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 1:21am On Dec 22, 2011
Just like olaadegbu's habitual twisting and abuse of scripture should not deter us from using scripture altogether
Re: The Very Good Wine by Image123(m): 11:35am On Dec 22, 2011
^
He's only seeking to straighten your bent minds. It's the mind that's been straightened that makes it appear like the scripture's been twisted. It's like when you're looking through dark googles or a magnifier, be wise man, another year is dawning.
Re: The Very Good Wine by italo: 2:57pm On Dec 22, 2011
Please make some sense!
Re: The Very Good Wine by mazaje(m): 4:03pm On Dec 22, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Wine in Greek can be either fermented or unfermented.  You have to give us the evidence that Jesus drank the fermented wine.

Vinegar wine is alcoholic. . . .Jhn 19:29 Now a vessel full of sour wine(vinegar) was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth.
Jhn 19:30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

There it is spin master, spin it. . .
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:05pm On Dec 23, 2011
italo:

Just like olaadegbu's habitual twisting and abuse of scripture should not deter us from using scripture altogether

In addition to what image123 said, you can't think crooked and walk straight. shocked
Re: The Very Good Wine by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:26pm On Dec 23, 2011
debosky:

@ Ola

Why are you also bent on insisting he didn't? We clearly can't conclude either way from the biblical text so why force the issue?

Don't count me among those of you who can't conclude. You can't conclude the age of the earth, you can't conclude whether the Bible is speaking literally or metaphorically, you can't conclude whether the position of evolutionists are true or that of the creationist. This approach of I don't know is what the agnostics always take. There is no sitting on the fence in the Kingdom of God.

debosky:

As for your article which implies being filled with the Holy Ghost linked with not drinking, the author clearly has a poor grasp of grammar and punctuation. The use of a semi colon before mentioning the Holy Spirit aspect shows that it is a separate issue altogether.

With your sound grammar and punctuation, why don't you use it to determine which Jesus made and drank?

debosky:

As for alcohol being the most abused 'drug' around, I'd counter that food is causing more havoc now with diabetes, heart disease and obesity reaching epidemic proportions - I don't see people seeking to stop folk from eating.

Is alcohol a necessity? If you don't drink will you die? Food is necessary for our basic human needs. Alcohol may be necessary if you are prepared to die. undecided

"Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto him that be of heavy hearts" (Prov. 31:6).

debosky:

Such tenuous justifications will always fall flat on their faces - yes alcohol can be abused and is very dangerous if consumed in excess, but that potential to cause harm is not restricted to alcohol by any means.

If you insist on drinking no one is stopping you just don't use Jesus and the Bible as your excuse to drink.

debosky:

Let each individual determine whether it is expedient to consume alcohol or not.

Your happiness is not in the bottle but in the blood of the Lamb. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pope Claims Angels Greeting Mary As Being Full Of Grace Meant She Is Without Sin / Questions For Atheists ( Answer your easiest 5) / Prophet Detains WOMAN In A Room Whilelooking For CONDOMS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.